Syma X1 Module Install & Binding Issue (solved)

More
23 Oct 2013 04:03 - 24 Oct 2013 02:06 #14888 by Angry_Monk
I tried searching the forums and the internet but found nothing to help me solve this problem so I am resorting to this post for help...

I upgraded my Devo 8S to the deviation 3.0.0 firmware and installed the A7105 module from my Syma X1 Tx in the Devo 8S as well. I couldn't find any pin-outs for that module but I had scoped out the pins a couple months ago so I had most of the information I needed. After the install I did run into an issue where the Devo would try to start but I would get a black screen with a beep over and over and nothing would happen. I switched the MOSI and MISO lines (I had a suspicion those were reversed) and that made the Devo start up normally. Just for completeness I had the 6 pins on the module labeled as: ENABLE (SCS?), CLOCK (SCK), MISO, MOSI, Vdd (+), and GRD. This is going from left to right if the chip is viewed from the top, with the A7105 visible, and the pins on the bottom ( dl.dropbox.com/u/83640388/Syma%20X1/syma...ntenna_completed.jpg ). I connected ENABLE/SCS to TMS and all the other connections to their appropriate locations as per the Module Installation Manual.

The problem I am having now is that I can't get the Devo to bind to the X1. I switched the protocol to FlySky and made sure the Tx.ini file was correct. I tried turning on the Devo after I connected the battery on the X1, tried re-initializing the protocol while the X1 was powering up, and many variation of that.

Does anyone know what I could be doing wrong?

Thanks
Last edit: 24 Oct 2013 02:06 by Angry_Monk. Reason: solved

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
23 Oct 2013 05:59 #14892 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Syma X1 Module Install & Binding Issue
I am not familiar with adding new rf modules to the tx and flying other birds. What I could guess:
- you have enabled the module in your tx.ini (TMS=A13)?
- the module gets the correct voltage (3.3V should be usual)?
- the X1 flies with the protocol you have chosen?
- the additional antenna was mounted by the producer? Did this work in the original tx?

Your description of the connection appears to indicate no problem. MISO / MOSI are often changed because it is never clear who can be the master. I am a little bit surprised that the Devo won't work with those lines switched - on the output line should only be a signal if the chip is selected.
I actually don't know if deviation expects a chip enable line at TMS with active high (seems to be used for your rf module) or active low.

More
23 Oct 2013 08:31 #14897 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Syma X1 Module Install & Binding Issue
Have you tried a model ID of 1111, I remember with the WlToys quads V929-939 it was mandatory, else it wouldn't bind.

Don't know about the syma but it won't hurt to try.

More
23 Oct 2013 10:40 #14898 by MassiveOverkill
Replied by MassiveOverkill on topic Syma X1 Module Install & Binding Issue
^^^^^ This. You need to set ID to all '1's. Without it I could fly for only 2 seconds before my FlySky bird would fall out of the sky.

More
23 Oct 2013 20:41 #14909 by Angry_Monk
Replied by Angry_Monk on topic Syma X1 Module Install & Binding Issue
I got it working. I tried all the suggestions but the thing that really did it was switching the MOSI/MISO wires (again). Apparently I was correct the first time. I'm not sure why the Devo did that weird resetting thing with the black screen and the beep initially. It might have been an issue with the Tx.ini file because when I first opened it both potential module types were enabled with the A7105 on A13 and the other on A14. When I went to check it again today both were disabled. I then re-enabled the A7105 module on A13. My model ID was set to all '1's.

So, in summary (for future people trying to do this):

-You can put the syma x1 Tx module in the Devo and use it under the FlySky protocol.

-Pins are as follows for this module: ENABLE (SCS), CLOCK (SCK), MOSI, MISO, Vdd (+), and GRD. This is going from left to right if the chip is viewed from the top, with the A7105 visible, and the pins on the bottom.

-Model ID must be all '1's (as far as I know)

-If the module is properly enabled you will see a 'bind' button next to the model ID instead of a 're-init' button.

I thank everyone for their help!

More
25 Jan 2014 22:07 #19110 by hexfet
Thanks for posting this! It was very helpful. Here's your pic with the pins labeled for future readers.

Did the antenna mod increase your range? My syma module has a via between the cap and antenna, so I wouldn't even need to do the tombstoning - just cut off the pcb antenna.

Attachments:

More
07 Mar 2014 23:03 #21365 by hexfet
The MISO pin should be left un-connected when using this module. With Deviation the interface to A7105 is 3-wire SPI.

More
04 Apr 2016 01:08 #45750 by taetcheson
Replied by taetcheson on topic Syma X1 Module Install & Binding Issue (solved)
I, too, have been unable to bind to my Syma X1 using my Devo 7e.

I harvested the A7105 module from my Syma X1 controller and installed it into my Devo using the above instructions. It works with my Hubsan Nano Q4, which requires the same radio, so I the module is installed and functional. I have set the model to "1111." (I have also tried "111111" since Angry_Monk said it must be "all '1's," and technically "1111" uses only 4 of the 6 available digits). Nothing happens when I press the "Bind" button; the red LED on the quad continues to blink at a medium rate.

Any ideas? I can't find much information on these forums on this quad. :(

Time to create page: 0.050 seconds