Buddy mode slave as TX?

More
06 Nov 2018 12:35 - 06 Nov 2018 12:36 #71568 by Peeeter
Buddy mode slave as TX? was created by Peeeter
Hi,

please assume a Devo 7e with Deviation and a non-Walkera radio without Deviation. Only the Devo 7e is able to bind to the model.

I would like to have:

• Devo 7e as Slave (Student)
  • Devo 7e binds and transmits to model
  • Non-Walkera, non-Deviation radio serves as Master (Teacher)
  • Non-Walkera radio can take over control via its own master switch, as it is usual with buddy mode

Is this possible?

Many thanks
Peter
Last edit: 06 Nov 2018 12:36 by Peeeter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2018 12:55 - 06 Nov 2018 12:58 #71569 by goebish
Replied by goebish on topic Buddy mode slave as TX?
Here you go :)
www.deviationtx.com/manuals/html-devo10-...ced.html#master-mode
(you want the 7e in Master mode actually if that's the one who binds to the model)
Last edit: 06 Nov 2018 12:58 by goebish.

More
06 Nov 2018 14:48 - 06 Nov 2018 14:50 #71577 by Peeeter
Replied by Peeeter on topic Buddy mode slave as TX?
Hi,

and thanks goebish!

Unfortunately this doesn't help me, since what I really want is to have the 7e bind the model, but work in slave mode.

It seems to me that currently this isn't possible with Deviation. Is there maybe a place where I could put it on a wish list?
Last edit: 06 Nov 2018 14:50 by Peeeter.

More
06 Nov 2018 15:08 #71580 by goebish
Replied by goebish on topic Buddy mode slave as TX?
Sorry but I don't understand.
- Devo 7e (ppm input) and the other radio (ppm output) are connected via cable
- Devo 7e is running the DSM protocol (for example) with PPM in enabled and Trainer switch set to a channel that's sent by the other radio.
- The other radio can take control over the model by setting the trainer switch channel > 0.

Maybe I don't understand your use case.

More
06 Nov 2018 16:31 #71582 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Buddy mode slave as TX?
Agree this is not the standard way to buddy box. Do you want the student to use the 7e because of form factor or some reason like that?

It should be possible with complex mixes on the 7e with an additional PPM input used as the "trainer switch". For example the throttle mix would use the 7e THR source when PPM6 is below 0, and use PPM1 to control throttle when PPM6 is above 0. The trainer switch on the master would control the master tx PPM channel 6 output, with master throttle output on PPM channel 1.

More
06 Nov 2018 16:33 #71583 by Peeeter
Ooohh ok, I think this helps :)

You mean it's possible to take control of the model even when you are on the non-Deviation slave radio?

I have a radio without DSM which I want to keep on using, and the students are supposed to learn on the 7e which does have DSM. If I'm not mistaken, then the 7e needs to be master in order to use the DSM, right?

How do I need to set this up? I just tried to
  • put PPM In = "Stick" on the 7e
  • put Trainer Sw = "Ch5" on the 7e
  • put a switch on channel 5 of the other radio

This didn't work, no matter in which position the switch on the other radio is, the 7e always has control over the model.

More
06 Nov 2018 18:08 #71584 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Buddy mode slave as TX?
I have been wondering if you can connect independently multiple receivers to Flight controllers, just send 2x sbus 2uart, that way it could be possible really implement real master slave, with interesting features. Fi the teacher Tx to be able to make realtime corrections, to the trainee...…
Or have redundancy with real dual rx/tx etc..

More
06 Nov 2018 19:57 #71585 by Peeeter
Under "Trainer Cfg (Stick)" I can choose for "Trainer Sw" various options:
  • RUD/ELE/AIL/THR
  • FMode0/1
  • Hold0/1
  • Ch1 to Ch16
  • Virt1 to Virt10
  • PPM1 to PPM8

Could somebody please explain to me what the difference is, between Ch and PPM? Is any of the above options coming in from the foreign slave radio at all?

More
06 Nov 2018 20:48 #71586 by hexfet
The Stick and Channel PPMIn configurations are for the standard buddy box usage where the master tx is bound to the model. You'll need to select Extend so that the PPM inputs can be used as regular inputs in the mixers (PPM1-8 depending on how many you enable in the Extend options).

Set up the mixers to use Source as either the 7e inputs (THR, AIL, etc) or the corresponding PPM channels from the "master". Use the PPM input from the "master trainer switch" as the switch in the mixers to choose whether the 7e or PPM input is the controlling source.

What are the PPM channel assignments from the "master" tx? You need one PPM channel to act as the trainer switch (for this non-standard configuration).

The CHx inputs are the outputs of the channel mixers. Useful in other situations - not here.

More
06 Nov 2018 22:14 #71587 by Peeeter
The assignments on the "master" foreign radio are:

1 THR
2 RUD
3 ELE
4 AIL
5 Master Switch

In a normal master/slave configuration with 7e as master, I am able to switch from master to slave with HOLD0/1 on the 7e, and everything works fine. Now I just tried this to test if I can grab the PPM input at all:
  • put PPM In = "Extended" on the 7e, PPM1 to PPM8
  • change the mixer for THR to from "THR" to "PPM1" as input
  • check Ch1 in the channel monitor

Before, Ch1 was moving according to stick movements on the 7e. After the above changes, Ch1 moves neither with stick movements from the 7e nor from the other radio. What am I missing?

More
06 Nov 2018 23:47 #71589 by hexfet
It sounds correct to me. Just to be sure, when you have the 7e as master and HOLD set to give control to the student, then CH1 follows the stick movement of the student tx? That would verify the student tx is sending the expected PPM signal.

Don't have equipment to test with me. If you post the model file we can take a look.

More
07 Nov 2018 01:02 - 07 Nov 2018 01:09 #71590 by Peeeter
I just checked again, when the 7e is normal master with HOLD set to give control to the student, then CH1, CH2, CH3 and CH4 on the 7e follow the student's sticks. CH1 goes from -100 to +100, the rest go from -127 to 128, so probably calibration needs to be done.

However, so far I have not been able to see the student's "master switch" changing CH5 on the 7e. In this last test there was no such switch of course, since the master switch was defined on the 7e as HOLD0/1.

In the model.ini, there are probably things which don't belong there, I'm new to Deviation. :)

By the way, I'm amazed that while my setup is TREA, the order in the mixer section is TAER and I can still fly the thing without problems on both radios.

Many thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!
Attachments:
Last edit: 07 Nov 2018 01:09 by Peeeter.

More
07 Nov 2018 02:09 #71592 by hexfet
That model file has PPMIn configured for Stick. I've attached a simple model made in the emulator just for testing channel one. Check with this model if the other tx PPM output on channel one shows up on CH1 in the 7e channel monitor.
Attachments:

More
07 Nov 2018 10:28 - 07 Nov 2018 13:02 #71604 by Peeeter
Yes, indeed it does show up! :cheer:

Ch2, Ch3 and Ch4 go from -100 to 100 with the 7e sticks, and Ch1 goes from -127 to 128 with the "master" radio Channel 1 = THR stick.

I'm going to have a look at how you configured it and try to move forward from there, many thanks!

P.S. After adding PPM5 like you did with Ch1, also the "master" radio's master switch shows up on the 7e now.
Last edit: 07 Nov 2018 13:02 by Peeeter.

More
08 Nov 2018 00:26 #71632 by Peeeter
I just wrote the configuration and it works like a charm! :cheer:

Many thanks hexfet and goebish for helping me, and especially for your brilliant idea to import the switch setting! :)
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds