Support for walkera telemetry.

More
15 Jun 2015 07:18 #34104 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Support for walkera telemetry.
I havn't idea what is it. It can be RX voltage sag and RX reboot. If you have Fixed ID, connection will restore in a short time. Probably your BEC is too weak or wiring is too long.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2015 10:06 #34107 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Support for walkera telemetry.
What ESC are you using for your T-Rex? Combo Standard ESC? Robbe Roxxy with 3A BEC?
Try a Hobbywing Platinum V3 50A. It has a 7A BEC with burst 15A!
Alternative would be to use a real dedicated UBEC.

Strange that you can not test LOS with 100uw (not 100mw) within a greater distance on ground but only in the air?!?

Have you already tried to do fast pitchs + roll/nick stick movement on ground to get the digital servos and FBL to its maximum and maybe exceed the max. BEC for short time which would maybe result in a FBL reboot? Do you even use a FBL in this heli?

Please feel free to move this text to another thread for your specific problem tracking.

More
15 Jun 2015 21:40 - 15 Jun 2015 21:58 #34137 by HaGe
Replied by HaGe on topic Support for walkera telemetry.
Hello Vlad & Thomas,

@ Thomas
My Setup:
Hobbywing Platinum V3 50A @6V BEC - very fine ESC :cheer:
MSH Brain FBL unit
TS Servo = 3x TGY-306G-HV
Rear Servo = TGY-616MG-HV

On sunday i flashed the stock firmware "DEVO-8 Fw v1.0A.dfu" (100mw) and i flew 3 batteries without any problems :) .
But 3 batteries are not meaningful :unsure: . i will test any more batteries and report again :kiss: .

Btw to Deviation... missing telemetry funktions:
With DSM2/X telemetry it´s not possible to enter the gear ration to get the rotorhead speed.
WIth DEVO telemetry the "NO TELEMETRY SIGNAL" alarm sound are missing ( ???relevant for DSM2/X ??? ).

TX: Walkera DEVO 8s / RX: Walkera RX802 / Some DSMX
Telemetry: WK-CTL01-D
Models: Walkera SuperCP / T-REX 450 PRO / Blade 130x / FPV RaceCopter ZMR250
Last edit: 15 Jun 2015 21:58 by HaGe.

More
16 Jun 2015 10:52 - 16 Jun 2015 14:44 #34169 by Thomas.Heiss

HaGe wrote: On sunday i flashed the stock firmware "DEVO-8 Fw v1.0A.dfu" (100mw) and i flew 3 batteries without any problems :) .

Sorry to say but I think you are not allowed to use that US/Asian 100mw Devo firmware version in DE/EU.
You would have to use the 10mw firmware if you do not hold a "Konformitätserklärung" (KE, declaration of conformity) which explicitly allows 100mw for the specified protocol and limited (non-)hopping frequences and channel width.
Depending on how the DEVO 3 channel DSSS protocol is interpreted, you are pinned down to 10mw or what the KE tells you.
Please check your KE and see if you are allowed to fly anything different than 10mw.

More informations: www.rc-network.de/forum/showthread.php/4...100mw?highlight=dsss

Would I fly a Heli on 10mw or only on 2-3 channels? Probably not?!?
Maybe 450er heli as of park range?
450 heli may even work with Spektrum AR6115e half-range receiver (which also has DataPort and TM compatible FlightLog).

HaGe wrote: WIth DEVO telemetry the "NO TELEMETRY SIGNAL" alarm sound are missing ( ???relevant for DSM2/X ??? ).

To me not really relevant for DSMx.
Spektrum FlightLog has FrameLosses which you can set an alarm for >40 (worstcase) or better >20-30.
Holds > 0 = Alarm.
Continuous!!! 45 framelosses = 1 hold.

Temporarily TELEMETRY "out of range" with the Spektrum TM1000 (full-range) module does not mean that the TX signal is abrupted to the receiver.
I tested that on 100uw at ~63m distance. Pitching was still working (I still could see blades movement) even on current telemetry out of range (black / inverted fields on Devo 10).

It also got to my attention with Devo 10 that once I throttle down output power to 3mw, 1mw, 300uw, 100uw the telemetry range (received flight log packets) is reduced too??!? I can not go then that far away - otherwise temp / perm loss of telemetry flightlog numbers.
I am not 100% sure about it.
Is that correct?

Thomas
Last edit: 16 Jun 2015 14:44 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
16 Jun 2015 18:47 #34179 by HaGe

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Sorry to say but I think you are not allowed to use that US/Asian 100mw Devo firmware version in DE/EU.

I know about this. I will only test my setup to see if my problems are resulting from Deviation.

:lol: My favorite is and remains Deviation :lol: !

Btw: Today i flew 4 batterys without any problems :( .

More
18 Jun 2015 08:12 - 18 Jun 2015 08:15 #34265 by vlad_vy
PB, can you review changes for DEVO, DSM and RF Scanner? If I build firmware with call parse_telemetry_packet(packet) DSM protocol fit into Devo7e, if I build firmware with call parse_telemetry_packet() DSM protocol doesn't fit into Devo7e.

static void parse_telemetry_packet()

bitbucket.org/vlad_vy/deviation
Last edit: 18 Jun 2015 08:15 by vlad_vy.

More
18 Jun 2015 08:45 #34267 by linux-user
Replied by linux-user on topic Support for walkera telemetry.
Hi Vlad,
is there a reason you have removed "vlad-vy-devo-dsm-rf-scanner-updates" from the test versions.
I am currently running it (scanner-deviation-devo10-v4.0.1-e1cdc10-150525) with no issues so far on my Devo10

More
18 Jun 2015 09:14 - 18 Jun 2015 09:34 #34268 by vlad_vy
I'm trying to change code in order to fit build into Devo7e. It's tested and almost ready, but with correct function call parse_telemetry_packet() DSM protocol doesn't fit into Devo7e.

I can build new test version with parse_telemetry_packet(packet), it also will work.

www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/catego...m-rf-scanner-updates
Last edit: 18 Jun 2015 09:34 by vlad_vy.

More
22 Jun 2015 19:50 - 22 Jun 2015 19:58 #34539 by HaGe
Hello together,

unfortunately i must come to the following conclusion :(

vlad_vy wrote: If you like you can try

vlad´s version and also the stable release of Deviation are not work with my setup ( Devo protocoll & telemetry ) because after 15 flights (~ 120 min flight time) with the stock firmware and without any errors i can excluding problems with my components.

best regards
:( hage :(

Last edit: 22 Jun 2015 19:58 by HaGe.

More
23 Jun 2015 06:11 - 24 Jun 2015 07:33 #34547 by Thomas.Heiss
Now try it with DEVO protocol on 10mw instead of 100mw output power :)
What where your power settings within DeviationTX?

What has been your ground test range?
Any problems (LOS) on ground too?

Do I get you right? You run V4.0.1 stable + vlads version but not a official nightly build version?

Telemetry: Do you use a voltage sensor?
Are you 100% sure that you did not create a ground loop?

That will happen often eg with Spektrum TM1000/TM1100 when the receiver is connected with a +-signal servo cable to a telemetry module which by itself is connected by +- (second) cable to the flight pack.
Not sure about Walkera telemetry modules.

But I did not get a LOS just for a ground loop on a AR8000/TM1000 with Spektrum DSMx.
I just noticed Fades >20 (A <50 and L <80) which may further improve with NO ground loop.
But I can also remember getting higher Spektrum FlightLog Fades on a Spektrum DX8.
Some people seem to have just problems because of this regarding some threads??!
Last edit: 24 Jun 2015 07:33 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
23 Jun 2015 20:57 #34564 by HaGe

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Now try it with DEVO protocol on 10mw instead of 100mw output power :)

what this should help? :huh:

Thomas.Heiss wrote: What where your power settings within DeviationTX?

100mw

Thomas.Heiss wrote: What has been your ground test range?
Any problems (LOS) on ground too?

With DeviationTX -> ??? / With 100mw stock fw -> ~70 m then the baldes are twitching
With DeviationTX -> LOS ??? / With 100mw stock fw -> none

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Do I get you right? You run V4.0.1 stable + vlads version but not a official nightly build version?

Yes.

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Telemetry: Do you use a voltage sensor?

Yes & RPM

Thomas.Heiss wrote: Are you 100% sure that you did not create a ground loop?

Walkera telemetry module connection: ESC -> RX / RX -> Telemtry with standard stock 3 pin JR cable.

P.s. I am the next 4 weeks on :woohoo: holiday in the USA :woohoo: . Please excuse me for delayed answers. :cheer:

Thanks.

More
13 Jul 2015 06:42 #35397 by vlad_vy

vlad_vy wrote: I'm trying to change code in order to fit build into Devo7e. It's tested and almost ready, but with correct function call parse_telemetry_packet() DSM protocol doesn't fit into Devo7e.

I can build new test version with parse_telemetry_packet(packet), it also will work.

I think that these test builds are useless, no feedback at all.

More
05 Aug 2015 14:43 #36583 by billmester
Replied by billmester on topic Support for walkera telemetry.
Hi,
just joining this thread - as telemetry became an option just recently.
I have a Devo10, RX1002, R601 and various DSM2/X receivers.
Could somebody please sum it up for me: is telemetry available for any of these options?
More directly: does it worth to buy a WK-CTL01-D module now for the RX1002 units, or not yet...?
Thanks,
bm

More
06 Aug 2015 15:00 #36612 by billmester
Anyone, please?

More
06 Aug 2015 15:26 #36613 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Support for walkera telemetry.
Telemetry is always a good thing to have, but it costs flight time because of the extra weight and power draw for the telemetry module. Everybody provides some form of battery voltage info, and having low battery alarms in your hands is much better than flashing lights or buzzers on the aircraft, or a flight timer. It's well worth it if you're flying something large enough that the flight time loss is acceptable. Worst case are my micro aircraft (Mini CP and Proto X) where just turning on Rx voltage telemetry cuts the flight time in half.

The other thing you often get without sensors is radio reception information (RSSI or flightlog or ?). This is another nice thing to have warnings about, and can be invaluable in figuring out range issues.

GPS info is interesting, and it or an altitude sensor can be used to help you avoid violating altitude restrictions in places that have them. Other sensors (RPM, temperature, current draw, etc.) can be really useful in tuning aircraft if you know how to use it. Current draw in particular can be used to estimate how much flight time you have left given the right software and info, but I don't think either Walkera or Spektrum supports that.

With the Walkera module, all you'll get is battery voltage(s) unless you buy extra senors. Looks like those are getting hard to find as WK has moved from hobby-grade helicopters to drones. All I found in a quick check was the GPS module.

You didn't say what DSM Rx's you have, and it matters. Spektrum doesn't support their telemetry modules on Rx's without data ports. Current Rx's from Spektrum will have data ports, but I don't think any of the clones do. Some of the clones now have built-in telemetry, so won't need a module. it's easy to get a nice variety of sensors for them though.

If you don't have the data port, you can use a telemetry module & get the Rx voltage that Walkera gives you, but it's not supported by Spektrum so they don't test that combination. This is probably a minor point unless you're using a transmitter they test with as well.

With a supported Spektrum Rx, you also get radio reception information (aka flightlog data, or fades and holds) which is another good thing to have. With the latest generation of clones, you can get that direct from the Rx with no telemetry module needed, but they'll need an external battery sensor, and don't work properly if you have both a flight battery and an Rx battery.

Finally, some flight controllers provide telemetry info as well, but it usually only works for a specific set of Tx's, and will depend on your flight controller firmware. If you have one of those that will work with your telemetry module, that would raise it's value.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
06 Aug 2015 20:19 #36623 by billmester
Wow, thanks for the detailed info :)
On the helis I have some DSM(X)s, mostly V-Bars (K-Bars) and a 3GX with satellites, and a Spektrum 6115e.
However I am really interested to get battery voltage info on my planes (1,0-1,6 m wingspan) to really understand battery life and flight times.
And maybe RPM...
Those birds have RX1002s mostly, so a simple WK unit would do just fine.
The question is: is this supported by Deviation as of now?
Thanks,
bm

More
06 Aug 2015 22:29 #36630 by mwm
Yes, deviation supports Walkera's telemetry. The Mini CP is a Walkera heli. While it has the Rx telemetry built into the all-in-one board, I'd be really surprised if that didn't work with WK telemetry module, as that would mean they had two different telemetry protocols.

I can't speak for the RPM module. We have had cases before where telemetry worked, but some field or another was broken and we didn't discover it until it was tested. In my experience, they got fixed pretty quickly.

The AR6115E has a data port, so should work fine with a spektrum telemetry module. Given that it's a park flyer Rx, the TM1100 should be acceptable. However, the DSM telemetry code is in a state of flux. A lot of fixes got done, but the author got dragged away to other things (a problem with open source projects), and the changes are to extensive to merge as is, so they're waiting for either him to come back or another developer to find time to dig into them.

More
07 Aug 2015 04:48 #36635 by vlad_vy
Deviation definitely work with telemetry module WK-CTL01-D. WK-CTL01-D module has 2 external voltage wires and 4 temperature sensors. If you need, you have to purchase RPM sersors and GPS sensor.

In theory any DSM2/X receiver can work with Spektrum telemetry module (TM1000 or TM1100), but without data port you can't get 'Fligth Log' data (Fades, Frame Loses, Holds). Probably you will need some dance with tambourine to get telemetry module to bind together with receiver without data port.

More
07 Aug 2015 04:56 #36637 by billmester
Thanks guys. I'll go for the Walkera module.
bm

More
08 Aug 2015 01:47 #36668 by mwm

vlad_vy wrote: In theory any DSM2/X receiver can work with Spektrum telemetry module (TM1000 or TM1100), but without data port you can't get 'Fligth Log' data (Fades, Frame Loses, Holds). Probably you will need some dance with tambourine to get telemetry module to bind together with receiver without data port.

Nah, it's not that messy. I've bound both TM-1000 and TM-1100 with OrangeRx, LemonRx, and Spektrum Rx's without a data port. For those that use a bind plug, just plug the TM module into that, and bind as normal. If your Rx doesn't have a bind plug, but goes into bind mode when it doesn't connect at power on, bind it as normal, then bind the TM with it plugged into any random servo port, and you're done. Every once and a while I would power on things and the Rx won't connect but go into bind mode instead, because the connections processes interfere with each other. So I hit bind on the Tx again, it connects and everything is set.

Again, such isn't supported by Spektrum, so nobody has really tested the effects having a 2.4GHz tx besides those Rx's will have. You do have similar issues trying to use a satellite with such Rx's, which is something that Spektrum does support, so you're probably ok. Since using deviationTx isn't supported either, it's not clear there's a reason to care so long as it works.

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds