Deviation 5.0 release requirements

More
26 Mar 2016 00:53 #45198 by PhracturedBlue
Deviation 5.0 release requirements was created by PhracturedBlue
It is no secret that I am completely out of the loop on the current Deviation status, but it has been made very apparent to me that a new release is needed and it is needed soon. I tried to make one last year around this time, and in the end never got there, so I want to set a schedule of no more than 2 weeks from today to get 5.0 out the door. Maybe it won't be as polished as we'd like, but at this point delaying is causing more harm than good.

However for this to happen, I need to know what things are currently holding up a release now. Since I'm not yet fully engaged, I need you users and developers to help put together a list of what is currently critical that must happen before 5.0 is released.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2016 03:41 #45200 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Deviation 5.0 release requirements
My list is really short - another manual audit to make sure the changes are documented. I believe that's mostly getting the protocols up to date.

I would very much like to see the new FrSky X protocol (aka D16) that's under development make it into a release as well, but don't know that it'll be ready in that time frame.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
26 Mar 2016 06:38 #45209 by billmester
Replied by billmester on topic Deviation 5.0 release requirements
Hoooraaay!!!! Next releaseeee!!!
As I am an "old boy" here, and have 2 modules wired in the original way, it would be great to have clear, updated instructions how to rewire them for the new release.
I promised to do the resoldering when a new release comes out.
Thanks
bm

More
26 Mar 2016 06:53 #45210 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic Deviation 5.0 release requirements

mwm wrote: My list is really short - another manual audit to make sure the changes are documented. I believe that's mostly getting the protocols up to date.

I would very much like to see the new FrSky X protocol (aka D16) that's under development make it into a release as well, but don't know that it'll be ready in that time frame.

Agreed, I think Frsky X would actually make a nice "big" feature for this, considering the amount of users.
At least a stable protocol version with the basic telemetry (A1, RSSI) should be included, even if hub/smartport is not complete.

More
26 Mar 2016 13:53 #45220 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Deviation 5.0 release requirements
We've been that path before, and I don't want to take it again. I know protocols are important, but they are also the most modular part of the system. I don't want to wait for the next big thing. We'll do a 5.0 release, and if FrskyX (or something else) comes in later, we'll do a 5.1 to add them in.

More
26 Mar 2016 15:36 #45226 by mwm
One other thing I'd like: PB, what are YOUR requirements for a release? After all, those are the critical ones!

More
26 Mar 2016 15:53 #45229 by PhracturedBlue
I want people to stop asking when the next release is coming :)

Seriously, the primary requirements for a release are that any known critical bugs are resolved, and that the documentation is up to date. Given how long it has been since the 4.0 release, I'm not likely to hold up the release on any features at this time.

More
27 Mar 2016 00:10 #45250 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Deviation 5.0 release requirements
PR for FrskyX won't be ready till some telemetry changes (alt and vario are signed), and not much time for deviation for another week or two.

As a heli guy I'd like to see the cyclic mixers fixed for the next release (Mantis #624) but that does break model files. But breaking things is the only reason for releases anyway - fixes are in the nightlies ;)

More
01 Apr 2016 07:40 #45543 by YARIMbe
Replied by YARIMbe on topic Deviation 5.0 release requirements
Hi PB,

Pls consider even partially support the Devo F7, it's better to have some options than none.
I know about the problems with this one but I'm sure there is a way to enjoy at least some of the options.

Tnx

More
01 Apr 2016 11:48 #45550 by richardclli
Replied by richardclli on topic Deviation 5.0 release requirements
Hey, PB you are back. :cheer:

More
04 Apr 2016 04:36 #45760 by richardclli
So any actual plan for releasing 5.0? I would like to help anyway.

More
04 Apr 2016 19:23 #45792 by kubus
Replied by kubus on topic Deviation 5.0 release requirements
Due to a current issue....

I would appreciate a possibility to choose your stick-mode modelwise and not just generally for the transmitter.
This would make things for people like me, who use different stick modes for helicopters and planes, a little easier.

More
04 Apr 2016 19:45 #45794 by PhracturedBlue
I am going to try to fix the F7 and F12E build issues before the 5.0 release. I do not plan on adding any new features to the build between now and then (unless some new protocols are ready before I am)

More
04 Apr 2016 22:14 #45800 by richardclli
So you are going to merge changes selectively? Let us know when you start working on it. I would like to do more testing on release candidates.

More
04 Apr 2016 23:05 #45806 by PhracturedBlue
Not sure what you mean. I have no pending changes for any transmitters except the F7 at this time (so you should consider the current builds for the 6//8/10/12/7e to be 'release candidates'). I do not expect to get the F7 fully functional for this release (I am not planning to hold the release for the necessary menu work) but it should be at least basically functional (and I have patches that should get it there). Then I'll tackle the F12E and see if I can figure out the cause of the shifted display. Then, unless there are any showstopper issues, I will release it as is.

More
05 Apr 2016 15:53 - 05 Apr 2016 15:55 #45838 by Artus
Replied by Artus on topic Deviation 5.0 release requirements
I am a USER if I can help I will do. Especially F12E is my next project.

DEVO10 4in1 V5.0 DEVO F12E 4in1 V5
Align TREX 100 (3) Hubsan Q4
Walkera QRW100S Walkera QRX 350 Pro (FPV)
Walkera QRX 350 PREMIUM
DIY 100 mm Micro QUAD - HGLRCF4F5PRO with INAV
Last edit: 05 Apr 2016 15:55 by Artus.

More
05 Apr 2016 15:59 #45841 by mwm
+Artus, there are two things you can do as a user to help.

1. Run the nightly builds as release candidates.

2. Audit the online manuals to for anything that might be missing. Mostly, I'm worried about protocols, because I don't think we've done anything else but bug fixes since the last such audit.

More
05 Apr 2016 16:56 #45848 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Deviation 5.0 release requirements
Will be nice to fix nightly builds, last is 2016-03-19.

More
06 Apr 2016 15:43 #45927 by mwm
The only change since that build is a change to an informative message in the build process. The test for whether or not a build should be done may be smart enough to realize that, but I'm not sure what that is doing, so maybe not. For that matter, the build process may be checking the changed message, and the change (fixing a typo) may have broken the build.

More
06 Apr 2016 16:06 #45933 by PhracturedBlue
The nightly reliability will be much improved once we have auto-builds running on TravisCI since anyone will be able to debug. I plan to do that before the 5.0 release as well.
The current problem was related to using binary constants, which one of the 3 different compilers used to build the nightlies didn't like. I've patched the code and nightlies are running again.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds