Deviation 2.1.bffc70489f1f (Devo12 support)

More
30 Jan 2013 06:27 #5763 by PhracturedBlue
Deviation 2.1.bffc70489f1f (Devo12 support) was created by PhracturedBlue
Here is the 1st experimental build with Devo12 support
As noted in the Devo12 thread:
This uses the Devo8 interface at 320x240. We'll eventually build a proper interface, but it is not a priority
The installation procedure for the Devo12 is different:
1) install the firmware dfu via the 'Firmware' tab
2) unzip the filesystem
3) install the devo12-lib.dfu as a library (via the 'Library' tab)
4) power on and see the USB indicator.
5) format the drive
6) upload the contents of the 'filesystem' dir to the tx (what is inside the 'filesystem' dir, not the dir itself. you should have tx.ini and errors.txt in the root of the Devo12 filesystem)
7) power off and enjoy

I have verified that you can go back to stock by flashing the original firmware and library dfu. you will lose all model data as well as all settings though.

For everyone else:
The switch names ave all changed.
AIL DR is now 'AIL DR0' and 'AIL DR1'. This applies to all toggle switches. They should transparently map from your old models, but once you load this firmware, your models are no longer compatible with any previous dfu! Make sure to backup your models dir 1st!

Other changes since the last expermental build:
* the devo10 default model icons have changed to public-domain variants
* The file-format for bmp files on the devo10 has changed a little. Old icons may not be compatible
* several bug fixes in page navigation/display
* there is a 'debug' zip file included in the build. Do not put this on your tx, but hold onto it in case you have issues. It can beused to debug crashes
* improved 'standard' icons from FDR

Note that this release has only been lightly tested on each platform. I am quite sure that the switch-name changes will wreak havoc all over the place (especially in the standard mixer)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2013 07:56 #5769 by Tom_ate
Replied by Tom_ate on topic Deviation 2.1.bffc70489f1f (Devo12 support)
>>* The file-format for bmp files on the devo10 has changed a little. Old icons may not be compatible

Could you please add a small hint into the "modelico"-directory about the exact changes, and how to build icons for Devo10 with this new build (which may become to new standard format also for future releases, I am sure...)
Thanks!

Kind regards,

Matthias

More
30 Jan 2013 09:53 #5776 by Naviso
Replied by Naviso on topic Deviation 2.1.bffc70489f1f (Devo12 support)
PB,
thank's for the great work.

Maybe you should advice other users, that they will have to recalibrate the screen after loading your firmware.

After loading your firmware, both my Radios D6 & D12 support telemetry.
They are both initially only the versions without the "S".

Thank you again and keep up the good work.

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
30 Jan 2013 12:04 #5780 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Deviation 2.1.bffc70489f1f (Devo12 support)

Naviso wrote: ...both my Radios D6 & D12 support telemetry...

Astonishing. I always thought the modules with and without "S" differ? Could it be different at longer range (sensibility?)?

More
30 Jan 2013 12:14 #5781 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Deviation 2.1.bffc70489f1f (Devo12 support)
I have read that as well. Telemetry works in the old module but is glicthy.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
30 Jan 2013 13:30 #5784 by OnceAFly
Replied by OnceAFly on topic Deviation 2.1.bffc70489f1f (Devo12 support)
Great!! Now we can test it and dig out all the bugs, so the pros can step on it :cheer:

More
30 Jan 2013 13:45 #5786 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Deviation 2.1.bffc70489f1f (Devo12 support)
Deviation, unlike Walera's firmware, does not try to detect whether the telemetry module is installed. If you don't have it than I believe there is no LNA attached to the CYRF chip. This is the opposite of what the Devo7e has.
It means that receiving telemetry is probably completely unrealistic at any meaningful range.

So Deviation may show you have 'Telemetry' and it may work on the bench, butI'd be really surprised if it worked in the field.

More
30 Jan 2013 13:48 #5787 by PhracturedBlue

Tom_ate wrote: >>* The file-format for bmp files on the devo10 has changed a little. Old icons may not be compatible

Could you please add a small hint into the "modelico"-directory about the exact changes, and how to build icons for Devo10 with this new build (which may become to new standard format also for future releases, I am sure...)
Thanks!

This is likely not a permanent state. But I was unable to actually create bmp files that worked with the old code (I know the syntax, but not how to actually push the buttons in Gimp to achieve it). If someone has instructions on how to do so, I could probably tweak it to work with both syntaxes.

• rbe2012
More
30 Jan 2013 13:48 #5788 by rbe2012
Shouldn't we try to examine if a telemetry capable module is installed and switch off the corresponding functions if not?

More
30 Jan 2013 14:25 #5793 by PhracturedBlue

rbe2012 wrote: Shouldn't we try to examine if a telemetry capable module is installed and switch off the corresponding functions if not?

Why bother? Of all the things I could spend my time on, I see very little ROI on developing that code. You should know enough about your radio to know whether telemetry is going to work or not, and if you get it wrong, no harm is done.

• rbe2012
More
30 Jan 2013 14:40 #5796 by rbe2012
ok, understood. It might be confusing to people to see data and believe they could come from their heli (and take some unnecessary actions like cooling, charging or so or - much worse - believe that deViation is not reliable what is not the fact).
I agree thinking that anyone who gets to this point should know what he does but I'm also quite sure that the reality will bring us back down to earth... sooner or later.

More
30 Jan 2013 14:50 #5798 by Naviso
Can you please tell me how i can check, if the connection between LNA and CYRF is there? the data i receive while flying indoor with the Mini CP are correct (Temperature raising, voltage dropping)
Thank you in advance

More
30 Jan 2013 15:16 #5799 by thloh85
Replied by thloh85 on topic Deviation 2.1.bffc70489f1f (Devo12 support)
In the input monitor, my Devo12 sees the all channel jumping up and down like mad.
The sticks's input monitor keeps skipping around 1-2 up and down. For example, on throttle stick at mid, the value is not a solid 0, rather it runs between -1 to 1. I'm not seeing this behavior on my Devo10 on Deviation 2.1 (not running this experimental build). Is this normal?
Thanks for the reply in adv

More
30 Jan 2013 15:21 - 30 Jan 2013 16:27 #5800 by PhracturedBlue

Naviso wrote: Can you please tell me how i can check, if the connection between LNA and CYRF is there? the data i receive while flying indoor with the Mini CP are correct (Temperature raising, voltage dropping)
Thank you in advance

If it works then it works. If it doesn't work, you'll see the telemetry data turn red (devo8) or inversed(devo10) I think. I am not sure how to detect which module is in your TX. There probably is some way, but I don't know it.
Last edit: 30 Jan 2013 16:27 by PhracturedBlue.

More
30 Jan 2013 15:23 #5801 by PhracturedBlue

thloh85 wrote: In the input monitor, my Devo12 sees the all channel jumping up and down like mad.
The sticks's input monitor keeps skipping around 1-2 up and down. For example, on throttle stick at mid, the value is not a solid 0, rather it runs between -1 to 1. I'm not seeing this behavior on my Devo10 on Deviation 2.1 (not running this experimental build). Is this normal?
Thanks for the reply in adv

Sorry, I should have mentioned this. I see the same thing on my devo12 and not the devo 8/10/7e. I haven't yet debugged it. It is 'normal' for this build, but absolutely needs to be fixed.

More
30 Jan 2013 15:25 #5802 by Naviso
thank you anyway, tomorrow i will do a range check outside.

I keep you posted

More
30 Jan 2013 15:56 #5803 by thloh85
Replied by thloh85 on topic Deviation 2.1.bffc70489f1f (Devo12 support)
Cool PB. Just wanna make sure it's not my hardware acting up :D

More
30 Jan 2013 19:02 #5807 by Hexperience
My new devo 12 will not go into programming mode. Is it the same method as the devo8?

The ext button does work when in the firmware... I'll try popping out battery...

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
30 Jan 2013 19:06 #5808 by PhracturedBlue
I had that issue too and had to read the manual :)
Hold the trainer switch while powering on instead

More
30 Jan 2013 19:11 #5809 by Hexperience
I was just about to delete my embarrassing post... :(
Who would have thought there was anything useful in a manual...

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds