Developing a universal module

More
26 Mar 2013 07:49 #8092 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Developing a universal module
Is it possible to use other PA and get output power up to 21dBm (23dBm)? For example SE2550BL (Spektrum X1TXN).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Mar 2013 10:06 #8096 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Developing a universal module

vlad_vy wrote: Is it possible to use other PA and get output power up to 21dBm (23dBm)? For example SE2550BL (Spektrum X1TXN).

I have been advised by our local RF Suppliers to look at the RF6555 LNA and PA module (a 2.0V TO 3.6V, 2.4GHz FRONT END MODULE,, 18dBm) from RFMD (RFMD.com)

I have no experience with it, but received a demo board from them which I hope to try in the next few weeks. It has the option of attaching two antennas, which I find quite interesting.

More
26 Mar 2013 14:17 #8105 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Developing a universal module
I spent a little time with Kicad this weekend. I like the interface better than Eagle, and like that all the files are text files, so I'll probably use that. I went and built Kicad parts for most of the RF components I listed above. It isn't much, but it is a start.

More
01 Apr 2013 19:09 #8384 by andri65

More
07 Apr 2013 04:25 #8672 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Developing a universal module
Moving discussion from V202 protocol thread here. See www.deviationtx.com/forum/protocol-devel...7-v202-protocol#8654

If you want to have ARM in DIP you can have one - LPC1114. It's not STM32, but with minimal hardware abstraction probably can run Deviation protocol stack. And as far as I understand, you have some abstraction in your code - you use libopencm3. I just looked up - support for LPC is weak, and for LPC1100 is non-existent. Sigh...

On the other hand, STM32 is very easy to solder, people are more afraid of surface mount than they should - it's not that hard. Look ad GoodFET - the initial idea was to have it for hobbyists, and all the designs are SMD.

Why someone can't produce something reasonably powerful which covers all non-DSSS modulation schemas?

BTW, do you have a spreadsheet or summary which protocols use which modulation, data rate, address length, CRC, and may be I am missing something else important? Maybe someone is producing a chip, powerful enough to cover all protocol requirements (except DSSS ones)? I know that A7105/A7125 have direct mode, but it's a bit close to software radio, which is fun, but probably not suitable for RC TX.

More
07 Apr 2013 05:31 - 07 Apr 2013 05:42 #8674 by PhracturedBlue
While I like the idea of a truly universal module, to be honest, there isn't that large of an incentive for me. If we could provide a populated board, I'd probably be more interested in going that way, but if we're talking DIY, I'm a big fan of keeping the total part count as low as possible.

I think I'll give up on the PIC solution. It doesn't have an on-board bootloader so now you need to have the proper programmer as well as everything else. The LPC1114 doesn't have USB, which is pretty limiting, but it does seem to be programmable via serial port. so maybe that is sufficient.

The STM32 also doesn't have a USB bootloader, though it also has a serial one.
The LPC1343 has a USB bootloader, which is convenient but requires soldering a usb port to the board I guess.

Alternatively, we could use something like the Teensy 3.0 board which is basically ready to go except for the traces for the various modules. You could use that without the need for any other board If you wanted to, or we could design a board which needs no chips, and just has the relevant most common headers. It is perhaps more expensive, but is certainly very convenient (I also happen to have one sitting here). It should easily be able to run the protocol stack as well, making it a good choice for a universal module.

Edit: After a little googling, I found an arduino nano which is half the cost of the teensy. It could probably also handle the protocol stack (though I'm not an arduino guy, so I'm not sure). the 5V thing will be a problem though, since we're talking about a 3.3V world here.
Last edit: 07 Apr 2013 05:42 by PhracturedBlue.

More
07 Apr 2013 05:43 - 07 Apr 2013 14:01 #8675 by PhracturedBlue

victzh wrote: BTW, do you have a spreadsheet or summary which protocols use which modulation, data rate, address length, CRC, and may be I am missing something else important? Maybe someone is producing a chip, powerful enough to cover all protocol requirements (except DSSS ones)? I know that A7105/A7125 have direct mode, but it's a bit close to software radio, which is fun, but probably not suitable for RC TX.

I started work on one at one time. Let me see what I can dig up.

Edit: Here's the beginning of a table:
ProtocolTransceiverData RateModulationPreambleCRC
DEVOCYRF6936250kbps8DR-32Chip4SOP+16DATA+1LEN+???PRECRC16
WK2x01CYRF6936125kbps8DR-64Chip8SOP+16DATA+1LEN+???PRECRC16
DSM2 / DSMXCYRF693615.625k (bind) / 250k (data)SDR-64Chip (bind) / 8DR-32Chip (data)CRC16
J6ProCYRF6936125kbps8DR-64Chip8SOP+16DATA+1LEN+???PRE
FlyskyA7105500kbpsFSK4PREAMBLE+4IDCRC16
HubsanA7105100kbpsFSK4PREAMBLE+4IDCRC16
SkyartecCC2500
Frsky1CC2500
Frsky2CC2500
V202NRF24L01 BK2423
V922NRF24L01E
NE260NRF24L01
AnyLinkNRF24L01
Last edit: 07 Apr 2013 14:01 by FDR.

More
08 Apr 2013 05:25 #8729 by Usjak
Replied by Usjak on topic Developing a universal module
For most of the people, the easiest would be to use DIP switch for chip select of various modules, IMHO.

More
08 Apr 2013 05:28 #8730 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Developing a universal module

Usjak wrote: For most of the people, the easiest would be to use DIP switch for chip select of various modules, IMHO.

I don't think it would be easier, then the current seamless modul switching on a model change...

More
08 Apr 2013 05:40 #8731 by Usjak
Replied by Usjak on topic Developing a universal module
Sorry, I didn't get you.
It would be easier to implement, but harder to use.

FDR wrote:

Usjak wrote: For most of the people, the easiest would be to use DIP switch for chip select of various modules, IMHO.

I don't think it would be easier, then the current seamless modul switching on a model change...

More
08 Apr 2013 08:39 #8734 by blackmoon
Replied by blackmoon on topic Developing a universal module
How would it be harder to use ?

Actually, you choose a model and the right module is activated by deviation.

How easier can it be ?

I found this brilliant, no need to mess with S*** dip switches :D

More
08 Apr 2013 08:42 - 08 Apr 2013 13:22 #8735 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Developing a universal module

Usjak wrote: Sorry, I didn't get you.
DIP switches would be easier to implement, but harder to use.

DIP switches won't work for me, even if it allows more modules to be fitted.

Firstly such switches cannot/should not be fitted on the outside of a TX, (accidental switching while flying will be disastrous), and I cannot see myself opening the TX (or battery compartment) to change a module selection when switching models.

Secondly, such a solution will negate one of the best Deviation features - that of seamlessly switching between models, irrespective of protocols.

-
Last edit: 08 Apr 2013 13:22 by RandMental.

More
09 Apr 2013 17:42 #8796 by PhracturedBlue
Could someone (who speaks Chinese) figure out how to download the following?
www.rfembed.com/viewthread.php?tid=91&extra=&ordertype=1

I've tried to create an account, but the system hates me and won't let me login, doesn't send me email, and generally is being difficult.

More
09 Apr 2013 18:52 #8801 by ColdFire
Replied by ColdFire on topic Developing a universal module
I agree. The website is very cumbersome to use. I just registered an account and I can login fine. but so far I have not receive any activation email (and you can only request activation once within 24 hrs) so I can not do much with the account inactive.

PhracturedBlue wrote: Could someone (who speaks Chinese) figure out how to download the following?
www.rfembed.com/viewthread.php?tid=91&extra=&ordertype=1

I've tried to create an account, but the system hates me and won't let me login, doesn't send me email, and generally is being difficult.

More
09 Apr 2013 19:33 #8805 by Wene001
Replied by Wene001 on topic Developing a universal module

More
09 Apr 2013 19:38 #8806 by ColdFire
Replied by ColdFire on topic Developing a universal module
Tried and does not work. error message does not make sense to me at all. could you try to download the code?

Wene001 wrote: www.sourcecodedownloads.com/1128303/
Evtl try this

More
09 Apr 2013 21:00 - 09 Apr 2013 21:00 #8808 by Mullson
Last edit: 09 Apr 2013 21:00 by Mullson.

More
09 Apr 2013 21:04 #8809 by PhracturedBlue
Thanks everyone, but I already know how to use google :)
The issue is that every link seems to have some incredibly onerous process to be able to get to an actual download. The one I posted looked like it was the easiest of the lot. If someone actually manages to download the file, let me know. I've been trying for quite a while.

More
10 Apr 2013 00:52 #8810 by BitOne
Replied by BitOne on topic Developing a universal module
Maybe here ?

amiccom.weebly.com/uploads/3/9/5/9/39593...4chinese_version.pdf

Sorry in Chinese, but some sample assembly codes...

More
10 Apr 2013 01:45 #8811 by PhracturedBlue
That is close, but I am looking for the 'Direct mode' reference document, and that is the 'FIFO mode' document (which I already know). The 'direct mode' pdf is likely also on their site (I think that is the contents of the zip I mentioned), though I'm not sure how to find it

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds