Question about nightly build

More
18 Apr 2016 22:13 #46761 by George_Baker
Question about nightly build was created by George_Baker
I'm still using v4.0.1 and having no problems at all. I'm doing Spring upgrades for the new season and I am wondering if I should upgrade to a new nightly build to improve the "robustness" of my TX / RX systems (DEVO 12s and Spectrum DSMX). The nightly I'm looking at is 4-10-2016 / deviation-devo12-v4.0.1-g32bb7c. Is that a good build? Would it be wise to upgrade?
Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2016 22:46 #46764 by RedSleds
Replied by RedSleds on topic Question about nightly build
What would be wise is to locally archive each entire .zip file of whichever version of deviation firmware that you have flashed on your DEVO Tx. That way, if something is not right with a newly flashed version, you can go back to the last working version that you had on the Tx. Not really necessary for an official release version, but certainly prudent if you flash Nightly Builds often. Being able to revert back to one of your previously working Nightlies, so that you can get back to flying right away, can be better than waiting for a fix of whatever the problem is on the next firmware build.

Anyway, ....that is what I do.

That said, I think that we are pretty close to a new released version of Deviation.

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)

More
18 Apr 2016 23:25 #46766 by George_Baker
Replied by George_Baker on topic Question about nightly build
Thanks for the info RedSleds. That sounds like a good idea. Is the current nightly more reliable with Spektrum DSMX than last official v4? Were there any critical fixes in the last year or so?

More
19 Apr 2016 03:19 #46777 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Question about nightly build
I am planning to do a 5.0 release VERY soon now. I expect it to be functionally identical to the nightly builds. Any changes that come are likely to be protocol only related.

More
19 Apr 2016 06:27 #46781 by gongye
Replied by gongye on topic Question about nightly build
I hope in the later version of the 5 to add a fasst Futaba protocol and a large border agreement, it is said that the big border with the 24L01 wireless module.

More
19 Apr 2016 10:08 #46788 by George_Baker
That is good news v5 will be soon. Thanks to everyone for their hard work. My biggest question is do I need an upgrade from v4? Any big safety of flight improvements for DSMX since v4?

More
19 Apr 2016 10:20 #46789 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Question about nightly build
AFAIK if you use DSM2/DSMX/DEVO telemetry the v4.0.1. might be unstable.

More
19 Apr 2016 10:38 - 19 Apr 2016 11:08 #46790 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Question about nightly build
This forum search capabilities do really suck, e.g displaying result list just by thread name instead of on 20-30+ pages.

So many new threads opened and re-opened over and over again - just because not anyone can find the real important threads which do exist and have already been discussed into the ground.
Or even are still un-answered...

I guess we need to start to list very important forum (summary) threads and what is the detail-topic/result for them on the new WIKI?!?

YES, you should (I would even say MUST) upgrade instead of flying with V4.0.1 release.

YES, there have been changes to DSMx protocol besides DEVO as well as including bigger Spektrum telemetry enhancements (FlightLog, re-alarming, etc.).

Still bigger DSMx re-engineering from Indigos test-build(s) is open to be tested and discussed (further RX-telemetry <->TX deadlock tests + telemetry enhancements to be "some day" included in release candidate).

Summary of current discussions:
- 5.0 RLS discussion and links to 3 previous release threads in brown-out thread: www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...ments?start=20#46348

- My new DSMx (unanswered) questions about latest DSM changes: www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...port?start=400#46358
Last edit: 19 Apr 2016 11:08 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
02 May 2016 01:01 - 02 May 2016 01:04 #47572 by George_Baker
Thank you Thomas and others for your responses.

Since the last post I’ve been doing a lot of catching up and research. I installed 4-11-2016 nightly build but it has a cosmetic bug with the digit readout on the main screen (I made a bug report). The v5.0.0 release has the same bug.

My question is this. Since I don’t use telemetry with DSMX is the v4.0.1 release just as good for DSMX as the v5 release as far as maximum range and reliability is concerned?

DEVO 12s
Last edit: 02 May 2016 01:04 by George_Baker.

More
02 May 2016 04:31 - 02 May 2016 05:04 #47576 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Question about nightly build
Digit readout on mainscreen? www.deviationtx.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=674

Never displayed telemetry (voltage) values on mainscreen (another bug file).
Update: Forget what I said...confused your post with another bug id of telemetry voltage digits...
Then use the telemetry screen and maybe alarm 1-3 jumping feature on alarm / re-alarm in the meanwhile.

Well, see my above linked un-answered questions on DSM telemetry support thread about latest (2015) code changes and error checking and how a CYRF reset works.
Most of the protocol discussions was on Indigos DSM+Devo test builds (improvements on error checking and buffers) on DEVO support thread anyways...
You better understand CYRF register and C coding to follow those threads in detail.
Yes, there had been differences on those Indigos test builds on FrameLoss handling and range...

I personally would not use DSMx without FlightLog anyways...and for telemetry improvements nightly-build / release 5.0 is a must (>255/0xFF display).

There are 3-4 forum threads on OrangeRX, Lemon, DSMx range...hard to tell.
Last edit: 02 May 2016 05:04 by Thomas.Heiss.

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds