Frsky compatibility

More
10 Mar 2013 03:47 - 10 Mar 2013 03:47 #7579 by PhracturedBlue
Frsky compatibility was created by PhracturedBlue
I have the Frsky one-way protocol working now. While the 1-way protocol is older than the 2-way protocol, and not used by current Rx, I decided to tackle it 1st because it was undocumented and therefore more challenging.

There are already docs/code available for the 2-way protocol (though I'm not sure about telemetry) so I expect getting that working should not be too hard.

I've checked in the code but it is not actually enabled on any transmitter.
Now that I need to support 2 different modules (A7105 and CC2500) I need to find a way to support using one, or both of them, so it is very likely I won't actually enable support for the CC2500 until after the 3.0 release.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 03:47 by PhracturedBlue.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2013 05:17 - 10 Mar 2013 05:28 #7580 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Frsky compatibility
Is there a specific module you are using?

There are modules that support cc2500 and a7105... would they actually work for both?

www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Long-ra...13037_618156421.html

I'll need to figure out how to install it in the devo12 as well.

One of the things that concerns me is that we are able to get the same range as using a real frsky module. The frsky module will not run on 3.3 volt.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 05:28 by Hexperience.

More
10 Mar 2013 05:40 - 10 Mar 2013 05:46 #7582 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Frsky compatibility
I have this, courtesy of twaithm (who bought it for me and send it over from Japan, thanks Mike) since the chinese wanted like $50 shipping to Romania.

www.aliexpress.com/item/CC2500-PA-LNA-wi...-2-4G/359941652.html

It doesn't have the SMA connecter soldered on board but a Hirose U.FL micro. I then just bought 2 FrSky antennas from HK, 15cm long. Should be easier to mount inside the transmitter. Only downside is it has 17dbm versus 20dbm for the one in your link. Spec wise, anyway.

And by the way, thanks PB, great news!

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 05:46 by sbstnp.

More
10 Mar 2013 06:00 - 10 Mar 2013 06:02 #7586 by Hexperience

sbstnp wrote: I have this, courtesy of twaithm (who bought it for me and send it over from Japan, thanks Mike) since the chinese wanted like $50 shipping to Romania.

www.aliexpress.com/item/CC2500-PA-LNA-wi...-2-4G/359941652.html

It doesn't have the SMA connecter soldered on board but a Hirose U.FL micro. I then just bought 2 FrSky antennas from HK, 15cm long. Should be easier to mount inside the transmitter. Only downside is it has 17dbm versus 20dbm for the one in your link. Spec wise, anyway.

And by the way, thanks PB, great news!

I ordered the same one I posted (the 20dbm one) but from ebay.

And yes, thanks PB!! I have about 8 frsky two way RX's... Full range with telemetry would be fantastic! Then I really will only need 1 TX!

One of my planes has a return to home feature, so I'll really be able to test the range... ;)

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 06:02 by Hexperience.

More
10 Mar 2013 12:28 - 10 Mar 2013 12:28 #7593 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Frsky compatibility

Hexperience wrote: Is there a specific module you are using?

There are modules that support cc2500 and a7105... would they actually work for both?

www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Long-ra...13037_618156421.html

I'll need to figure out how to install it in the devo12 as well.

One of the things that concerns me is that we are able to get the same range as using a real frsky module. The frsky module will not run on 3.3 volt.

There is nothing in the description that says the module has a double chipset (CC2500 and A7105).

I'm not aware of a double chipset module, that you can buy for 20$ if they exist at all, but I could be wrong.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 12:28 by blackmoon.

More
10 Mar 2013 12:35 #7595 by Hexperience
It says it right in the name "SI4432/NRF24L01P/A7105 " but I don't know much about it so thats why I was asking... PB has said before that sometimes they just say the chip can do more than it really does.

More
10 Mar 2013 12:52 - 10 Mar 2013 12:52 #7597 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Frsky compatibility
That description is used for any module you will find on Chinese Eshops.

It's a pita, if you have to search for a specific one, because you have to check the product description to know what chipset comes in the module.

To have two or more chipsets in one module, you have to use some others chips like high frequency multiplexers and match the antenna impedance for each chipset, this increases dramatically the price you will pay for such a solution.

Maybe one skilled individual would make such type of modules in the future, more now that you have a firmware like deviation that supports them, then Chinese companies will just clone it.

Don't hold your breath tough for them to invest in the R&D for this niche market.
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 12:52 by blackmoon.

More
10 Mar 2013 13:31 - 10 Mar 2013 13:35 #7602 by Hexperience
Thanks, blackmoon. So the one that I posted is just CC2500 right? Which is completely fine because I have no use for the A7105.

Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 13:35 by Hexperience.

More
10 Mar 2013 13:42 - 10 Mar 2013 13:42 #7603 by sbstnp

Hexperience wrote: Thanks, blackmoon. So the one that I posted is just CC2500 right? Which is completely fine because I have no use for the A7105.

Looks like you're safe, it is CC2500. The chinese basically do SEO (Search Engine Optimization) by including keywords they don't belong there just to pop up in a search. They learned from the western world. Internet has turned into a very dirty place.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 10 Mar 2013 13:42 by sbstnp.

More
10 Mar 2013 13:58 #7605 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Frsky compatibility
Yep, always read the descriptions of what you're buying :)
I am testing with the module sbstnp posted at the moment. The one hexperience posted is also fine.

More
10 Mar 2013 14:07 #7606 by Hexperience
Will this module require another antenna hole in the tx?

More
10 Mar 2013 16:37 #7614 by PhracturedBlue
It depends on what you want to do with it.
For park-flying, keeping the antenna within the tx is fine, though fitting a rigid antenna would be difficult.

Another option would be to use the module sbstnp listed, buy 2 non-rigid U.Fl antennas attach one to the CYRF module, and one to the CC2500 and then use a 'shell' antenna cover (like the devo7e has) to exit the Tx. There sould be no issue having 2 antennas next to each other as long as only one is powered at any given time.

More
10 Mar 2013 16:47 #7615 by Hexperience
Yeah, I'm looking for long range so I'll have to get it outside the tx. I already ordered the one with the rigid antenna, but I can try to mount it so that the antenna mount is out of the tx and just run slightly longer wires back to where ever I have to connect it.

I'm really really hoping the 12s has an easy spot to solder these because I can't solder small stuff like onto a pin.

More
10 Mar 2013 17:06 #7617 by PhracturedBlue
The soldering will be the same difficulty as for the Flysky module on the Devo8. Read through the instructions there. The installation will be nearly identical.

More
11 Mar 2013 00:48 #7626 by PhracturedBlue
I have the 2way protocol working now too.
I do not have telemetry working, as I haven't found any documentation about how it works yet.

More
11 Mar 2013 08:06 - 11 Mar 2013 08:56 #7636 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Frsky compatibility
The best flexible antenna for Tx modules and telemetry modules. The same antenna can be found inside 2.1dBi rigid antenna (DX8, WiFi).

www.himodel.com/radios/250mm_Long_2.4G_R..._Receivers_2pcs.html

www.himodel.com/radios/400mm_Long_2.4G_R..._Receivers_2pcs.html

www.himodel.com/radios/600mm_Long_2.4G_R..._Receivers_2pcs.html

The same antenna used in Walkera telemetry module
Last edit: 11 Mar 2013 08:56 by vlad_vy.

More
25 Mar 2013 21:30 #8080 by Hexperience
Just wondering if anyone has flown with Frsky protocol yet? My module will be here in a day or two... can't wait to try it out!!

More
26 Mar 2013 04:39 #8087 by sbstnp

Hexperience wrote: Just wondering if anyone has flown with Frsky protocol yet? My module will be here in a day or two... can't wait to try it out!!

I intend to, I have the module but my receivers are still on the way :(

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
26 Mar 2013 14:05 #8101 by PhracturedBlue
As per the skyartec thread it appears I messed up the connection table. I'd probably hold off on wiring it up until the issues have been resolved.

More
26 Mar 2013 15:41 #8109 by sbstnp
I haven't wired up anything yet. Even more, I took off the A7105 module, gonna think about a nicer way to connect everything up inside my 10.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds