Can't bind to Lemon RX DSMX and DSM2 receiver

More
03 May 2016 09:41 #47636 by bombarie
I got two Lemon RX receivers, a DSM2 compatible one and a DSMX compatible one. They both will not bind to my Devo 7e running a nightly build 4.0.1. (92ad664). When binding, the rapidly flashing LED on the receiver stopped flashing, flashed five times and then went dark. I'd see the occasional seemingly random blink from the LED, but it never became solid red to indicate a successful bind.

I was running a nightly build 4.0.1. (92ad664) at this point. I had previously bought an OrangeRx R615X (DSMX/DSM2 compatible) and this one bound just fine.

I've also upgraded my Devo7e with DEVO 8 or 12 to DEVO 8S or 12S Upgrade Module module for better range (this may become relevant later in this post). The upgrade seems to be performing just fine with my OrangeRX receiver. I have some intermittent drops of reception (for a fraction of a second) but I that's probably not relevant right now.

I went searching and found a ticket in the DeviationTX bugtracker mentioning that someone had problems binding to the LemonRX's and fixed this by temporarily going back to the original 4.0.1. release version. I did this yesterday but ran into an issue. When starting the Devo 7e I get a 'missing modules' error. After dismissing this dialog I go over to my models, open a new model and want to bind with the LemonRX receivers, BUT.. next to the protocol box it doesn't say 'Bind', but instead it says 'Re-Init'. Is that how it was in the earlier version of 4.0.1.? OR - as I'm suspecting - does this somehow have to do with the Devo10 upgrade module not being recognized correctly by the Devo7e on 4.0.1.? Is there a particular way I should identify this in the tx.ini?

Apologies for asking two questions at a time. First and foremost I'd like to be able to bind to the LemonRX receivers. If rolling back to the original 4.0.1. would allow this and my upgrade module is standing in the way, what might be the next step?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 May 2016 09:53 #47637 by Thomas.Heiss
Replied by Thomas.Heiss on topic Can't bind to Lemon RX DSMX and DSM2 receiver
How many channel settings?

Have you tried DSM A1 (if B2 standard not successful) option from 409898c commit within protocol popup dialog?

More
03 May 2016 10:57 - 03 May 2016 10:58 #47643 by bombarie
Replied by bombarie on topic Can't bind to Lemon RX DSMX and DSM2 receiver
I'm afraid I don't understand your question. The terms DSM A1 / B2 are new to me . Is the 409898c commit the first 4.0.1. release commit? How do I access that?
As for channels, I changed between setting the channels to 6 or 7.

On a different note, is there a place where all nightly builds are archived? The current lineup ( www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/13-nightly-builds ) only shows the last few days. Was wondering if I could start digging back in time.
Last edit: 03 May 2016 10:58 by bombarie.

More
03 May 2016 11:22 #47644 by bombarie
Those 'DSM A1 / B2' terms you used sent me on a fruitful google search. It brought me to this Mantis BugID: www.deviationtx.com/mantisbt/view.php?id=627

I had never considered changing the 'Fixed ID' value. I set it to 'None' by deleting all the numbers and choosing 'Done' and now the receivers do bind!

The DSMX receiver doesn't bind on DSMX protocol but I had read somewhere that you should just choose the DSM2 protocol. It binds just fine on the DSM2 protocol. The DSM2 receiver does exhibit a quirk; it binds, but when I power cycle it (of course removing the bind plug), it will re-enter bind mode. But that's probably an issue with the RX itself, right?

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction and I hope this helps anyone else.

More
03 May 2016 11:42 - 03 May 2016 11:43 #47645 by Thomas.Heiss
No, nightly-builds are not archived many days. Just a view.
You would have to checkout sources manually for a specific revision. But there is no need for this in your case.

You are fine to download rls 5.0 (latest nightly build tagged from).

409898c is of course not the first nightly-build commit :-)
But its the specific commit version where Indigo introduced the alternative bind option.
Usually Spektrum receivers seem to just bind fine in default (B2) option mode (not selectable).
He had it switched testwise in one of his DSM protocol test-builds (A1 default, B2 selectable) but users like me tested it and found out that most Spektrum 6CH receivers (I have three different) did not bind anymore with default A1 option.
Last edit: 03 May 2016 11:43 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
03 May 2016 11:54 #47646 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Can't bind to Lemon RX DSMX and DSM2 receiver
These options have sense if telemetry enabled. If telemetry disabled, only number of channels has importance (up to 7, or more than 7) .

More
03 May 2016 11:58 #47648 by Thomas.Heiss
Thanks vlad for pointing this out. Yes I had TM1000 on all my 3 RX 6CH models.

More
03 May 2016 12:29 #47651 by bombarie
Thanks for clearing that up guys. I'll install 5.0 shortly. Onwards!

More
07 May 2016 10:14 #47956 by huge
Hello,
i am also having the intermitend reception/tranmistion drops, could you fix that?
regards

More
07 May 2016 10:49 - 07 May 2016 11:00 #47957 by Thomas.Heiss
Last edit: 07 May 2016 11:00 by Thomas.Heiss.

More
09 May 2016 07:35 #48096 by bombarie
Following Thomas Heiss' link above ( www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...th-lemonrx-sat#47958 ) he mentions that a carbon fiber frame might attenuate RF signals, which never occurred to me. Interesting, thanks for that.

I've flown a lot this weekend without any hickups with the LemonRX DSMX-compatible receiver on another frame which is completely hard-plastic, and what I did differently is that I added some big electrolytic capacitors. Googling on the path of brown-outs I read up a bit on where to place which kinds of capacitors. I don't have any golden rule yet but sifting through the posts I decided on placing a 1000uF 25V capacitor on the main power leads (where the LiPo connects to the PDB) and a 2200uF 16V cap to a spare servo lead on the flight controller. This should smooth out spikes and also fill in any dips which occur for instance by punching the throttle.

I also read that the active damping / dampening light setting, which many ESCs have, can create a lot of noise on the power train of a copter. Some people add extra 220uf caps to the +/- leads of the ESC to smooth this out. Some ESCs have these already. The quad I flew with this weekend didn't have active damping enabled, the quad that crashed last week did. So, I should do some more testing I guess but maybe this information will help someone.

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds