Flysky Mod How-to

More
09 Sep 2012 00:30 - 09 Sep 2012 00:32 #1392 by rototophe
Flysky Mod How-to was created by rototophe
I see that the 1.0 release is up since a few minutes. It's very exciting, thanks for all the work you guys put into this. You probably made a lot of people's dream come true as far as flying a wide range of models from different brands with a unique Tx powered by a full featured firmware. So first of all thank you very much for that. ;)

I see the firmware supports the Flysky protocol. Hints were given that the support would require salvaging the Tx module of a V911 Tx and wire/solder it inside the Devo 8.

A set of instructions on how to perform the procedure, possibly along with some pictures, would be great. I am sure it's in the works anyways, I guess I am just impatient to bind my V911 and V929 to my Devo 8 and fly them with a decent radio.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2012 00:32 by rototophe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Sep 2012 01:29 #1394 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Flysky Mod How-to
Yep, it is in the works. It will be exactly what you expect: a step-by-step instruction with pictures, but because of that it will take a little longer to do.

More
09 Sep 2012 15:05 - 09 Sep 2012 15:07 #1417 by PhracturedBlue
Here is a draft describing the procedure. Please read through it nad let me know if you have any questions:
deviationtx.com/downloads/Flysky%20to%20Devo%20-%20Draft.pdf
(It is also on the Downloads page)

Edit:
Fixed the link
Last edit: 09 Sep 2012 15:07 by PhracturedBlue.

More
09 Sep 2012 15:40 - 09 Sep 2012 16:07 #1418 by rototophe
Replied by rototophe on topic Flysky Mod How-to
Now that was fast :)

Thanks for the document. I just read through it once so far. It looks clear enough at first glance.

Couple remarks:
  1. Few typos here and there in the document, no big deal as far as understanding what needs to be done.

2. When reading through the first time and getting to the pin matching table I was confused about what the TMS pin was and about it's location. That issue is cleared when continuing the reading. Maybe the TMS could be introduced before this table. In the very same way the transmitting modules are introduced.

3. Is the antenna wire on the A7105 of any use in this mod? If yes does it need to be connected to the radio antenna? Arranged in a certain way inside the case? If not can it be cut off or de-soldered. (I am just asking all the dumb questions that come to mind here). I guess the question here is: witch module actually sends out the RF output for the Flysky protocol?

4. Maybe it would be a good idea, at what is now the end of the document, to instruct the reader to insulate the A7105 with hot glue or shrink tubing before sticking it inside the Devo 8 case. A suggestion about where to locate it inside the case could also be provided.

That's about it regarding the document itself.

Now I have a more general question about the mod itself.
Let's say I solder the A7105 in my radio and for some strange reason I want to go back to the stock firmware. Will the presence of the foreign module in there disrupt proper operation of the Walkera firmware?
Last edit: 09 Sep 2012 16:07 by rototophe.

More
09 Sep 2012 16:49 #1419 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Flysky Mod How-to
Russian translation of "Flysky to Devo - Draft".

files.mail.ru/4DIF39

Open page, wait 10 seconds, then press red button.

More
09 Sep 2012 18:12 #1421 by PhracturedBlue

rototophe wrote: Now that was fast :)

Thanks for the document. I just read through it once so far. It looks clear enough at first glance.

I'll incorporate the feedback but...

Is the antenna wire on the A7105 of any use in this mod? If yes does it need to be connected to the radio antenna? Arranged in a certain way inside the case? If not can it be cut off or de-soldered. (I am just asking all the dumb questions that come to mind here). I guess the question here is: witch module actually sends out the RF output for the Flysky protocol?

Yes the antenna from the V911 is still in use. I would point it either up or down, but honestly it doesn't need to be outside the Tx.

Maybe it would be a good idea, at what is now the end of the document, to instruct the reader to insulate the A7105 with hot glue or shrink tubing before sticking it inside the Devo 8 case. A suggestion about where to locate it inside the case could also be provided.

Thanks for reminding me. I meant to put that in, but forgot.

Now I have a more general question about the mod itself.
Let's say I solder the A7105 in my radio and for some strange reason I want to go back to the stock firmware. Will the presence of the foreign module in there disrupt proper operation of the Walkera firmware?

It won't cause any issues at all (except for potentially drawing a little more power) with the stock firmware.

More
09 Sep 2012 19:23 - 09 Sep 2012 19:36 #1426 by rototophe

PhracturedBlue wrote: Yes the antenna from the V911 is still in use. I would point it either up or down, but honestly it doesn't need to be outside the Tx.

What range can be expected with this setup and using a Flysky Rx? Can I safely assume it's OK to use a modified Devo8 and a Flysy Rx in a large scale plane (2 meters+ wingspan/50cc engine) and fly the thing without having cold sweat running down my spine when the plane becomes small to the eye? Or is it best to stick with indoor/outdoor flying of micro planes/helis/quads?

Not undermining anything here, just trying to gauge the hardware potential. I'm already super happy that I'll be able to fly V911s and 939 with something else than the stock Rx ... I was contemplating buying a 9x radio then I came across a thread on Rc groups talking about some sort of project for some sort of firmware for a Walkera radio ...
Last edit: 09 Sep 2012 19:36 by rototophe.

More
09 Sep 2012 19:37 - 09 Sep 2012 19:37 #1428 by PhracturedBlue

rototophe wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: Yes the antenna from the V911 is still in use. I would point it either up or down, but honestly it doesn't need to be outside the Tx.

What range can be expected with this setup and using a Flysky Rx. Can I safely assume it's OK to use a modified Devo8 and a Flysy Rx in a large scale plane (2 meters+ wingspan/50cc engine) and fly the thing without having cold sweat running down my spine when the plane becomes small to the eye? Or is it best to stick with indoor/outdoor flying of micro planes/helis/quads?

Not undermining anything here, just trying to gauge the hardware potential. I'm already super happy that I'll be able to fly V911s and 939 with something else than the stock Rx ... I was contemplating buying a 9x radio then I came across a thread on Rc groups talking about some sort of project for some sort of firmware for a Walkera radio ...

I definitely would not fly a large-scale plane with this setup using the Flysky protocol. The range will likely be significantly less than that of a Turnigy 9x. I don't know what power-amp the flysky module uses, but it is designed for a micro-heli, so probably not that powerful. I've bought 100mW 2.4GHz transceivers from AliExpress for the CC2500 and nrf24l01 modules (which are used by other 2.4Ghz RC systems). But I haven't found one based on the A7105 yet.
Last edit: 09 Sep 2012 19:37 by PhracturedBlue.

More
09 Sep 2012 19:46 #1429 by PhracturedBlue
I just looked again and found this:
www.aliexpress.com/item/A7105-500m-wirel...odule/618163359.html
That is a 50mW A7105 module. A little pricey though.
I'm not sure how to measure the Tx power of the V911 module, so I'm not sure how it would compare to that. I'll probably order one to see. It should install exactly the same as the V911 module does.

More
10 Sep 2012 23:09 - 11 Sep 2012 18:59 #1487 by rototophe
I am happy to report that I completed the mod on my Devo8s with a salvaged V911 RF module and following the instruction given in the "Flysky Module Install" document available in the download section.

I probably lost 2 notches of eyesight staring at the pins of the Devo RF module while soldering under a magnifying glass. Anyhow, the Tx did boot up and did not smoke after soldering was completed (pweeff) and I was able to bind a V911 using Fixed ID. Couldn't get it to bind at boot for some reason, but I am sure I was not doing it right. Anyhow, it did bind and all controls moving, nice!

One question still on the Flysky support in Deviation: do the transmit power in the model setting page actually work with the V911 RF module? Or?

I also though while spending some time trying to set up the V911 that it would be nice if Deviation could handle power saving on the LCD. Backligh level and turn screen off to save power and avoid marking the screen if you stay too long (always) on the same page ... but I am sure it's in the works for the next release :-)
Last edit: 11 Sep 2012 18:59 by rototophe.

More
11 Sep 2012 00:47 #1490 by PhracturedBlue
If you get around to it, feel free to post your setup. Or I'll post mine in a bit (I accidently erased my settings, and don't have nay charged batteries at the moment...oops)
Anyhow.
use the 4ch w/ DR template.
then set AIL, ELE, and RUD to reversed (in the channel page, not the mixer src)
That should be all it takes to get it flyable.

More
11 Sep 2012 00:49 #1491 by PhracturedBlue
Transmit power is not supported at the moment, though I believe that the A7105 does have power settings so I could expose them. I'll add it to my to-do list.

More
11 Sep 2012 02:25 - 11 Sep 2012 02:28 #1495 by rototophe

PhracturedBlue wrote: If you get around to it, feel free to post your setup.

I'll definitely post a V911 template up soon. Actually I thought I'll wait until expodential is fixed so I can post a complete ini file with Dual Rates, Expo and everything. So far I have it set at 60% throw everywhere but rudder (50%), some subtrim on Elevator as the thing is tail heavy because of battery placement and some subtrim on Ailerons because it's drifting sideways.

One thing I noticed while setting up the model is that subtrim travel is limited to a value of 10 and it's definitely not enough and need to be increased. Or am I getting it wrong and subtrim is indexed on the trim step value set for the channel in the Trim page?
Last edit: 11 Sep 2012 02:28 by rototophe.

More
11 Sep 2012 03:22 - 11 Sep 2012 03:22 #1499 by PhracturedBlue

rototophe wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: If you get around to it, feel free to post your setup.

I'll definitely post a V911 template up soon. Actually I thought I'll wait until expodential is fixed so I can post a complete ini file with Dual Rates, Expo and everything. So far I have it set at 60% throw everywhere but rudder (50%), some subtrim on Elevator as the thing is tail heavy because of battery placement and some subtrim on Ailerons because it's drifting sideways.

One thing I noticed while setting up the model is that subtrim travel is limited to a value of 10 and it's definitely not enough and need to be increased. Or am I getting it wrong and subtrim is indexed on the trim step value set for the channel in the Trim page?

No, you got it right. I can make subtrim larger, but the issue is that you'll run out of throw on the Rx side if it gets too much larger, and you'll see uneven control for pos/neg directions.
effectively subtrim will overdrive the servos. Most receivers can take ~40% overdrive (140%) but it depends on the protocol.

And the expo bug is now fixed if you didn't see.
Last edit: 11 Sep 2012 03:22 by PhracturedBlue.

More
11 Sep 2012 18:52 - 11 Sep 2012 18:53 #1538 by rototophe

PhracturedBlue wrote: No, you got it right. I can make subtrim larger, but the issue is that you'll run out of throw on the Rx side if it gets too much larger, and you'll see uneven control for pos/neg directions.
effectively subtrim will overdrive the servos. Most receivers can take ~40% overdrive (140%) but it depends on the protocol.
And the expo bug is now fixed if you didn't see.

A little more would be nice, actually as much as you feel it safe.

PhracturedBlue wrote: I just looked again and found this:
www.aliexpress.com/item/A7105-500m-wirel...odule/618163359.html
That is a 50mW A7105 module. A little pricey though.
I'm not sure how to measure the Tx power of the V911 module, so I'm not sure how it would compare to that. I'll probably order one to see. It should install exactly the same as the V911 module does.

Let me know if you order the module and run some tests on it, I'd be interested in having a more powerful Flysky setup in the radio.

On the same topic, would it be a dumb idea to assume the actual 9x flysky module could be used? May be actually less powerful than the module you were talking about...
Last edit: 11 Sep 2012 18:53 by rototophe.

More
11 Sep 2012 19:41 #1544 by PhracturedBlue

rototophe wrote: On the same topic, would it be a dumb idea to assume the actual 9x flysky module could be used? May be actually less powerful than the module you were talking about...

No it isn't usable. It takes a PPM input which is not the same as the SPI input that we use for the V911 module

More
16 Sep 2012 21:52 #1658 by gektor
Replied by gektor on topic Flysky Mod How-to
I would like to make this Mod too and I would apreciate your help.

Do I understand correctly, that this Mod adds the second Transmitter, which is always active but will not affect the other protocols like Walkera, Devo and DSM2?

Will the two transmitters working at the same time so closely together cause no interference at all?

I would like to use my V911 Heli ocasionally, while operating Walkera and Devo Helicopters on a reagular basis. I use Deviation and the standard Walkera Firmware and alternate between both sometimes.

Is it a good Idea to make this mod then?

More
16 Sep 2012 22:13 #1660 by rototophe
I completed the mod on my Devo 8s. So far I fly a couple V911s, a Ladybird and a Solo Pro 125 and as far as I can tell I did not notice any problem having the V911 RF module in the Devo8S and using other protocols. This being said I only tested this at short range. I did not make range tests to see if the V911 module's presence affect the range of other protocols. My guess is no but PharactureBlue may answer this better than I can.

I also tested the original Walkera firmware operation with the mod and all appear to work as intended.

Don't forget to insulate the V911 module with hot glue or shrink tubing before sticking it inside the Devo. I located it on top of the Devo RF module with servo double side tape, antenna pointing down.

More
16 Sep 2012 23:50 #1661 by PhracturedBlue
Only one module is actually transmitting at a time so there should not be any significant interference, however, I have yet to do a range-test to confirm.

More
17 Sep 2012 08:57 #1673 by gektor
Replied by gektor on topic Flysky Mod How-to

PhracturedBlue wrote: Only one module is actually transmitting at a time so there should not be any significant interference, however, I have yet to do a range-test to confirm.

This is interesting: how do you (technically seen) switch between two modules which are soldered to one Transmitter? Is this funcitonality implemented within the Deviation Firmware? What about the standard Firmware which I also use? How does this firmware know, which module is activated?

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds