Small / Easy?? Feature request or 2 !

More
14 Jan 2013 18:35 #5018 by JFS737
I am being presumptuous, as I know nothing of the work you must do in order to improve my life. But here is a thought or 2 in case no one has put it forth yet and you find yourself bored...

I understand that the power switch is more electronic than physical, and as I have started flying with LIFEPO batts in my TX (DEVO 10) I was wondering how hard it would be to put a Time out timer on the transmitter? In other words, if nothing is touched for say 30 mins... or an hour or 2... then the unit powers down... maybe with a warning chime or 2. This might save me a battery pack some day.

The other thought is that I love the voltage alarms for the TX but it seems when the TX voltage goes LOW it only flashes the display of volts on/off. Can it be made to make a chime and or vibrate when the voltage hits an alarm?

Don't get me wrong, I am loving Deviation, thanks... I understand there are many desires out there and even with no changes ever, I THANK YOU.

Regards,
John

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2013 18:48 - 14 Jan 2013 18:49 #5020 by sbstnp
Replied by sbstnp on topic Small / Easy?? Feature request or 2 !
I have the voltage alarm implemented with a configurable alert interval on my Devo10. All I have to do is clean it up a bit and create a pull request for PB. Stay tuned, I know PB is very busy atm with the Devo 7E port so it may take a while.

No idea how to do the inactivity alert/powerdown yet, I'm still reading code.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
FrSky Taranis + TBS Crossfire
Last edit: 14 Jan 2013 18:49 by sbstnp.

More
14 Jan 2013 19:30 #5021 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Small / Easy?? Feature request or 2 !
It is not possible to implement a power-down while the Tx is in the 'on' mode.
The way the switch works is that when the switch is 'on' the Tx power control is bypassed and the Tx will be powered on.
When the switch is 'off' a pin on the MCU is pulled up indicating the off state. During this mode, the MCU is responsible for maintaining power. The mcu does the necessary saving and then pulls the output low, shutting down the MCU.

So the MCU can keep the Tx on when the switch is in the off position, but cannot power off the tx while the switch is in the 'on position.

We could change the firmware so that the on/off switch behaves more like a momentary switch. you would turn it on, wait for it to start, then turn it off. To turn off the tx, you would toggle the on/off switch again. In a usage mode like this, you could auto power down the Tx after an idle time, but I'm not sure it is a good idea.

More
15 Jan 2013 01:48 #5029 by donato.jun
Replied by donato.jun on topic Small / Easy?? Feature request or 2 !
I think a continuous non-stop inactivity alarm is a better idea :)

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
15 Jan 2013 06:31 #5036 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Small / Easy?? Feature request or 2 !
But you might not hear it if the tx is in his case...

More
16 Jan 2013 17:27 #5070 by JFS737
Replied by JFS737 on topic Small / Easy?? Feature request or 2 !
Thanks all,
Yes, you may not hear it... like maybe you're at work or gone for a day or 2. Just trying to get a failsafe to prevent the battery being drawn down to zero. Maybe I should just not be stupid, that would also work. Thanks for looking into it and looking forward to the batt alarm.

Regards,
John

More
16 Jan 2013 21:10 - 16 Jan 2013 21:19 #5075 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic Small / Easy?? Feature request or 2 !

JFS737 wrote: Just trying to get a failsafe to prevent the battery being drawn down to zero.

I've just coded a release that switch off the TX 3 minutes (time configurable in the tx.ini) after the critical battery alarm.
If you're able to compile a release (and can't wait for the next official release), you may try it here:
bitbucket.org/destructionBlack/deviationdevo10
Be warn that this switch off even while you are flying!
This release also beeps every X seconds when the battery voltage is too low.
It not only works for the Devo10 but also for the 6 & 8.

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 16 Jan 2013 21:19 by domcars0.

More
16 Jan 2013 21:22 - 16 Jan 2013 21:25 #5077 by sbstnp

domcars0 wrote:

JFS737 wrote: Just trying to get a failsafe to prevent the battery being drawn down to zero.

I've just coded a release that switch off the TX 3 minutes (time configurable in the tx.ini) after the critical battery alarm.
If you're able to compile a release (and can't wait for the next official release), you may try it here:
bitbucket.org/destructionBlack/deviationdevo10
Be warn that this switch off even while you are flying!
This release also beeps every X seconds when the battery voltage is too low.
It not only works for the Devo10 but also for the 6 & 8.

IMO this is too dangerous. A malfunction would put people in danger or destroy your aircraft.

Even with your aircraft benched, loss of signal could trigger a failsafe and throttle up your heli or plane and either harm you or your property.

I don't think it's wise to have an auto turn off. I'd rather ruin a battery.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 16 Jan 2013 21:25 by sbstnp.

More
16 Jan 2013 21:44 - 16 Jan 2013 21:54 #5081 by domcars0
I think that flying 3mns after the critical battery alarm is something
that a "normal" guy will never do ... abnormal guys can do anything :blink:
In my code, I propose that in case of 'momentarily' low battery voltage, shutdown counter is stopped if voltage go up to critical voltage and reset if voltage go up to critical voltage plus 200mV.

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 16 Jan 2013 21:54 by domcars0.

More
17 Jan 2013 06:54 #5099 by sbstnp

domcars0 wrote: I think that flying 3mns after the critical battery alarm is something
that a "normal" guy will never do ... abnormal guys can do anything :blink:
In my code, I propose that in case of 'momentarily' low battery voltage, shutdown counter is stopped if voltage go up to critical voltage and reset if voltage go up to critical voltage plus 200mV.

When I hear these arguments I have only one image in front of my eyes: my 3yo son who loves to orbit around me while I'm working on something. Can you imagine a 700 class heli (even with the blades removed) spinning up in the face of a little boy?

I think we must consider safety of people first.

Please, everyone who wants to contribute, before implementing something 'cool' ask around, what's safe for you might not be for another.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9

More
17 Jan 2013 07:21 #5100 by JFS737
Replied by JFS737 on topic Small / Easy?? Feature request or 2 !
I cannot compile but I like what you've done. 3 minutes scares the beans out of me but as long as it's configurable in a .txt .ini file it seems fine. I could put 300 minutes in there or more likely, 90...

Thanks,
John

More
17 Jan 2013 08:03 - 17 Jan 2013 15:50 #5101 by domcars0

sbstnp wrote: When I hear these arguments I have only one image in front of my eyes: my 3yo son who loves to orbit around me while I'm working on something. Can you imagine a 700 class heli (even with the blades removed) spinning up in the face of a little boy?

Sorry sbstnp but I really don't understand what you mean? I don't understand why you think that automatic power off the Tx N minutes after the critical battery alarm is unsafe? RC helicopter is a dangerous hobby, I really think that a guy who is able to setup his heli while the TX battery is beeping battery alarm since more than X minutes is a guy who is able to make his 700 class flying test in his bedroom :evil: ... and we really can't do anything for him, we are not psychiatrist :lol:
You were speaking of "malfunction", but a malfunction of any component or any piece of software in the heli operating chain can put people in danger ? Why do you think particulary to this feature ? Thank's

Last edit: 17 Jan 2013 15:50 by domcars0.

More
17 Jan 2013 11:18 - 17 Jan 2013 11:28 #5107 by sbstnp

domcars0 wrote: and we cant really do something for him, we are not psychiatrist :lol:

Thanks for the insult.

Bottom line is: I personally don't think turning off the TX automatically under any circumstances can be safe.

And I gave you arguments. Please come back with your arguments, maybe I overlooked something.

If you really want to do it cleanly and safely, you keep it disabled by default, and add a configuration option to enable it.

What if my TX ADC malfunctions and instead of displaying the wrong voltage the TX turns off by itself and I crash a 5000 euros plane . Should I come knocking on your door? After all, commit history is kept on bitbucket.org and a court of law could easily access this information.

Before implementing anything remotely unsafe, think about the liabilities.

Devo 10 + 4in1
Spektrum Dx9
Last edit: 17 Jan 2013 11:28 by sbstnp.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
17 Jan 2013 12:03 #5113 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Small / Easy?? Feature request or 2 !
My opinion:
I have lost a lipo because I forgot to shut my (old WK2402) tx down. My fault.
But I want to have the ultimate control over the status of my tx. If I want it to go off, I use the switch. I do not want any automatism to decide this for me.
Ok, I can not go over the physics - if the capacity is used, it will turn off by itself.
But since then I use AA-NiCDs and don't have to take them out of the tx to load them (using the charge plug and a cheap power adaptor). The current the tx draws is less enough to give me large flight time (several hours and I have a second full charged set in my case) and charging takes the night.

If someone still wants to use lipos I would suggest to use some kind of electronic between lipo and tx to shut the current off if the voltage gets too low.

More
17 Jan 2013 16:29 #5120 by clearprop88
Replied by clearprop88 on topic Small / Easy?? Feature request or 2 !
Batteries are cheaper than repairing a crashed heli.
I don't want or need an automatic shutoff of my TX.
If I forget to shut it off the worst that can happen is that I have to recharge or replace my batteries.
I always watch my battery voltage to be sure it's high enough to fly safely.

More
17 Jan 2013 17:53 #5123 by domcars0

sbstnp wrote: After all, commit history is kept on bitbucket.org and a court of law could easily access this information.

:lol:

More
17 Jan 2013 19:25 #5125 by PhracturedBlue
Domcars,
I looked at your patch. It should not work if the Tx switch is in the 'on' position. It should only cause the Tx to go into a reboot. If it works, I'll be honest, I don't understand how.

More
17 Jan 2013 20:22 #5127 by domcars0
Hi PB,
Reading your reply I realized that as I've tested this code only on the emus (too lazy to switch to Windows to flash the TX), I did not take care that the PWR_Shutdown() functions was not the same in the emus and in the Tx :( You are right, until the switch stay on, PWR_Shutdown() only reboot the TX ... In fact switch off the TX with the swith on 'On' seems impossible...
I'm really sorry.
It taught me that I must always test code on the TX before commit it...Thanks

More
17 Mar 2013 20:08 - 17 Mar 2013 20:09 #7875 by domcars0
But I've coded a configurable alarm if nothing (sticks, buttons or screen) is touched for more than X minutes (X configurable from Off to 60mns). I'm very happy with it. It save my battery charge more than once ;)

Last edit: 17 Mar 2013 20:09 by domcars0.

More
17 Mar 2013 20:25 #7877 by PhracturedBlue
Yes you have several useful things in your repo. You also have other things I don't want. I will likely take the alarm stuff after 3.0. I haven't decided about the splash screen. I'll probbaly take some of the other stuff too, but several of suvsuv's "fixes" are incorrect or unhelpful.
Everyone is welcome to their own repo, and they are great for flushing out capabilities that eventually make it back into mine, but yours has too much stuff in it for me ever to merge it wholesale.
I'll go through the items one by one once I've released 3.0 and see which ones I want.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds