12s

More
24 Mar 2016 23:46 #45127 by westy
12s was created by westy
Hi guys have just bought my 12s for planes so far it seems realy good. Hope you can help if i wish to update to deviation can i get all that i need from this site such as the dfu tool and will it work with windows 10.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Mar 2016 06:06 - 25 Mar 2016 17:17 #45143 by Arnold
Replied by Arnold on topic 12s
Westy, I noticed that you requested this info previously and got a reply suggesting to use the Walkera DFuse installation software. Having gone thru this exercise myself recently, I recommend a different approach. It worked well for me.

The newly revised manual for the Devo 6/8/12 (see it in the sidebar) mentions 2 ways of installing Deviation.
1. Use the Walkera installation software.
2. Use the Deviation Java installer.

I suggest going with number 2, the Java installer, because it seems to be less troublesome than the Walkera method. Using the Java installer, you can easily install any version of Deviation, forward or backward, or return to the original Walkera firmware and file system if you wish. Installation uses the Firmware Zip file that you download without needing to unpack it. The Java installer takes care of unpacking and putting everything it the appropriate location on the radio.

Step-by-step downloads:
- Click on "Downloads" in the sidebar on the left side of the Main Menu page.
- Download to a location where you can find it, a version of your choice from the "Deviation Releases" section. I recommend using the newest "Nightly Build", since it has the most up-to-date information with the newest protocols.
- Click on "DFU USB Tool" from the "Downloads" page.
- Click on "DFU USBDrv Installer 1.1.zip" to download Windows driver software to recognize the USB port of the Devo radio (if needed).
- Click on "Deviation Uploader-0.8.0.jar." to download the Java software used for installing Deviation.
- Go to the Oracle website to download the Java Runtime Environment for your PC if you don't already have a it installed. It is needed in order to run the Java installer. For Win 10, I think you'll find it here (sorry, lots to read):
docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/...ows_jre_install.html
- While you're in the mood for a lot of reading, find the Manual for the Devo 6/8/12 radios in the sidebar also. It is being regularly updated, so, perhaps best to just read it online rather than downloading it.
- From the sidebar "Links" page, you can find sources for the original Walkera installation files for your 12S, if you decide to fall back or start over.

Step-by-step Installing Deviation on the Devo 12S:
- Ensure that your Devo 12S is fully charged before beginning. Interrupting this process will lead to tears.
- Run the Deviation Uploader-0.8.0 on your Windows PC
- Connect your Devo 12S to your PC with the USB cable that came with the Devo.
- On the radio, turn on the power switch while holding the "Trainer" switch on the top-right-rear shoulder of the radio. (This is different from all other Devo radios, which use the EXT button instead.)
The "Program Update" screen will be displayed on the radio and it is ready to receive an update.
- If Windows prompts you for driver software, take the necessary steps to satisfy that request, I'd start with the "DFU USBDrv Installer" that you downloaded earlier.
- On your PC, look at the "Transmitter" field at the top of the Uploader program that's running. "Devo 12" should appear there shortly after turning on the transmitter.
- Look for the series of tabs marked "Install/Upgrade | DFU | File Manager | Bin-Send" and see that "Install/Upgrade" is highlighted.
- Next to the "Firmware" field, click on the "..."button to browse for the Zip file for the Deviation firmware you are going to install and select it. The path and filename will appear in the "Firmware" field. You will also see that the fields for Firmware and Library Version and Size now contain information. Also, a number of item boxes have been checked in the program window to set up the installation. You're good to go!
- Click on the "Install/Upgrade" button at the bottom of the program window and wait while the installation takes place. You'll see the progress bar at the bottom of the window and then a dialog box will notify you when the installation is complete. Be patient.
- Job done. Unplug the USB cable and turn off the transmitter. When you turn it on again, you'll be greeted with the Deviation splash screen and your adventure can begin. B)

Too many hobbies & too many Devos!
Who knows where the time goes?
Last edit: 25 Mar 2016 17:17 by Arnold.

More
25 Mar 2016 16:03 #45158 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic 12s
Nice tutorial -- great to see it for the 12s. Maybe this could be linked from the tutorials?

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
25 Mar 2016 17:29 #45167 by Arnold
Deal57, thanks for the nudge. :)
I posted a link in that thread.

More
25 Mar 2016 19:24 #45177 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic 12s
Any chance it could be edited into a form suitable for inclusion in the manual?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
25 Mar 2016 19:37 - 25 Mar 2016 19:38 #45179 by Arnold
Probably - what file type would be useful?
And, is that something I can do - edit the manual?

Last edit: 25 Mar 2016 19:38 by Arnold.

More
25 Mar 2016 21:49 #45192 by westy
Replied by westy on topic 12s
Thanks you for all the help.

More
25 Mar 2016 23:47 #45196 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic 12s
The manual format is restructured text. Sources are in the mercurial repository at bitbucket.org/deviationtx/deviation-manual-rst . Since RST is a markup language, the standard way would be to clone the repository on bitbucket, edit the text there, and then create a pull request from your clone back to the source. It changes slowly enough that uploading an edited copy of that chapter shouldn't be a problem.

Looking at it, I'm not sure we need step-by-step instructions for download. The step-by-step instructions for installation ought to be tweaked to be for all transmitters with the differences for the 12S (and F12E?) noted. Seems minimal, though.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
26 Mar 2016 18:51 - 26 Mar 2016 20:30 #45239 by Arnold
OK, working on it. Unfamiliar territory, so I'm on the learning curve. No problem changing the guideline with regard to all Devos, etc.
Thanks for pointing the way.

mwm wrote: The manual format is restructured text. Sources are in the mercurial repository at bitbucket.org/deviationtx/deviation-manual-rst . Since RST is a markup language, the standard way would be to clone the repository on bitbucket, edit the text there, and then create a pull request from your clone back to the source. It changes slowly enough that uploading an edited copy of that chapter shouldn't be a problem.

Looking at it, I'm not sure we need step-by-step instructions for download. The step-by-step instructions for installation ought to be tweaked to be for all transmitters with the differences for the 12S (and F12E?) noted. Seems minimal, though.

Last edit: 26 Mar 2016 20:30 by Arnold.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds