Devo 12s 3in1 / 4in1 RF module neat installation.

More
27 Jul 2016 21:55 #52222 by demonion
Replied by demonion on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Hi, I bought the module rf 3in1 from banggood, to connect into my devo 8s, but Ican´t find any information for the connection pins, this module not work in devo8? I try read all this forum, but my english don´t is perfect, and i don´t find any request for the connection with a devo 8, if you can guide me please??

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2016 03:44 - 28 Jul 2016 03:51 #52227 by Leo Li
Last edit: 28 Jul 2016 03:51 by Leo Li.

More
29 Jul 2016 18:31 #52271 by robpur
Replied by robpur on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Installed a 3in1 module in my Devo 7E. Soldering to the processor was not easy, but I got it done and everything is working. I masked off adjacent pins with Kapton tape as described elsewhere, soldered on 30AWG wire wrap wire, and then secured the wire to the processor with hot glue. I used the smallest tip I could find for my old Weller soldering iron, but a smaller tip would have been nice.

www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B5YGY0/ref...01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The hardest part was being able to see. I put a pair of 2 power reading glasses over my regular glasses and struggled to see the pin clearly. I also used a hand held magnifying glass for inspection, but it was still a bit of a guessing game. I have old eyes and if I ever have to solder something so small again I’m going to find more magnification. In the end I took a pic and enlarged it on my computer to inspect for solder bridges before powering up.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

More
29 Jul 2016 20:05 #52273 by Terrapin88
Replied by Terrapin88 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Looks like you did a good job, robpur. Nice and clean.

I have a 7E that I haven't done the range mod to yet. I've had the nRF and A7105 modules in my BG cart for a couple of days now trying to decide to use them or one of the multi modules. I almost wish I hadn't heard of the 3in1 and 4in1 modules because my choice was easier before I did. lol
I've been reading as much as I can find about the 2 multi modules. It looks like the 3in1 is the best choice for my 7E.

More
29 Jul 2016 20:30 - 29 Jul 2016 20:44 #52275 by robpur
It would be an easy choice for me. This is my second 7E. I installed two separate modules in my first one and a 3 in 1 in my second one. The 3 in 1 is easier to install since there's fewer wires, and you don't have to solder multiple wires to single points. If you don't want to solder to the processor pin then just use two of the modules within the 3 in 1 module. That's what I did while waiting for a soldering tip to arrive. I did the power mod on both 7Es. It's easy to do with conductive ink, but you have to be neat and not get the ink where it shouldn't be. I struggled with my first one trying to paint the conductive ink on with a tooth pick. The second one was easy. I dipped a small flat bladed screwdriver into the ink, touched the top of the surface mount component with it, and I was done. The blade on the screwdriver was the same size as the component to be bridged. Just be sure to clean all the flux off of the component before applying conductive ink. I played with the idea of using conductive ink or conductive glue for the processor attachment, but after some experimentation I realized that I just had to man up and use molten metal to get the job done.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2016 20:44 by robpur.

More
29 Jul 2016 21:13 #52276 by Terrapin88

robpur wrote: I dipped a small flat bladed screwdriver into the ink, touched the top of the surface mount component with it, and I was done. The blade on the screwdriver was the same size as the component to be bridged.

I'm pretty good with soldering, just haven't had to desolder something as small as that little diode so I am not really looking forward to it. I have a tip I can grind down if I need to.
Am I understanding you right that you did not remove the component, but instead just bridged it's connectors with conductive ink? That sounds ridiculously easy.

More
29 Jul 2016 21:24 #52277 by robpur
Yep, that's what I did. No need to remove the component. This is the conductive ink I used.

www.amazon.com/MG-Chemicals-841-P-Conduc...words=conductive+ink

Others have reported using conductive glue from eBay which is much cheaper. I ordered some but it's way too thick. Perhaps mine was dried out. I've seen reports that conductive glue from Banggood doesn't work, that it's not conductive, doesn't dry, and Banggood may have mixed it up with thermal compound.

More
29 Jul 2016 22:15 #52278 by Terrapin88
Huh. This is the first time I've heard of doing it that way. Guess I've been reading the wrong threads. :)

Thanks for the info and the link. I'll give it a shot. I read about the bad ink or glue from BG. I might try my local auto parts stores for some.

More
30 Jul 2016 00:07 #52279 by Fer
Replied by Fer on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

Terrapin88 wrote: I almost wish I hadn't heard of the 3in1 and 4in1 modules because my choice was easier before I did. lol
I've been reading as much as I can find about the 2 multi modules.

I know exactly what you mean. I am in the same situation. Only that i own a DEVO 10.

I contacted Banggood to ask them if they are stocking the DEVO 10 version of the 4 in 1 module, and they sayed they will inform the salesman about it. Whatever that may mean.
Meanwhile i can not purchase it from taobao, because i don't speak the language. I assume i will have to purchase the 3 in 1 sooner or later, unless someone stocks the DEVO 10 4 in1.

Also, robpur did a very nice job. Looking at the pics it looks like easy job, but it isn't.

More
30 Jul 2016 01:33 - 30 Jul 2016 05:59 #52280 by Terrapin88
I looked for a used or cheap Devo 10, but for the price I was willing to pay I could only find them in white, and I prefer black. I found my 7e on ebay from a US seller that got it in a RTF package and already had a 10. I offered him $35 shipped and he agreed. Hard for me to say no at that price. If I come across a black 10 for around 100 bucks, I might grab it. I think I prefer the larger size.

I'm going to grab the 3in1 and just do the range mod on the 7E's stock CYRF. I hear you on not wanting to wait. I found this 4in1 for you but it's more $$. That must be the "I want one now!" price.

www.amazon.com/Usmile%C2%AE-NRF24L01-CYR...mitter/dp/B01FX73IJE
Last edit: 30 Jul 2016 05:59 by Terrapin88.

More
30 Jul 2016 07:03 #52283 by D_an_W
Replied by D_an_W on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
I'm sure when I got the email subscription to this thread it said "Hideous white" :whistle:

Fortunately for me hideous white is my favourite colour so I go one cheap ;)

*** Walkera Devo 10 * 4-in-1 Module * Deviation v5 *** *** Walkera Devo 7E * A7105 Module * 2x 3 Way Switches * Power Mod * Deviation v5 ***

More
30 Jul 2016 08:13 #52285 by Terrapin88

D_an_W wrote: I'm sure when I got the email subscription to this thread it said "Hideous white" :whistle:

Yeah, you caught me. I know, though strange as it seems to me, not everyone believes TX's should be black. I reworded my post so as not to cause a stir with the white TX crowd. Looks like I was too slow on the draw, though. :silly:

It is very fortunate that you prefer white. I've just seen a new white Devo 10 on US Ebay for $100 shipped with a receiver and a LiFe battery. After that they hover around $110ish shipped. The Devo 10 seems like a solid deal especially in that price range and considering the 3in1 and 4in1 modules that are available. :)

More
01 Aug 2016 09:02 #52362 by bazsound
Replied by bazsound on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

Terrapin88 wrote:

D_an_W wrote: I'm sure when I got the email subscription to this thread it said "Hideous white" :whistle:

Yeah, you caught me. I know, though strange as it seems to me, not everyone believes TX's should be black. I reworded my post so as not to cause a stir with the white TX crowd. Looks like I was too slow on the draw, though. :silly:

It is very fortunate that you prefer white. I've just seen a new white Devo 10 on US Ebay for $100 shipped with a receiver and a LiFe battery. After that they hover around $110ish shipped. The Devo 10 seems like a solid deal especially in that price range and considering the 3in1 and 4in1 modules that are available. :)

What! and i thought i got a good deal. £77 shipped to UK from tomtop,com without battery, and without reciever.

$100 is £75

I just got mine and love it, despite what alot of people say about the programming its actually fairly easy once you understand, though im sure other tx's have a bit more intuitive systems but look at the price of an equivelent spectrum almost 3 times the price.

I dont mind it being white. More concerned with functionality rather than looks

More
02 Aug 2016 10:28 #52383 by speedy@compjuter.nl
Replied by speedy@compjuter.nl on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Hello Guys,

I have installed a 3 in 1 module in my Devo 10, but i have destroyed the solder point B7. Now i only have A13 and A14 to connecting my module to.

Is there another Connection possible on the Devo 10 Board to connect my module besides A13 and A 14?

More
02 Aug 2016 18:26 - 02 Aug 2016 18:29 #52392 by dononeness
Replied by dononeness on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
Hello Everyone - Would you mind to suggest the type of soldering iron that can easily work on such tiny area of DEVO 10 and the 3-IN-1 module and where to get it? Does Banggood carry such type? I have a Hakko FX-901 wireless but the tip seems to be large to work on for a not very good soldering skill like me. Thank You.
Last edit: 02 Aug 2016 18:29 by dononeness.

More
02 Aug 2016 18:59 #52394 by webbbn
Replied by webbbn on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

dononeness wrote: Hello Everyone - Would you mind to suggest the type of soldering iron that can easily work on such tiny area of DEVO 10 and the 3-IN-1 module and where to get it? Does Banggood carry such type? I have a Hakko FX-901 wireless but the tip seems to be large to work on for a not very good soldering skill like me. Thank You.

I have an old Weller that I can get tips down to 1/64" for. The closest equivalent I can find is this . It's a very good soldering iron that I've had for decades without a problem.

I also have one of these cheaper brands , which work okay, but the tips don't last nearly as long.

If you're going to do much soldering it's important to have something with variable temperature and a wide selection of tips.

More
02 Aug 2016 20:49 #52397 by HappyHarry
Replied by HappyHarry on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module
if you go with the yihua dual setup linked above, or the extremely cheap and great value yihua hakko 936 clone from hobbyking (they have different voltages and plugs in the regional stores so be sure to choose the correct one for your part of the world) you will have a very good setup, as mentioned the tips supplied with the iron aren't the best (thougn they are servicable, and cheap for replacements) but the good news is genuine hakko tips fit perfectly, and for soldering small stuff like this I use either a 1.8mm round or a 2mm chisel, or even a 2mm hoof depending on what/where I'm soldering too.

More
02 Aug 2016 23:55 #52399 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

dononeness wrote: Hello Everyone - Would you mind to suggest the type of soldering iron that can easily work on such tiny area of DEVO 10 and the 3-IN-1 module and where to get it? Does Banggood carry such type? I have a Hakko FX-901 wireless but the tip seems to be large to work on for a not very good soldering skill like me. Thank You.

I used Goot TQ-95 with TQ-77RT-SB fine tip (R 0.3), it works fine with me!! :)

More
03 Aug 2016 00:04 #52400 by dc59
Replied by dc59 on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

speedy@compjuter.nl wrote: Hello Guys,

I have installed a 3 in 1 module in my Devo 10, but i have destroyed the solder point B7. Now i only have A13 and A14 to connecting my module to.

Is there another Connection possible on the Devo 10 Board to connect my module besides A13 and A 14?

I think you can try to use B6 pin, regarding devo 10 hardware wiki , B6 is unused, hope it could help.

Attachments:

More
03 Aug 2016 12:29 #52415 by bazsound
Replied by bazsound on topic 3in1 / 4in1 RF module

webbbn wrote:

I have an old Weller that I can get tips down to 1/64" for. The closest equivalent I can find is this . It's a very good soldering iron that I've had for decades without a problem.

I also have one of these cheaper brands , which work okay, but the tips don't last nearly as long.

If you're going to do much soldering it's important to have something with variable temperature and a wide selection of tips.

the smaller tips may be easier to get into tight spaces but you may have trouble soldering with them due to lack of thermal mass. harder to transfer enough heat to melt solder.

I did fine with i think its a 1mm ball point soldering tip, the 3mm chisel i had was a bit chunky but the pointed 1mm was fine

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds