Devo 12s 3in1 / 4in1 RF module neat installation.

More
23 Apr 2016 17:33 #47063 by cmpang
Replied by cmpang on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
yes it is something around 200mA
datasheet given the TYPICAL maxinum current is 150mA. Experience has it that manufacturer always tend to be reservative. a 50% overdriven will not get into any trouble as long as the wattage lies within (in this case, keep the Vin - Vout low) the spec.

btw, ever since the first version, deviation never gives a correct (or even something close)battery voltage readout. So for every 7e in own, i have to build a voltmeter or indicator to ensure my 1S won't discharge too low.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2016 09:02 #47146 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Fully charged nimh are almost 6v, in my case the very tiny regulator became really hot, but I can confirm it works still hold up.....
although as I had fluctuations in my volt measured at Tx when using Frsky, first thing to change was the regulator.

First I used AMS1117, however, at nimh low bat 4.2v it suddenly switch of the Tx......Has too much dropout in my opinion.

To be safe I replace it with polulo S7V8F3, dc /dc tiny step up/down switched regulator. www.pololu.com/product/2122 .
So summary the Polulo it works really fine to drive the devo 7e, recommended!, but still my Tx Volt displayed using Frsky,is fluctuation, also with the new regulator.
Also a Large capacitor at the vcc, does not seem to help, also placing a large capacitor at the ADC input pin at the ARM direct, does not solve it.

More
25 Apr 2016 13:28 #47160 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Have you probed the voltage on the board (ideally with a scope, but maybe you'd see something with a DMM)? Walkera's circuit for battery voltage measurement is potentially susceptible to noise. It is more likely that the cc2500 is leaking noise back into the transmitter. That could probably be reduced by using an independent Vreg for the RF module.

More
25 Apr 2016 14:14 #47163 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
isn't using an unshielded switching reg next to rf chips a bit risky?

More
25 Apr 2016 23:21 #47192 by koss
Replied by koss on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Finally got my 3-in-1 from banggood, ordered the first day available there. Do I need to do any mods or connect LNAEN to anything besides the normal wiring to my 7e?

More
26 Apr 2016 08:22 - 26 Apr 2016 08:26 #47217 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
@PB, did not further investigate. A possibility I had in mind, is to use the stock Vreg to power Tx and connect all 3v3 Vcc of the Tx modules to the polulo. Possibly put some RF choke and Capacitor between VCC. Dit not check trace with scope.

I can confirm large CAP at the V sense ADC input ARM, it really loads, as I could see when switching Tx on, voltage slowy rising, to charge the capacitor. (but does not solve fluctuation)
I was wondering the reference voltage used for the ADC of ARM, were does it come from? Is it just the 3v3 vcc pins of the chip?, We should place some extra capicitors Vcc close to the chip?

A tuning variable for Vref, would be nice as it is indeed slightly off volt.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2016 08:26 by Fernandez.

More
26 Apr 2016 09:31 #47219 by VeGani
Replied by VeGani on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Hi, I just started with this hobby, and decided to order 3in1 module for my Devo 7E.
I've gone thru all information regarding installation of this 3in1 module, and found out some picture posted by others (Leo Li and dc59)

I would like to ask a few questions on Devo 7E pinout:

1. Which are the VDD pin, A or B or both? Is there any difference if 3in1 VDD soldered into pin A or B above? Leo Li use pin B, while dc59 use pin A.
2. Is there any difference if GND soldered to pin C or pin D? I read some information that someone experience frozen Devo 7E when he soldered A7105 to pin D, but then problem solved when he re-soldered GND to pin C.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments:

More
26 Apr 2016 18:06 - 26 Apr 2016 18:12 #47248 by StevePropHead
Replied by StevePropHead on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Hello all! First post here... You guys blow me away. I'm amazed at all of your knowledge, creativity, and generosity in sharing your talents with the rest of the RC world. Thank you!!

I'm only a few years into RC now (primarily helicopters). Budget and time have kept my progress to a snails' pace, but I'd rather do it slowly than not at all. A few months ago I learned about Deviation and read a lot about it, including many conversations on this forum, parts of the Wiki, Getting Started, FAQ, some of the tutorials, conversations on other RC forums, YouTube videos, and other sources, and I decided this was definitely the path for me rather than resigning myself to a single Tx and limited sub-set of the RC equipment out there and rather than spending piles of money on multiple Txs to open up my options to a larger selection. Deviation is one of the coolest things I've seen in RC. Period. Phractured and you all deserve huge props (no pun intended). Thank you!

I always cringe when I see someone post a question that makes it obvious they haven't even tried to find an answer themselves first. Seems to irritate the active/involved forum members (not that I blame them). But then on the other hand I cringe for different reasons when I see someone post a question that they have tried to find answers to, but just didn't look in the right places, or maybe the person just isn't that bright, or maybe just coincidentally looked in all the wrong places and just missed it. I may be falling into that category here...I have done [what I think is] a LOT of reading and I'm still unclear about something.

After looking at my RC helicopter strategy/plan (current collection of RC birds and likely near and mid-future ones) and the requisite Tx plan to support that strategy, I realize that I really want (need?) all four modules on tap in the Devo10 I bought a couple months ago. I have successfully flashed the firmware to the latest nightly build of Deviation (last week) and flew one of my Blade helis nicely with just the stock hardware in the Devo. So that's a small success so far. But I now need to decide which of the many, many paths to 4 modules I should undertake. As a little background, I LOVE DIY projects, but I'm not that bright. I'm a mechanical engineer by trade (not an electrical or electronic engineer), and only a mediocre one at that. At age 45 I'm still working on my senior year of my bachelor's degree (started college after I had a mortgage and family), and it's HARD with my old brain. Anyway, I do manage simple electronic repairs and small projects here and there. From everything I've read and seen I have no qualms whatsoever about my ability to accomplish one of these proven paths to 4 modules in my Devo10. But as much as I'm going to love this project, I don't want it to be a necessarily-eternal project. It would be fun, yes. But with limited time and resources I do want to get through this project and get my Devo10 fully functional with 4 modules and then put the Tx mods on hold for a while while I enjoy the fruits of my labors with my collection of helis and while I learn the ins and outs of Tx programming, setting up control profiles for different birds, and working on my actual flying skills. (Imagine that!) For what it's worth, I'm sure one day I'll want telemetry functions, I'll want to dabble with FPV, and lots of other things. But for now and for the foreseeable future I see myself only needing 6-7 channels of programmable control for birds of low to mid cost and complexity.

I have read every single post on all 17 pages of this thread, and some answers I still don't really have clear in my head. Having said all that...

QUESTION 1: Is there or is there not at least one solid, proven, reliable method of adding a 3-in-1 assembly to my Devo10 (keeping the CYRF in place)? There are discussions and tangents and all kinds of slick hypothetical ideas and improvement plans and experimentation, but I can't figure out if those are just trying to get to one stable method of 3-in-1 that is reliable, or if there already IS [at least] one method, and most of the active conversation I've been reading is just about continuous improvement...about adding functionality like telemetry, better power management, range, compactness, etc.?

QUESTION 2: Same as question 1, but with regards to [at least] one single reliable version and method of 4-in-1?

QUESTION 3: I have read that additional methods of enabling/disabling modules have been discovered (additional pins that can reliably serve CS duty) that have made it possible for people to just add 3 separate, individual RF modules (while leaving the stock CYRF6936 module intact) without having to accomplish the same end by means of a 3-in-1, 4-in-1, or multi-module. I'd like your opinions and suggestions as to which path is likely to be the least risk (risk of wrecking things during the physical mods), likely to work the best in actual use, likely to fit (physically fit) inside my Devo10 the best, and require the least amount of electronics knowledge and skill? Seems like adding 3 separate modules directly (for a total of 4) without doing a 3-in-1, 4-in-1, or multi-module would be the most straight forward, least risk, and easiest for a novice like me to succeed at, but seems like it will be difficult (if even possible??) to package 4 modules into my Devo10 case? Not to mention the 4 separate antennas I'll have to deal with. But then there are pros and cons to adding a 3-in-1 to the existing hardware, as there are also pros and cons for the other methods people have used. Thoughts? Suggestions? Guidance?

Sorry for the long post. I know long posts and wordy questions can be annoying to some people. But I also know that short posts devoid of sufficient clarity in purpose can be as much or more annoying. I tend towards more information rather than less.

I sincerely appreciate and thank you in advance for taking the time to read my post and questions and for sharing some of your wisdom.
-Steve
Last edit: 26 Apr 2016 18:12 by StevePropHead.

More
26 Apr 2016 19:16 #47254 by TomPeer
Replied by TomPeer on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
You may have read it here. I put 3 seperate modules in my devo 10. Do not worry about space, there is plenty.
In the devo 10 there is even a good soldering possibillety for the third module.
The 3 modules are proven to work good while there are still some problems with the 3in1 and specialy with the 4in1.
I am very happy that i did the 3 seperate modules, but you do get 4 antenna's. You can put them inside the devo, so you do not see them. However i put the antenna's for the nrf24L01 and the CC2500 on the outside, just to be save. I have the A7501 with the small antenna attached to it, i kept that one, so that is on the inside. That, of course, is your choise.

For soldering at the transmitter side it won't matter what choise you make, you have to use the same soldering points you would use as with the multi boards. When you use three sepperate modules you heve to solder a bit more. But if you mess something up, then you just have to redo or replace 1.

Good luck

Tom

More
27 Apr 2016 00:22 #47279 by Slammer
Replied by Slammer on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
I know this may not be the place for this but i have two brand new 3 in 1 modules that just came in from BG if someone is interested please PM me. I am no longer going to make the mods to my devo 12s or my devo 10.....if anyone is interested in a Devo 12s no mods flashed with deviation let know and we can discuss out side of this thread.

More
27 Apr 2016 14:24 #47304 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
The 3-in-1 board looks like three separate modules to deviation. Adding it should work as well as adding three separate modules, and we know that works fine.

The first advantage of the 3-in-1 is that you don't have to connect the shared lines once per rf module, but just once to the 3-in-1 module. You'll still need to connect the three different module enable lines to the transmitter and enable them in hardware the same way. This is different from the multi-module, which uses different RF modules but only one enable line.

The second advantage of the 3-in-1 is that you only need one antenna for all three modules, instead of one for each module. Personally, I love the antenna forest look of my MM-equipped 10, but I know that's not for everyone. But I like the idea of it coming with a proper ufl connector instead of the crap antenna that comes on the usual A7105 module.

The disadvantage of the 3-in-1 is that you are stuck with their RF modules and electronics. Sounds like those are good at this point.

The 4-in-1 module needs external support hardware. It's designed for use in a DIY transmitter module, not deviation. Sounds like PB may start over on the universal module design using the 4-in-1 module instead of the existing work. I wouldn't recommend it at this point.

The 3-in-1 trades more complicated electrical connections for a simpler physical ones compared to the multi-module. Which of those you prefer will depend on your taste and skill set more than anything else. I'm not planning on ordering one for either of my transmitters, as the 10 has a multi-module in it and the 6S has three separate modules. Maybe someday.

In summary: the 4-in-1 is not recommended yet. I may get one of those for the either or both if the universal module version ever shows up.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
27 Apr 2016 14:39 #47308 by StevePropHead
Thank you much. And while I know I've come across the answer to this in my various readings, I can't remember clearly... What is the defining difference between a "multi-module" install and just installing 3 separate modules?

Again, to keep us on the same page, my intention is definitely to have all 4 RF modules in my Devo10 when I'm done. And as of relatively recently it was discovered and proven out that a person could simply install the 3 additional RF modules directly into the Devo10 and call it done (since a 3rd chip select pin was identified and proven out). And I don't say "simply" in terms of the soldering and wiring involved, just in terms of the added components--it's just (Devo10 stock) + (NRF24L01 module) + (A7105 module) + (CC2500 module) and that's it. Simple in concept and function if not in wiring and soldering.

So could someone explain what is fundamentally different about a "multi-module" build versus what I just described?

-Steve

More
27 Apr 2016 15:04 #47309 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
It is still unclear to me how 3-in-1 handles PAEN/LNAEN - we don't connect these pins to anything and it "just works"?

More
27 Apr 2016 21:22 #47332 by HappyHarry
my 3in1's should be here soon so i can pull the sheild and get a look of what components there are on the board, perhaps this will let us know, but looking at the range test results posted earlier the pa/lna are both enabled for all chips (bar the cc2500 in the earlier 3in1 revision) so something must be working them

More
28 Apr 2016 12:58 #47359 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
The multi-module is a daughter board that you can plug up to four modules into. It includes a microcontroller that switches the data signals between the modules installed on it. Since it has three separate modules, you have to have three antennas. But it only requires one connection for data, power and ground, like the 3-in-1. It also only requires one enable line, as the microcontroller handles enabling the various modules. The 3-in-1 and discrete modules all require an enable line per module.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
28 Apr 2016 15:09 #47368 by ursus69
Replied by ursus69 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Received today my 3in1 module from Banggood...
The module works ok? Have range problem??
The final connections for the Devo10 are this??

dc59 wrote:

TheSFReader wrote: Hi, I don't get how you connect the 3 CS ? are 3 pins available on a Devo 10 ?
Just finished yesterday the install of an NRF module on my brand new Devo 7e, and perhaps would jump on an 3in 1 / 4 in one as a next step..., and don't get how you'd choose with only 2 "csel" pins (don't see any inverter there...)

Hardware.ini

enable-cyrf6936 = B12
has_pa-cyrf6936 = 1
enable-a7105 = A13
has_pa-a7105 = 1
enable-cc2500 = A14
has_pa-cc2500 = 1
enable-nrf24l01 = B7
has_pa-nrf24l01 = 1

More
28 Apr 2016 15:14 #47371 by StevePropHead

Slammer wrote: I know this may not be the place for this but i have two brand new 3 in 1 modules that just came in from BG if someone is interested please PM me. I am no longer going to make the mods to my devo 12s or my devo 10.....if anyone is interested in a Devo 12s no mods flashed with deviation let know and we can discuss out side of this thread.

I PM'd you. Check your private messages on DeviationTx.com

More
28 Apr 2016 18:46 - 28 Apr 2016 18:52 #47383 by wasp09
Replied by wasp09 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
I have A7105, CC2500 plus a 8S cyrf6936 module in my 7E. I am ordering a devo 10 so I shall have room for CC2500. What is the verdict for the 3 in 1 at BG? Should I use a stand alone CC2500 or the 3 in 1? Some posts above might have indicated a weak transmission for the 3 in 1 CC2500. The CC2500 is a preparation for XK BNFs. I am OK with the stock Skyartec TX (NASA 701) for my X303Vs and WNCPXs.

Regards.
Last edit: 28 Apr 2016 18:52 by wasp09.

More
29 Apr 2016 00:17 #47392 by C0ckpitvue 777
Replied by C0ckpitvue 777 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Are there any current issues with the 3 in1 from banggood?I ordered 1 and they are expected in stock on May 8.I would like to put this module in a devo 10 I just ordered and wanted to know of any problems that's associate with the current module if any.Any feedback will be graciously appreciated.Thanks in advance.

More
29 Apr 2016 00:28 #47394 by HappyHarry
afaik the current and future batches of the 3in1 have no issues, it was only the early batch that didn't have the pa/lna for the cc2500 connected properly and that has since been addressed

Time to create page: 0.235 seconds