What's your favorite nano size quad for Deviation?

More
10 Mar 2015 03:23 #29513 by Tryptych
I've got the Proto X SLT, and will be modding my Devo 7e soon so I can fly it. I'm wondering if this is the best nano sized quad you can get that is compatible with Deviation. I also have a Cheerson CX-10 but these new ones are no longer Deviation compatible so I am ruling it out for this reason.

So, is the Proto X SLT the king of the Deviation compatible nano sized quads? Anyone else got a favorite?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2015 02:17 #29581 by vvs
Blade Nano QX is awesome quad, I don't think there is any nano quad which can beat it. Amazing in stability mode and very challenging in agility.

Plus no hardware mode required, it just work using DSMX protocol.

More
12 Mar 2015 04:09 #29587 by mwm
The Nano QX is still one of the best indoor quads, but it's not what the rest of the industry considers "nano" size. Check out the first picture in my review of the Proto X/Proto X SLT . Most of the industry considers quads in the 100mm size range to be "micro". What they call "nano" quads are much smaller, and Blade's entry in that size range would be the Pico QX. Not DSM, and from what I can tell from the reviews, not something that's going to displace either the Proto X or the Cheerson X-10 on any "best nanos" lists.

It's really hard to say what's the best without actually flying them all, because the reviewers tend to use the RTF Tx's, and that can make an amazing difference in how something flies. I think one of the reasons that the Proto X is still considered one of the best is that the RTF tx is really nice tx for something selling in the toy grade price bracket. That you can upgrade to the Hubsan X4 Tx (hands down the best RTF tx I've ever used) or deviation only helps that.

FWIW, if you're going to fly a Proto X with deviation, I recommend getting the original one, just to have a reasonable nano-size Tx to fly with. The SLT Tx doesn't have much size-wise on a Devo 7e or 6s, so there's not much use for it.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
20 Mar 2015 22:47 - 20 Mar 2015 22:48 #29971 by Tryptych

mwm wrote: The Nano QX is still one of the best indoor quads, but it's not what the rest of the industry considers "nano" size.

Yeah I have a Nano QX in my fleet, it's definitely a contender for 'best indoor flier', but I think there is something to be said for the true nano-sized quads as well, for indoors smaller and quieter is better. So I'm looking for the king of the Nano's for my Devo 7e...

I finally modded my Devo 7e today... A7105 and nRF24L01. I was able to fly my Hubsan X4 with no problems, but like you my Proto SLT would not bind. Pretty bummed. However, as I have never tested the mod/chip with anything else I cannot say for certain where the problem is, I need to test with another quad before I can say for certain.

But while we're on the subject: has anyone here gotten the Proto X SLT to bind?
Last edit: 20 Mar 2015 22:48 by Tryptych.

More
21 Mar 2015 23:01 - 21 Mar 2015 23:22 #30017 by Skysurfer
Speaking of the Nano Qx which I own and would vote for. I really need to ask this so I can vote. How to assign stability and agility modes to a Devo 10?
Also just got my QX and have yet to log a flight. It was used and has a new fpv board and two new motors in the front and as such the result of throttle with the two rear motors that are shot throws the quad backward.
I have ordered a set of mmw 6-15 14000kv
This should render it a good outside machine.
Last edit: 21 Mar 2015 23:22 by Skysurfer.

More
22 Mar 2015 01:20 #30026 by mwm
The NQx stability/agility mode change is edge-triggered. As such, I set up the EXT button as a momentary trim switch. Then set up channel 6 as a simple 1-1 map of the virtual channel the EXT button toggles.

More
22 Mar 2015 03:39 #30031 by Skysurfer
Is there any way to use the Flight mode switch?

More
22 Mar 2015 06:07 - 22 Mar 2015 06:08 #30032 by netnerd

Skysurfer wrote: Is there any way to use the Flight mode switch?

You can do it with the mixers, although it takes time to set up.
I've set it up for some friends with the following and it seems to work fine.

Virt1:
mixer1:
mux=add
src=!FMOD0
curve=1-to-1
scale=14

mixer2:
mux=max
curve=fixed
scale=-100

mixer3:
mux=min
curve=fixed
scale=100

Ch6:
mixer1:
mux=replace
src=Virt1
curve=3point (set to -100, 100, -100)
scale=100

mixer2:
mux=replace
src=Ch6
curve=min/max (set to -99)
scale=100

Now switching in and out of FMOD0 toggles it, but I believe the Devo 10 has a 3 position FMOD, so add in some more stuff if you want so that it only works after you've been in FMOD0 atleast once (to sync the switch for it you want to use FMOD switching for something else too).
Virt2:
mixer1:
switch=VIRT2
mux=replace
src=Virt2
curve=min/max (set to 1)

mixer2:
mux=add
src=FMOD0
curve=1-to-1
scale=14

Ch6:
mixer3:
mux=replace
switch=!Virt2
curve=fixed
scale=-100
Last edit: 22 Mar 2015 06:08 by netnerd.

More
22 Mar 2015 12:29 - 22 Mar 2015 12:32 #30037 by Skysurfer
Thanks so much for the values, I immediately set up a new instance of my model and applied the values to the mixer setup.
I start up the process and I have to re-bind with the QX everytime and When it binds I can't seem to get any throttle response. This last bit of info is of no consequence because of the new input, it happened to me before in model 1 and it finally got response(don't know how I did that)(I don't know how to get the throttle to respond??? :(
Last edit: 22 Mar 2015 12:32 by Skysurfer.

More
22 Mar 2015 13:47 #30043 by Skysurfer
Uh, how did you do that?

More
22 Mar 2015 13:49 #30044 by Skysurfer

mwm wrote: The NQx stability/agility mode change is edge-triggered. As such, I set up the EXT button as a momentary trim switch. Then set up channel 6 as a simple 1-1 map of the virtual channel the EXT button toggles.

Thank you for that, can you tell me how to set up the EXT button as a momentary trim switch?

More
22 Mar 2015 19:07 #30065 by mwm
Using the trim switch features of deviation are covered in the last section of my tutorial on writing a model config .

More
23 Mar 2015 21:13 #30135 by Tryptych
The Blade Nano QX is not a "nano sized quad" and really does not belong in this thread (it is micro sized, not nano).

To get back on topic: does anyone have any nano size quads they enjoy flying with Deviation? What is the best bang for your buck in the nano category?

More
14 May 2015 01:58 - 14 May 2015 01:59 #32538 by Tryptych
I'm back... at this point I've tested 4 nano sized quads with Deviation:

- Proto X
- Proto X SLT
- Cheerson CX-10 (red)
- WLToys v272

I hope this helps someone and saves them the money I blew :)

At this point in time, very reluctantly, I have to say that the WLToys v272 is my favorite nano sized quad for Deviation, despite it's low yaw rate. The main reason I would recommend the 272 is the price. The yaw rate is a bit slow but it's the only drawback, otherwise it flies really well and does nice flips, and flight times are close to 5 minutes. My old Proto X only gets about 3 minutes. The new Proto X SLT would be the king as far as I'm concerned, despite costing more then twice the 272, but there is an issue with Deviation and the SLT protocol right now that is preventing it from claiming the throne. The Cheerson CX-10 is great too, but building a red pcb deviation compatible one yourself is a huge pain since the parts are so tiny - it's harder then you'd think to cram it all together and it will cost you at least 2x what a v272 will cost you, so it's eliminated too.

At $15 (BNF) there really is no competition for the v272: It is the king of the Deviation-Compatible Nano Sized Quads.
Last edit: 14 May 2015 01:59 by Tryptych.

More
14 May 2015 02:20 #32540 by mwm
Flyin' Ryan disagrees . Not to say that you are wrong, as he seems to think that there's a lot of variations in the v272, and you may just need to get a good one.

If you're into rc aircraft and not subscribed to Flyin' Ryan, I really recommend doing so. He flies a LOT of things, even if you just look at nano quads .

More
14 May 2015 02:27 - 14 May 2015 02:27 #32541 by Tryptych

mwm wrote: Flyin' Ryan disagrees . Not to say that you are wrong, as he seems to think that there's a lot of variations in the v272, and you may just need to get a good one.

I love his videos too, but he's been wrong more then once. Maybe I got lucky... or maybe he got unlucky.... After 15 or so flights all I can tell ya is the v272 has a slow yaw rate, but it's awesome in every other department. It flies a full 1:45 longer then my Proto X, at half the price. As for durability I even crashed it into the kitchen sink and submerged it with engines running for 3+ seconds the other night. After all that and some pretty spectacular crashes it's still hovering rock solid with 0 trim and almost 5 min flight times.

At $15 there is no question that the 272 is the best bang for your buck in the Deviation-compatible nano category.
Last edit: 14 May 2015 02:27 by Tryptych.

More
14 May 2015 10:06 #32551 by TomPeer
Than i got unlucky too.
My v272 flies for 10 or 20 seconds and then suddenly goes quick in one direction. Absolutly unflyable.
I would not recommend this quad.
But it is good that you are happy with yours.

More
14 Feb 2016 16:05 - 14 Feb 2016 16:06 #43119 by Tryptych
I'm back... almost a year later from the original post.... My v272 is still flying perfectly for 4+ minutes, after 50-100 flights now. I hate the yaw rate, but because of the price and that it's Devo compatible it's still the best Nano that I know of. Also it's a bonus that it uses the same protocol as my JJRC1000, which is my favorite Micro sized quad.

I'm curious if there is anything new since last year - are any new Nano quads that are out (not Micro) for Deviation? Anyone else have a favorite Nano sized quad for Deviation that hasn't been mentioned?
Last edit: 14 Feb 2016 16:06 by Tryptych.

More
14 Feb 2016 17:21 #43122 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic What's your favorite nano size quad for Deviation?
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...d-quad-for-deviation

Go for DHD D1/FX-10 pico quads :-)

Or the mentioned Acro firmware quads H8 mini, H101.

More
15 Feb 2016 01:03 - 15 Feb 2016 01:58 #43133 by Tryptych
Ummm.. you just linked my thread about MICRO quads?

People seem very confused about Mini > Micro > Nano > Pico

It's confusing, but they are different... That D1 you posted looks interesting - but too small I think? That's a PICO right? Is it really Devo compatible? Which protocol? Am I the only one that likes NANO sized quads for indoor flying????

Until I hear different the v272 is (sadly) still the king of the Devo NANO sized quads... Please tell me there is something newer and better!

Here's a photo of the v272 NANO sized quad:
Last edit: 15 Feb 2016 01:58 by Tryptych.

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds