Deviation for Devo F4?

More
04 Apr 2016 08:41 #45767 by Epitaph
Replied by Epitaph on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
PB, on the F4, in original Devention mode, you either have menu or you have video feed, you can't have both at the same time. So when you exit the menu it goes into video feed, with only the battery voltage, model number and the trim settings on the bottom (in numeirc value from -100 to +100, no bars). As soon as you enter into the menu, the video feed cuts and you get the menu on a blue screen... maybe that's the limitation, that it can only do those things one at a time?

I got mine from a national pawn shop chain called Cash Converters, but it was brand new!! What was doing me in on Ebay was the shipping, even if it was from a European vendor, and I just happened across that offer, and took it, as it came with a year guarantee too (which is obviously void now hehehe)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2016 08:54 #45769 by Epitaph
Found this in case it's of any use, it's cheaper than you're saying and with free shipping, and it's brand new

Ebay

More
04 Apr 2016 09:06 #45770 by RoGuE_StreaK
Replied by RoGuE_StreaK on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
Hmmm, neither of those list shipping to Australia; they don't specifically say they don't ship here, but it's not an option available, hence why they don't come up in my searches. Weird, 'cause their other items do list shipping to Aus...

More
04 Apr 2016 09:13 #45771 by Epitaph
Why add Australia on their delivery time estimates at the end of the page then??

More
04 Apr 2016 09:15 #45772 by Epitaph
Try sending them a message, highlighting the fact that they have Australia specifically added on the small list of countries on their delivery time charts to verify if they ship... I mean, why add it if not?

More
06 Apr 2016 01:55 - 06 Apr 2016 16:12 #45888 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
Well, here is an update. I haven't started looking at the video problem, so there really shouldn't be any difference compared to the previous build as far as how it works, But there have been several filesystem changes. Note that this version is NOT compatible with old filesystems. Once you upload the new dfu you will need to replace the filesystem as well.

Here is the dfu (for both F4 and F7):
www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/catego...edblue-f4-f7-fakefat

You can install it using Walkera's Devention tool, or the DeviationUploader (here is an updated link which ismuch faster than previous version (but can't upload the filesystem):
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52854517/Dev...nUpload-0.8-F4F7.jar

Once installed, reboot transmitter (hold the ENT button if needed to enter USB mode). Then copy the included 'devo.fs' to the transmitter (you should see the file there already, just overwrite it with the included one.

You can also find buildfs.exe here:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52854517/buildfs.exe

You can use this to see the contents of the devo.fs file and to create a new one if changes are needed:
To extract:
buildfs.exe --fs <path to devo.fs> --dir <directory to write to> -x

To create a new devo.fs:
buildfs.exe --fs <path to new devo.fs> --dir <directory where devo.fs was previously extracted> -c

I was able to build a FUSE filesystem to access the devo.fs file, which works well on Linux. I ported it to Windows as well, but it isn't qorking properly yet, so I have more debugging to do there.
Last edit: 06 Apr 2016 16:12 by PhracturedBlue.

More
06 Apr 2016 11:26 #45909 by Epitaph
I've installed the new version you uploaded (with the Deviation flash program, as I still can't get my Dfuse program to recognise my transmitter for some strange reason, but no worries), and everything seems to be working fine (I didn't even try out the video seeing as you haven't done anything there), all the channels working on my Orange DSM2 6ch receiver fine.

One thing that is a little strange, although as far as I can see it doesn't affect the working of the transmitter in any way, is that on the bottom of the screen at the beginning I have the letters NE between the 2 horizontal trim bars

and the bars remain there all through the menu, with that strange NE in there

But if I enter a long scrolling menu, like the model setup menu (where you setup name, protocol, etc), the bottom trim bars are replaced with the menu, then when you go back it changes to print info on the bottom

It's nothing worrying at all, or affecting the functionality of the radio in any way, but just in case you wanted to clean out small bugs.

On a sidenote, I know I was going to test the PPM inputs to add switches that way with my Arduino, but unfortunately I can't find my Arduino :S , so until I find it I can't test it out!! I'll let you know how it goes if I find it!!

More
06 Apr 2016 11:34 #45910 by Epitaph
Another question, as you seem to have opted for keeping all the protocols from what i see, if there is someone that wants to use these protocols by adding modules, how are they to be activated? On the 7E for example, you just go into the USB drive and edit the file containing the info with a notepad application to add the module you have installed, but on this transmitter the USB drive only has the FS file and nothing more.

I mean, I'm happy with just the basic onboard module and more memories for models myself on this transmitter, but if they are going to be added anyway, then I might want to add the CC2500 module for the S-FHSS and FrSky protocols as those are the only ones I see logical to add on this particular transmitter (the FrSky protocol is a very sturdy one for example), and of course, the module would have to be activated I imagine, and told where it is soldered to

More
06 Apr 2016 13:20 #45916 by PhracturedBlue
the 'ne' is likely left over from the previous screen redraw. I'll take a look as I saw the same thing (mine was 'Ok' though).

I didn't keep all the protocols. Only devo and dsm2 are there. But I included the others in case you want a different set of them. The hardware mods are the same as any other Devo Tx, but as I said previously, you can only have 2 or 3 protocols on the tx at one time.

I tried to explain in my previous post, but to modify the INI files (or change the protocols) you :
1) use 'buildfs -x' to exract the filesystem from the transmitter to some directory.
2) add/remove protocols or change the ini files, or add models or whatever in the directory just created
3) use 'buildfs -c' to create a new devo.fs file
4) copy the new devo.fs file to your Tx

More
06 Apr 2016 14:37 - 06 Apr 2016 14:39 #45923 by Epitaph
OK, just I was looking in the protocols folder that came in the zip file and saw they were all there, and thought they were all put onto the transmitter. I'm fine with the Devo and DSM ones myself, that's the ladybird and others covered along with CPPM capable receivers too... perfect.

That what you're saying about the FS file I'm going to have to look into a bit later because it seems a little complicated at first... I'll get it eventually hehehehe

BTW, I notice you say DSM2... did DSMX not fit in with Devo and DSM2 at the same time?
Last edit: 06 Apr 2016 14:39 by Epitaph.

More
06 Apr 2016 15:28 #45925 by PhracturedBlue
the dsm2 and dsmx are treated as different protocols, so yes, I only supplied dsm2 and devo and NOT dsmx. you can change out the protocols using the instructions I provided though.

More
06 Apr 2016 15:39 #45926 by Epitaph
ahhh what a dilema... if only 2 fit on at the same time, but I want all 3, which one not to use!! heheeh

More
06 Apr 2016 15:45 #45928 by Epitaph
Is there a thread about BuildFS showing how to use it? I've tried it a number of ways with the instructions you give and can't get any results with it at all. I assume you can use it under the CMD window in Windows 7...

More
06 Apr 2016 15:50 #45929 by PhracturedBlue
you can fit a 3rd protocol if you don't want any more than 10 models (you could probably even fit a 4th depending on how complex the models are)

I just wrote the buildfs.exe script, so no there is no thread. what is the command you are running in theCMD prompt, and what is the error you are getting?

More
06 Apr 2016 15:58 #45931 by Epitaph
I put it into a folder in C: along with the FS file, and used the first of the commands you put down which is to "extract it", and was getting an error there, and nothing was actually happening... unless I got the syntax wrong...

More
06 Apr 2016 16:03 #45932 by Epitaph
I personally would probably get by with just 10 models just fine, as I won't have that many FPV models and for other things I have my 7E and my old MPX transmitter

More
06 Apr 2016 16:09 #45935 by PhracturedBlue
To be honest, I didn't test the code much on windows. I wrote and debugged it on linux, and compiled it into exe through Wine. So I need to look at it to see why it isn't working. I don't see anything wrong with what you've done, so it is probably a Windowsism that is breaking it

More
06 Apr 2016 16:12 #45937 by Epitaph
oh, ok... I was just wondering if it was me being stupid and getting it wrong hehehe

there's no rush PB, I mean, I'm not personally using that transmitter right now, I will once the video is sorted because it will be very nice to use a Deviated transmitter for FPV at such a low price, but for the time being, no rush :)

In the mean time, I need to find that Arduino Uno!!

More
06 Apr 2016 16:13 #45939 by Epitaph
ahh... one sec, I'll try it out... you only put 1 hyphen on the instructions!! :P

More
06 Apr 2016 16:14 #45940 by PhracturedBlue
I take that back. make sure you use '--dir' instead of '-dir' (two hyphens on 'dir' and 'fs', one hyphen on 'c' or 'x').
And make sure the directory you specify for --dir already exists

I also edited the typo in the instructions that caused you to do this. Sorry

Time to create page: 0.118 seconds