Getting started with building Deviation from src

More
16 May 2017 04:11 - 16 May 2017 04:29 #62338 by Texacate
Hello developers. First off, let me thank all of you for DevintaionTx.

Bought (and modded) my first Devo transmitter, a 7E, last month and I'm already hooked on the power of Deviation. I've been looking onto the source code on github with the goal of some day being about to contribute to this awesome project.

So far I have followed the Docker wiki instructions , and successfully compiled my own copy of the nightly builds.

Next I'd like to try downloading a copy source code and create a custom build. For my first "enhancement" I'll attempt to change the line width on the trim bars from 1 pixel wide for non-zero values to something my aging eyes can actually see (like 3 pixels).

GitHub allowed me to download a copy of the source code quite easily. But the Docker wiki mentioned needing to set up a git workspace on my PC for custom builds...

docker create -it -v ~/devo_builds:/release -v <path to git>:/git --name deviation_build deviationtx/deviation-docker

Question: Do I need to (learn how to) actually properly check out the source from GitHub to just dabble like this?

I'm just taking my first baby steps, and certainly not experienced or confident enough to check-in any changes... A few days ago was the 1st time I'd ever used docker... But it worked flawlessly!

Any advice to noobs would be appreciated. My long term goal of being able to contribute may turn out to be unrealistic, but I want to at least try...

Meanwhile I'm carefully re-reading the sticky thread, trying to educate myself.
www.deviationtx.com/forum/7-development/...r-building-deviation
Last edit: 16 May 2017 04:29 by Texacate.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 May 2017 04:41 #62340 by Moeder
Hey, congratulations on entering the DeviationTX developer world ;)

It really make sense to read one of the many tutorials on git available online, as it is a really powerful tool and let's you do many even different code changes, switch around between them and if satisfied even push them to the main repository from your fork. But a basic understanding of Git's concept and it's command line should be a must have. Good luck coding!

More
16 May 2017 04:50 - 16 May 2017 05:00 #62341 by Texacate
Thanks for the advice. I will do that. Kinda figured I'd need to know Git eventually. Right now I know just enough to be dangerous...

BTW, I just bought one of those rare Devo 6S's off eBay... You know, to feed my addiction!? I hope I don't fry the darn thing. Maybe I better pick up another 7E for beta-testing...

EDIT: It just occurred to me that beta-testing is the whole point of building the emulators...
Last edit: 16 May 2017 05:00 by Texacate.

More
16 May 2017 13:36 #62357 by mwm
You don't have to do a proper git checkout to do builds. But it really is easy (one command), and you'll need that if you want to submit your changes for inclusion into the official build.

The command is "git clone <URL>", where URL is from the "Clone or Download" pop box.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
16 May 2017 14:44 #62362 by FDR
You will also need your own Github fork of deviation, where you commit your changes, then you can send pull request from there.
Also if you want to make changes, rather do them on separate branches for each feature, so you can make separate pull requests...

More
17 May 2017 04:31 - 17 May 2017 04:38 #62377 by Texacate
Thanks for the help. I've been watching YouTube vids on the basics of Git & GitHub. Learning the lingo of source code control. pull/push/clone/fork/add/commit/branch/etc. Not sure I'll be ready to make any real changes (pull requests?) for while. But I will get there eventually.

BTW, the source code you guys have written is very clean and well organized. I'm in awe actually. Good stuff.
Last edit: 17 May 2017 04:38 by Texacate.

More
24 May 2017 19:37 #62531 by Texacate
I've been playing with the code (specifically the _bargraph.c file). I was able to shave 0.06 KB off the ROM size of the Devo7E, without changing the functionality at all. Is that significant enough to submit a pull requests for? I know its not much...

More
25 May 2017 21:03 #62551 by mwm
Every byte helps.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
26 May 2017 04:20 - 26 May 2017 05:11 #62556 by Texacate
I was able to create a local branch, but when I tried to merge my branch back into the master on GitHub, it was not allowed. Apparently I do not have write permissions.

EDIT: I was able to submit the changes directly on GitHub.com. FDR's comment about creating my own fork now makes sense to me.

BTW, I'm fine with not having write permissions. For now, I'd rather not have them...
Last edit: 26 May 2017 05:11 by Texacate.

More
26 May 2017 14:56 #62568 by Moeder
Congrats to your first commit ;)
Now you only have 127.94 kB to optimize left :P

More
26 May 2017 15:09 - 26 May 2017 15:09 #62570 by FDR

Texacate wrote: EDIT: I was able to submit the changes directly on GitHub.com. FDR's comment about creating my own fork now makes sense to me.

I think I forgot to mention, that when you have your own fork, you need to pull from the deviation's master repository, but push your commits to your fork, and then make a pull request from there.
In order to being able to make separate pull request for separate features/changes, you need to make separate branches for each, and make the pull requests from those...
Last edit: 26 May 2017 15:09 by FDR.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds