Hacking the turnigy evolution

More
13 Jun 2018 18:48 #69632 by takigama
Hacking the turnigy evolution was created by takigama
So, long story short, Im thinking of getting an evolution controller purely to hack it to bits. When they originally came out, I really liked them and didnt get one solely because of the limitations in them. These days theres enough information on the internals of the controller that designing a new mainboard for it seems quite plausible. The goal would be to:
  • Use a multiprotocol module
  • Add a speaker/sdcard
  • Keep the existing display

Rather than re-invent the wheel as such, i'd be designing a board based on an existing radio, but the trickiest part of it (i think) is trying to support the display and i've not had alot of luck finding much info about how that display is driven (other than it seems the touch screen is running over spi possibly). I did find one persons attempt at using an ARUni board, but no real details. Questions I have tho:
  • Does anyone have more details on the display?
  • Assuming I was going down the path of using an STM32 what is the best choice here? Or alternatively, what radio would be a good choice for building a circuit based off?
  • Anyone have a close-in pic of the flat flex cable connection to the mainboard (specifically the pad layout on the cable/connector)?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2018 08:53 #69648 by Phobos
Replied by Phobos on topic Hacking the turnigy evolution
I believe fishpepper created a custom firmware for flysky fs-i6s which has the same or similar touch screen as turnigy evolution.

github.com/fishpepper/OpenGround

More
16 Jun 2018 16:41 #69655 by takigama
Replied by takigama on topic Hacking the turnigy evolution
Yeah, i did see his code/blog posts, they'd come in handy if I had to add touch screen support to the deviation firmware. Im more interested in knowing if anything that deviation supports has touch screen already? (i assume the answer is no as none of the ones on the list i know have touch screens)

More
16 Jun 2018 17:08 #69656 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Hacking the turnigy evolution
The DEVO 6, 8, and 12 all have touchscreens...

More
23 Jun 2018 16:16 #69697 by takigama
Replied by takigama on topic Hacking the turnigy evolution

FDR wrote: The DEVO 6, 8, and 12 all have touchscreens...

Interesting point, I hadn't considered a colour screen, I do have a few that would possibly fit ok into the transmitter. I did end up getting one of these. Something I didn't notice when I played with one previously is they dont have trims (well not hardware buttons for them). Ripping one apart has has been illuminating, should be easy enough to add a 5 position switch for trims near each of the sticks, can rip the batteries out and replace them with vibration units, put a 3d printed bit on the back of the LCD to hold a JR/multi-tx module, then something to hold a 2/3s battery in the middle of the underside and I just need to design a board that can take the connectors it has and does everything i need. Should be a fun little project i hope!

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds