New Taranis

More
31 Jul 2015 14:56 - 31 Jul 2015 14:57 #36396 by Fernandez
New Taranis was created by Fernandez
Last edit: 31 Jul 2015 14:57 by Fernandez.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2015 16:39 #36398 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic New Taranis
Note that it's "Coming soon". The regular FrSky distributors apparently had them a few months ago, but Aloft hobbies (us distributor) is out of stock. They apparently vanish quickly.

I'm not sure about the tray format - I haven't seen such in person. But that it comes with holes for adding switches/knobs/etc. is interesting. Maybe it will drive the price on the X9D plus down.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
01 Aug 2015 00:01 #36413 by Zaphod
Replied by Zaphod on topic New Taranis
This is a questioned I've wondered for a little while now - what is it about the Taranis that makes it so popular? Can it run multiple protocols? Can it be modded? Or is there an advantage to running FrSky?

It seems to me that if you run a Taranis you'll be flying models with a FrSky RX but what is the advantage over say Spektrum?

More
01 Aug 2015 03:10 #36420 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic New Taranis
The Taranis running OpenTX is just as capable as Devo. im not sure if you can wire in all the individual modules like we do but it can accept the universal radio module so that's an option.

It also takes JR modules like spektrum and orangeLRS (UHF).

I doubt the tray radio will lower the price of the XD9 plus since they don't really compete with eachother. Maybe it'll put some more on the used market tho, I'd love to pick one up cheap (missed the $150 sale :()

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
01 Aug 2015 03:28 #36421 by Zaphod
Replied by Zaphod on topic New Taranis
Thanks. I just had a look thru opentx. I think I should get a Taranis!

More
01 Aug 2015 16:16 #36434 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic New Taranis
For Germans/EU people the benefit of the Taranis X9D would be
- valid declaration of conformity
- CE sign
- HF module compatible with new ETSI 1.8.1
- FrSky telemetry receivers with the built in HF module and built in antenna

So you are on the safe side that you will not get kicked from the field from the flight lead if you do not fly wild just because of missing KE/CE of running Spektrum DSMx 100mw output power or running 3 channel DEVO DSSS protocol >10mw.
Also you might not expect any problems with your insurance for a legal EU Taranis.

I do not like the idea that with a CC2500 module I would have to use an additional 2nd (outside) antenna with the Devo.

More
01 Aug 2015 18:47 #36444 by mwm
Why don't you think the X9D and X9E compete with each other? From looking at it, the X9E is basically an X9D in a tray, with a second display and holes for adding controls. Is there something I missed?

You can add modules to the Taranis, but they don't work as well as they do on deviation. it uses modules with MCU's on them, and they communicate via PPM. This means you can't set the protocol from the firmware, but have to have it on the module. So the multimodule works, and is supported if you build deviation for the Taranis. But I don't believe you can add an NRF24L01 to it and use all the protocols, even if you use deviation. Personally, I'd probably go with the version of the multimodule that plugs into the DYI port, if not a commercial DSM module.

If the goal is to fly lots of RTF/BNF aircraft, deviation is probably a better choice. If you want to fly ARF, PNP or kits, then all those protocols doesn't really buy you very much. And OpenTx gives you at least two features I'd like to have in deviation: audio alerts and flight modes. If I were going to upgrade from my 10 (but I'm not), I'd be hard pressed to pick a Devo 12s over an X9 of some kind. Nuts, if the X9D had been out a quarter earlier, I might well have bought it instead of my 10. But It won't replace my 6S any time soon.

More
01 Aug 2015 19:16 #36446 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic New Taranis
personally do not like so much use of ppm, I think this is a standard coming from the past, non 2.4ghz radios.

All should be direct digital, pots directly into ADC, signal digitally send over the 2.4ghz link. no more PPM coding / decoding in between.Lowest latency and jitter.

More
11 Aug 2015 20:33 #36807 by mwm
I'm curious about the "tray" configuration. Would this Joysway Tx be considered such? Well, a simple, non-computerized version of such?

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds