Is a Deviation v4.1 release on the near horizon?

More
26 May 2015 18:05 - 26 May 2015 18:06 #33023 by RedSleds
Just curious if there is a rough idea on when a new version of Deviation might be released. Is it, perhaps, waiting on the completion of the single-board universal module, and any de-bugging associated with that project?

I would assume that the older multi-module build will be supported by any such release. Would that be a correct assumption?

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)
Last edit: 26 May 2015 18:06 by RedSleds.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2015 19:38 - 26 May 2015 19:38 #33026 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Is a Deviation v4.1 release on the near horizon?
I had hoped to have it ready by now, but I decided to focus on the F12E instead. The following tasks need to be completed:
1) Complete F12E testing
2) Finish the new Deviation-Upload tool to support the F12E
3) Import mwm's work on the toggle selection, and figure out what to do about the Devo7e
4) Completion of DSM2/Walkera telemetry incorporation
5) Incorporate hexfet's text-select feature
6) Integrate universal module support
7) go through all open bugs/pull requests and triage
8 update manual

There is also a bunch of protocol work being done by goebish/victzh, but my guess it that will be done before the other tasks are complete.

I expect to have theUniversalTx supported in the next release, but the multimod will continue to be supported as well.

1,2,3 are all significant tasks that may take a while to complete
I'm not sure yet what to do about (4).

I would say given my current knowledge, that we are several months away from a release still.
Last edit: 26 May 2015 19:38 by PhracturedBlue.

More
26 May 2015 20:09 #33030 by RedSleds
Thanks for the update.

Wish I could help with some of those things, ....but I am a mere mortal, not a code warrior.

I appreciate all of the talented people that make this all possible!

DEVO 10 - Multi-module with nRF24L01 +PA +LNA, A7105 +PA, & CC2500 +PA +LNA transceivers.
Nightly Build: v4.0.1-548bbf5 (6/9/2015)

More
27 May 2015 13:36 #33050 by mwm
I was about to reject the toggle selection pull request. The last set of updates didn't merge cleanly, and I'm not sure that it can be made small enough to fit on the 7E.

There is one fix in it that needs to be incorporated no matter what. The symbolicon array in the b&w displays overflows. That's in toggle_select.c, but doesn't seem to happen in the color version. Let me know if you'd like a pull request just for it.

FWIW, I think that it's been long enough between releases that we should do a release ASAP, leaving out anything non-trivial that's pending and not ready or we're not sure how to deal with, like my toggle icon code.

And as a last note, the toggle icon code breaks backwards compatibility. It will load old model files, but old firmware won't load the ones it's written. I think that calls for a major version bump.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
31 May 2015 15:43 #33286 by robca
I'd put a +1 on doing a 4.1 release with what's available now...

It's been a long time since the official release, and the current nightly are much better than release.But there are folks who prefer to install the stable version, not nightly. If all the tasks that PhracturedBlue mentions are "a few months away", that means that between 4.0.1 and 4.1 more than 2 years would elapse... 18 months seem a good interval between releases (4.0.1 released in Jan 2014), so it seems that 4.1 is due...

Having said that, I'm happy with the nightly...

More
05 Jun 2015 13:05 - 05 Jun 2015 13:05 #33465 by aperseghin
Replied by aperseghin on topic Is a Deviation v4.1 release on the near horizon?
Just call it 4.0.2 and release it
Last edit: 05 Jun 2015 13:05 by aperseghin.

More
05 Jun 2015 13:13 #33467 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Is a Deviation v4.1 release on the near horizon?
I appreciate everyone's opinions, but the fact is that getting a release done properly takes time and effort. There are bugs in the current code that will prevent release. The documentation needs to be updated for features added since 4.0. Even if nothing else is done, those things will require time and effort. It's not where I want to put mine right now.

More
05 Jun 2015 15:12 #33473 by mwm
Any chance of getting a road map for what you need for release (other than documentation and issue checking) so that others can work on it? Or is that the list?

More
05 Jun 2015 15:23 #33474 by PhracturedBlue
that is about it. We need to bottom out on the telemetry issues too. Indigo seems to have disappeared (possibly I chased him off, though that certainly wasn't my intent). Vlad has some work done, but I'm not sure of the state of it. If we don't merge the new switch code, then we're basically done. I want to merge in my latest UniversalTx code, but that won't have much impact. I would like to finish the java uploader (since it is needed for the F12E), but theF12E is still in an experimental state, and I won't hold a release for it at this time.

More
05 Jun 2015 15:25 #33475 by mwm
For the switch code, any chance we can make the UI load dynamically on the 7E? Or large chunks of it, anyway? That would free up a lot of space.

More
05 Jun 2015 15:53 #33476 by mwm
Back on topic. Can I play release manager?

It sounds like we're actually not that far from a "release what we have" type thing, then. If we leave out the stuff that you've already said is experimental, there are three things on the list: The new DSM/telemetry code, my toggle code and hexfet's "text select" feature. If the Joysway protocol checks out, I'd like that merged :) . I'm not sure what the last one is, but I believe a release without the first two would be fine, as they aren't in the release right now. I'm perfectly willing to do a bug triage and see where we stand on things. A code freeze on the default branch while I do that would be appreciated.

The other issue is the manual. I'd like to revisit a format change. Not for reasons doing with tool-chain or religious preferences or whatnot, but just so that we can get a version that can be merged. For now, is the version in the deviationtx/devaiation-manual repository the one we should be working on? If so, I'll see if we can get some help with it.

More
05 Jun 2015 17:11 #33479 by PhracturedBlue
Hexfet's code is already merged.
The problem with the 7e is that to enable dynamic loading, you need to trade off RAM (need some place to load it). We already use 4K of RAM to load the protocol code, which doesn't leave very much to spare. Certainly we can't afford another 4k.

I am open to suggestions regarding the manual. I am extraordinarily frustrated with Libre Office, but I have yet to find anything that can do the job as well that is also portable. I really like having a well formatted manual and markup->pdf just looks like crap when I've investigated it.

It looks like I screwed up the manual. My latest changes are in bitbucket.org/PhracturedBlue/deviation-manual but there are other changes in bitbucket.org/deviationtx/deviation-manual
These need to be merged before further work is done.

I'm generally fine with a feature freeze with things as is, but I think it would be better to triage the bugs down to a reasonable state before doing so, as I think it will take some time to manage that. I don't forsee any major changes coming unless I can figure out how to reduce the 7e size, and I'm willing to defer that until after the release if we also postpone your toggle work.

More
05 Jun 2015 19:10 #33480 by mwm
I have no problem with holding off my toggle icon code. It changes the file format, so needs to be handled carefully above and beyond the issues with the 7e.

Any chance we could get products in Mantis? At a minimum, the ability to pull out web site stuff would help a little. Transmitter tags would also help, especially if it allowed multiple tags, or at least an "any" tag. For instance, I'm not sure of the status of the F7, but I suspect iI can't do anything about the crash report for it in any case.

I agree about markdown, it's really not suitable for even a complicated web page, much less a user manual. I don't worry much about formatting these days - I've never found anything short of something like FrameMaker I was happy with but TeX, and that's a pretty hefty install. Especially if you also want a GUI.

Any objections to google docs? That's what I wound up with when I wrote the model config tutorial, but I didn't worry much about formatting. Pluses are zero-effort install, built in revision tracking, shared editing, and it's easy for anyone to suggest changes. Downside is that you either let anyone edit it, or require a google account to edit. If you don't have a problem with it, I'll try converting part of the manual so you can check out the formatting.

More
05 Jun 2015 23:52 #33495 by PhracturedBlue
There is already 'platform' which can be used to identify which Tx the bug applies to.
You can also apply tags as you like.
Is there something you need that these capabilities don't provide?

I think I tried google docs initially and found the formatting capabilities too limited. But I don't recall what exactly. If you can show a couple chapters with tables, graphics, and reference links, and a TOC, I'd be willing to convert if it looks ok. Another issue is I'm not sure how easy it would be to compare changes between the 8/10 manuals. Today this is a real pain. I bring up both manuals side by side and go through the text looking for differences. I would hate for it to get any harder than it already is.

I'm okay with limiting access to the docs. Given how hard it is to merge, it is probably easiest to just keep access to a minimum and take changes as text diffs.

More
06 Jun 2015 00:13 #33499 by mwm
Ah, "platform" is perfect. I just saw product and figured that was where such should be, and it was empty.

Except there aren't enough of Platforms. It doesn't even list all the current supported transmitters. Can we add:

Devo 6/6S.
Web.
Entries for the unreleased Tx's available in the nightly build. Either an "unreleased" platform, or one for each of them.
Multimodule.
Universal module (since there's code in the nightly for it as well).

I'll try and convert some sample chapters to google docs. Probably a simple one, just to see if the basic formatting can work, and then something more complicated as well.

More
06 Jun 2015 00:21 #33501 by PhracturedBlue
It is trivial to add more entries. I've added a few which should cover us for a while.

More
06 Jun 2015 07:42 - 06 Jun 2015 07:44 #33538 by repli
I'm not an IT expert, just wanted to throw in WinDiff as an Open Source file/text comparison tool with Windows GUI. Maybe this could help in the proof reading of versioned up documentation files...
Last edit: 06 Jun 2015 07:44 by repli.

More
08 Jun 2015 00:37 #33611 by mwm
Ok, I've gone through all the open issues.

Serious outstanding issues :

Most of the issues are DSM/Devo telemetry related. I've reached out to Indigo about his fixes.

A lot of the rest seem to be related to channel ordering being wrong: Users changing to DSM protocols and the model not following, so they get odd behavior, and possibly fix it by changing Tx modes. This may need further investigation.

There were major bugs about the RX1002 not binding to Deviation. I've asked for help with those: deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/4422...02-not-binding#33610

There is a bug with the V323 assigned to victzh that still needs to be worked out.

Finally, PB needs to look at a report about the Devo12 not creating an errors.txt file.

Details on what I did

I went through pretty much all the issues, and did the following:
  • Asked for feedback on any that weren't clear
  • Closed any I could easily verify were fixed or user error
  • Closed any duplicates, adding reference to the other issue
  • Assigned remaining old issues to me and requested feedback
  • Changed everything else from new to acknowledged

Many of the old issues don't have a reporter, so we may not get any feedback. I've asked for help on these issues: deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/4421...on-bug-reports#33609

Summary of open issues

62 open issus
  • 18 feature requests
  • 15 minor bugs
    • 7 awaiting feedback
    • 2 manual isses (assigned to me)
    • 1 DSM telemetry issue (fixed in Indigo's DSM branch, assigned to Indigo)
    • 2 random issues assigned to Indigo
    • 1 from me, can wait.
    • 2 misc. assigned to me for confirmation.
  • 25 major bug
    • 14 awaiting feedback
    • 4 DSM/DEVO telemetry issues assigend to indigo1
    • 2 are manual fixes, assigned to me
    • 2 CC2500 issues assigned to me
    • 2 NRF24L01 issues assigned to victzh (both created by me)
    • 1 Devo12 issue with errors.txt not being generated, assigned to PB
  • 4 crash bugs (all assigned to me)
    • 3 awaiting feedback
    • 1 CC2500/Skyartec issue

More
08 Jun 2015 16:22 #33636 by BitOne
About the manual, I already talked about it, but you can really have some great output from a RST source. Take a look a the Symfony2 manual for example:
symfony.com/pdf/Symfony_book_2.7.pdf

I understand that it would come with a big cost for the non-techie contributor, but it would help so much, even for the diff between platform as the source is just text.

Moreover, it can be translated to a nice website:
symfony.com/doc/2.7/book/http_fundamentals.html

The source code looks like that:
raw.githubusercontent.com/symfony/symfon...ttp_fundamentals.rst

More
08 Jun 2015 17:22 #33638 by PhracturedBlue
We'd need to try it. RST looks like it may be sufficient for our manual. It looks like it supports references, TOC, tables, lists, and images. I can't tell how well pagebreaks are supported. They aren't listed in the manual but it appears there is a pageBreak keyword for rst2pdf. It seems pagebreaks aren't used by Symfony (which makes the manual hard to follow with weird breaks in some places). I haven't been able to determine if there is a method to flow text around images. All examples seem to have either text or images, but not both. The manual implies this may work though: "The values "left", "center", and "right" control an image's horizontal alignment, allowing the image to float and have the text flow around it. The specific behavior depends upon the browser or rendering software used."

I'd be sad to lose the WYSIWYG ability, but it would definitely making managing multiple variants of the manual easier.

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds