Standard or Advanced GUI that is the question?

More
09 Aug 2015 09:43 #36705 by saidem
Hello,
The "Standard" mode allows it to use the virtual channel mixers? In an another way when the standard interface is used, it can add nothing, is that it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2015 02:29 #36717 by mwm
You should really only use the standard gui for collective pitch helicopters, preferably ones with flybars. It is copied from proprietary tx helicopter guis, and makes setting those up easier. But the things it makes easier aren't used on anything but helicopters, and aren't really much help if you've got a modern flybarless flight controller.

There is nothing you can do in the standard gui that you can't do in the advanced gui, and a lot of things you can do in the advanced gui you can't do in the standard gui.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
10 Aug 2015 10:06 #36721 by saidem
Thank you very much for all this information, I thought so a little, but I wanted to make sure I understood everything. Have a nice day.

More
11 Aug 2015 12:07 - 11 Aug 2015 12:13 #36774 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Standard or Advanced GUI that is the question?
No, the standard mixer GUI will NOT let you use virtual channels. All the channel mappings are invisible.
You would have to change the (configured) model from standard to advanced GUI to see it.
This will leave the already done programming in the standard heli GUI (background advanced channel setup).
You also can not use the Mix switch and AUX4/5 knobs to fine tune your gyro gain.
You would have to create complex mixers to make use of those.

The pitch curve point settings are different from the standard to the advanced settings.
There is also an "auto-point-adjust" for 9-13 point curves which will auto change the mid points once you adjust some (outer) points.
In the advanced mixer GUI you have to manually set ALL curve points.

It also is a disadvantage to have to enter -100 to +50 throttle curves in the advanced mixer GUI as your ESC translates all the curve points to 0..100. So you have to manually calculate the advanced throttle curve points if you e.g want 60, 75, 85% throttle.

There is also a bug with the standard heli mixer GUI for Cyclic1/Cyclic2.
Please see the 5-6 open CCPM threads to this topic I replied to.

Last recommendation in the CCPM flybar thread was: You have to manually edit the model.ini file and reassign Cyclic1/Cyclic2 inputs on CH1/CH2 channels (Devo protocol).

We will see what route we go for Cyclic1/Cyclic2 channel and AIL/ELEV input assignment as well cyclic1/cyclic2 mixer calculations and the best way how to fix the bug without having to make previous model.ini settings useless if possible.

I once had opened a request thread to re-implement some of the cool features of the standard curve menus to the advanced mixer GUI but IMHO there was not that much interest (complex and time consuming topic).

If you know what you are doing (programming) you can simply go the standard mixer GUI way.
Either with the 6CH heli template which presets some channels including D/R and Expo and which also will work with FBL (if CCPM set to None) or you can go from scratch and setup all manually.
See the Howto FBL thread...

It's to have the control of everything in the programming but Spektrum Airware menu setups might be a little bit faster...I don't care :)

Thomas
Last edit: 11 Aug 2015 12:13 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
11 Aug 2015 20:40 #36809 by mwm

Thomas.Heiss wrote: I once had opened a request thread to re-implement some of the cool features of the standard curve menus to the advanced mixer GUI but IMHO there was not that much interest (complex and time consuming topic).

As far as I know, none of the developers in the deviation team use the standard GUI. Which means the best person to work on it is probably you, at least if you have any programming experience at all. If you're interested but not sure about how to get started, just ask. Having a developer actually paying attention to the standard GUI would be a great thing!

I'm also curious as to whether you think my advice on avoiding the standard GUI for flybarless heli's is correct. I know it creates headaches for non-heli things (which was part of why I added the "multi" aircraft type), but I wasn't sure about if how useful it was for FBL helis. Nuts, if you want to propose improved language for the manual, I'd be more than happy to add that.

More
13 Aug 2015 09:23 - 13 Aug 2015 09:31 #36838 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Standard or Advanced GUI that is the question?
Well, to my understanding (and setup testing): Standard GUI vs advanced mixer GUI has nothing to do with flybar vs flybarless.
In the model setup / heli menu you can choose CCPM None / 120 no matter what mixer GUI type you are in.

It's more a "do I want those fancy Spektrum DX8 like heli standard menus" which may make some things (e.g gyro gain, throttle curves, pitch curves) a little bit more easier and faster. Especially for newbiews.
I sometimes even recommend do overread the Spektrum DX8 and DX6 V2 as well as heli BNF manuals. Even they are very simple.
Gets you started at a point (especially for Spektrum FlightLog) and then you can jump on the DeviationTX firmware + manual train with at least some background.

The advanced mixer GUI will let you do advanced gyro gain stuff with the MIX2 switch on the Devo10.

The standard mixer heli GUI does not have (yet) the same additional fine-trim functionality as the DX8 gyro gain menus per Flight-Mode (visualizing two gyro numbers besides each other and in-flight gyro gain trimming PER Flight-Mode).

For the advanced mixer GUI and heli type:
If you ask me what advice to give if a flybarless setup should use 6CH heli template with pre-setup Cyclic1-3 mixers vs manual setting up all channel mappings in the advanced mixer GUI with the "Howto FBL heli thread", this is another topic.
I personally used the 6CH heli template (advanced mixer GUI) even for my V120 FBL setup. It was my 1st model.
Either way will work.
But it is nice to my understanding that you do not have to create everything from scratch.
On the other way it is not that complicated too and a "self written FBL" model.ini may be a little bit more understandable.
The big benefit is you do not have to scroll down to to the Virtual1-3 mixers and adjust D/R and expo settings there.

I am missing a 3-way dualrate/expo template for planes + helis anyways which combines the two switches AIL+ELEV for all three channels (RUDD, AIL, ELEV).
So there is always some (minor) extra work involved.
It just some minor tweaking with the 6CH heli template as the mixers are already there. Just some different switch selection in the mixer menus. With the new auto-switch select feature it is a very fast and handsome modification.

There was an open thread asking how to simply the three channel D/R / expo mixers with just one mixer without having to enter / select the numbers over and over again. I agree, it is a little bit weird to have to enter all settings three times (if you want 3-way D/R+expo on 2 switches).

Fresh model files may confuse newbies where to start / what to do. You will not manage it without reading the manuals. Even if you come from Spektrum transmitters.
So the open philosphy is the same concept like OpenTX...you have to start somewhere to get the big picture.
But as well explained within the "Howto FBL heli" thread they are not completely alone at this step too.

One user should choose what he likes / prefers more. There will be different opinions depending on what you want to get out of your setup.
Last edit: 13 Aug 2015 09:31 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
14 Aug 2015 04:21 #36865 by mwm
You're right, Standard vs. Advanced really isn't about FBL vs non-FBL. Yes, the Standard GUI will handle FBL, but you don't need it either, as setting up an FBL heli on the Advanced GUI isn't noticeably harder than setting up a 4-channel aircraft. Given the problems people have trying to use the Standard GUI with things that aren't helis, and the bugs in the cyclic channels that FBL heli's don't need, I figured that was the best advice.

The current wording (second paragraph in the Mixer GUI section in deviationtx.com/manuals/html-devo10/ch_m...el-setup-std-adv-gui ) seems about right to me, but if you want to suggest changes to the wording, I'd be interested in seeing them.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds