How to set up a complex mixer or complex template

More
02 Apr 2014 08:06 #22044 by mattygerman
I am totally new to Deviation and failed miserably trying to set up a complex mixer. Fortunately, PhracturedBlue helped me to figure it out.
To make it easier for other "newbies" to solve the "complex" task of setting up a complex mixer I decided to create this little tutorial.
I hope it is of some use.

Being German I can also deliver the tutorial in German, if desired.

Have fun!
Comments are welcome.

Best regards,

Matthias

File Attachment:

File Name: ComplexMix...rial.pdf
File Size:76 KB
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2014 09:32 #22047 by suzali
Thanks !!!

More
04 Apr 2014 00:00 #22096 by esklarski
nice write up!

Wish I had that a few months ago when I started into the complex mixer.

More
04 Apr 2014 08:22 #22112 by mattygerman
Replied by mattygerman on topic How to set up a complex mixer or complex template
Thank you both for your compliments!
Perhaps something like that should be integrated into the user manual to render it even more helpful.

More
25 May 2014 03:36 #23591 by seaholic
Great job, I actually understood it. You were really good at explaining the topic. You should rewrite the Walkera manual. Start from the very basics 101 and progress to higher difficulties in different stages. Building a basic model starting from the beginning of basic flight modes to complex modes.

More
25 May 2014 09:03 #23600 by mattygerman
Replied by mattygerman on topic How to set up a complex mixer or complex template
Many thanks, seaholic!
You should submit your suggestion to Walkera. Perhaps they will understand B)

Two more hints:
Using "none" for "Switch" in any given mixer means this mixer is ALWAYS "on". Therefore, it is "safest" to use "none" for mixer 1. Imagine, you wanted to use a three-way switch for any reason but use only ONE decided position of this switch to actually change the corresponding value. If you use "none" for mixer 1, this value will be selected UNLESS the switch position is really set to the position you define in mixer 2, or, in other words, the value of mixer 1 will be selected for the residual two switch positions NOT defined in mixer 2, irrespective of their exact selection. Safe, isn´t it? :)

Mixer ordering is crucial in that any other mixer´s curve is calculated based on the values of mixer 1, or, more generally, the preceding curve. So, mixer ordering is especially important if you ADD ("Mux" set to "add") values to the preceding curves.

More
25 May 2014 10:33 - 25 May 2014 10:36 #23603 by mattygerman
I use to fly my large helis in governor mode and soft start them via the ESC. However, this includes a potential hazard: while you need to move two "switches" (disarm "throttle hold" and move the throttle stick from its "safe" minimum position) without using the ESC´s soft start mode, it is sufficient for conventional Tx firmwares to toggle ONLY the "throttle hold" switch to start the motor when soft start is enabled.
Therefore, I was looking for a solution.

Here´s how you do it with Deviation - I use "Gear1" as "throttle hold" (safety switch for throttle) and "Aile D/R" as additional "safety switch":
Edit the mixer for the throttle channel.
Choose the "Complex" template.
Set "GEAR0" as "Switch"
Use "replace" for "Mux"
Set "AIL DR0" as "Source"
Use a "3 point" curve

Now, provided we set "-110%" as "throttle hold", or, security, value, we have to use an offset of -10% for the 3-point curve because the curve itself "delivers" only -100%
We then set the "3 point" curve to the following values:
Point 1: -100%
Point 2: 0%
Point 3: E. G. 53%

This last point, 3, needs some more explanation: Due to the offset this results in an actual output of 43%, corresponding to 71,5% "actual" throttle - governor - VALUE (according to the formula: Deviation output = conventional output times 2 - 100).
Therefore, point 3 is totally individual, according to your liking.

What are the results of this setting?
- Throttle value is ALWAYS constant (no need to set up any throttle curve), regardless of any switch, or "flight mode". This, of course, assumes you do not want or need different flight modes.
I do not need them. I have one "stunt" pitch curve ranging from -11 to + 11 degrees pitch angle. This one pitch curve is constantly connected to channel 6 (FBL heli) using the "Simple" template. This again is the safest solution because you can never forget to toggle flight mode. With Deviation this pitch curve is even suitable for auto rotation, because "throttle hold" is set as safety switch for the throttle channel ONLY and therefore does not affect anything else.
- Since "GEAR1" is set as safety switch for throttle, the motor will not start spinning unless this switch is toggled, regardless of any other settings
- However, even if you - accidentally - disarm "throttle hold", the "Aile D/R" switch, when set to "AILE DR1" will still result in a throttle output of -110%.
- As a result, you have to toggle BOTH switches, "Aile D/R" to position "0" AND "throttle hold" to position "0" in order to start the motor.

Additionally, you may edit the "[safety]" section in the "model.ini" file so that your Tx won´t start unless both switches are toggled to their respective safety positions.
Simply add this under "[safety]":
- AIL DR0=min
- GEAR0=min

If you use these settings, you may erase the standard "[safety]" entry: "Auto=min"

Have fun!
Last edit: 25 May 2014 10:36 by mattygerman.

More
26 May 2014 19:20 #23639 by seaholic
I downloaded their Devo 10 manual about a year ago and started to read it and I did not have a clue on what they were talking about. So it definitely was not written for a beginner. I am still quite shady on the understanding of curves and complex curves and what and why they are used. I understand throttle curves that you want a smooth travel from idle to full with no dead spots or play in the sticks.

More
27 May 2014 07:53 - 27 May 2014 08:26 #23669 by mattygerman
Perhaps this explanation helps:
A curve simply is the LINK between your INPUT source (which may be any stick, potentiometer, or switch) and the OUTPUT channel, e. g. throttle channel.
However, "curve" is just a general term used to describe ANY link between input and output. A "curve" thus may be sinuous, straight, or even a fixed value (curve type "Fixed").

You can easily see how curves work when you edit a "fresh" model file - simply load a file named "NONE".
Then just edit the "Simple" Template of the e. g. "ELE" channel. You will always find a preset "1 to 1" curve. Move the ELE stick and see how the curve monitor follows its movements. Then change curve to, say, a 3-point curve and set up a "weird" curve, say, -100%, 0%, and -20%. Move the ELE stick again and see how the OUTPUT value sent to the receiver and, finally, the servo (or any other element connected to the receiver) changes according to the curve you defined.
So, any value set to any point of any curve simply alters the output value according to the position of that curve as defined by either stick, potentiometer, or switch position.
Two-way switches simply flip between the minimum and maximum value of any curve as well as three-way switches, however, with one difference:
The third position of a three-way switch will not affect curve output at all. It will only flip between a decided position, e. g. "MIX0", and "not MIX0" which would be "MIX1" in this example. "MIX2" would yield the same value as "MIX1".
With this knowledge you might use a three-way switch to switch values when toggled in BOTH directions from its center position.

However, if you want to add a FIXED value to any switch position, use the „Fixed“ curve and set its value via „Scale“.

Please don´t misunderstand my three-way switch example: you may of course assign one different mixer to each different position of a three-way switch and thus toggle between three different channel outputs. A very common example for this is the "FMOD" switch used to toggle between "hover", "normal", and "stunt" modes for helis.

I recommend that you do the following:
In the "Simple" Mixer set any switch, or potentiometer, or stick, as SOURCE and apply different CURVES. Then just "play" around with them and see how they effect output.
Additionally, you may set your "play" channel as the channel being monitored in e. g. "Box1" of "Main page config" AND attach a servo to this channel, then switch to the main page and see how it all works. Box1 will always give you the actual output value in per cent which directly corresponds to servo throw.

Now, what´s the difference between "Simple" and "Complex" template?
Basically only two - basically.
You can set switches to activate and deactivate any given mixer and you can, of course, define as many mixers as you like for any OUTPUT channel (e. g. throttle channel) you like.
A "mixer" simply links a CURVE to any SOURCE (Source is explained below) and THUS alters the output of a given channel.

Here´s the very basic scheme:

CHANNEL is the channel controlling a given servo or any other element (e. g. a certain function of an FBL unit).
Therefore, always edit the TEMPLATE assigned to any channel in order to control the channel´s behavior.

TEMPLATE may be one of the following: None (channel is NOT active), Simple, Expo&D/R, and Complex
Any template may have ONE (Simple and Expo&D/R) or more (Complex) MIXERS.

MIXERS link CURVES to input SOURCES and may be activated or deactivated via SWITCHES.

SOURCE is the INPUT source (stick, switch, or potentiometer) used to control the OUTPUT, i. e., CHANNEL.

SWITCH is a switch used to activate or deactivate a certain MIXER. Choosing "None" as switch will set this mixer to ALWAYS ON.

CURVE alters the output value according to the position of either stick, potentiometer. or switch setting.

MUX is very important.

If you set MUX to "replace" and have two different mixers, each one controlled by a decided position of, say, the "Gear" switch, then mixer 1 will be completely REPLACED by mixer 2 according to the position of the "Gear" switch.
However, if you set MUX to "add" in mixer 2, then mixer 2 will ADD its values to the values defined by CURVE of mixer 1.
This way you may easily set up a delta mixer: Mixer 1 controls the ELE output. Therefore SOURCE is "ELE". Set curve to „1 to 1“
Mixer 2 controls the "AIL" output, SOURCE of mixer 2 is "AIL“, curve again „1 to 1“. Now, when mixer 2 ADDS its values to mixer 1, you will have the e. g. right "aileron/elevator" move UP when you "pull" your ELE stick even though you gave a "full left" stick input to your AIL stick.
You will have to set up these two mixers for both of the CHANNELS each of which control 1 servo connected to one control surface at each side of your wings.
But BECAUSE mixer 2 ADDS its values to mixer 1 you will have your servo overloaded when you move your AIL stick fully left or right AND your ELE stick fully down or up, provided curve 1 of mixer 1 AND curve 2 of mixer 2 both yield +/- 100% as maximum values, respectively. Full left AND full UP as well as full right and full down will then result in 200% servo throw.
This may be easily seen and controlled by setting „Box1“ to display „ELE“ and „Box2“ to „AIL“.
Solution: set up 3 or more point curves and make them accordingly „flat“ (minimum/maximum value only +/- 50%) or limit servo throw in the separate channel menu of the „ELE“ and „AIL“ channel, provided servo one is connected to the "ELE" and servo two to the "AIL" channel (press „Enter“ when e.g. „1-ELE“ is selected to activate the channel menu of „ELE“).

My basic recommendation is:
Just load any unused model file and play around with it. :lol:
Last edit: 27 May 2014 08:26 by mattygerman.

More
28 May 2014 11:08 #23727 by seaholic
Professor
That’s an excellent explanation! I breathily read through it but I had to many distractions
around me to absorb it all. I will need to sit down and read it slowly a few more times.
When I think about switches, I have open and closed contacts in my head. Now if I understand the curves are like a rheostat or a dimmable switch that you can adjust or just set to a regular on and off switch? I better read this some more before I comment.
Thank you so much for this info, I can tell you put a lot of time and effort into it.
Robert

More
29 May 2014 17:35 - 29 May 2014 17:37 #23749 by mattygerman
Hi Robert,
With your idea of a curve being like a dimmable switch you almost hit the nail on the head.
Almost, as far as you assign fixed "curves" (i. e., fixed, but adjustable, values) to a certain SWITCH on your Tx.
Now expand your idea to that a curve is like a mathematical function describing the relationship between the dimmer´s input (i. e., how far you "open" the dimmer) and its output.
You can adjust this output via a curve: imagine that you adjust the dimmer to "full on". Then the curve controls how bright a lamp attached to that dimmer will actually shine: with the curve´s last point set to 100% the lamp will shine with its maximum brightness whereas, when set to only 50%, the lamp will shine half as brightly ALTHOUGH the dimmer is still set to "full on".
All right?

Now, with this in mind, just imagine that ANY control, or input, mechanism on your Tx, be it a stick, a switch, or a potentiometer, controls OUTPUT (the lamp in my previous example) ACCORDING to the values set and defined by a curve.

Therefore, stick input controls output according to the curve´s value assigned to this stick as input SOURCE.
Accordingly, potentiometer output is defined by a curve, as well as output of a certain switch position when this switch position is defined as (input) SOURCE.

However, or as a result, switches on your Tx may have two functions:
a) directly control output, e. g. gyro gain, when you define them as SOURCE and link a fixed value (curve type "Fixed") to them
b) TOGGLE between different MIXERS. Each mixer has its own curve. In this case you need to define the switch as SWITCH, NOT as SOURCE and define any other SOURCE (e. g. any other switch, stick, or potentiometer).

This is all very straight forward. The only "weird" situation occurs when you actually use a switch to toggle two, or more, different values sent to the receiver. In this case you must use the same switch position as SOURCE AND as SWITCH which, again, is "straight forward", or logically consistent, anyway :dry:

As I said in my previous posting: "learning by doing", i. e., trying, will bring the best results for you.

Have fun!

Best regards,

Matthias
Last edit: 29 May 2014 17:37 by mattygerman.

More
06 Jun 2014 02:56 #23930 by seaholic
Professor Matthias
Devo TX 101
Kidding aside,
I want to take this opportunity to thank you for all the time you have spent explaining basic DevoTX set up.

Devo TX 101
Great explanation, I think it’s starting to get through my head. The MUX and delta mixer is still a little confusing. Like you said, I need to experiment and play around with the TX,RX and servo. But I need to get a spare RX to do that. So for now I will just experiment with the TX.
Lets see if I am close with my understanding
1st Quiz
OK, assuming you could set a 2way switch or the Aux4 dial to bypass your main throttle stick. To run a axillary throttle at 50% so that your multicopter can hover.
That way you could change the rudder ,ele and ail positions without effecting the throttle. If I understand this correctly these are the steps I would take.
You would use a MUX setting to replace the throttle stick?
I would go to channel 6 set it to complex then go to mixer and change to mux, then replace , Src to throttle , then set curve to expo, than set the values to 0% to 50%

More
06 Jun 2014 06:58 - 06 Jun 2014 08:43 #23934 by mattygerman
Hi Robert,
It is always my pleasure to explain these settings...

To answer your 1st quiz:
You do not need to bypass anything just in order to move the AILE, ELE, and RUD stick without effecting throttle.
Just set source of the AILE channel to AIL, source of ELE channel to ELE, and so on. These channels, including throttle channel, require only the "Simple" template if you do not want to override their functions.

Okay, you want to use one of your potentiometers (AUX4) as an auxiliary throttle stick.

Then your setup would be the following:
- Go to the throttle CHANNEL (I assume this is channel 3, as you are probably flying a Walkera multicopter). I assume that channel 6 is WRONG as it PROBABLY acts like the PITCH channel on a FBL helicopter, i. e., channel 6 "normally" is a channel with "heavy" mixing functions (on a FBL helicopter, channel 6 moves all three swash plate servos synchronously and unidirectionally in order to achieve what is called "collective pitch"). However, if channel 6 actually controls multicopter throttle, you need to edit this channel, of course.
- Edit the mixer template and set it to "Complex"
- Choose any switch to ACTIVATE the auxiliary throttle stick. Say you´d use "Rudder D/R" on position 1. So set SWITCH to "RUD D/R1"
- Set SOURCE to "Aux4". Remember, SOURCE is ALWAYS either the STICK, SWITCH, or POTENTIOMETER you use to CONTROL the channel (output).
- Leave "MUX" at "Replace" which is the standard setting anyway

NOW THIS IS MOST IMPORTANT!!!!!!

With this type of setting you will ALWAYS, CONTINUOUSLY, bypass your throttle stick so that it remains without ANY function.

Therefore, you need to choose one of the following options in order to switch back to your throttle stick in case you would want to:

1. option:
- Use the e. g. "Rudder D/R" switch to TOGGLE between throttle stick and AUX4.

Then your setting would be as follows:
- You need TWO mixers
First mixer:
- Set SWITCH to NONE. This is always the most secure option as this means this mixer is ALWAYS on UNLESS you toggle any switch to its decided position.
- Set SOURCE to "THR". This way the trottle stick will ALWAYS control throttle UNLESS you toggle the e. g. "Rudder D/R" switch to position 1 according to my previous example.
- Set MUX to "Replace"

Mixer ORDERING is MOST IMPORTANT: The mixer with the LOWER order number will always „rule“.
Therefore, if you want your throttle stick to be the standard input control for throttle, mixer 1 MUST have „THR“ as SOURCE.

Second mixer:
- See previous example for the "AUX4" mixer.
- MUX is set to REPLACE.

With this type of setting you will be able to use EITHER throttle stick OR AUX4 potentiometer to control throttle.

2. option:
You will of course need two mixers again.

First mixer:
- Set SWITCH to NONE.
- Set SOURCE to "THR". This way the trottle stick will ALWAYS control throttle UNLESS you toggle the e. g. "Rudder D/R" switch to position 1 according to my previous example.
- Set MUX to "Replace"

Second mixer:
- Set SWITCH to "RUD D/R1"
- Set SOURCE to "AUX4"
- Set MUX to "ADD".

This will show you the "magic" of those mixers.
ADD will ALWAYS add the values you define in the curve of - in this case - mixer 2 to the values predefined by the curve of the PREVIOUS mixer, in this case mixer 1.
You might use this setting to fine tune your throttle output.

Let´s say you use a "normal" "1 to 1" curve for your throttle stick. However, you are not satisfied with throttle output sensitivity; you think it´s a little too "rough".
So, then you just set the CURVE of mixer 2 to a "3 point" curve ranging from e. g. -5 to +5.

You set your throttle stick to mid stick which is equivalent to 50% throttle output.
You activate mixer 2 by toggling „Rudder D/R“.
Now you have the FULL RANGE of your AUX4 potentiometer to fine tune 50% throttle (or ANY other throttle value defined by your THROTTLE stick) by a maximum of +/- 5% throttle, meaning you can tune your throttle output in very small „steps“ actually.

Okay, here´s another "useful" example to bypass the throttle stick:
Set up two mixers as explained in OPTION 1, MUX set to "Replace" for BOTH mixers.
You start your multicopter via throttle stick.
Now you toggle "RUD D/R" to position 1 and control hovering via AUX4.
Remember that toggling RUD D/R DEACTIVATED the throttle stick.
Therefore I would assign a SAFETY VALUE, e. g. 50% throttle (meaning a fixed value of ZERO which is equivalent to 50% output) to „Rudder D/R“ on position 1. Please experiment yourself how to do this ;-). Remember, you may set up as many mixers as you like for one specific channel and set MUX to either „Replace“ or „Add“. (Or any other option. However, you will only need „Replace“ and „Add“ for such a safety function)

With such a setup you MIGHT use your throttle stick to control your CAMERA. Control your CAMERA via throttle stick. Wouldn´t that be great?
Just go to the camera channel and set it up as follows:
- SWITCH to „RUD D/R1“. Here you see that the same switch may easily control more than one channel.
- SOURCE to „THR“.
- MUX to „Replace“
- Define any CURVE to control camera output according to your liking

Additionally you might display the position of „RUD D/R“ with e. g. one of the „black“ icons (Go to „Main page config“, select the „Toggle“ box you assigned „RUD D/R“ to, press "Enter", and see what I mean) so that you will not accidentally start with the wrong switch position.
ADDITIONALLY ;-) you may set the safety options so that your Tx won´t start unless „Rudder D/R“ is in a safe position.
This is done by editing your „model.ini“ file:
- Connect your Tx to your computer
- Identify your appropriate model.ini file and open it. On a Mac, the simplest text editor, „TextEdit“, will do. On a Windows machine I´m not sure if „Wordpad“ will do as well.
- Anyway, after editing, search for „[safety]“.
- Below this term you will find „AUTO=min“. This is the standard setting which prevents the Tx from starting when throttle is not set to its minimum value. You may delete it, if you like
- Just add the following in a NEW LINE below or above "Auto=min": „RUD DR1“=min“ (of course without quotation marks)
- Save your file

I have a similar setup to control the flaps of my motor glider via throttle stick during the landing phase.
Gliders don´t need a motor to land ;)
Therefore, my GEAR switch does the following:
- It gets out the glider´s gear
- It DEACTIVATES the motor, no throttle stick inputs go to the motor
- It bypasses throttle stick inputs to the FLAPS channel.

Very sensitive flaps control via throttle stick...

However, in order to enable me to get the plane started again if necessary the GEAR switch, when toggled, also does the following:
- Retracts gear
- Immediately retracts flaps completely
- Immediately starts the motor according to throttle stick position

You see that the possibilities of Deviation´s mixer setups are endless...
Last edit: 06 Jun 2014 08:43 by mattygerman.

More
06 Jun 2014 07:59 - 06 Jun 2014 08:01 #23935 by mattygerman
Hi Robert,

Re. delta mixer:
This is "most easy":
- Mixer 1 controls e. g. the ELE stick input on a given output channel
- Mixer 2 controls e. g. AILE stick input on the same output channel.
- Mixer 2 ADDS (MUX = "Add") its values to mixer 1. Just be careful not to overload the servo because 2 times 100% results in 200%. (Mixer 1 results in 100% servo output with a "1 to 1" curve and mixer 2 as well when the same curve - i. e., curve type - is assigned to it).

So make sure to adjust your curves accordingly.

However, if we are talking about multicopters I do not think you need any "delta mixer" at all as ALL MIXING should be done by the craft´s electronic.
I am not familiar with multicopters but I fly several flybarless helis.

Their flybarless systems in principle should be very similar to multi rotor systems.

On my Walkera FBL heli channel assignment is as follows:
Channel 1: ELE
Channel 2: AIL
Channel 3: THR
Channel 4: RUD
Channel 5: NOT USED
Channel 6: Collective Pitch
Channel 7: Tail gyro sensitivity

NO NEED for complex mixers, or templates, at all. Only simple templates...
Last edit: 06 Jun 2014 08:01 by mattygerman.

More
06 Jun 2014 08:40 - 06 Jun 2014 08:40 #23936 by mattygerman
By the way: You may easily "play around" with your multicopter as well.
With Deviation it is possible to assign a "safety switch" to EVERY channel you like.

Just enter the throttle channel - the channel spin box itself, not the corresponding mixer - and assign e. g. -105% to the GEAR switch (or any other switch you like).
This will completely disable throttle when pulled, REGARDLESS of any throttle stick position.
This way you may try my "throttle stick controls camera" in a completely safe manner, if you like.
You may even use two safety switches, as explained in one of my previous posts.

if you assign e. g. -90% to the safety switch, all propellers will spin only slowly and you may try any other settings and channel assignments in a "rather" safe manner as well: if you give an ELE input, only the two front - or rear - propellers should spin faster, and so on.
Last edit: 06 Jun 2014 08:40 by mattygerman.

More
06 Jun 2014 21:52 #23944 by seaholic
Hay! Matthias,
Wow! that`s a lot of good info, double thanks.
I will be busy this week end experimenting.
Right now I have 2 scratch builds, a T-copter and 2- Vtail copters that I am playing around with. I just cannibalized my first Vtail that I swapped a KK2 with a APM 2.6 board. I was having problems with APM and went back to the KK2 board and a different designed Vtail. Should have stayed with the first design.
You are correct on the Vtail and quads there are no servos, pitch roll and yaw are controlled by the prop speeds and control board settings. The Tcopter has a servo to control the tail motor that’s set up on a pivoting platform to act as the rudder. (very responsive and maneuverable and lots of fun to fly.)
Channel 5 is the gear switch, which activates the auto level on the control board. Then the Fmode switch controls the 3 flight modes easy, moderate and advanced.

I had always copied models off the Deviation site. The last model I used was from Tom Z who had posted several of his models on the website and his Quad model worked with both of my copters which was really helpful. Though I still had no clue on how to set up a basic model or even how to assign a switch to turn on led lights.
I have spent countless hours on different forums trying to piece together info on setting up the Walkera TX with out any luck. I was beginning to think I had the wrong TX, due to Walkera TX’s does not seem very popular on the other major RC sites. I was starting to think about looking for another Tx brand.
Thankfully I stumbled across your post and your explanations my view on the Devo Tx has changed 180.

More
07 Jun 2014 14:27 - 07 Jun 2014 14:28 #23951 by mattygerman
Great that you changed your mind about the Walkera Txs, Robert.

And thank you for opening up the world of multicopters to me a bit.
These actually are the only model aircrafts I have not flown yet but I think I will one day B)

Based on Deviation I think Walkera Txs are presently the best Txs in the world :ohmy:
I have three of them and I love them all.
My "flagship" is the latest Devo 10 white. Highly reliable and trustable due to its extra long (2 km) range.

I have a 14 channel Futaba Tx and even though their firmware is very highly customizable as well it´s not half as good as Deviation in my opinion.
The "problem" of all the other firmwares is that they are all FUNCTION based: you want a function, e. g. "delta mixer" and their manual tells you what to do.
However, this highly limits flexibility because you always have to follow THEIR rules, i. e., you have to plug in any "extra servo" - for a delta mixer, for example - exactly into the receiver channel they tell you.

This is totally different with Deviation: you want to control aileron throw via the gear channel and gear via aileron channel?
Just go for it!
All you need to do is assign the appropriate input SOURCE to the desired channel.

Deviation simply is CHANNEL based and that´s its main advantage in my view.
Don´t care about any function anymore.

Just think about the CHANNEL - or channels - you want to use to enable any function.
Then edit all the mixers and assign exactly the switches the way you like and want them.

As soon as you start thinking channel based, Deviation becomes incredibly easy. Much easier and much more logical than all the other Tx firmware concepts.

One of Deviation´s other major advantages is that you are not limited to Walkera receivers anymore.
I fly almost my complete "fleet" with Spektrum receivers (DSM2, one of Deviation´s other, but "native", protocols).
And here´s the best news: Go to Hobbyking and take a look at their "Orange" receivers. They cost a fraction of Walkera Rxs and are completely compatible with DSM2 and DSMX.
I use several of them and am totally satisfied.

Just in case you want to buy an extra receiver... :lol:
Last edit: 07 Jun 2014 14:28 by mattygerman.

More
07 Jun 2014 18:17 #23952 by seaholic
Yes I think you would get a kick out of a Tcopter.
Wouldn’t take much to but one together .You probably
Have most of the parts now, you would just have to buy 3 motors, props and 3 ESEs
65.00. I`m sure you have an extra servo lying around and Rx and maybe KK2 board.
Also some pvc pipe and a view fittings and your ready to go.
Back to the Tx and Rxs , yes I have seen the orange Rx`s the orange Tx in the past I was thinking about replacing my Devo with one. You have me sold on keeping what I have now.
I sure though having a good foundation on the function type Tx`s helps with transition to the channel based Walkeras.
I was wondering about those orange RXs if they would work with the Devos? Do you have to modify the Tx at all? I have seen other people adding modules so they can fly some of the cheaper out of the box quads and helicopters from WLtoy.
I soon need to place a order with Hk, I`ll add an Rx to it.

More
08 Jun 2014 03:11 #23957 by seaholic
I must be doing something wrong. I could not seem to get any of the options to work.
Here are my steps.
Model menu
2. Mixer: 3- THR: Complex: Mixers 1: Page 1: Switch-RudD/R1: Mux replace: Src. Aux4: Curve 1-1 Scale -50
Model menu
2.Mixer: 3-THR: Complex: Mixers-1: page -1: Switch -none: Source – Throttle: Mux- replace: Curve 1-1 Scale -100
Mixers -2 page 1 (should this be page 2?) Switch- RudD/R1: Source- Aux4: Mux – replace: Curve 1-1 Scale -50
:unsure:

On the Quads, channel 3 is for the throttle and they see to set up the values from +100 min to -100 for max.
Channel 5 is blank and is used for switching to auto level.

More
08 Jun 2014 10:58 #23964 by mattygerman
Hi Robert,
Quite honestly, I do not understand what you mean with your designations :unsure:
Can you publish the "model.ini" file here so I can see what you did?

I would COPY one working file and subsequently experiment with the copy only.

However, what I did see is you had two times a "page 1".

Here´s what you have to do:

Go to the mixers template OF channel 3:

- Set template to "Complex“; this is what you already did.
- On PAGE 1:
- SWITCH: none
- SOURCE: THR
- MUX: Replace
- CURVE: 1-1
- SCALE: 100%

THEN go back to "Mixers" - i. e., select the "Mixers" spin box and increase their number by 1: now it says: "Mixers: 2"
THEN navigate to "Page" and increase its number by 1, too.
Now it reads: "Mixers: 2", "Page: 2"
On PAGE 2:
- SWITCH: RUD D/R1
- SOURCE: AUX4
- MUX: Replace
- SCALE: 50% (I don´t understand why you decrease scale here as this will give you control over only -50% up to +50% rather than the full throttle scale.)
What you MIGHT do instead, if we are talking about safety: add an OFFSET of, say, 80% so that the lowest throttle value for AUX 4 will always be -20%.

Did you CALIBRATE your potentiometers? Otherwise they won´t work at all!

Okay, anyway, the CORRECT settings in the model.ini file do look like this:

[channel3]
template=complex
[mixer]
src=THR
dest=Ch3
[mixer]
src=AUX4
dest=Ch3
switch=RUD DR1
scalar=50
usetrim=0

Do you see the syntax?
ONLY "unusual" situations are outlined.
I. e., a scale of 100% is NOT specified.
Switch „none“ is not specified.
Just like "usetrim=0" is ONLY specified when you DEACTIVATE trim for that specific mixer on page 2.
Also, a specific curve is NOT outlined, as "1 to 1" is the STANDARD curve.

What you may do now:
„Reverse engineer“ this and paste it into your experimental model file.
THEN see how the mixers are built up.

Re. Orange receivers and DSM:
Walkera and DSM are the ONLY two protocols Deviation can handle WITHOUT any additional hardware.

A short note on DSM receivers:
Their fail safe procedure is different than Walkera´s:
DSM receivers save the values transmitted to them DURING BINDING as fail safe values.
Therefore, you have to be very careful to adjust every stick and switch to the exact value you want it to have in case of transmission failure.
So, adjust everything the way you want it to be and THEN bind the receiver.

Binding with Deviation is super easy:
Go to the „Model Setup“ menu item.
Navigate to the „Devo“ spin box. Alter its setting to „DSM2“.
ENTER a specific ID in the box next to „Fixed ID“.
You can of course bind ALL your receivers with the same ID but this is EXTREMELY risky because, if you accidentally choose the wrong model settings for a specific model, the receiver will start up anyway and the model may act „weird“ which would be the best of all incidents. :sick:

So, you should assign specific, unique, IDs to all your receivers.

Okay, after all these settings are done, power up the DSM receiver WHEN the bind plug is plugged in.
The receiver´s LED will start flashing quickly.
Press „Bind“ on your Deviation Tx.
The receiver will flash slowly and, after a little while, the LED will glow steadily.

If it does not, the receiver doesn´t „like“ the ID you chose.
Try another ID and try binding again.

Unplug the bind plug and you´re ready!

Time to create page: 0.073 seconds