Expo

More
03 Aug 2017 00:55 #63690 by daviesC
Expo was created by daviesC
Devo 8s with version 5

I am having issues setting up expo in advanced gui with complex mix. Problem is when I have for example an aileron mix with 3 point curve set with less than 100% travel, then when I add another mix to add expo the travel goes back out to 100%. Expo can be 0, it does this as soon as I add the expo mix.

It is for a wing with flapperons. Tried many variations and get same problem. As soon as I add expo, aileron travel goes out to 100%. Settings in ail 3 point curve don't change.

Any help appreciated

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Aug 2017 02:32 #63691 by daviesC
Replied by daviesC on topic Expo
Very strange. Doesn't matter what I try.

To make sure, i just used a new model, did an aileron 3 point mix and left end points at 100%, added an expo mix, left it at 0 % and aileron travel goes out to 150%. I am beginning to think either my tx has a bug if not deviation does.

More
03 Aug 2017 07:38 #63693 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Expo
Based on what you said in the second post, everything is working exactly as it should. Since your description is missing a lot of details I'm guessing at, so maybe not.

Your 3-point mix at 100% at both ends will act like a 1-1, scale 100 offset 0 mix if the center point is 0.

You added a second mix of type expo. At 0% with default values, that's again a 1-1, scale 100 offset 0 mix. Most importantly, the default mux type is add, so the value of this mix is added to the output of the previous mix. If they have the same input, any input over 75% will mean the output is 150%, which is the default maximum output for a channel.

Just delete the 3-point mix and see what that does. Maybe set the expo to 30% or so as well to see what expo does.

Best bet would be to search for a flaperon template on the forums or in the wiki.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
03 Aug 2017 08:39 #63694 by daviesC

mwm wrote: Based on what you said in the second post, everything is working exactly as it should. Since your description is missing a lot of details I'm guessing at, so maybe not.

Your 3-point mix at 100% at both ends will act like a 1-1, scale 100 offset 0 mix if the center point is 0.

You added a second mix of type expo. At 0% with default values, that's again a 1-1, scale 100 offset 0 mix. Most importantly, the default mux type is add, so the value of this mix is added to the output of the previous mix. If they have the same input, any input over 75% will mean the output is 150%, which is the default maximum output for a channel.

Just delete the 3-point mix and see what that does. Maybe set the expo to 30% or so as well to see what expo does.

Best bet would be to search for a flaperon template on the forums or in the wiki.

I am not new to deviation, have 50 models on 8s now. have done flaperons before just never with expo on ailerons. Have tried many many things, nothing works as it should as i see it. Have tried what you suggested. have tried with like only 20 % both ends of 3 point, no 3 point etc etc etc, Many different settings in fact, have been at it for hours. Have many other tx like JR Hitec etc, none increase travel when expo is used.

Why can't I simply add expo to aileron without this happening. Again, makes no sense to me.

Could someone spare a minute or two and try it on there tx and see output on monitor. Can't be right.

More
03 Aug 2017 08:44 #63695 by daviesC
If I choose simple mix instead of complex mix and use expo curve it works correctly and does not increase travel. Why won't it do this in complex mix??????

More
03 Aug 2017 09:00 #63696 by daviesC
Unless someone has a solution I am convinced deviation has a bug to do with expo with complex mix.

If mix 1 is setup for expo, then I add mix 2 with 3 point curve, and set end points to say 15, it adds the 15 increasing travel to 115%. Clearly I want to limit travel, not necessarily to 15%, that is just an example. Travel should be 15% and have expo.

I need PB on this one I think.

More
03 Aug 2017 09:22 - 03 Aug 2017 09:24 #63697 by daviesC
My answer could be in this post, if so I suspect it will take much time to figure it out.

www.deviationtx.com/forum/model-configs/...perons-and-3-dr#5379

Not looking forward to this, virtual channels and mixers, all for something so simple.
Last edit: 03 Aug 2017 09:24 by daviesC.

More
03 Aug 2017 10:54 #63698 by daviesC
Getting closer.

One thing escapes though, how do I change a virtual channels destination?

More
03 Aug 2017 11:07 - 03 Aug 2017 11:09 #63699 by daviesC
how to "set" virtual channels destination? would be a better way of putting it

If this all works the answer to my original expo problem is as follows:

add expo to simple template for aileron
then do all other mixing etc in a virtual channel complex template with aileron channel as its destination
Last edit: 03 Aug 2017 11:09 by daviesC.

More
03 Aug 2017 11:57 #63700 by daviesC
mmmmmmm

having studied the config i linked and done a few tests i'm back to square one, and think there is a bug with expo and complex template.

In the config i linked it shows Ch2 for example to use the expo-dr template then goes on to show several mixes for that channel.

where's PB????????????????

More
03 Aug 2017 12:16 - 03 Aug 2017 12:35 #63701 by daviesC
i think i have it sorted, the following post and config got me on the right path

www.deviationtx.com/forum/model-template...mixer-template#17778

Use simple template for aileron with expo as curve type and virtual channel as source

do all mixing etc on the virtual channel used as source in the simple template
Last edit: 03 Aug 2017 12:35 by daviesC.

More
03 Aug 2017 12:48 #63702 by daviesC
almost

ailerons with differential work and have expo, but flaps also have expo, not ideal but does work.

real solution is to obviously fix expo/complex template bug

More
04 Aug 2017 03:09 #63708 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Expo
I'm really not sure what you are trying to achieve? Why are you "adding expo" after the first curve?
Are you just wanting normal ailerons with expo, with flap positions added (the 3-point curve?)
I'd just setup the aileron responding to roll as per normal, with expo dialed in on that curve. Then ADD a second mixer page with your 3-point curve, or add several different mixers with Fixed values, each assigned to a switch position.
It all depends on how you build up the layers of mixers, get them in the wrong order and things go pear-shaped.

Somewhere or other I've got a model for my Vampire EDF with triple rates, "variable differential" (differential based on rudder position), and delay (slowed transition) on flaperons/spoilerons; if this is of any use to you I should be able to track it down tonight?

More
04 Aug 2017 04:00 #63709 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Expo
You can't "set a virtual channels destination". That doesn't make sense. A virtual channel is a destination. How would you set Atlanta's destination? Of course, like Atlanta, a virtual channel is also a source. If you want the value of a virtual channel to show up on a transmitter channel, use that virtual channel as the src for a mix on the transmitter channel.

If you think you have found a bug, please post a proper bug report. That should include:
  1. A detailed description of what you did. This is critical; if we can't reproduce those steps, we can't fix it. For this case, a copy of the .ini file that's misbehaving is a good start.
  2. A description of what you expected to happen. The more details the better.
  3. A description of what actually happened. Again, the more details, the better.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
04 Aug 2017 04:25 - 04 Aug 2017 04:28 #63711 by daviesC

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: I'm really not sure what you are trying to achieve? Why are you "adding expo" after the first curve?

1)glider with flaperons, obviously using two servos, ailerons must have expo and differential. Flaps on thr stick. It all works perfect until i add the expo.

2) as i already said, have tried many things including order of mixes, eg expo first expo last and everything in between

I thought I was close, but now know it still is not working. Problem occurs when i add expo, it changes travel and or neutral "and it shouldn't", that much i know

I still think expo in complex template is suspect
Last edit: 04 Aug 2017 04:28 by daviesC.

More
04 Aug 2017 06:27 - 04 Aug 2017 06:39 #63713 by Wene001
Replied by Wene001 on topic Expo
i would solve it this way
1. standard Aileron with Expo
2. factor for differential (3 point curve both values positive + mux is multi)
3. add flaps

in this variant you can set expo and differential individually

[channel2]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
usetrim=0
curvetype=expo
points=50,50
[mixer]
src=AIL
dest=Ch2
muxtype=multiply
curvetype=3point
points=50,0,100
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch2
usetrim=0
muxtype=add
curvetype=3point
points=-30,0,30
Last edit: 04 Aug 2017 06:39 by Wene001.

More
04 Aug 2017 06:50 - 04 Aug 2017 07:03 #63714 by daviesC
Thanks

However i already tried that last night and while it works the ailerons have a very large deadband. in other words, you have to move stick a long way before you get any movement on aileron, and I don't like it at all.

Have still been trying things with no luck, just going round in circles now.
Last edit: 04 Aug 2017 07:03 by daviesC.

More
04 Aug 2017 07:02 #63715 by daviesC
What i need is for someone to confirm there is an issue.

That said, won't help me in the short term as I suspect it would be some time before problem is fixed.

Charging Hitec at the moment, I know everything, including expo works as it should.

More
04 Aug 2017 07:13 - 04 Aug 2017 07:17 #63717 by Wene001
Replied by Wene001 on topic Expo
i think all works as expected
if you ADD another page then the values from both pages are summerized.
You have to use multiply. (or combine expo and differential in one curve)
Or i´m wrong?

No problems here with deadband...maybe to much expo?
Last edit: 04 Aug 2017 07:17 by Wene001.

More
04 Aug 2017 07:17 - 04 Aug 2017 07:20 #63718 by daviesC
Tried exactly what you said, big aileron deadband, don't like it.

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Time to move on.

edit: not to much expo
Last edit: 04 Aug 2017 07:20 by daviesC.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds