Protocol description - a suggestion

More
13 Dec 2015 18:59 #40882 by SirDomsen
Protocol description - a suggestion was created by SirDomsen
Hi,

while I'm using my Devo 10 with many different flyers with many different protocols, I found out that it is from time to time very ugly to find out, which channel does what on which protocol.

That's why I started this thread: Perhaps we could collect supported models and describe which channel is responsible for which function in this model. I had this idea while reading this thread: www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...-395-cx-10?start=380
Let's do it like goebish did in his post #38644:
It has CX10 Green, Blue-A, WLToys Q282 (thanks hexfet), DM007, JC3015-1, JC3015-2 and MK33041 format options.

Channel 5 controls rate (except on Q282: controls lights)
Channel 6 controls flips (double flips if >50 on JC3015-2)
Channel 7 controls picture snapshot (except on JC3015-1: controls lights)
Channel 8 controls video recording (requires toggle to start/stop on some models)
Channel 9 controls headless
Channel 10 controls RTH

With informations like this one, it would be way easier to create new model .ini's from scratch or 'translating' his own models for a new one.

Please feel free to add all the informations you have

Greetz
SirDomsen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2015 02:24 #40903 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic Protocol description - a suggestion
Very good suggestion! :cheer:

More
14 Dec 2015 02:25 #40904 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Protocol description - a suggestion
This is already incorporated (at least to a point) into the User Manuals by protocol. Can you review your notes against what the manual has now for that protocol and see if there are changes or additions required?

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
14 Dec 2015 08:40 #40914 by SirDomsen
Replied by SirDomsen on topic Protocol description - a suggestion
As it is in the Manual, that's what I thaught. But the manual refers to 4.0, isn't it? So many new developed protocols that are integrated in the nightlies have no documentation - or did I miss something? Please correct me if I'm wrong. For Example the mentioned CX-10 protocol, the bayangtoys,...
It's like the supported models list - it seems not to be completely up to date. So I just wanted to collect the missing infos, i did not want to criticise somebody.

Greetz
Domsen

More
14 Dec 2015 09:36 #40915 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Protocol description - a suggestion
What also could be of great help for many starters is to store a default ini file for each model. It could be a great starting point to get people starting fly the model with deviation. The name of the default.ini could be in the model table.
Now we have to search the forums.

More
14 Dec 2015 16:01 #40919 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Protocol description - a suggestion
These are good ideas. I really like the idea of an example ini file within the docs... there are a lot of switches and variations on these TXs, so we need to address conversion issues.

Is this a "search" problem? I know there are a lot of model.ini's available... are people simply unable to FIND the info?

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
14 Dec 2015 17:01 #40921 by SirDomsen
I won't say a search problem, one can find these infos. But it takes a lot of time because some ini files in the middle of a 20 pages thread. So it is from time to time necessary to read half of the topic to get the needed infos to create a own ini or find one that really works.

In my opinion the .inis from the modelfiles section are great for beginners, but it is a bit inconvenient to 'read' a .ini file just for getting the info about the channels - and then therw is still not the info what function the programmed switch or whatever works for...

More
14 Dec 2015 20:30 #40933 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Protocol description - a suggestion
The PDF manuals are for 4.0[.1?]. The manuals linked to in the left hand nav column are from last summer. I added all the protocols that were in the build at that time, and added documentation for which pseudo channels did what when I could figure it out from the source. Unfortunately, these are like real channels, and what they do will vary from model to model with the same protocol. Details specific to a model - as opposed to a protocol - don't really belong in the manual.

The forum search is pretty much worthless. Use google, and type the URL for the thread in as part of the search. Google will limit the search to that thread for you, providing the missing "thread search" functionality. Even if you don't have a thread to search, using the url for the forum as a whole or the appropriate sub-forum works a lot better than the forum search facility.

What's really needed is a properly curated list of models along with comments to them. The forums suck for this as well, as the curator can't delete or update obsolete information. Taking the existing "supported models" database (link in the left-hand menu again) and adding a column with a URL pointing to a a post in the forums that had the .ini file and description would be a great start. The hobby-grade RTF models would need to be expanded some, and it really needs to be set to world write access.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
15 Dec 2015 09:29 #40948 by SirDomsen
Oh, just saw that there are other manuals than the pdf version! So the first step, as you said mwm, is already done!

But i fully agree, we need a list where everyone can easily get the model specific settings, like they normally are written in the user manual of the flyer.
In my opinion that info should be as short as possible, perhaps like
'channel 5 > 50% double flip',
'channel 6 < 50% low rates, =50% medium rates, >50% high rates'

Just as an example. Perhaps we could add a link in the model list, where everyone gets this info by clicking on the related model?

More
15 Dec 2015 10:21 #40949 by Richard96816
Replied by Richard96816 on topic Protocol description - a suggestion
Model.ini files also support comments.

When I save model files I prepend the contributors notes at the top.

Too bad we can't display those comments on the transmitter.

More
15 Dec 2015 11:40 #40952 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Protocol description - a suggestion

SirDomsen wrote: But i fully agree, we need a list where everyone can easily get the model specific settings, like they normally are written in the user manual of the flyer.
In my opinion that info should be as short as possible, perhaps like
'channel 5 > 50% double flip',
'channel 6 < 50% low rates, =50% medium rates, >50% high rates'

Just as an example. Perhaps we could add a link in the model list, where everyone gets this info by clicking on the related model?

That sounds like what I tried to suggest. Please feel free to copy the models spreadsheet and add that column to it! If recommend making it works writable and encouraging people to add to it when they post a .ini file to the forums.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
20 Dec 2015 17:55 #41059 by SirDomsen
As I'm not a native english speaker, I'm not clearly sure what exactly you want me to do now...

Could yo please explain again?

Sorry for that stupid question..

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds