Range Test

More
12 Feb 2014 01:45 - 12 Feb 2014 01:51 #20153 by chris-nc
Range Test was created by chris-nc
First I wanted to thank all involved for a great upgrade. I've been using Deviation on my Devo 10 for a long time and all of the versions have been great.

I searched around and didn't find anything, and apologize if already asked, but what is the proper way to range test using the latest version. I'm using mostly DSMx at the moment and starting to get into larger aircraft that could use a bit of range. Should I drop the power to the lowest setting, test, and then max it out again? Curious since there is no 'range test' function.

Thanks - Chris

Edit: Oops. Never mind. Just found a recent thread that wasn't there last time I looked around. Think I found my answer.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2014 01:51 by chris-nc. Reason: Found it!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Feb 2014 02:32 #20156 by jazzjohn
Replied by jazzjohn on topic Range Test
I have the same question. Could you please share the answer?

More
12 Feb 2014 04:19 #20163 by Kdean
Replied by Kdean on topic Range Test
Set the transmitter output power to its lowest setting, walk 30 paces away from your model and you should still have connection. (Dont forget to turn the transmit power back up before flying).

Thats what my friend did with his Devo8s after finding out the old orange rx units he had were not full range rx's. He put a full range spectrum in his 60" wing span fiberglass fuse plane, did the above test, and all was good. At 30 paces he had connection, but as soon as he turned his back to the model, tx away from model, he would lose signal.

More
12 Feb 2014 07:00 - 12 Feb 2014 07:04 #20167 by linux-user
Replied by linux-user on topic Range Test
see: deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-discussi...w-to-do-a-range-test

And there is a ticket at bitbucket where vlad_vy gives an answer how to do it right now.
bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation/i...eeds-range-test-mode
Last edit: 12 Feb 2014 07:04 by linux-user.

More
30 May 2014 22:17 #23768 by jazzjohn
Replied by jazzjohn on topic Range Test
With my Devo 6 @ 100 microwatts, the range to a dual-satellite 450 heli is only 25 ft. This translates to about 1000 ft @ 150 mW, which seems low.
Anyone else try a range test for a Devo 6?

More
31 May 2014 19:02 #23793 by Sero
Replied by Sero on topic Range Test
Same here with an AR400, 10 meters max. That's never the 800 meters range from the specs. :huh:
My DX8 gets more than 50 meters while range testing...

I hoped to use the Devo 6S as a travel TX (maybe even for my Radian), but like this, it's only good with smaller planes, even the UMX Radian is risky...

A day without flying can't be called a day.

More
31 May 2014 21:16 #23794 by tmcg
Replied by tmcg on topic Range Test
With Devo6s and DSMX satellite rx, at lowest tx power setting of 100uW, I have made the mistake twice now of taking off. At about 10ft away from me the heli goes into lost-comm mode and cuts power to the motor. At 300uW setting, I get about 20ft or so before it cuts out. Possible the 6s has a weaker amp or lower gain antenna than other radios.

More
01 Jun 2014 00:56 #23800 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Range Test
The 6S has a 0dbi antenna IIRC.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds