Independent trims for flight modes

More
08 Jan 2013 07:40 #4834 by vlad_vy
Independent trims for flight modes was created by vlad_vy
How I can get independent trim values for each flight mode?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Jan 2013 08:38 - 08 Jan 2013 08:43 #4835 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic Independent trims for flight modes
Hi vlad_vy,
:huh: Strange??
Why did you need this feature ?
Subtrim/trim is something which depend of the model, not of the flight mode ? I think it's not possible and (I hope) will never?
Trim is made to have stable fly when sticks are in neutral position... The neutral position of the sticks do not depend of the flight mode??

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 08 Jan 2013 08:43 by domcars0.

More
08 Jan 2013 08:42 #4836 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Independent trims for flight modes
You can probably obtain some results using complex mixers.

What are you trying to do? Emulate DX8 glider flight modes?

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

More
08 Jan 2013 08:45 - 09 Jan 2013 20:35 #4837 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic Independent trims for flight modes
Hi sbstnp,
What are the "glider flight modes"??

[EDIT]: :oops: sorry , as I did'nt fly with any plane nor glider I did not think
that it can be usefull to have trim depending of flight mode ... Now (thank to the web) I undertstand.

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 09 Jan 2013 20:35 by domcars0.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
08 Jan 2013 08:51 #4838 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Independent trims for flight modes
I did a quick test. The normal trims influence the result of complex mixers, whatever number of pages are used. So I think the only way to achieve your goal would be to use virtual channels with different trims and glue them together in a complex mixer like:
vch1: throttle and fmode0 with trim A
vch2: throttle and fmode1 with trim B
channelX = complex ( vch1 and fmode0 | vch2 and fmode 1...)

More
09 Jan 2013 08:53 #4851 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Independent trims for flight modes
Lost messages:

vlad_vy wrote: If you don't change plane geometry in time of fligh, it's right.

I'm trying to create a configuration for a full house glider with V-tail (6 channels), with 3 flight modes (Speed, Thermal and Launch), crow/butterfly braking and camber adjust. So I need independent elevator trimmer for each flight mode.

Even in original Devo 8 there are 'Flight Mode Trim Select' = 'Common' and 'Flight Mode'. In 'Flight Mode' each sticks trimmer is dependent from flight mode.

FDR wrote: You are right, this is the only feature of the original fw, which deviation don't have, basically because we don't have hard coded built-in flight modes...

I think you cannot even trick it, because each trim button only counts in one variable. The only way is to use different trim buttons of virtual channels for the different flight modes, and then add them in a complex mixer to the elevator channel...

vlad_vy wrote: It's surprise. I can without problems create complex configuration for full house glider, but i cann't create convenient independent trim for flight modes.

Maybe we need 'Flight Mode' setup, with at least 6 flight modes, flight mode names, switch selection, trim mode and so on.
Also will be nice to have ability to name virtual channels with complex mixers (V-Tail, etc.). And will be useful to create templates with the most commonly used mixers.

FDR wrote: IMO introducing built-in flight modes won't help much, but would make things even more complicated.

Now you can select on the complex mixer pages if you want to add trim to the current page based on the source, or not. If there would be more trim values for every source depending on some switches, you would have to select which one to use.

I don't know any relatively simple solution for this at the moment.
Give us some time to think about it...

rbe2012 wrote: I would at least support the proposal for renaming virtual channels.

More
09 Jan 2013 12:01 #4855 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Independent trims for flight modes
I don't think we are that far off in the existing "advanced" mixer.

Right now, on the trims page, we can select the Output channel (named input for some strange reason) ;) We can also select which trim buttons to use. And we have "extra" trims so we can assign trims to the extra trim buttons.

Now, on each page of a complex mixer there is a Trim, No Trim setting. How hard would it be to make that choice? I.E. No Trim, and Trim#. ?

Just a thought. Seems like some of the code might already be there.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
09 Jan 2013 14:13 - 09 Jan 2013 14:37 #4858 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Independent trims for flight modes
We may think of 'Virtual Flight Mode' or 'Flight State'. 'Flight States' don't influence by any way to the Mixers. 'Flight State' is simply a data structure that may contain:

1. Name of 'Flight State'.
2. Switch that activate 'Flight State'.
3. Trims (at least Throttle, Elevator, Rudder, Aileron), i.e. pointers to memory locations of trims (choice from: current 'Flight State' trim or any other 'Flight State' trim).
4. Anything else specific for 'Flight State' (data, actions, ...) ???

Mixer will use these pointers as real (current) trims. 'Flight State 0' may be default and not contain configuration for switch and trims (for any switch and default trims), only name. If we don't need independent trims and other settings, we may leave 'Flight State 0' only.

It may be implemented as pages for complex Mixer. At first we will have only 'Flight State 0' (default). If needed we can add pages ('Flight State 1', ...).
Last edit: 09 Jan 2013 14:37 by vlad_vy.

More
09 Jan 2013 17:05 - 09 Jan 2013 17:06 #4861 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Independent trims for flight modes
I agree on the flight phases. I don't use them myself, but I know a lot of people who do. (Open9x vs er9x)

Anyway, I was thinking that a quick fix would be to add the ability to select which trim variable we are trimming on the mixer page.

So for example, on the trims page we have 8 trims, Trim1 is ELE and Trim7 is ELE.

If we can choose which trim (1 or 7 in this example) we want to use for a PAGE in the mixer, then our trim values are saved in different variables depending on our current flight STATE, which I know is not a full flight phase system, but maybe it wouldn't be as much work and could be done quickly without having to add a complete "new object" into the code...

Just a thought...

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2013 17:06 by Hexperience.

More
09 Jan 2013 17:58 - 09 Jan 2013 18:15 #4862 by vlad_vy

rbe2012 wrote: I did a quick test. The normal trims influence the result of complex mixers, whatever number of pages are used. So I think the only way to achieve your goal would be to use virtual channels with different trims and glue them together in a complex mixer like:
vch1: throttle and fmode0 with trim A
vch2: throttle and fmode1 with trim B
channelX = complex ( vch1 and fmode0 | vch2 and fmode 1...)

I think it's the same and nothing need to change.

If thinking about trims only, maybe will be better link each trim (at trims page) to memory location by switch selection (Common (0) or FMode Sw (0, 1, 2)). At most we can get 3 independent trim values. It's better then nothing and will allow to have common or independent values for each trim.
Last edit: 09 Jan 2013 18:15 by vlad_vy.

More
09 Jan 2013 18:30 - 09 Jan 2013 18:32 #4863 by sbstnp
Lets define how it should look first. So far I came up with something like this:

(Trim) Profile
1. Name
2. Activation
- switch
- ???
3. Trims
- step values???
- values
4. ???

We should probably keep it simple at first. I'm willing to give a hand in implementation, as I'm becoming fairly familiar with Deviation code.

Anyway, we should hear what PB has to say about it.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 09 Jan 2013 18:32 by sbstnp.

• rbe2012
More
09 Jan 2013 19:30 #4865 by rbe2012
Would it be sufficient if we could define different trims on each page of a complex mixer? I just begun flying planes and have nearly no experience, but if I unterstood right only one trim per flight mode is necessary. It might be difficult to find/use the correct trim in each flight mode when I have to use left horizontal for fm0, left vertical for fm1 and so on.
But this might be an easy to implement enhancement.

More
09 Jan 2013 19:44 #4866 by FDR
Sorry, that I haven't came forward with a solution yet, but yesterday I was busy with the portal and today I had to work a lot...

So, don't rush!

What we do need here is a way for the trim setup to count the clicks of the same trim buttons into different variables depending some states, most probably switch states.

It won't hurt if we know, how things work now: Every trim setup row is a variable, to which we can configure which trim buttons clicks are added, and an input (more about it's name later), to which this value will be added on some mixer page. The simple and dr&expo mixer templates always apply the trim value appropriate for it's 'source', on a complex mixer page you can decide whether to apply it.

So the problems are:
1. While you can configure two trim setup rows (i.e. two trim variables) to the same trim buttons, but then their values always would be the same.
To resolve this we need to add an optional 'switch' to each trim setup line. This way that trim value only incremented/decremented if the switch is true.

2. Which trim value to add on the mixer page?
You could say there should be a selection on the complex mixer page. However don't forget about the simple mixer, and the fact, that it should be simple! ;)
So my suggestion is to keep things simple: There would be only the current 'trim'/'no trim' selection, and if there is more then one trim values are configured to the particular source, we would add that one, of which the switch is true.

3. So here comes the last problem: there could me more then one trim value with true switch value for a source.
This can be solved a few ways, for example some simple fixed priority or by the defined order, etc.

So this would work without defining any flight states. I don't say they wouldn't be useful for other purposes, but aren't neccesary just for this...

More
09 Jan 2013 19:45 #4867 by sbstnp

rbe2012 wrote: Would it be sufficient if we could define different trims on each page of a complex mixer? I just begun flying planes and have nearly no experience, but if I unterstood right only one trim per flight mode is necessary. It might be difficult to find/use the correct trim in each flight mode when I have to use left horizontal for fm0, left vertical for fm1 and so on.
But this might be an easy to implement enhancement.

I was thinking ahead a bit, maybe at one point in time there will be "profiles" changing more than trim values. Maybe even sets of mixers.

I have no idea if that would be valuable or not and I'm not the one to decide, but I'm used to think generically and not patch things in place.

Lets wait for PB and his opinion.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
09 Jan 2013 20:48 #4870 by FDR
Some thoughts about the 'flight modes' or 'flight states':

I like the idea, but not that way.
I would simple make it as an assignment for real switches, aka define in c.

This way the model configs and especially the templates could be more generic, because I could use these 'flight states' as switches, and if somebody else want to use my config or template, but doesn't like my switch choices, he could simply change the flight state assignments to the switches he prefers.

If they would be custom named or just simply numbered (like FM1, FM2, etc) is no matter (at least for me).
However custom names should be unique, and shouln't use existing switch names...

More
09 Jan 2013 21:12 #4871 by FDR
Actually (while it's a bit off topic here), I could imagine such an assignment for the channels/sticks too.
It would ease creating generic templates...

More
10 Jan 2013 04:39 - 11 Jan 2013 12:51 #4877 by vlad_vy
deleted
Last edit: 11 Jan 2013 12:51 by vlad_vy.

• rbe2012
More
10 Jan 2013 09:22 #4887 by rbe2012
FDR, vlad_vy,
I am not sure if I understood your ideas right.
A 'flight state' would be a complete setting for a model which could be used without any other settings to fly this model. This will be true for every flight modestate. And the flight states will change in dependency to some conditions like a single switch or a combination or whatever you might wish.
So this would be like switching models in flight without break / new binding.
Is this your intention?

More
10 Jan 2013 11:48 #4894 by FDR
No it's simpler than that, so here is some explanation:

How do we configure flight modes now?
They are used mostly in throttle and pitch curves, and perhaps in the gyro settings.
You can use an 'Expo&DR' or a 'Complex' mixer template to configure different curves/functions for the different flight mode switch values, most likely you will use the FMODE0, FMODE1 and FMODE2 switch values.

However if somebody would like to use your config, but want to use the MIX switch values (MIX0, MIX1, MIX2) to differentiate the flight modes, he would have to change all the selected switches, which can be quite a lot.

But if we could assign these switch values first to some 'virtual' switches, and use those in the model config everywhere, then the aforementioned switch change would be only a few clicks, and the whole config would be more readable...

• rbe2012
More
10 Jan 2013 12:23 #4895 by rbe2012
Thank you FDR, understood now.
Maybe my approach could have the potential of solving the trim independence problem too, that's why I thought this could be intended.
Sometimes I think if only my english would be better many things could be easier for me...

Another view from the direction of user interface (slightly influenced by the discussion about standard and advanced mixer gui):
When I make a new heli's model.ini sooner or later I will come to the mixers. For me I usually make throttle and pitch dependent from the fm switch. In the future (assuming your idea will be implemented) I would not use the fm switch but a virtual one. Somewhere else I would define the conditions when this virtual switch will be considered to be on or off. So nearly nothing changes on the mixer pages, but I have a new page for the switches. Ok.
Might it be easier to have the standard ui where everything I have to set is to be found on a few pages and the items are not channel- but function-orientated? So I imagine from the switch page I come to the first "flight state setting" page and make my settings. For making things easier this could be copied to the next flight state page - or I have a base setting (somewhere previous called 'flight state 0') and for every switch I choose for every value (e.g. with a crossing box) wether to leave or change it (or with a special marker like color/border/font I can see if it comes unchanged from fs0 or it was changed).
When the advanced ui is used I might mix up switches in complex mixers and as inputs for virtual switches with unpredictible results. Or do you take the switch away from the complex mixer? In this case: what about switches which should switch something in every flight state like d/r? Do we get a recursion?

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds