Ultimate7e tutorial: Four 3-way + two 2-way switch

More
06 May 2016 17:04 - 12 Jul 2016 10:52 #47884 by silpstream
Finally managed to add four 3-way switches to the devo7e. It requires an upgraded processor due to space constraints. The tutorial is at:

Ultimate7e: Adding 4 extra 3-way switches

Here's a vid of it:

This modification requires upgrading of the Devo7E processor. The link for how to do it is below.

Test builds are available on the deviationtx site (Downloads -> Test Builds ). There you'll find:
  • [silpstream]Ultimate7e-v5.0.0: Test Builds - Build based on BRANCH_5.0.0 (Latest stable release with bug fix updates only).
  • [HappyHarry]Ultimate7e Deviation5.0.0-xxxxxxxx - Build based on nightlies (Latest and greatest deviationtx features get tested here).

HappyHarry's Ultimate 7e-256k builds thread: Ultimate 7e-256k builds
Processor upgrade thread: Ultimate7e tutorial: Processor upgrade
Extra potentiometers thread: Ultimate7e tutorial: Adding 2 potentiometers

[UPDATE: 12 July 2016] Now supports Multiple switch configurations. Check this post .
Last edit: 12 Jul 2016 10:52 by silpstream.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2016 20:20 #47902 by HappyHarry
nice work bud! B)

More
07 May 2016 14:44 - 07 May 2016 15:00 #47961 by silpstream

HappyHarry wrote: i was even considering using these 'slider' pots like i have on my JR dsm9x on the actual side of the shoulder though i may have to cut a hole and 3d print a mount for them, they would be handy for a movable fpv cam :) you know i think because of these strides forward in 7e modding soon we will see a clamouring for the last stock of the 7e!

btw i noticed you used kynar for hooking the pots to the mcu, do you think it would carry enough current for the 3ways as well? as it would save a lot of space using that small a wire!

Those sliders look similar to the Taranis x9d ones. It'll be interesting to see how you get it to fit. Might be easier to use 60 degree pots and 3d print your own solder type knob. Let us know how it turns out. You can scavenge some small 60 degree pots from the gimbals of some toy transmitters. They have short necks and are rather slim, so might work well.

I am actually using a 36awg teflon wire (from hobbyking) and not Kynar, but for the mcu part they should both work.

I also don't see why Kynar would not handle the current for the switches. I believe the traces on the pcb would be slightly smaller than the Kynar, so you should be ok. Barely any current is going through it anyhow. In my case I scavenged the wire from an old apple usb to 30pin iPad connector. Just remove the exterior sleeve and you get soft supple fine gauge wire that is easy to work with.

Hope you don't mind me moving the discussion to this thread. It'll be easier to keep relevant information together for future searches.
Last edit: 07 May 2016 15:00 by silpstream.

More
07 May 2016 23:16 - 07 May 2016 23:18 #47997 by HappyHarry
yeah the taranis x9d/+ was based on the shell of the JR pcm9x/dsmx9/9303, all the changed was the rotary encoder for switches and the 2way momentary switches for pots. I've often wondered if the taranis motherboard would work with the rest of my jr 9x hardware, would be a nice upgrade if it did, but that's a story for another time lol. I was thinking of cutting some of the shell away in the relative spot and 3d printing a suitable piece to mount them so they sit flush, but we'll see how things go.

the only smallish guage wire I have is a little stiff, and still quite thick and by the time I had the modules and switch wiring in it was a little crowded, so replacing that with something smaller and more flexible would be ideal, especially now I'll be adding even more switches lol. I have a good bit of different colored kynar left over from my xbox and ps chipping days (that's what I used to jump the diode pads for the range mod) but i'd always wondered about it's ability for use for the modules (not for + or - of course) and switches being so thin.

no worries at all, makes perfect sense bud
Last edit: 07 May 2016 23:18 by HappyHarry.

More
08 May 2016 03:12 #48019 by silpstream
For digital signals like our switches and spi, I'm quite sure the kynar is sufficient. Afterall, kynar was designed for fairly complex digital wire-wrapped prototyping.

I'm guessing even the pots would not be an issue. Heck, we see thinner wire running to the tail motors in micro-helis.

More
08 May 2016 03:35 - 08 May 2016 03:36 #48021 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Four 3-way + two 2-way switch
I've never heard wire-wrap wire called kynar, but yes you'll have no issue with 30AWG wire for anything on the tx (probably wouldn't use it for the main battery lead I guess), I use it for all my multi-modules (all signals, power, and ground) as well as all switch mods, and have never had a problem with signal integrity or voltage droop or heating.
Last edit: 08 May 2016 03:36 by PhracturedBlue.

More
08 May 2016 13:37 - 08 May 2016 13:48 #48030 by HappyHarry
that's good to hear and will make things much less crowded in there :)

kynar is the company that makes the specific wire wrap wire I have >> Kynar it was said to be the best available back when I bought it being that it's silver plated copper with the kynar coating, actual wire i have >> Kynar 30awg but who knows if it's any different to other wire wrap's that are available lol
Last edit: 08 May 2016 13:48 by HappyHarry.

More
08 May 2016 13:50 #48031 by mtx63
MCU upgrade for my soldering station, no problem.
only docker for my old notebook. Devo 7E 256 k ultimate another further away.

Dieter

More
08 May 2016 15:59 #48041 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Ultimate7e tutorial: Four 3-way + two 2-way switch
On the subject of wire, I use this.
m.ebay.com/itm/30awg-White-Color-Soft-Si...?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

30AWG Silicone stranded wire (never actually counted but I believe it's 30 strand) and most importantly it's white so I keep a bunch of different color sharpies and add my own stripe to each one. 50m will last you YEARS.

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/

More
08 May 2016 21:47 #48077 by HappyHarry
slipstream could you add changes to the code in one of your repo's to build the emulator with the required changes for these extra switches? also you have a pm bud

More
09 May 2016 03:32 - 09 May 2016 03:41 #48090 by silpstream
I'll get working on it! Also pm replied. :cheer:
Last edit: 09 May 2016 03:41 by silpstream.

More
10 May 2016 20:04 #48174 by silpstream
Emulator is fixed and git (my fork) has been updated. I'll put up the files soon, once I figure out the upload script.

More
10 May 2016 20:56 #48175 by Fernandez
Hi silpstream, for my ultimate 7e shall I also allready order the voice module?
With the new CPU and memory space, probably voice commands could then also be add to the 7e?
Willl be a tight fit :)

More
10 May 2016 21:06 - 10 May 2016 21:57 #48176 by HappyHarry
nice work bud, looks good, many thanks! i know it's probably a big ask but when you have some spare time could you add keyboard button mapping for SWA through F? as there's no way to test mixes etc using those switches without a way to toggle them in the emulator software.

[edit]
just tried to have a play about and as well as having no keyboard buttons mapped to them you can't select any of the extra switches as a source in the mixers etc, this is all way above my head so i can't even suggest where to look to enable this, sorry :blush:
[/edit]
Last edit: 10 May 2016 21:57 by HappyHarry.

More
11 May 2016 03:58 - 11 May 2016 03:58 #48185 by silpstream
@fernandez, i believe the extra code for the voice module will fit, but i've never looked at it so i'm not sure if it is enabled for the 7e. I'm quite sure you need a custom build if it is. @MWM may be able to shed more light on it.

@HappyHarry, it's all there. You still need to edit hardware.ini for the emulators. Add "3x4_2x2" for extra switches.

Keyboard mapping as per manual (bottom row of keyboard).
Last edit: 11 May 2016 03:58 by silpstream.

More
11 May 2016 14:28 - 11 May 2016 14:30 #48199 by HappyHarry
my bad bud, i had 4x3_2x2 and not 3x4_2x2 :o as i was going off the original switch mods way where 3x2 = 3way switch times 2, so i presumed 3x4 would be what it was looking for lol. again many thanks for this 8)
Last edit: 11 May 2016 14:30 by HappyHarry.

More
11 May 2016 17:16 #48212 by silpstream
Alls good. You do realise that i did use the existing switch-way x num-switch convention. I.e. 3x4. You might have been thinking one thing and typng another. Rolf... ;)

More
11 May 2016 18:36 #48219 by HappyHarry
jesus wth is wrong with my head lmao :D anyway it's clear that the problem was mine and that i need to see the doctor for a head checkup lol

More
16 May 2016 20:08 #48545 by silpstream
I made an update to the code so that it now supports mostly any combination of switches. You can basically setup "3x3 with 2x2" or "3x4 with 2x1" or some other combination you want. Just edit the hardware.ini file to enable.

Thanks to HappyHarry for the suggestion! :cheer:

More
16 May 2016 20:24 - 16 May 2016 20:44 #48547 by HappyHarry
that's great work bud! and no, the thanks go to you for doing the work! 8)

this gives people the ultimate flexibility in choosing their switch combos, as like me not everyone will want to have all the switches that are possible, plus with this done they can now mod and add switches as they require instead of doing them all from the get go.

[edit]
just pulled the build off the test page, i'll give it a run through for you bud :)
[/edit]
Last edit: 16 May 2016 20:44 by HappyHarry.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds