Can I use the knobs to select

More
18 Feb 2016 03:18 #43226 by aperseghin
Can I use the knobs to select was created by aperseghin
I would be really cool if I could use the knobs (on DEVO 10) to scroll through menus, select numbers, etc. when editing a model in the transmitter. Is this possible?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Feb 2016 06:25 #43228 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Can I use the knobs to select
I'd say no, as they are analogue pots with fixed endpoints; the logic of, say, having the mid point as "stop", clockwise of this as variable-speed incrementing, and anti-clockwise of mid as variable-speed decrementing just doesn't seem to work to me. You'd have to turn it then quickly return to mid to stop at the point you want. I guess you could chuck in some logic that looked at the delta between previous and current ADC readings to see if you are actively twiddling, but still seems like it would be fraught with pitfalls.

What you want instead is a rotary encoder; I've been considering how to possibly hook one up through an arduino (or other) in parallel with a trim button pair; the quicker you turn one way or the other the more "clicks" the trim gets. In theory. Probably not something I'd get around to investigating further for some time though.

More
18 Feb 2016 12:42 - 18 Feb 2016 12:55 #43241 by aperseghin
Replied by aperseghin on topic Can I use the knobs to select

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: I'd say no, as they are analogue pots with fixed endpoints; the logic of, say, having the mid point as "stop", clockwise of this as variable-speed incrementing, and anti-clockwise of mid as variable-speed decrementing just doesn't seem to work to me. You'd have to turn it then quickly return to mid to stop at the point you want. I guess you could chuck in some logic that looked at the delta between previous and current ADC readings to see if you are actively twiddling, but still seems like it would be fraught with pitfalls.

What you want instead is a rotary encoder; I've been considering how to possibly hook one up through an arduino (or other) in parallel with a trim button pair; the quicker you turn one way or the other the more "clicks" the trim gets. In theory. Probably not something I'd get around to investigating further for some time though.

So we could in theory, replace AUX 4 or 5 with an encoder, connect it to a trim or one of the buttons (up down) and use it as input.
or what about this idea
i.ytimg.com/vi/0wUSGq-I-8E/maxresdefault.jpg
Last edit: 18 Feb 2016 12:55 by aperseghin.

More
19 Feb 2016 00:34 #43268 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Can I use the knobs to select
If for navigation, I'm thinking you'd want say up/down AND left/right, all hooked up to an arduino (small/cheap) that's reading a rotary encoder, one with a push-button (cheapest ebay ones have these). So you can toggle on push as to which set of buttons you want to work with, then work on that pair with the rotation.
I've got the above encoder and spare arduino lying around, but not the time (2month old baby + 5yo)

More
20 Feb 2016 05:52 #43352 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Can I use the knobs to select
I can see how the knob would work, buy I'm not sure how HF fare it would be to implement.

Instead of the knob position denoting velocity, it would Debbie position. Twist all the way in one direction, and it goes to the top or left end of the list. Twist all the East in the other direction, and it goes to the other end of the list. Go to the 0 position, and it fired to the center of the list.

This would totally destroy the existing memory in the menus, though.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
20 Feb 2016 08:10 #43353 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Can I use the knobs to select
I would rather like to use the sticks, for example:
The throttle stick could be used to select the field, while the ELE and/or AIL stick would change the actual value.
Rudder could navigate between the menus...

jm2c

More
22 Feb 2016 11:03 #43453 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic Can I use the knobs to select

FDR wrote: I would rather like to use the sticks, for example:
The throttle stick could be used to select the field, while the ELE and/or AIL stick would change the actual value.
Rudder could navigate between the menus...

jm2c

Very interesting idea. Maybe all those buttons were unnecessary.

Such a natural and completely overlooked idea.

More
22 Feb 2016 11:12 #43454 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Can I use the knobs to select
You need at least one button press to enter the menu, otherwise you reconfigure your model while flying... :lol:

More
22 Feb 2016 18:10 #43470 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Can I use the knobs to select
The sticks - except for throttle - couldn't work like I proposed the knobs work. The spring would take you back to the "center" item when you let them go, which would be a PITA. So you need to to take movement left/right and up/down to act like buttons. The Blade 200 SRX dces this for calibrating the flight controller, and it's a PITA.

Personally, I think I'd rather use the appropriate trim switches if you want to avoid adding buttons. I'm thinking of ways to make that possible. You could then yank the four navigation buttons and turn them into yet more switches.....

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
22 Feb 2016 19:11 #43474 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Can I use the knobs to select
Interesting ideas indeed.
F.I. right stick just to be moved 15% out of center up down right left to scroll step by step true menus must do a beep for each move? Possibly a faster auto scoll true menus for stick travel 50-100%

The left rudder stick full 100% right or left, to select enter or toggle the setting in the destination field?
I think very intuitive, think about entering the letters for model name this way?

Not sure if it is a first priority, but indeed innovative!

More
23 Feb 2016 07:17 - 23 Feb 2016 07:26 #43497 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic Can I use the knobs to select
Cool.

Traverse an infinite list of things or categories. Glide among them at whatever speed you desire. Select. Enter. Expand. Manipulate. Choose. Continue.

The stick is a nimble pointer or mouse. The display is a sliding window into a larger world.

As in the movie: The Matrix. Infinite rows of weapons bursting into existence on command. :-)

(Sorry, got carried away.)
Last edit: 23 Feb 2016 07:26 by Richard96816.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds