Issues Adding 2x 3-way switches to devo 7e

More
25 Jul 2014 13:48 - 25 Jul 2014 13:48 #24792 by jacklscott3
Issues Adding 2x 3-way switches to devo 7e was created by jacklscott3
Hey guys,
I have been working on adding 3-way switches to my devo 7e, but I haven't found much information on how to do that. I wired in my switches yesterday using a photo I found on HacksMods. However, when I turned the controller on to check my work, it was going effin BONKERS! It started making the sound it makes if you set up beeps on your throttle stick, progressively higher pitched beeps.. And the screen was not showing the normal display. It had the safety throttle location screen up, and the selection buttons were completely not working. I figured I had a short somewhere so I went back and tried wiring one of the switches again and just removed the other for the time being, but still when I turned on the transmitter I found the same haywire response. I then became a bit nervous, because I've modded the crap outta this little 7e ( installed cc2500 pa module to fly my skyartec heli's , nrf24l01 module to fly my WL toys birds, increased the range.. Basically all the mods I could find to do) and through all of that I've never NEVER seen it go crazy like that. So I removed the solder points and decided to wait until I have further information on installing the switches. When I removed the switches the tx went back to normal thankfully. But now I'm just a little nervous about trying it again. Any suggestions???
One thing I just realized Is the picture does not have a black wire on the left switch.. at the time I just assumed he was showing you how to hook up a 2 way switch and a 3way switch and that if you wanted a 3way on the left you just needed to mirror the position of your black wire on the right.. So that's a possible reason for my issue..

Also there were no clear markings on the switches themselves to indicate what port was negative, positive and such. I just looked at the factory devo switches and installed them with the similar markings going the same way. This is another possible reason for my problem

Finally, I didn't do the best job managing the wiring coming out from under the circuit board. The picture shows a cleanly taped wire that would come out somewhere in the center of the board, my wire basically came out right at the the solder points. Maybe it was pressing into something it shouldn't have??

Any help would be appreciated!!!!
On another note, once I do install these switches can anyone point me in the right direction to find out the programming side of this mod? How do I activate and implement the new switches??
Attachments:
Last edit: 25 Jul 2014 13:48 by jacklscott3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jul 2014 17:10 - 25 Jul 2014 17:10 #24795 by Arakon
Replied by Arakon on topic Issues Adding 2x 3-way switches to devo 7e
You just add an entry to the hardware.ini file. Switches have no "positive" and "negative", they just connect poles.. basically, using diodes, connect one side of the switch (doesn't matter which, white or red in your picture) to one of the points, the other to the other point, and the black wire to the center pole of the switch. The black wire has to be connected to both switches. It sounds to me like you may not have used the diodes or turned them the wrong way.. if possible, make a photo of how you wired it.
As for the wire routing, if they're long enough, you can carefully guide them around the transmitter module and out the top to the switches.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2014 17:10 by Arakon.

More
25 Jul 2014 17:13 - 25 Jul 2014 17:17 #24797 by aMax
There is only one black wire. Goes from LCD panel to the middle solderpoint
of one switch and then from there, to the midpoint of the second switch.

Edit: ..you beat me to it...

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 25 Jul 2014 17:17 by aMax.

More
27 Jul 2014 03:50 #24822 by Daryoon
Replied by Daryoon on topic Issues Adding 2x 3-way switches to devo 7e
You should include a picture of your radio too. So we can see how you wired it up.

Did you add diodes too?

Attachments:

More
27 Jul 2014 05:04 #24825 by jacklscott3
Replied by jacklscott3 on topic Issues Adding 2x 3-way switches to devo 7e
I did not add diodes.

So I started over, and wired into the board first. I'm following the layout I got from hackmods, but I'm worried because I see a recent switch installation walk through on here that is different. I just know the hackmods guide says it's for installations of  3 way switches, and the guide I found on here doesn't specify. So if I'm wired into the board correctly, how exactly do I hook into the switches and where will I place the diodes?

I'm just confused because I found this:
deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/1436-add-tw...tches-to-the-devo-7e
Which is totally different from the directions I was following. So if I'm adding 3-way switches will those directions^^^ also apply for me??
Attachments:

More
27 Jul 2014 05:11 #24826 by jacklscott3
so basically for my set up i would run:
-red wires to the top post with diodes before the post.
-white wires to the bottom post, with diodes before the post also
-then the one black wire from the board will run up to the middle post on the right switch with a patch to the middle post on the left switch. do those need diodes?

More
27 Jul 2014 06:47 #24836 by Arakon
The other guide is for two-way switches.
Your setup sounds correct to me. Middle pin needs no diodes. Make sure you get the direction of the diodes right, the black indicator should face to the switch pin, away from the wire.

More
28 Jul 2014 14:51 - 28 Jul 2014 15:05 #24863 by jacklscott3
I have these diodes laying around:

File Attachment:

I'm not very familiar with diodes, so I have no idea if these can be utilized.
But either way I have some 1N4001 diodes (50v 1A) coming in the mail, which were recommended by one of the guides.
Just out of curiosity why do you need diodes on the switches? What purpose do they serve?

Also I looked for the hardware.ini file the last time I had my transmitter plugged into my computer and I did not see it. Where is it located?
Last edit: 28 Jul 2014 15:05 by jacklscott3. Reason: Pic issues

More
28 Jul 2014 16:15 #24864 by D_an_W
Replied by D_an_W on topic Issues Adding 2x 3-way switches to devo 7e
Thats a resistor.

*** Walkera Devo 10 * 4-in-1 Module * Deviation v5 *** *** Walkera Devo 7E * A7105 Module * 2x 3 Way Switches * Power Mod * Deviation v5 ***

More
28 Jul 2014 16:59 #24866 by jacklscott3
... Opps

More
28 Jul 2014 17:13 #24867 by Arakon
If you are still on the old 4.0.1 and not one of the nightlies, you won't be able to use the switches and also won't have the hardware.ini. Update to the latest nightly.
The diodes are needed for the very reason you had issues before.. otherwise the buttons will trigger randomly cause the connection flows both ways.

More
03 Aug 2014 07:39 #24987 by jacklscott3
Ok I've got the switches hooked up and everything seems to be good. I updated my fw to the nightly builds, and I tried copying the code that was posted on the two position switch tutorial post into the hardware.ini file. But where do I go from here? I pull up a models mixer and select Channel 7 and channel 8 and then what do I select as the source?

More
03 Aug 2014 08:31 #24989 by D_an_W
Replied by D_an_W on topic Issues Adding 2x 3-way switches to devo 7e
Mine are listed from left to right as...

HOLD0/1 (Original Switch)

SW A0/1/2 (New 3 Way)

SW B0/1/2 (New 3 Way)

FMODE0/1 (Original Switch)

This is the Hardware.ini file (I have the power mod and A7105 module also)...
;Only useful for transmitters with an after-market vibration motor
;enable-haptic=1
;
;switch_types: 3x2, 3x1, 2x2
extra-switches=3x2
;
[modules]
; there is no need to enable the cyrf6936 module unless
; it is wired to an alternate port. It is Enabled automatically otherwise
; enable-cyrf6936 = B12
has_pa-cyrf6936 = 1
enable-a7105    = A13
has_pa-a7105    = 1
; enable-cc2500   = A14
; has_pa-cc2500   = 1
; enable-nrf24l01 = A14
; has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1
; enable-multimod = A13

*** Walkera Devo 10 * 4-in-1 Module * Deviation v5 *** *** Walkera Devo 7E * A7105 Module * 2x 3 Way Switches * Power Mod * Deviation v5 ***

More
06 Aug 2014 00:50 #25053 by jacklscott3
oh no!! when I turn on my TX i get the message "Bad/missing" protocol modules!"
I had a nrf24l01 installed and a cc2500 module installed before I upgraded my firmware to the nightly builds, so I thought maybe it had something to do with that. But even when I removed them I still get the message. I tried editing the hardware.ini file and the tx.ini file ever different way I could think of, but I could not get that message to go away. I even tried removing the nightly builds fw and re-installing the old version i was running, but I still got "Bad/missing" protocol modules!"
could it be the wiring for the 3way switches? If its not that, Im out of ideas

More
06 Aug 2014 21:16 #25065 by Arakon
Sounds to me like you didn't copy the current files to the transmitter after updating the firmware. You always have to update both together.
It's not the wiring.

More
23 Jul 2015 21:53 #35874 by T.N.
I followed this post's #24822 photos but the switches' 3rd position are swapped like this:
Left switch: SWA0, SWA1 then SWB2
Right switch: SWB0, SWB1 then SWA2
I checked the wriring are exactly as in the photos.

Comments are appreciated.

Time to create page: 0.111 seconds