ETSI 300 328 1.9.1 - DEVO TX / hf-module locking?

More
29 Feb 2016 11:22 - 29 Feb 2016 12:46 #43873 by Thomas.Heiss
This is the the Frsky update thread on RCN (German) with comments about HF module lock and newer ETSI 300 328 1.9.1 compliance by FrSky dealer / distributor EngelMT:
www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/5...=3945832#post3945832

Regarding the new ETSI standard I was searching and found articles that for wireless routers vendors like TP-Link are already going to LOCK their WLAN router?!

I am sure that I am late on this fact and you all (international) already know...
What new standard is this named?
Is this something different or this newer ETSI?

So WLAN routers can not be flashed anymore with different firmware like OpenWRT, DD-WRT, etc. Too bad...
This is because new law prohibits end-users changing frequencies, output power, etc.
Vendors don't lock just this software/module part but instead lock the whole router (easier for them).

Probably after fast reading the RCN "FrSky update" thread I should really read the ETSI 1.9.1 spec and try to understand what an EU-citizen (as me) has to expect from Walkera as a vendor and possible firmware locks and DeviationTX firmware compliance???

For me it is one thing to have the option for Non-ETSI compliant protocols like DSM2 (2 channel DSSS), DEVO (3 channel DSSS) >10mw or trying to be at least ETSI EU-compliant and fly with e.g DSMx (FHSS)...and more regulations (FrSky LBT, etc).

AFAIK it was in DE still like a grey-zone if DeviationTX was CE compliant (if the sender may be CE) or you would loose insurance by just flashing it?!?
But getting it black and white that you can not / are not allowed to modify a Devo transmitter and flash different firmware for protocol manipulation might be another law thing...

From FrSky EU protocol thread: www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...lity?start=520#43855

mwm wrote: Are you saying the current EU versions of the Taranis and the upcoming Horus can't be flashed with new versions of OpenTx? Wow, that really does suck.

The internal Taranis HF-module FIRMWARE can't be flashed (locked) anymore by end-user according to RCN thread / EngelMT distributor.
This is the the FRSky update thread on RCN (German) with comments about HF module lock and newer ETSI 300 328 1.9.1 compliance by EngelMT:
www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/5...=3945832#post3945832

OpenTX is the software which has AFAIK no direct control (protocol implementation) over the HF module.
Their HF module has the logic / firmware loaded. OpenTX does not directly implement FrSky D16 EU LBT, isn't it?

As I understand it only OpenTX software can be flashed anymore to newer transmitters (I don't own Taranis).
Taranis has a different concept as DeviationTX and Devo senders (direct HF chip / protocol implementation / control).

Not sure how SERIAL connection works on Taranis e.g with Spektrum Dx4e/Dx5e HF module...
Well, doesn't Spektrum have their own DSMx firmware loaded on the HF module?

Graupner MX20 e.g is compatible with Spektrum DSM by connecting a Spektrum HF module.
Didn't they implement natively / internally DSM2/DSMx?

Who has as a developer maybe more in-depth information and may have already read and understand the spec better?
- comparing this WLAN thing to newer ETSI
- for transmitters
- HF-modules
- Walkera future actions to be expected:
* for any locking of the CYRF HF module / chip
* obligation to lock DEVO transmitters in future against flashing with 3rd party firmware
* loosing CE / declaration of confirmation if you directly implement protocols and control HF modules within the transmitter software

Thomas
Last edit: 29 Feb 2016 12:46 by Thomas.Heiss.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.030 seconds