Devo7e work

More
26 Jan 2013 10:51 - 26 Jan 2013 11:25 #5540 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Devo7e work

vlad_vy wrote: Related to all Deviation
4) Every user complains about Tx low battery signal = short beep has place only once.

I created a pull request with code specifically addressing the battery warning, #34. Only for 10 and 7E though.

EDIT: I'll try to plug this code into 6&8 too.

LATER EDIT: added GUI for battery alarm on 6&8 too, but since I only have a 10 I can't test the changes on real TX.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 26 Jan 2013 11:25 by sbstnp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2013 09:18 #5561 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic Devo7e work

Lyndros wrote: Hi PB,

I have upgraded to the latest build,

- FMOD Switch right now is working properly.
- But it seems that still there must be a bug in the DSM2 protocol. I can not bind a MSR. Tried different configs in 7 and 6 channels without success.
Somebody here was able to bind DSM2 with the latest version?

Cheers,

Hi PB,
I got same problem with DSM2/DSMX binding.
I can't bind MSR/mCPX(DSM2) & nano CP X(DSM2/DSMX),but I can bind all helis with DEVO10.
I'll try to get AR6100.
Thanks

More
27 Jan 2013 13:36 #5570 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo7e work
As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm aware the Devo7e doesn't bind DSM2/DSMX reliably. The weird thing is once you get it to work, it seems to be very reliable. Make sure the power is at 150mW when binding by the way.
My initial guess, without having looked at it yet is that the binding code resets the power output. Since there is no power-amp, this is a bad idea. try placing the tx right next to the Rx and see it if helps.

More
27 Jan 2013 14:39 #5571 by RW9UAO
Replied by RW9UAO on topic Devo7e work
may be need some #ifdef when writing CYRF_03_TX_CFG register? to check devo7E, and set power to maximum every tiime?

More
27 Jan 2013 14:46 #5572 by PhracturedBlue
Eventually I will add module configuration capabilities. this will let you enable available modules (like the A7105 and CC2500) as well as defining whether or not they have a pre-amp, which will automatically configure all of this. For the mean-time, the answer is probably to make sure we always use the user-selected power output.

More
28 Jan 2013 00:32 - 28 Jan 2013 00:32 #5595 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic Devo7e work

PhracturedBlue wrote: As I mentioned elsewhere, I'm aware the Devo7e doesn't bind DSM2/DSMX reliably. The weird thing is once you get it to work, it seems to be very reliable. Make sure the power is at 150mW when binding by the way.
My initial guess, without having looked at it yet is that the binding code resets the power output. Since there is no power-amp, this is a bad idea. try placing the tx right next to the Rx and see it if helps.

I followed your instruction and the result : (all test @ 150mw setting)
TX & RX distance < 20cm , AR8000 & AR6200 & AR6100e can bind very well(100% OK),if distance > 30cm ,it almost can't bind; MSR is more difficult to bind with 7E, I tried for few times(distance < 10cm) and it's finally OK.
mCPX & nano CP X are not tested yet.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2013 00:32 by dc59.

More
28 Jan 2013 00:38 #5596 by coreire
Replied by coreire on topic Devo7e work

PhracturedBlue wrote: Probably yes. That picture is deceiving though. Those are really small parts. I probably wouldn't want to do anything without magnification. Also, getting the shield off was more work than I expected armed with my 150W gun and a solder-sucker and solder-wick, I still had trouble cleaning the pads enough to get the cover off. My gun is old and was being quite finicky, so that may be part of it.

I'm planning to take the diode off and replace with a shunt to see what happens, but no need to do that right at the moment.

Also note that there are all sorts of impedance matching issues to take into account. It is actually possible that shorting the diode will actually make reception worse. I'm assuming that won't be an issue though, since they use the same antenna for Rx

Stumbled across your project when I was looking for a better transmitter for my V911.
I was going to get a turnigy 9x, but then I saw the work you've been doing on the Devo's and it looks great!
It looks like the 7E would be a good cheap transmitter if it wasn't for the transmit power being so low. I'm thinking of picking up a Walkera super cp and Devo 7E bundle, and I'd like to be able use the transmitter on bigger heli's/planes etc.

Have you had a chance to try a shunt in place of the diode to see if everything works as it should?

More
28 Jan 2013 02:00 - 28 Jan 2013 02:02 #5599 by Xermalk
Replied by Xermalk on topic Devo7e work

coreire wrote: and I'd like to be able use the transmitter on bigger heli's/planes etc.

I would strongly recommend you just go for a devo 10 from the start.
Iv had my 7E for a while now and im at the point where i go "I wish i went for a devo 10 instead", every time i fly something larger then my mini cp & v911.
Aka ever time im flying outside.

The 7E isnt a bad tx, just walkera cut a little to many corners to keep the price down.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2013 02:02 by Xermalk.

More
29 Jan 2013 15:22 - 29 Jan 2013 15:23 #5724 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Devo7e work
Hi PB

Unboxed my Dev07e yesterday, what is our latest build for the Devo7e?
I can build from any repository, so I am not limited to the formal releases.

I specifically want to work on the RF power and telemetry side (V120D02s will be the RX platform) I have a RF module from the Devo8 which I can take apart to comparing or perhaps as was suggested earlier to replace the 7e module completely.

The A7105 module should be here by then, will be my next integration.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2013 15:23 by RandMental.

More
29 Jan 2013 15:50 #5725 by Xermalk

RandMental wrote: Hi PB

Unboxed my Dev07e yesterday, what is our latest build for the Devo7e?
I can build from any repository, so I am not limited to the formal releases.

I specifically want to work on the RF power and telemetry side (V120D02s will be the RX platform) I have a RF module from the Devo8 which I can take apart to comparing or perhaps as was suggested earlier to replace the 7e module completely.

The A7105 module should be here by then, will be my next integration.

You can always build the latest version from here, bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation

More
29 Jan 2013 18:34 #5733 by PhracturedBlue
All devo7e work is checked into the main branch, and it is where all future development will be done.

More
29 Jan 2013 19:42 #5741 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Devo7e work
With the separate Devo7e (deviation7e ) repository on Bitbucket I was no sure if the main branch have been updated yet.

Does one knows when we can expect a Walkera Devo 7e firmware release?
Must admit I am a bit worried this being a one way street....

More
29 Jan 2013 19:57 #5742 by PhracturedBlue
I've closed that repo now. it was just temporary while I worked on development.

Now that I'm just about done with the Devo12 port, the next 'n' weeks will be spent fixing bugs, then there will be a release. I have no idea what 'n' is. it depends mostly on how many people test and how many bugs we find.

More
29 Jan 2013 22:05 #5749 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Devo7e work

coreire wrote: It looks like the 7E would be a good cheap transmitter if it wasn't for the transmit power being so low. I'm thinking of picking up a Walkera super cp and Devo 7E bundle, and I'd like to be able use the transmitter on bigger heli's/planes etc.

Personally I say go for the bundle if you want a cheap TX, the devo 10 adds another $80 to the price of other bundles so to me that isn't justifiable as "cheap".

I don't know about the "low power/range", since my combo arrived a few says ago it has been near-cyclonic conditions here so haven't done my own tests; clear and so far still conditions today, so will try to do a bit of a test (super CP only at the moment). But other threads indicated the power should be fine for a range of about 150m; I don't know about anyone else, but flying a 450 at 150m sounds ill-advised, unless you are using FPV.

Then there's the question of a module replacement, or as you say, hardware hack. The hardware hack is an unknown at the moment, it may "break free" the installed module, or maybe it'll actually make it worse; will need someone with proper test equipment to find that out. On the other hand, the devo 8s module can be had for sub $15 shipped, apparently not a direct swap but similar installation to the A7105 etc., but should have higher power (can't find a figure at the moment)

There's lots of ways you could reskin this cat, and with deviation they are only going to get more numerous.

PB, on a different track, I've been tring to find an answer on whether the stock hardware is (or could be) compatible with the old Nine Eagles helis/planes, like the Solo Pro (260a); I pulled apart the TX yesterday and it uses the nRF24L01, which appears from a few scattered threads to be theoretically compatible if a protocol can be figured out?
I like having a little FP heli handy, would prefer to keep the Solo Pro rather than get a new V911 and add the A7105 module, if it's at all possible.
Oh, and for some unknown reason NE decided to make differences between their heli and plane TX at the time (protocol tweak?), so would be brilliant if both could be supported. :)

PS. I was wrong about the holes for LEDs for the "V", but a quick drill to the middle of the black supporting board should do the trick. LCD backlight LED appears to be pins 17 and 18 of the LCD, so could tap power from there, but the V would only light up when your backlight is on.

As with Rand, I think I'll hold off until the official firmware is released/leaked, so I can revert if I really screw something up. But have some OrangeRX R615's on the way, so will be itching to make the jump!

More
30 Jan 2013 03:00 - 30 Jan 2013 03:01 #5755 by coreire
Replied by coreire on topic Devo7e work

Xermalk wrote:
I would strongly recommend you just go for a devo 10 from the start.
Iv had my 7E for a while now and im at the point where i go "I wish i went for a devo 10 instead", every time i fly something larger then my mini cp & v911.
Aka ever time im flying outside.

The 7E isnt a bad tx, just walkera cut a little to many corners to keep the price down.

Do you find any other "major" issues with the transmitter other than the range? Or is it generally good other than that?

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: Personally I say go for the bundle if you want a cheap TX, the devo 10 adds another $80 to the price of other bundles so to me that isn't justifiable as "cheap"

Ya, I noticed the same. Going for a Devo 10 brings up the cost quite a bit.
The price of a Devo 7E with a Super CP isn't far off the price of just a Devo 10, and I'm not sure if I'd ever really make proper use of the Devo 10.

RoGuE_StreaK wrote: On the other hand, the devo 8s module can be had for sub $15 shipped, apparently not a direct swap but similar installation to the A7105 etc., but should have higher power (can't find a figure at the moment)

Thanks for that, I didn't realise that the module was so cheap. At least thats a fallback option if the mod to the 7E's own module isn't possible.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2013 03:01 by coreire.

More
30 Jan 2013 04:57 #5757 by PhracturedBlue
While deviation will unleash thepower of the Devo7e and make it into a quite reaosnable system, I must concur that the devo10 is really a much nicer Tx.

I now have a 7, 7e, 10, 8, and 12. The 12 is truly a great Tx and I think it is a great value for what you get, but is is likely very few people need so many control inputs.

The Devo8 is the 1st Tx I got, and I still really enjoy working with it. It is lighter than the 10, and has sufficient controls. I also really like the touch-screen for menu navigation even if the screen is unreadable in direct sunlight. The 10, is in my opinion the best bang for your buck. It has lots of inputs, and the screen is easily readable. For $150 I think it can't be beat, and will probably handle any model you're likely to want to fly. The 7e at < $70 initially looks like a great buy. Especially with Deviation (eventually) giving a lot more input control. But really it is barely more than a 4channel Tx. It is more than adequate for a 4ch Heli, but for 6ch, I think it is pretty limiting. We'll do the best we can to pull the mostout of it, but I think the 9x is a better choice for the money at this price point. Actually, even the Devo7 is a better Tx, though the LCD is absolutely atrocious.

However, having said all that, remember that I spend much more time programming than flying, and am a horrendous pilot with 6ch helis, so you should absolutely take my input with a huge dose of salt.

More
01 Feb 2013 21:48 #5892 by Xermalk
Just did a range test earlier today with the 7E and my master cp.
80 +-4 meters with no canopy, Im going to have to look into trying to remove the shield this weekend, and if that fails go for a 8s module.

More
01 Feb 2013 23:38 - 03 Feb 2013 20:18 #5897 by Mullson
Replied by Mullson on topic Devo7e work
I got to a hundred m (98.50):) with my super CP. At the trax of a local school.
How have you placed the A7105 inside the TX? Have you noticed the opening on the back of the TX? I wonder what it is for?
But my v911 loses signal at about 50-60.
I think this is amazing for a 30$ TX with all you can eat System.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2013 20:18 by Mullson.

More
03 Feb 2013 20:59 - 03 Feb 2013 21:23 #5975 by Xermalk
The 18m difference could simply be the angle of the tx, the weather conditions or the antenna on the master cp.

I made sure that the extra antena for the A7105 wasnt near the devo antenna.
Placed it so it goes from thold to fmod switch instead of going up the top.

Would changing the original antenna over to this one (5 dbi / angle H360/V32 °) improve the range?

If so ill grab the antenna and a sma extender.

If anything it would atleast allow me to angle the antenna correctly on the 7e.

Edit: and one could always add a windsurfer parabol to it, no point in the tx sending radio waves through/behind me.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2013 21:23 by Xermalk.

More
04 Feb 2013 16:07 #6003 by SadSack
Replied by SadSack on topic Devo7e work
Well &e finally got here :woohoo:
I even switch on and had look at menu..
Well installed Deviationtx and started configuring for genius cp have lots of Questions but shall read before i get there.
I've install deviation-devo7e-b76ac7445568 with (this I'm unsure about) deviation-fs-devo10-ea9ee2c4a03d is this right ?

Thanks,phil

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds