Is a Deviation v4.1 release on the near horizon?

More
13 Jun 2015 05:19 #33985 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Is a Deviation v4.1 release on the near horizon?
Did you try editing the devo.style file and replacing 'Times-Roman' with 'Serif'? the serif font seems larger than Times-Roman for the same point size on my box, so it may mess up formatting

I didn't have to do anything special to get it to work. It just seems to work out of the box on my Ubuntu box. Probably because I have msttcorefonts installed. I think the Liberation-Serif font is modeled after TimesNewRoman, and is quite good and free, so that may be an option

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Jun 2015 05:23 #33986 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Is a Deviation v4.1 release on the near horizon?
by the way is the a difference between using pandoc to create latex and using 'make latex' to do the same?

More
13 Jun 2015 05:40 #33987 by mwm
No, I deleted the Roman- from Times-Roman- (note the trailing '-'), then replaced Oblique with Italic. I assume you wrote the devo.style file, so choose those font names. Just to be confusing, my book of typefaces uses Times-Roman-Italic, which neither set has.

Care to try the names that work for me on your system? That Google doesn't find references to Times-Roman-Oblique makes me think that's something specific to your system, not Ubuntu. Or maybe Ubuntu added them to a system-wide font map file for some reason.

And yes, pandoc produces different output. It's a format (mostly markup) converter that can convert to output formats. It's got it's own set of readers and writers.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
13 Jun 2015 15:59 #34018 by PhracturedBlue
yes I meant is there a structural difference in the latex generated by pandoc vs sphinx? Sphinx is certainly required for our project now. I have added several customizations in the forms of new directives, and we need Sphinx t parse them. I'm wondering if there is some benefit to pandoc that I'm missing.

I've checked in all chapters for the devo8 manual now. There is still quite a bit of format cleanup to do and proof-reading, but overall it seems to be fine. I'll start work on merging the devo10 manual next.

More
13 Jun 2015 17:46 #34030 by mwm
You'd have to check it to be sure, but it wouldn't surprise me. Sphinx is designed to generate documents from their extended RsT, whereas pandoc is designed to translate between a slew of document formats (including it's extended MD, of course).

On the other hand, LaTeX is pretty pure markup, with the presentation tied to the document type, so the structure of the LaTeX may be so obvious that they wind up being the same.

More
14 Jun 2015 01:55 #34039 by PhracturedBlue
Ok, I finished the merge, but the docs really need a serious review to find places where I didn't merge them properly.

Note that I've moved the repo to deviation-manual-old, and I created a new repo: deviation-manual-rst. I decided I didn't want the fodt stuff in the history of the new repo, so this is preferable. You'll need to clone the new repo.

Here are the pdf files as things stand today.

bitbucket.org/deviationtx/deviation-manu...tion8UsersManual.pdf
bitbucket.org/deviationtx/deviation-manu...ion10UsersManual.pdf

More
14 Jun 2015 05:25 #34045 by mwm
Ok, a first review of the Devo 10 manual. These are all things that I think need to be changed. Anything I was positive needed to change and new what to plug in has been turned into a pull request.

First, I'm getting a bunch of errors about "Unknown target name". I get the same errors on the Devo8 build.

It seems like all of the bolditalic paragraphs need a newline in front of them.

The list of "other" protocols in the intro is missing a lot of things, but listing them all would make it really long. Maybe change it to say "many other protocols", and then before the list "Some of the most popular are:" I'd add FrSky to the list, and drop Skyartec and HiSky mostly because I have no idea how popular they are.

The third paragraph of legal status & copyright section should probably be merged into the first paragraph of that section. The last paragraph of this section looks odd. Why is it bold/italic? And it also needs a blank line in front of it.

The next-to-last paragraph in the chapter on reporting bugs looks like it should be a bullet list instead of inline.

Second paragraph in the installation chapter says "As a result of memory limitations with the Devo12 firmware, ..." Shouldn't that be Devo7e? Or maybe Devo12E?

I suspect we want to change references to the Devo12 to say Devo12E. Or possibly "Devo12 models" if it's true for all of them.

First image in the main page chapter has the arrow for "Throttle Stick position" pointing to the toggle icon.

The title of the section on navigating with physical buttons should probably be different for this manual. Best would be to just make this section part of the previous chapter. Not much point in having a section 6.1 without a section 6.2 to go with it.

The page that the Main Menu chapter starts on actually starts with the text ":orphan". Looks like an artifact from sphinx. This looks like the source of all the "unknown target" errors, both because the names match text on this page, and because what looks like they should be links are busted.

The name "template" to refer to the None/Simple/Expo&Dual-Rate/Complex choices in the model menu chapter is confusing, considering what's int he template directory.. I tend to refer to the collection of mixers on a channel a "mix", and this as the "mix type". That's an improvement, but not much of one.

Looks like the paragraph about Mux's in the cyclic template section of the model menu chapter should have bullet list, not an inline list. Might also want to point out in the multiply mux that what's multiplied are the percentages, so a multiply mux with a value of 50 would reduce the input value by 50%.

The swash configuration section, next to last paragraph has another list that looks like it should be a bullet list instead of inline.

Orphaned titles: [/b
Generic Settings, Input Monitor, Simple Template, Trims & Virtual Inputs (Adv GUI),
Gyro Sensitivity

Broken References:
"Protocols" in the telemetry monitor section, and Model Setup section under Protocol & Bind/Re-Init
"Mixer" in the third paragraph of the Model menu chapter.
"USB & FIle System" in the Model Setup section, under Icon.
"Model setup ..." in the third paragraph of the Mixer (Adv GUI) section.
"Available Curves" and "Curve editing" in 9.2.6, under Curve.
"Protocol: PPM" and "Model setup..." in the Slave Mode section.

More
14 Jun 2015 14:45 #34058 by PhracturedBlue
Thanks. FYI, you don't need to submit pull requests for changes to the text. Feel free to just go at it. If you want to do structural changes that may impact the build system, then I'd like to see them 1st.

I see the unkown target stuff. I just replaced it with :ref: syntax (recommended by sphinx). That causes duplicate reference messages (due to how the pdf is generated). I'll try to figure out how to make those go away, but they are harmless.

basically anytime you use a directive (.. <something>) it should have a new-line before and after (the lines after are sometimes arguments in which case no new line should be used)

The parser doesn't strictly enforce that though, so I got lazy sometimes. Also note that my custom directives (macro, if, elseif, endif) do not have this limitation. It is generally preferred that we still follow the above rule (if makes the bitbuket parser happy for instance) but there are times when it is necessary to not have the space (like conditional text in a table or paragraph

In the Devo10 manual anything that mentions the Devo12 should likely be disabled. the 12E is basically the same as the Devo10 but with a couple more inputs. It isn't substantially different like the Devo 12/12S

I fixed the :orphan: issue (looks like a sphinx bug...Documentation is uncelar.

I fixed the main-page image

Feel free to change 'template' to 'mix-type' (and any of the other changes you think might improve readability)

More
14 Jun 2015 19:16 #34072 by mwm
Ok, I've fixed everything I mentioned earlier, except the orphans and references. I reorged the navigation chapter pretty heavily, so that's a pull request.

Given the popularity of the 7E, I think pulling it out as a separate manual would be worthwhile. If you agree, I'd be glad to make a pull request for that.

More
14 Jun 2015 19:46 #34073 by PhracturedBlue
I'd rather not. the differences between the 7e and 10 are not large enough in my opinion to warrant another set of conditionals to maintain throughout the manual. I'll probably need to do a new manual for the f12e/f7 at some point, but otherwise I'd rather keep the extra work where it pays off. Note that conditionals cannot be nested, and that there is no 'else' condition, only 'elseif'.

More
15 Jun 2015 02:48 - 15 Jun 2015 02:50 #34093 by PhracturedBlue
I've setup a nightly cron to build the Devo10 and Devo8 manuals (in html format only) and upload them to the site. The HTML manuals are now linked in the menu-bar on the left. I haven't spent too much time looking at the html, but it generally seems to render ok in Chrome.
Last edit: 15 Jun 2015 02:50 by PhracturedBlue.

More
16 Jun 2015 04:23 #34157 by FDR
Where to post documentation errors?
DavidJEK found one:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...e-no-auto-bind#34144

The picture at the end of the 2.1 New Installation sayt that the media directory only needed for the DEVO 6/8, which is wrong, or at least valid only in the DEVO 6/8/12 manual...

More
16 Jun 2015 04:43 #34158 by mwm

FDR wrote: Where to post documentation errors

It's a bug, so use the bug tracker link in the menu.

More
16 Jun 2015 12:03 #34171 by PhracturedBlue
I fixed this one already though.

More
18 Jun 2015 12:34 #34286 by mwm
So how are you feeling about the open issues and a release? Do those need more work, or is it just a matter of getting the manual up to snuff?

More
18 Jun 2015 12:50 #34288 by PhracturedBlue
Overall things are probably ok. Still need to do something about DEVO and DSM protocol telemetry. I think there is still a crash bug in the module detection code (I don't see it in the bug reports though). And I need to deal with a couple things that were identified on the F12E. However, the big remaining item is the manual.

One of the benefits of the rst method is that tracking changes to the manual is much easier, which should make translation easier as well. I need to setup a process to support building manual translations.

More
18 Jun 2015 12:53 #34289 by mwm
Actually, it looks like we have a regression in the DSM code. I've got an issue with the AR6210 not connecting properly with the lastest nightly, but working fine with 4.0.1. Since he also had problems with the WK2801 Rx (since fixed), I'm asking for one last bit of details from him, then I'll get a new issue without all the notes take to sort out the WK issue and what was really going on with the AR6210. And hopefully someone with an AR6210 can look into it.

More
18 Jun 2015 13:32 - 18 Jun 2015 13:33 #34291 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Is a Deviation v4.1 release on the near horizon?
@Mike
Is it Nightly-Build from deviationtx-team? Not Indigo latest test build?
You could not bind / connect when powering on or was it in between (ground)? I may be able to re-test your issue with my AR6210+TM. I also have AR600+TM.

@PhracturedBlue:
Are your plans to do a V4.1 release with the current DSM + telemetry code as of nightly-build (deviationtx-team) which seems to be somehow rocking solid with my AR8000 + TM1000 so far

or

are your plans to already merge in pull request #48 Indigos DSM + WK protocol changes

without

further multiple weeks / months further ground + in-flight tests?

I would like to suggest go the route with small steps (V4.2, 4.3...), that is to rls current code as of V4.1 and have a little bit more time for tests on Indigo's code improvements.

I definitly have to re-test the "Fades A 255->0 number reset" issue which is working fine so far with nightly-build with latest test build.

My feeling is that there are not that many testers with the appropriate Spektrum receiver equipment + time :(
My understanding is, that ground tests alone with 100uw/300uw/1mw are not enough alone when you are doing bigger protocol code changes as of the test builds.

Thomas
Last edit: 18 Jun 2015 13:33 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
18 Jun 2015 13:47 #34293 by mwm
It's "my" issue in that I assigned it to me while I sorted things out. I don't have an AR62010. He also opened a forum thread you replied to. We've sorted out the WK2801 issue.

The current report is with the last nightly build. Once you bind, if you turn on the Tx and then the Rx, the Rx doesn't connect. If you turn them on in the opposite order, it connects. Using 4.0.1, both sequences connects. If you use DSMX instead of DSM2, both sequences connect.

My feeling on the DSM code is that we ought to update whatever the latest code from Indigo is with code from the default, and then build two release candidates for people to test: one from default and then his. We can decide which we want to release later. On the other hand, since I don't think there's anything in the 4.0.1 DSM code that isn't in the current nighly, I'm fine with releasing it as is and sorting out the DSM code later.

More
19 Jun 2015 04:45 #34339 by vlad_vy
I think DSM protocol has not changes from v4.0.1 except telemetry parsing. I haven't any problems with bind at any order and nigthly builds (AR6210, AR8000). Usually I turn on the Tx and then the Rx.

I have minor corrections for DSM protocol. With my limited testing it provide much less number of frame losses (without holds) at ground test (AR6210, 30m, 100uW). But I have problem to fit DSM into Devo7e with use parse_telemetry_packet(), with parse_telemetry_packet(packet) it fit into Devo7e.

Also, changed DEVO protocol and RF Scanner.

www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...etry?start=440#34265

Time to create page: 0.064 seconds