How can I test an NRF24L01 module?

More
04 Jan 2015 22:06 #27493 by robca
How can I test an NRF24L01 module? was created by robca
I'm modifying a Devo 7e for my nephews, as a surprise gift.

They have a V222 and a Hubsan X4, and I'm building a FPV250 with a Lemon Rx receiver.

So I added a A7105 module, a NRF24L01 module, increased Tx power by shorting the diode and added two 3-way switches. I successfully tested the switches, diode mod and the A7105 (I also have an X4, which works fine)

I do not have a V222 nor any micro-quad using any of the NRF24L01 protocols. I guess I could buy a Cheerson CX-10, but they come with a lot of different boards, only the red one is NRF24L01

I have another NRF24L01 module, though, and a lot of Arduinos... Can you think of a way to test the NRF20L01 in the Devo 7e with a NRF24L01 and an Arduino? I found bits and pieces of info, but before spending too much time I thought I'd ask... any idea on how I could test the NRF24L01 in the modified Devo 7e?

Ordinarily I wouldn't worry too much (I cheked the wiring twice), but I stupidly powered up the module (very briefly) without an antenna, and I know that the power stage can get damaged when the module is used without antenna (yeah, that was stupid :oops: )

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 May 2016 17:06 - 13 May 2016 17:58 #48360 by talos242
Replied by talos242 on topic How can I test an NRF24L01 module?
Did you get anywhere with this? I've installed one in my Devo 8s and now have a V977 but I can't get the TX to bind with the RX on the heli.

Incidentally I did try changing the pin identification in the .ini file from A13 to A14 and the TX tells me that the module is missing when I do so I know that it's being recognised.
Last edit: 13 May 2016 17:58 by talos242. Reason: sp

More
13 May 2016 17:49 - 13 May 2016 17:50 #48363 by Flightless Bird
Replied by Flightless Bird on topic How can I test an NRF24L01 module?

talos242 wrote: ...Indecently I did try changing the pin identification in the .ini file from A13 to A14 and the TX tells me that the module is missing when I do so I know that it's being recognised.

That would seem to indicate that at least the serial interface of the module is wired correctly and working. Whether or not the RF stage is functional or not is another matter... binding to an aircraft is probably the only simple test for that. Otherwise, you'll need some test equipment or some kind of Arduino kludge like the OP proposes.
Last edit: 13 May 2016 17:50 by Flightless Bird.

More
13 May 2016 18:03 #48365 by talos242
Thanks for that reply. It's good to know that I can confirm part of the installation was correct. The problem I'm having is the bind procedure on the TX is very short (less than a second) and I just can't get the V977 I have to bind to the TX.

I actually started a thread about this yesterday where I have copied my .ini files for clarity. I'm pretty new to this modding malarkey and only have a basic understanding of coding so feel a bit out of my depth when a problem crops up that isn't covered in the forums.

I have the Devo working beautifully with all my other (Walkera and DSMX) helis/quads so am a bit baffled as to what the bind procedure might be for this heli.

More
13 May 2016 18:13 - 13 May 2016 18:15 #48366 by Flightless Bird
Replied by Flightless Bird on topic How can I test an NRF24L01 module?

talos242 wrote: Thanks for that reply. It's good to know that I can confirm part of the installation was correct. The problem I'm having is the bind procedure on the TX is very short (less than a second) and I just can't get the V977 I have to bind to the TX.

I actually started a thread about this yesterday where I have copied my .ini files for clarity. I'm pretty new to this modding malarkey and only have a basic understanding of coding so feel a bit out of my depth when a problem crops up that isn't covered in the forums.

I have the Devo working beautifully with all my other (Walkera and DSMX) helis/quads so am a bit baffled as to what the bind procedure might be for this heli.

I'm really new to all this too... I did my first Deviation firmware install and module mod about a week ago. It can be frustrating trying to figure all this stuff out... but don't give up. Eventually you'll figure it out with some help from people here or trial and error. Hell... I had to go to some translated Russian webpage to figure out my Devo-10 nRF24L01 module wiring! :)

Other than that, I'm curious... does your Heli flight controller use a "Bind Plug" jumper? Some models need that to properly sync to a new transmitter.
Last edit: 13 May 2016 18:15 by Flightless Bird.

More
13 May 2016 19:23 #48372 by talos242
I can't seem to find anything that suggest that I might use a bind plug. The RX does have a spare socket but I'm reluctant to plug a bind plug in to it until I can confirm that's definitely what it's for ;) Knowing my luck it will blow it up. :woohoo:
Yesterday I flashed the TX with the new v5.0 firmware in an attempt to get it to bind and decided I needed to copy all the base files across too... so I happily cleared the memory so that there was enough space!!! Completely forgetting that all the model files and .ini files I had modified were not backed up!!! 15 models and hours of testing down the drain.

lol... live and learn hey?

Time to create page: 0.034 seconds