Devo 7E USBHID and trim buttons

More
11 May 2014 07:54 - 11 May 2014 08:30 #23135 by tstivers
Devo 7E USBHID and trim buttons was created by tstivers
So this is probably well outside of the intended scenario for using USBHID mode. Nonetheless it's what I'm doing, and if it's possible to do what I'd like, it would be awesome.

So I got ahold of an rc simulator and of course use my Devo 7E as the controller for that.

I also play flight simulators (Microsoft Flight Simulator X). As it turns out an RC transmitter is perfect for this (aside from a normal joystick or yoke/pedal/throttle quadrant set) so I got the Devo 7E working with that as well, quite easily. There is only one issue, and one feature I'd like to get working if possible.

The issue, is I can't get the switches to work as anything but an axis. Maybe I'm just doing it wrong, but the only way I found to get the switches working is by assigning them to a mixer channel (simple) with a value of 100 for on, and -100 for off. However in flight sims this unfortunately doesn't quite work as intended. The software sees it as an axis rather than a switch. I can probably get it configured via third party software if I really work at it, so this isn't really a big deal.

The feature I'd like to get working though would do amazing things. In conventional aircraft you have elevator, aileron, and rudder trim. You also have flaps. Currently there's no way for me to control this from the transmitter. However it is possible to control this in a very simple way. The trim buttons aren't used when in USBHID mode, because there's no need for trim. So the logical solution here is to send the buttons to the software as just that, buttons. IE: I press the elevator trim increase button, and it increases elevator trim. I press the aileron trim decrease button, and it decreases elevator trim. This would allow control of all 3 trims in a conventional aircraft. It also leaves one set of trim buttons un-used, but that's ok because I have a perfect use for them. Flaps are another commonly controlled surface that would be nice to be able to control from the transmitter. So the other set of buttons (to the right of the throttle stick, naturally) could be used to increase/decrease flaps.

So is it possible to have the buttons available as controller buttons in USBHID mode? Is there a custom build of the firmware already available that allows this or would it require modifying the source code myself? I'm not familiar with the source, don't even know what language it's in. I'm not that good at programming so it's probably beyond my abilities. I'd be willing to take a stab at it though if someone can point me in the right direction/help.

Thanks to the devs for an amazing firmware by the way. It's truly an awesome creation.

I did figure out that I can assign the trim buttons to a channel via the trims page. This works out fine for elevator trim and flaps. FSX doesn't have axis assignments for the rudder and aileron trims however, so this won't work for those. Setting them as buttons in the controller driver would be ideal, because then I can assign every button properly (and it also makes configuration a tiny bit easier).
Last edit: 11 May 2014 08:30 by tstivers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2014 16:01 #23142 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo 7E USBHID and trim buttons
I just spent a bit of time implementing digital inputs.

The way it works is that channels 1-8 are analog, and 9-12 are digital. that gives you a maximum of 4 buttons. Hopefully that will be sufficient.

The nightly builds are updated with this change.

More
11 May 2014 16:05 #23143 by tstivers
Replied by tstivers on topic Devo 7E USBHID and trim buttons
That's awesome! I noticed I can't seem to use more than 8 channels with the Devo 7E in USBHID mode. I'm not sure if you've changed that with this update or not.

Also this would work for my situation, because I can use two of the trims as axis. The other two would = 4 buttons total, so I would be able to use them as well for the aileron and rudder trims. Ideally though 8 buttons would be available, two for each trim. But I'm not complaining.

Time to create page: 0.032 seconds