Cyclic1/2/3 Mixer Template Documentation?

More
05 May 2013 02:28 - 05 May 2013 02:35 #9572 by RoJAck
Hi folks!
I'm running Deviation devo10-v3.0.0 on a Devo 10.

In the Advanced GUI, you can select from the following mixer templates for each channel:
  • Simple
  • Expo&DR
  • Complex
  • Cyclic1
  • Cyclic2
  • Cyclic3
...and it seems if you pick one of the 'Cyclic' templates for a channel, then three new items appear after the channel listings and before the virtual channels:
  • CYC-AIL
  • CYC-ELE
  • CYC-COL
Each of these three new items is another mixer for the corresponding channel (ail, ele, or col). I can kind of guess what they do and how to control them, but wondering if there are plans to document these and the difference between cyclic1, 2, and 3 templates? They all seem to do the same thing. I didn't see anything about it in the Devo 10 Version 3.0 manual ...unless I missed it somewhere?
Last edit: 05 May 2013 02:35 by RoJAck.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
05 May 2013 06:31 - 05 May 2013 06:32 #9578 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Cyclic1/2/3 Mixer Template Documentation?
Look into the Devo8 manual, beginning at page 42. There is a description how to setup a heli config with the use of the Cyclic.
In general cyclic 1-3 are three channels which are mixed together in in tx to achieve the correct controlling of the swashplate. With a cp heli you will have in most cases a 120° constellation where one servo is in line with the rotor (in front or behind) and the two others are on the other side, but somewhere outside. They have to be controlled in a special manner: for pitch all three have to move in the equal direction, for elevator the one in line moves in the opposite direction to the outside servos, for aileron the one in line does not move and the two others in opposite directions.
This calculating can be done in the rx (mostly every fbl rx does this) or in the rx - and this is what the cyclic 1-3 are for: their values will be taken to calculate the values for the three servos corresponding to the stick input (and the type of swashplate chosen - a 90° swashplate needs other calculating than a 140°).
EDIT: CYC-AIL... are the resulting channels where you put expo, scaling... on to fit it to your needs.
Last edit: 05 May 2013 06:32 by rbe2012.

More
06 May 2013 16:19 - 06 May 2013 16:20 #9620 by RoJAck
Replied by RoJAck on topic Cyclic1/2/3 Mixer Template Documentation?
Ah... Thanks RBE. Makes sense now. I've been flying CP helis for a couple of years now, both FB and FBL, so I understand cyclic programming in general. I was just looking for some documentation on the feature. I should have thought to look at the Devo 8 doc. As you stated, there it was. Thanks again and for the confirmation above. Really loving Deviation the more I get into it. So much better than the stock interface. It really takes this transmitter to the next level.
Last edit: 06 May 2013 16:20 by RoJAck.

More
14 Jul 2015 04:57 - 14 Jul 2015 05:25 #35424 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Cyclic1/2/3 Mixer Template Documentation?
Unfortunately it is not very clear in the documentation how Cyclic1 and Cyclic2 work or what numbering is used on the first two virtual channels when appyling to the channels ail and elev as SRC.

I want to suggest to update the documentation and add more detail / missing information:
- how cyclic 1 / cyclic 2 mixer channels work

- well-asked questions from the GUI Cyclic1-3 thread: deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/73-g...gbavy&start=620#1310

- describing the cyclic 1 / cyclic 2 reverse mapping problem with simple/advanced gui:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/6-general-disc...ngs-for-flybar#35089
www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...-gui-120-swash#14445

- describing the 6CH heli standard and advanced templates which introduces Cyclic1-3

- why the channel numbering in the standard heli template is just ignored by mixer_standard.c code

- picture of a receiver and what slots the servos have to be plugged into on CCPM 120:
* ELEV = front/back elevator servo, AIL = left roll servo, AUX1 = right roll servo)
* or if there is any other CH1, CH2, CH3 hardware wiring needed (e.g ZYX FBL diagrams)

- illustrate differences in swash plate designs (different hardware wires???)

- if there are any hardware wiring differences or mixing Cyclic1-Cyclic3 differences on possible 140/90 swashplate designs

- suggestions how to use a heli programming with FBL setup

- maybe linking this HOWTO thread (html documentation) and/or using it as the basis of a full documented, well-described setup in the manuals: www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/1226-ho...s-on-custom-firmware

The heli documentation is a bit limited to my understanding.

Now you guys have introduced the new HTML documentation (in parallel to the PDF or is it a replacement)? where you could easily link external sources too.

It got me some (too much) time to get started to understand how DeviationTX does it with still open questions on the code / mixing setups / hardware-wiring possibilities like some found CCPM / Flybar threads >1-2 years ago.

Mantis bugtracker #624: www.deviationtx.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=624
Last edit: 14 Jul 2015 05:25 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
15 Jul 2015 10:06 #35472 by mwm
Thomas, can you create a pull request for the suggested documentation changes?

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
08 Mar 2016 11:09 - 08 Mar 2016 13:28 #44254 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Cyclic1/2/3 Mixer Template Documentation?
Another heli CCPM120 discussion thread with explanations from Hexfet (code changes in nightly-builds, either use search keywords heli or CCPM on BitBucket commit):
www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...ef0d76d?limitstart=0
Last edit: 08 Mar 2016 13:28 by Thomas.Heiss. Reason: link corrected

Time to create page: 0.037 seconds