Possible brown outs ?

More
08 Mar 2016 20:14 #44277 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Possible brown outs ?
How long ago have you had contact with PB?

May be it make sense to have a release from team repo, the wait for PB is indeterminate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Mar 2016 23:23 #44294 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic Possible brown outs ?
It sounds like you have the means to hide or dissuade users from accessing the current release. And to create a new release that will reduce confusion and serve everyone better. Call it something else if desired, release candidate, etc., but make it clear it's the current best starting place.

Add another tier to the process. Create something that roughly approximates a release. With the focus on stability and careful bug fixes. A shippable end product. Not new features.

More
09 Mar 2016 05:39 #44307 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Possible brown outs ?

victzh wrote: How long ago have you had contact with PB?

I can contact him, and he usually replies within a few days, but he is quite tied up with other projects, so probably won't make a full release: make documentation, release notes, edit versions, build, commit, upload, make pages, edit news etc...
If we can prepare these, he might do it, or even I can try, but I rather not write documentation with my english...

@MWM
I would like to hear your opinion too about this!

More
09 Mar 2016 11:52 - 09 Mar 2016 12:16 #44320 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Possible brown outs ?
I updated above "Release candidates" block with links to 3 found recently release discussion threads: www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...-outs?start=20#44216

Please let's split / move upcoming basic release / handling / branch fixing / branch parallel (well-tested) development discussions (beyond the already answered technical issue) to one of the existing release threads or open a new thread.
This "Brown-out thread" feels to be the wrong thread for that....e.g future archive search?!

Thomas
Last edit: 09 Mar 2016 12:16 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
09 Mar 2016 15:11 #44330 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Possible brown outs ?
The current online documentation is in better shape than the PDF that documents 4.0.1. I believe we were ready for a release last summer - the docs were up to date, all major bugs in the bug tracker had been dealt with, etc. The documentation is also more complete, as the process of moving to the current source format and updating it got some of the ini formats that aren't accessible from the Tx documented.

As noted, there haven't been a lot of new features actually committed since then - mostly it's been bug fixes and new protocols, and the authors of protocols have been good about updating the manual for those. We need to audit the manual and make sure that nothing new is missing (there's lots of stuff missing, but it was missing in the 4.0.1 release, so acceptable), as well as check for major bugs.

I think this should be dubbed 4.1, not 4.0.X. If it's a release candidate, then someone ought to backport the DSM fixes as suggested by Thomas to the 4.0 branch as 4.0.2, without removing the warning. If it's a release, then maybe not.

If we can get some input from PB, then it would be really nice to have documentation on his release process, so we could follow that. Similarly, knowing what the nightly build process is would help, even more so if we had access to the compilation results if the build failed.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
19 Apr 2016 10:56 #46793 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Possible brown outs ?
Summary RLS testing / release candidates / short term suggestions: www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...-outs?start=20#44216

For the archives and forum searching:
I added several DSMx questions about latest changes to the "DSM telemetry support thread":
www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...port?start=400#46358

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds