how to make devo 8s screen more visible in the sun

More
31 May 2014 10:28 #23779 by madness_method
hey all...i just got my devo 8s a few weeks ago and i gotta say coming from spektrum dx8, the devo 8s is unbelievable, is there anything it can't do??? when i got my first computer radio, i spent a long time deciding which one to get. i went with the spektrum dx8. it wasn't a bad radio but i found out about the ability to hack the walkera devo radios so i decided to give the devo 8s a try and nothing has been the same since.
i can honestly say that i would've gone with the devo 8s instead of the spektrum had i found out about the deviation firmware sooner! for comparison, i think the physical quality of the spektrum dx8 is two times better than the devo 8s but the functionality of the devo 8s is five times better, do the math. i can go from model 1 to model 2 of a different frequency protocol to the pc simulator and back to model 1 again when the motor is cool enough to be flown again. it's non-stop action!

from having flown outdoor in the sunlight, one thing i don't like about the devo 8s is the lcd screen. it's terrible in bright lights. even if you have it turned up all the way, you can barely see anything if at all.

anybody has any suggestions on how to make it more visible in the sun?

mm.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 May 2014 13:19 - 31 May 2014 13:19 #23785 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic how to make devo 8s screen more visible in the sun
buy a devo10 :)
seriously, the debo8 screen is awful in sunlight.you can create a shade (I think I saw a post about someone making one out of cardboard a while ago, but searching all I find is someone recommending to try to build one). the devo6 and devo12 are better, the B/W screens of the devo7e/10 are better still.

One thing you can do is to install a high-contrast theme from the 'Custom Skins' section. If you search for high-contrast, you should find one or 2. I've also heard that this actually works pretty well even though it isn't specifically high-contrast:
deviationtx.com/forum/custom-skins/2408-new-color-skin
Last edit: 31 May 2014 13:19 by PhracturedBlue.

More
31 May 2014 22:37 - 31 May 2014 23:50 #23796 by flint723

madness_method wrote: hey all...i just got my devo 8s a few weeks ago and i gotta say coming from spektrum dx8, the devo 8s is unbelievable, is there anything it can't do??? when i got my first computer radio, i spent a long time deciding which one to get. i went with the spektrum dx8. it wasn't a bad radio but i found out about the ability to hack the walkera devo radios so i decided to give the devo 8s a try and nothing has been the same since.
i can honestly say that i would've gone with the devo 8s instead of the spektrum had i found out about the deviation firmware sooner! for comparison, i think the physical quality of the spektrum dx8 is two times better than the devo 8s but the functionality of the devo 8s is five times better, do the math. i can go from model 1 to model 2 of a different frequency protocol to the pc simulator and back to model 1 again when the motor is cool enough to be flown again. it's non-stop action!

from having flown outdoor in the sunlight, one thing i don't like about the devo 8s is the lcd screen. it's terrible in bright lights. even if you have it turned up all the way, you can barely see anything if at all.

anybody has any suggestions on how to make it more visible in the sun?

mm.

I use a 2s LiFe (6.6v) in my 8s and it makes the screen noticeably brighter. Still not visible in direct sunlight but in a pinch you can shade the screen with your hand to change settings.

If I buy another Devo it will be either a 10 or 12
Last edit: 31 May 2014 23:50 by flint723.

More
01 Jun 2014 10:21 #23817 by madness_method
Replied by madness_method on topic how to make devo 8s screen more visible in the sun
thanks for letting me know about the skin, it looks great in the preview, i downloaded it but it doesn't contain installation instructions. do i just copy everything over to the devo?

More
01 Jun 2014 10:33 #23818 by madness_method
Replied by madness_method on topic how to make devo 8s screen more visible in the sun
flint723, i tried the hand thing, didn't work for me. i didn't have a free hand to press the buttons with. right now i just turn the screen away from the sun and put my face up real close to it until i can see it through my shadow.

More
01 Jun 2014 13:34 #23821 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic how to make devo 8s screen more visible in the sun

madness_method wrote: thanks for letting me know about the skin, it looks great in the preview, i downloaded it but it doesn't contain installation instructions. do i just copy everything over to the devo?

Yes in the 'media' directory

More
01 Jun 2014 21:32 #23832 by madness_method
installed the skin and it looks awesome on my devo 8s! it goes better with the custom heli.bmp and plane.bmp icons i made...thumbs up for henkerhaus for making the skin

so i still have the original screen protector attached to the screen on my 8s, if i peel it off, will that help with better visibility in the sun? i think part of the problem is because there's a lot of reflections reflecting off of it but i just don't want any scratches on the touch screen.

More
02 Jun 2014 05:02 #23844 by esklarski
Peel off that protector. It's absorbing a large chunk of the emitted light from the screen. My 6s screen is hard to read in the sun but not impossible, the 8s can't be that much worse.

More
02 Jun 2014 05:10 #23845 by PhracturedBlue
Actually, the 8S is significantly worse than the Devo6. Maybe it is the slightly smaller screen. Maybe stronger LEDs, but whatever it is, the Devo6 is better in this regards.

More
02 Jun 2014 23:14 #23863 by madness_method
yea, i suspect that peeling off the screen protector will make the screen much more visible but i use my fingernail to press on the touch screen, will this be a problem?

PhracturedBlue, on that new skin that i installed on my 8s, i noticed some of the button icons don't show up, for example, when i toggle the switches, the gear, mix, and fmod switches don't produce an icon when i toggle them. also, when i go into the main page config screen, i'm missing the create object button(the plus sign), how do i fix this?

More
05 Jun 2014 10:35 #23919 by madness_method
ok, yea i'm gonna leave the screen protector on for the time being. i'm not gonna risk scratching the screen to have a little more visibility. i don't think it's gonna make that much difference anyway

and....after little experimenting, i figured out that the 8s skin was missing some icons. i copied over the icons from the original deviation theme and everything was fine. also i found out that some of the switches don't produce any icons on the main screen when toggled because you have to map them to the icons first.
it's a nice skin, i like it better than the original deviation, although i thought there would be more skins to download, this is the only real skin available right now.

More
07 Jun 2014 18:35 #23953 by Blayd
Yeah, I've been on the Devo 8S for about 6 months now, and the display is a killer for me.
I cant see a thing at the field. I am going to HAVE to try something. I just dont have money to replace two Devo 8S Tx's right now.

Devo 8S
Trex500ESP
Trex500ESP (Belted tail)
HC500SE
Trex700N2E

More
10 Jun 2014 13:44 #24019 by ledfreak3d
I have no problem with the screen in sunlight but im running the devo on 2s lipo

also don't use the screen don't have time to look at it during flying

More
10 Jun 2014 22:56 #24024 by madness_method
thanks for the info, it's good to know that i have the option of using the lipo with the 8s to make the screen brighter. i'll have to try that sometime.

another way that i thought might work is putting a thin, dark film over the screen to make the lcd stand out more. it sounds good in theory but i'm not sure how well it will work. if it works then this is probably the cheapest and easiest way.

More
11 Jun 2014 09:44 #24029 by ledfreak3d
that might help the screen is also very reflective
and that also does not help on sunny days

More
15 Jun 2014 13:39 #24091 by Blayd

ledfreak3d wrote: I have no problem with the screen in sunlight but im running the devo on 2s lipo

also don't use the screen don't have time to look at it during flying

I dont look at it flying either, but I fly 4 heli's in the Devo 8S and need to see the screen for changing, and checking set ups, and making adjustments to gains... its a pain.
And as for the 2S lipo.. I thought people were burning out Tx's with anything over 6v??

Devo 8S
Trex500ESP
Trex500ESP (Belted tail)
HC500SE
Trex700N2E

More
15 Jun 2014 14:59 - 15 Jun 2014 15:00 #24092 by PhracturedBlue
I personally wouldn't recommend a 2S in a Devo8. Yes some people do it. I think Walkera even sells them now? But I've seen enough anecdotal reports to say that it is pushing past the original design operating point, and reducing the safety margin for burning out the LDO circuit. It is possible they beefed up that circuit on more recent versions of the Tx, I really can't say about that.

Note that the voltage regulator in a Devo transmitter is a linear regulator. that means that it converts any voltage over the target voltage (3.3V) into heat. So a 1000maH 5V pack and a 1000maH 7.2V pack will last exactly the same time, but the latter will produce a lot more heat. There are actually 2 LDOs on the Devo Tx: 1 for the transmitter itself, and another on the transceiver module.

That said, there may be places where the higher voltage is used directly. I'm not sure if the backlight is one, but given that many users have said that it gets brighter, I assume it is.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2014 15:00 by PhracturedBlue.

More
30 Jun 2014 19:26 #24316 by saidem
Hello there
I have a devo8s I would go under deviation. I would like to put on the new skin color and Adding a vibration motor. How do I do, what versions use and in what order?
Thank you for everything.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds