Deviation for Devo F4?

More
31 Mar 2016 12:21 #45498 by xJustiinsane
Replied by xJustiinsane on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
Great work PhracturedBlue! Thank you for firing it up so fast!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Mar 2016 20:44 #45511 by SirDomsen
Replied by SirDomsen on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
May I ask a short question? Would It be possible to add switches to the F4 like on the 7E or are there some limitations?

More
31 Mar 2016 21:26 #45514 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
I'll answer you question as soon as I have my F4 in my hands. The screwdriver is waiting impatiently!

More
31 Mar 2016 21:39 #45515 by SirDomsen
mine, too as i couldn't resist of buying it :-p

More
31 Mar 2016 22:30 - 31 Mar 2016 22:42 #45517 by xJustiinsane
Replied by xJustiinsane on topic Deviation for Devo F4?

SirDomsen wrote: May I ask a short question? Would It be possible to add switches to the F4 like on the 7E or are there some limitations?

Yes.
Here is something for the 7E, could be useful:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/how-to/1436-ad...tches-to-the-devo-7e

We should ask Epitaph...

Epitaph wrote: ...

And if the F4’s boards are the same as the F7's, then this should be possible:

Where did you connect the external antenna to and what kind is it? Regular 2.4GHz antenna, like WIFI?
Last edit: 31 Mar 2016 22:42 by xJustiinsane.

More
01 Apr 2016 00:12 #45521 by Deal57
Replied by Deal57 on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
The button matrix in the F4 has two unused connections, like the 7e, so the 3-way switch mod should be a no-brainier... Or so it seems. Also, the processor is the same as the F7 and 7e, but the pins used by the switches of those other transmitters are not carried onto the board. It should be possible to solder directly to the processor and get the functionality, if you are so inclined.

I guess someone needs to just do it.

Deviation Devo7e 3way switch mod, A7105, NRF24L01
Devo6s 2x2 switch mod, trim mod, haptic, multimodule, A7105, NRF24L01, CC2500
Devo12e 4-in-1 with voice mod -- it speaks!!

More
01 Apr 2016 01:54 #45525 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
FYI, I am not able to upload the filesystem to my F7. I don't remember how I did it last time, but the deviation-uploader isn't doing it for me anymore. I will need to spend a little time to figure out what is going on, hopefully nothing too challenging. If it doesn't work on my F7, it won't work on the F4, so there is no point in my providing the updated installer. I'll let you know once I have it working.

More
01 Apr 2016 07:41 #45544 by Epitaph
Replied by Epitaph on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
Don't worry PB, we know it's not as simple as a normal installation for this transmitter, it's a little more involved than that.

That antenna I added is a 5.8ghz antenna for the video feed, as the internal one is absolutely CRAP!! The stick antenna used is just a temp one till I get sorted out the mushroom for it.

That switch is an electrical D/R switch, as in it's installed via resistors direct to the pot, not to the board... same way we used to add RD to non computerized radios in the past. But the switch itself is just a normal switch (in this case 2 pole), and the setup of the plastic inside is exactly the same as the F7, so what you can put on the F7 you can put on the F4. It can take a couple more switches no problem, as well as I still have another shoulder bay free for a switch, although I'm not keen on the shoulder switches as I'm a pincher... I have some pretty blue switch nuts ready to use on this transmitter which match the sticks if this project ends up working and we can add more switches...

A couple of pages back, the diagram shows that there are pins on the processor for added switches, but they are not drawn on the board, so I guess they could be added no problem if a Deviation version can be figured out that can use them, and also, I don't know if they are to switch to ground or what... that would have to be figured out, but I think this transmitter with a little TLC can have a few things added, albeit the limited size of the memory.

More
01 Apr 2016 07:56 - 01 Apr 2016 08:15 #45545 by Epitaph
Inside for that antenna is just one of these:

Pigtail

connected here:

But, if you do decide to do it, just be careful with that original plug taking it off, you have to take it off carefully and evenly, as in pull up carefully... if you lever it off hard you could end up breaking the socket on the board off with it, then you're going to be in a bit of a mess... and several people have had this happen so it's a known issue when changing the antenna. But it's well worth changing it, as with that simple stick antenna on a test I was getting a perfect signal from 2 blocks away with a couple of concrete walls, furniture, a couple of cars and a truck between the VTx and the VRx... and that was with me on the wrong band (VRx uses B band, and I had my VTx on E band using a 200mW Eachine 32ch module, also with just a simple stick antenna, so there was 0.007ghz difference on the frequency), and of course, that was on the ground, so imagine in the air with no obstructions!!

You was asking if it was a 2.4 WiFi one, so I assume you thought it was for transmitting to the receiver... well, it's not, but there's no reason why you couldn't. The other side to the one pictured has the Tx module, with a bridge of plastic over the same type of connector as the VRx, so you would just have to remove the screws and then the same operation again, remove the connector carefully and replace it with a pigtail, and remember to use a 2.4ghz antenna, not a 5.8ghz one on it. Also, remember, you cannot start the transmitter up without that antenna if you do decide to do it, as it could burn out the Tx module... the video Rx will be fine without an antenna though, as it's not transmitting and therefore has nothing to burn out. But you could perfectly put one antenna on each shoulder, one side for video, one side for transmitter.

Last edit: 01 Apr 2016 08:15 by Epitaph.

More
01 Apr 2016 15:29 #45574 by PhracturedBlue
I made some progress, and was able to get the filesystem uploaded (the issue was a timeout due to very slow writing to the external flash), but the transmitter doesn't recognize it. It has been almost a year since I played with the F7, so I have a bit more reminiscing to do to figure out how all this is supposed to work.

More
02 Apr 2016 05:25 - 02 Apr 2016 13:36 #45625 by PhracturedBlue
Okay, here is a 2nd test case:
dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/52854517/devo-f4-test2-9aef705a.zip
Edit: See below for latest version

Instructions:
1) Make sure Java is installed
2) Get the DFU Drv USB installer from here:
www.deviationtx.com/downloads-new/category/161-dfu-usb-tool
2a) Run the installer and select the Deviation Uploader option
3) unzip the f4 zip file
4) Run Deviation-Upload-0.8-f4.jar (either double click or try java -jar Deviation-Upload-0.8-f4.jar)
5) But your Tx into Program mode and plug into the PC
6) Make sure DeviationUpload shows your Tx as 'Devo F4'
7) Switch to the DFU tab
8 select the devof4.dfu file
9) Press 'Send'
10) Wait a while. Make sure the progress bar gets all the way to the end and you get a pop-up. If the progress bar doesn't get all the way to the end before you get the popup, it failed even if the Message says it was OK.
11) select the devof4-lib.dfu file
12) repeat steps 9 and 10 above
13) reboot the tx. Hopefully it will go 'doo-doo-doot' and will show you the Deviation main screen

I tested this with my F7 today, and it worked as expected, so it should work with the F4 as well.

Note that you can use the installer in Step 2 to switch back and forth between the Walkera uploader and mine, but you can't have both working at the same time on the same machine.

I realize the instructions are rather crude and the process is not very clean. I kinda sticthed it together as I went, and there is a lot of cleanup to do. Still...It should be sufficient for initial testing
Last edit: 02 Apr 2016 13:36 by PhracturedBlue.

More
02 Apr 2016 06:24 #45636 by Epitaph
Right... problem...

I put the software in as you said, but when i turn the transmitter off and on again, it is just stuck saying "Devention DEVO-F4 Program update.........."

I've tried putting the original firmware back in, and I just can't get it to respond. The original Dfuse program doesn't even recognise the transmitter, the new JAVA program I tried and it loaded with the bar all the way to the end, but didn't work, and trying with the DFU USB driver before with the second option (Walkera Devention), the JAVA program recognises it as a 7E and therefore won't upload it...

Right now, I have a big paperweight that is stuck in program mode

Just in case it's important as to size, I took this screenshot

The new firmware is 110kb + 4kb for the LIB, and the original 0.2A firmware is recognised as being only 70kb in size, this with the JAVA program

More
02 Apr 2016 06:28 - 02 Apr 2016 06:30 #45638 by Epitaph
As is, the only way I can program anything in is using the JAVA program with the Deviation mode DFU USB program, so, as is, if you want to try something new, it will accept it. If not, how can I put the original firmware back in?

Now, I'm going to be out all day and night today, so I won't be able to try anything today, but I will be available as a guinea pig again tomorrow (GMT+1)
Last edit: 02 Apr 2016 06:30 by Epitaph.

More
02 Apr 2016 12:36 - 02 Apr 2016 12:37 #45646 by PhracturedBlue
1st off, don't panic
If you are stuck in 'program' mode, it means the uploader probably has some incorrect settings and isn't properly sending the dfu to the tx (basically the Tx is detecting a bad firmware and not booting it)
This would be because the CRC is wrong, and I'll need to find the right one.
Until I do, my programmer won't upload anything to your tx, but your tx isn't broken, just my uploader.

I didn't understand this part:

trying with the DFU USB driver before with the second option (Walkera Devention), the JAVA program recognises it as a 7E and therefore won't upload it...

Do you mean that if you use the 'Install Walkera USB Driver', that Walkera Uploader doesn't see your Transmitter AND that the Java program doesn't see your transmitter? That latter part would be expected of course, but the Walkera DFuSE software should have worked. What version of windows are you using? You can try the 3rd option 'Remove all DFU Drivers' and then re-install Walkera's software again (and if that doesn't work, I will walk you through the manual removal process). But hopefully before you get back to trying this, I'll have a fix for the uploader that will work for you.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2016 12:37 by PhracturedBlue.

More
02 Apr 2016 13:03 - 02 Apr 2016 13:07 #45647 by SirDomsen
Hi, as I recently reeceived my F4, I tried to upload Deviation as descripted. But I sadly have to report that I got the same result as Epitaph.

The driver problem occured to me as well, I'm using Win10 (I shouldn't have upgraded :sick: ). The Walkera driver can't be installed so DFUse doesn't see the Devo anymore. (Verified with my well-working Devo10)
That's why I digged out my old laptop running on WinXP and using DFUse there, it was no problem to wake up the F4 again. So no worries, there isnt bricked anything @ Epitaph

@PB, now you have a second Beta-Tester ;)
Last edit: 02 Apr 2016 13:07 by SirDomsen.

More
02 Apr 2016 13:17 #45649 by Epitaph
I'm not worried, just saying it's not working. Tje program had tje bar going to tje end every time, so it's not that. The Dfuse program doesn't recognise a transmitter plugged in. And the other new one used to program this firmware test, if you use the driver installer to install Devention driver, recognises the transmitter as a 7E, not an F4.

I'll take some screenshots once I'm home tonight. I'm on Windows 7.

More
02 Apr 2016 13:34 #45651 by PhracturedBlue
Here is an updated version of the uploader that will hopefully work for you:
www.dropbox.com/s/afria7zbuut62lq/devo-f...t3-9aef705a.zip?dl=0

More
02 Apr 2016 14:58 #45655 by YARIMbe
Replied by YARIMbe on topic Deviation for Devo F4?
welcome back PB,
can you compile one for F7 too?

More
02 Apr 2016 16:00 #45657 by teddy04
Replied by teddy04 on topic Deviation for Devo F4?

PhracturedBlue wrote: Here is an updated version of the uploader that will hopefully work for you:
www.dropbox.com/s/afria7zbuut62lq/devo-f...t3-9aef705a.zip?dl=0

At first a verry big thank you for these development... it working great on my F4.

some issues to do on the software but nice to have.

regards,

Micha

More
02 Apr 2016 16:49 #45658 by PhracturedBlue
In case it was not REALLY crystal clear:
This software is in no way ready for production use. This is a copy of the F7 software with no changes other than the tx encryption changed. It doesn't know that there are no switches. I didn't check whether the button maps are the same as the F7 or not, so the buttons may not properly work.
Additionally, I have done minimal work on the F7 version of the software. Most of what you get was put together by djtrance, and I don't think everything is finished yet. It will take some dedicated effort to move this further along, and I am not promising that I will do it in the near future. But hopefully we can patch something together that is sufficient to get you guys flying.

Time to create page: 0.109 seconds