Question about Taranis Vs. Devo

More
18 Jun 2014 12:08 - 18 Jun 2014 12:10 #24137 by WheresWaldo
Question about Taranis Vs. Devo was created by WheresWaldo
This might be only for PB but if anyone else can weigh in I would be happy to hear opinions.

I am looking for something with more manual controls than my Devo10 and have searched for an inexpensive Devo12S, what I am finding is that a lot of resellers have now limited or no stock of the 12S and have moved on to the 12E. PB has mentioned that he was not going to buy a 12E just to make sure Deviation works on it. The Taranis on the other hand has a huge following and more manual control devices, I just don't think the way they implemented modules was the best way to do it. But it does have some advantages and PB is doing some development on it to port Deviation as well as creating a single all-in-one module for it. The Taranis is also getting harder to find, especially with talk of the Taranis Plus.

So my question is: We all know the quality of the Devo 7/8S/10/12S, how does the quality and feel of the Taranis stack up? What is the future of Deviation on the Taranis? Will some of the features of OpenTX (voice prompts, LUA, 6 position encoder, etc.) become part of the Deviated Taranis?

All comments are welcome.
Last edit: 18 Jun 2014 12:10 by WheresWaldo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jun 2014 13:48 #24139 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Question about Taranis Vs. Devo
The Taranis is a great Tx. I don't like some of the implementation choices they made in their hardware, but it seems to be very well built. While I have Deviation mostly running on it, getting any protocols other than Frsky working on it has been a challenge. They just did not provide enough access to the board to make hooking up alternate modules easy.

I'm honestly not sure there is any advantage on finishing the port of Deviation to the Taranis. the OpenTX community is quite robust, and their software should be just as capable (if not more so) than Deviation. It also directly supports all the features of the Tx. I am not sure I have the resources to dedicate to adding equivalent support in Deviation.

Assuming the UniversalTx board works and gets into production somehow, it will provide a solution to the Taranis either stock (using a smartphone to configure the protocol), or alternatively likely with a reasonably easy patch to the OpenTx software stack to give Deviation-like protocol access in the Tx.

As far as 12E support goes, I'd probably be willing to implement it in Deviation if I can find one at reasonable cost.

More
18 Jun 2014 13:49 #24140 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Question about Taranis Vs. Devo
Also, for your money, you get a lot more from a Taranis than a Devo12E.

More
18 Jun 2014 14:24 #24141 by WheresWaldo
Replied by WheresWaldo on topic Question about Taranis Vs. Devo
Thought about the cost factor also. The Taranis is even a bit less than the 12E. That is the way I am leaning right now. But I will use the Devo10 for everything else.

Time to create page: 0.033 seconds