DEVO 7E

More
17 Oct 2012 01:39 #2294 by harmony96
DEVO 7E was created by harmony96
I already have a turnigy radio with 10 receivers.
Now I'm looking for micro CP helicopter, but there is no cp heli that be bound with the turnigy radio.

So I want to buy walkera mini cp with walkera radio.
If deviationTx fully supports turnigy receivers, I'll buy devo 10 or 8S and sell the current turnigy radio.
But PhracturedBlue reported that it has a range problem.

Now I'm considering to buy Devo 7E.
I know that DeviationTX does not support Devo 7E, but I believe that DeviationTX will support it someday.

To my knowledge, if DeviationTX will support DEVO 7E someday, differences between devo 10 and 7E are size, battery type, and the number of switches.
How about range? Are there other differences between them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2012 03:03 #2295 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic DEVO 7E
The 7E uses an onboard transmitter module, so upgrade capabilities may be more limited. The 7e is also limited in features (control inpus). I believe the range should be the same as the rest of the Devo family.
With good progress on the Devo10 that suvsuv has made, I may try to do a proof of concept of the Devo7e next week

More
19 Nov 2012 00:20 #2986 by harmony96
Replied by harmony96 on topic DEVO 7E
The devo 7E has only two switches, which is too small for advanced flyers.

How about this idea?

6 buttons are used for the additional switches.
While left-top switch is for throttle cut,
right-top switch is used to indicate "button mode".

When the button mode is off, six buttons work normally.
When the button mode is on, six buttons works like switches.

For example, if I first push a button, it changes flight mode 1-->2 with beep-beep.
If I push it again, it changes the mode from 2 --> 3 with beep-beep-beep.
If I push it again, it changes the mode from 3-->1 with beep.

Another switch can be used for DR, Gear, and etc.

Although the size of Devo 7E is small, it is equipped with ARM 32-bit cortex.
I have no idea how much memory it has, but it seems that the memory size is not small.
So if above feature can be implementable, I believe that the 7E becomes very economic and powerful solutions.

More
19 Nov 2012 01:38 #2987 by PhracturedBlue
There are 2 things stopping me from suppoting the Devo7e:
1) There is no firmware released for it from Walkera. That means you couldn't go back to the official firmware, but it also means that the current DFuSe tool does't actually support the 7e, so there is no tool to do the upgrade today. That wouldn't be a problem for me, since I could flash the bootloader, but most people wouldn't want to do that.
2) I don't have one yet. I will resolve that as soon as (1) is available.

More
19 Nov 2012 05:21 #2988 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic DEVO 7E
Actually the v1.5 DfuSe tool supports the 7E:

Remarks:1.Adding Support for DEVO-7E program update
2.Can be used to WIN XP/WIN7

More
19 Nov 2012 05:30 #2989 by PhracturedBlue

FDR wrote: Actually the v1.5 DfuSe tool supports the 7E:

Remarks:1.Adding Support for DEVO-7E program update
2.Can be used to WIN XP/WIN7

Cool. I didn't know that. I'm still running 1.4
I don't really want to just buy the Tx, so once I can find a good package deal on the Tx+model (maybe an infra or scorpion) I'll pick one up. For me, losing the ability to go back to the stock firmware isn't really a problem.

More
19 Nov 2012 05:35 #2990 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic DEVO 7E
I think it's not a problem. You can first 'Upload' original firmware to your computer.

More
19 Nov 2012 05:38 #2991 by FDR
No you can't, because it is protected.
You will get a file full of 0xFF...

More
28 Nov 2012 16:57 #3363 by dehalo
Replied by dehalo on topic DEVO 7E
Does the Deviation version 2.0.0 for DEVO 10 have a chance to work on a Devo 7E??

More
28 Nov 2012 21:10 #3376 by PhracturedBlue
The main problem is that the MCU on the 7e has much less available memory than on the Devo10. So at the moment, it won't fit in the available memory. I can think of some ways to resolve that though. At the moment, I'm waiting for Walkera to release a firmware for the 7e. Without that, there will be no way to go back to stock, which probably limits the value of doing the necessary coding.

More
28 Nov 2012 21:45 #3378 by quique65
Replied by quique65 on topic DEVO 7E

PhracturedBlue wrote: The main problem is that the MCU on the 7e has much less available memory than on the Devo10. So at the moment, it won't fit in the available memory. I can think of some ways to resolve that though. At the moment, I'm waiting for Walkera to release a firmware for the 7e. Without that, there will be no way to go back to stock, which probably limits the value of doing the necessary coding.

Hello,
as a owner of DEVO 7E, I've just sent an email to Walkera requesting the firmware. Waiting their answer.

More
28 Nov 2012 21:47 #3379 by FDR

quique65 wrote: Hello,
as a owner of DEVO 7E, I've just sent an email to Walkera requesting the firmware. Waiting their answer.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Now that was good! ;)

More
29 Nov 2012 14:45 - 29 Nov 2012 14:48 #3414 by harmony96

PhracturedBlue wrote: The main problem is that the MCU on the 7e has much less available memory than on the Devo10.

I briefly checked data sheet for STM32F103RBT6 and STM32F103VCT6, in order to clearly understand the status.

The size of memory for STM32F103RBT6 (for the 7e)is 64k bytes or 128 kbytes, but STM32F103VCT6 (for the 10) is with 256k bytes or 512k bytes.
But devo 7e and 10 have the same SPI Flash whose size is 16Mbits.
I could not fully understand the purpose of each memory.

I do not know the architecture of deviation program...
My guess is that memory in MCU is used to store the program and SPI Flash is used to save model data and library files such as languages and fonts.
So, in order to develop the firmware for the 7e, you need to optimize the size of binary code to fit the small size of the 7e's memory .
Am I right?

or SRAM size issue????
Last edit: 29 Nov 2012 14:48 by harmony96.

More
29 Nov 2012 16:07 - 29 Nov 2012 16:09 #3423 by dehalo
Replied by dehalo on topic DEVO 7E

PhracturedBlue wrote: The main problem is that the MCU on the 7e has much less available memory than on the Devo10. So at the moment, it won't fit in the available memory. I can think of some ways to resolve that though. At the moment, I'm waiting for Walkera to release a firmware for the 7e. Without that, there will be no way to go back to stock, which probably limits the value of doing the necessary coding.

I'd gladly "risk" my Devo 7E even without the option to go back to stock FW.
It would just be too cool to fly all my Walkera and NineEagles helis with the 7E.
Last edit: 29 Nov 2012 16:09 by dehalo. Reason: insert quote

More
29 Nov 2012 16:41 #3424 by PhracturedBlue
The Devo10 has 256kB of ROM and 48kB of RAM.
The Devo7e has 128kB of ROM and 20kB of RAM.
We use about 150kB of ROM and 30kB of RAM in Deviation at the moment.

the SPI is irrelevant. We cannot store code in it, so it has little to do with porting Deviation.

More
29 Nov 2012 18:39 #3431 by magiceddi
Replied by magiceddi on topic DEVO 7E
What about desoldering the CPU and replace with STM32F103VCT6. They have the same pinout so it should work.
Is it possible or do we need some magic from Walkera?

Like dehalo i wouldn't mind trying it if it's not too complicated because i bought 7E for only one reason: Burn deviation onto it.

More
29 Nov 2012 19:27 #3434 by PhracturedBlue

H. wrote: What about desoldering the CPU and replace with STM32F103VCT6. They have the same pinout so it should work.
Is it possible or do we need some magic from Walkera?

Like dehalo i wouldn't mind trying it if it's not too complicated because i bought 7E for only one reason: Burn deviation onto it.

I assume you mean the RCT6?
If the 7e has a RBT6, then it should have a LQFP64 package. The high-end part in that package would be a 103RCT6, 103RDT6, or 103RET6. If you have the ability to desolder an LQFP package and install a new one, then the rest shouldn't be too bad (most people do not have the necessary equipment to do that)

Basically:
a) install a new bootloader (probably the Devo10 bootloader, but we could use the stock ST one too)
b) figure out which Display chipset is used and see if we need something different there
c) figure out the pin mapping for the 7E I/O
You could use ISP for that, though it'd probably be easier to do with SWD.

More
30 Nov 2012 21:17 #3474 by magiceddi
Replied by magiceddi on topic DEVO 7E
some quick news:

- TX is CYRF6936 but has only 7 pins
- Display is a TG12864Z 128x64 dots but has also NT7538 controller
www.tronpok.com/uploads/12864Z.pdf

After only a quick inspection the wiring could be identical or at least very similar to Devo 10

If somebody has an idea where to get the bootloader i probably try to flash the Devo10 Version of deviation and see what happens...

More
03 Dec 2012 14:49 #3568 by harmony96

PhracturedBlue wrote: The main problem is that the MCU on the 7e has much less available memory than on the Devo10. So at the moment, it won't fit in the available memory. I can think of some ways to resolve that though.

PhracturedBlue wrote: The Devo10 has 256kB of ROM and 48kB of RAM.
The Devo7e has 128kB of ROM and 20kB of RAM.
We use about 150kB of ROM and 30kB of RAM in Deviation at the moment.

the SPI is irrelevant. We cannot store code in it, so it has little to do with porting Deviation.

You may already think how to reduce the size of rom and ram......

If I properly understand your code, 9kB of RAM is used for supporting multiple languages.
I know that supporting multiple languages is one of main and unique features in deviation.
However, it will be a good option for the 7e to support only English or make some limitation about the maximum characters that will be stored in a string variable of language.c.

More
03 Dec 2012 17:02 #3581 by PhracturedBlue
RAM is actually the easiest thing to reduce (and at least initially, removing language support would be where we'd start). Code size is more complicated. basically there is way too much code dedicated to drawing widgets in Deviation. Fixing that will be a challenge, but I think it is doable. We'll likely start by just removing access to some pages to get under the threshold to see what we can achieve. One place that we could easily save a lot is in the USB code. We duplicate a large amount of the standard library because I couldn't get the USB code to work reliably in libopencm3.

Anyhow, the way to start is to map out the I/O pins and to load a test firmware to test the inputs and display. From there, doing the port is straight-forward (except for the memory limitation). A CP2103 is really convenient to doing debug since you can then use the trainer port for printf debugging.

I broke down and ordered a Devo7e. We'll see when it gets here

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds