Devo 10 need Working Variometer. Options?

More
17 May 2018 12:41 #69276 by Nelicopter
Devo 10 need Working Variometer. Options? was created by Nelicopter
I have a Deviated Devo 10 with the stock module and 3 in 1 module that I added a while ago.
I never thought that I would become interested in Sailplanes and thermalling, and never planned ahead. I was happy flying micro helis and quads, but the time has come and I don't know which direction to go in. My options are.

-Use a Frsky RX with a Frsky vario. (This will have limited range due to the small 3 in 1 module, and may not even work with Deviation firmware?)

-Get a LemonRX LM0052 www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product...th=72&product_id=159 and utilise the main module, whilst being limited to 7 channels on one of the only available variometers on DSMX,

-Bite the bullet and sell my Devo 10 for a Frsky Taranis and then install a multi-module in that, having an arguably better transmitter with a designated brand of variometers.

Can anyone chime in? Is there a way to get a CC2500 that can become the dominant powerful module? Is it possible to swap the guts of a Taranis and stick it in my Devo 10?
Does the Taranis open-tx multimodule support the following models?
-K110
-Eachine H8
I apologise for asking so many questions, I'm sure with enough forum surfing I could get a lot of these figured out myself, but I'm bogged in my final year of school work and don't have time. Anyone with an information charity would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks a lot. B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2018 12:50 #69277 by Nelicopter
Replied by Nelicopter on topic Devo 10 need Working Variometer. Options?
Also here is the 3 in 1 module I installed in 2016 www.banggood.com/CC2500-NRF24L01-A7105-M...der&cur_warehouse=CN

More
19 May 2018 01:43 - 19 May 2018 01:49 #69306 by Nelicopter
Hi, thanks for your reply.
Does this receiver have RSSI, and do you need to do anything special with the Devo 10 to get it to beep along with the Variometer?
Thanks. Looks like this might be the best option. Do a range test with the Frsky and know my limits with the Devo before getting a Taranis.
Last edit: 19 May 2018 01:49 by Nelicopter.

More
19 May 2018 04:32 #69308 by jim_s
Replied by jim_s on topic Devo 10 need Working Variometer. Options?
Wow, I'd been unaware of the LM0052 - sounds perfect, and after pouring through 10's of threads on rcgroups, it sounds like it lives up to its potential. Ordered the 'U' version (same as the LM0052, except no external connector for power system batt - I'm planning to use in a DLG). I'll report back here, once I've had a chance to put it to some use.

@Neilcopter - Thanks for mentioning the LM0052!!

For any other non-powered folks interested in the 'U' version, its at: www.lemon-rx.com/index.php?route=product...th=82&product_id=170

More
19 May 2018 05:06 #69309 by Nelicopter
Happy to help!
Let us know how it goes. I would jump on it, but the scratch built full house E-Sailplane I'm building is 8ch and the LM0052 is only 7ch.... (7 servo's, and a motor...)
:(

More
02 Jun 2018 03:33 #69513 by jim_s
Got the LM0052 in the mail today! Its a wee little thing. I excitedly (but after patiently reading the instructions several times) bound it to my Tx, but things are not off to a good start, I'm afraid. The red LED flashes rapidly to show its in bind mode, and I can bind it to the Tx (sort of...), but immediately upon binding, the LED goes off for 2-3 seconds, then returns to rapid flashing, with occasional longer periods of illumination. (Well under a second, but much longer than the rapid 'binding' flash rate.) When the longer illumination happens, the servos jitter a tiny bit (more just sound than movement). I can control (sort of) the servos from the Tx, but they move in a very jerky/stuttering manner - not smoothly at all - nothing I'd ever try to fly with, that's for sure. All the while, the LED continues to flash rapidly, with the occasional longer illumination and associated servo jitter.

I've tried the suggestions under the "Binding Problems" section of the instructions, including trying to bind at varying (increasing) distances, using my body as a shield, moving to the far corner of the house where there's no wifi signal, reducing the servo travel range on the Tx (section "C1" in the instructions), all with the same results - continued rapid flashing, occasional longer flashes with jitter, and jerky/stuttering movement of the servos.

I've posted on RCG in "The official Lemon DSM2/DSMX Compatible Telemetry system thread", so will see if I get any response there.

I can re-bind my OrangeRx R620X (which I've been using up until now), and all functions perfectly fine, so it definitely looks like its something w/ the LM0052, or with the way Deviation is talking to it, or something. Guess I'll be going back to the reliable R620X for the time being. (The LM0052 intrigues me due to the built-in altimeter, but I'd rather have proper control of my servos, I think... ;-)

More
02 Jun 2018 05:38 #69514 by jim_s
So, update on this - I got a reply over on RCG with a few good suggestions, and tried them all, but ended up with the same result.

I did, however, discover that all works fine when I bind with DSM2, instead of DSMX. I fly all by my lonesome, out in the middle of wide-open fields, so I don't think I'm really missing out on anything by using DSM2 vs DSMX, but it'd still be nice to figure out what's going on.

Lemon Rx advertises the LM0052 as "DSMP" - whether that's a marketing thing, an IP thing (ie, trying to avoid the ire of Spektrum/HH and their merry band of lawyers), or a different implementation of DSMX with its own particular quirks, I have no idea. From the looks of things, though, it appears that at least there is some binding compatibility problem between Deviation's DSMX implementation and Lemon Rx's "DSMP" implementation.

Probably unrelated (but maybe not?), I re-discovered that to bind to my OrangeRx R620X receiver via DSMX, I need to bind with telemetry turned off, then go in after the bind, and turn telemetry on, otherwise, things seem to bind, but I have no control over the servos at all (ie, if I try to bind DSMX, with telemetry turned on). I don't know if this is the way things are supposed to work, or it this might be some indication of some wonkiness yet to be worked out in Deviation's DSMX implementation. If anyone knows the proper forum to ask this question in, I'd be interested in hearing it. (I'll do some digging to try to find the appropriate forum, but if anyone is more familiar w/ the layout here, feel free to chime in.)

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds