Need an elevon mizer for a V911

More
04 May 2015 15:30 - 04 May 2015 15:31 #32069 by Cereal_Killer
Need an elevon mizer for a V911 was created by Cereal_Killer
Hello guys, I could use some help. I'm sure with enough thought I can scrape it together but I'm pretty burned out on anything code related at the moment, had a big work-related coding marathon last 2 weeks and my brain is just not working at the moment... If it's to hard then I can get it taken care of, I'm still waiting on the last couple parts anyway before I need it, but if someone feels up to it I'd greatly appreciate it.

First off, the file posted is the .ini for a stock (modified but still standard setup) V911, just posting it as a starting point (but feel free to start from your own V911 .ini or even from scratch). Again if you're not up for it no hard feelings, I can get it done but I know some of you guys really enjoy this kind of stuff so again, I'd appreciate it but no pressure...

So I've put a spare V911 brick into a micro flying wing (which, as a typical wing does, only has ailerons, no tail at all) so I need to setup an elevon mixer for it. Seems pretty simple and I imagine I can whip it up pretty easily but again I know some of you guys enjoy helping and making mixers and what kind of business owner would I be if I didnt atleast try to outsource some work lol!

How it works-
control surface movement : stock stick command

right AIL up = stock left AIL
Right AIL down = stock right AIL

Left AIL up = stock ELE up
left AIL down = stock ELE down

Thanks in advance if someone does have a little time to get to it, if you need more info just let me know!

Taranis X9E | DEVO 10 | Devo U7E | Taranis Q7

What I do in real life: rivergoequestrian.com/
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 May 2015 15:31 by Cereal_Killer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2015 06:46 #32093 by mwm
Replied by mwm on topic Need an elevon mizer for a V911
I may not have understood things correctly, but the way I read your description, just connecting the right aileron servo to the bricks aileron output and the left aileron servo to it's elevator output will do what you described, modulo channel reversing. Except that's not an elevon mix.

Rather than trying to sort this out, I'll just point you to vlad_vy's elevon template . If you've already found it and that didn't help, my apologies.

In which case, can you describe what you want to happen in terms of "when stick X does this, channel(s) Y do that". So an elevon mix would be:

Elevator goes up or down -> elevator and aileron channels both go down.
Aileron goes right -> elevator channel goes up, aileron channel goes down.
Aileron goes left -> elevator channels goes down, aileron channels goes up.

Do not ask me questions via PM. Ask in the forums, where I'll answer if I can.

My remotely piloted vehicle ("drone") is a yacht.

More
05 May 2015 13:02 #32099 by Cereal_Killer
Replied by Cereal_Killer on topic Need an elevon mizer for a V911

mwm wrote: Rather than trying to sort this out, I'll just point you to vlad_vy's elevon template . If you've already found it and that didn't help, my apologies.

Thanks for the link, I had read it before but when I was looking for it again I was searching for "MWM's elevon mixing guide" and couldn't find it lol, guess that's why.

I may have the control directions backwards, in which case I could just reverse the channel right? Just to verify, if I want the model to bank / turn right I would need the right side control surface up / left control surface down | when I want it to bank / turn left I would need the left control surface up / right control surface down? Do I have that correct (this is my first plane that has control surfaces on the wings at all, all my other planes are 3 channel with throttle / single tail elevator / rudder only)
So what would happen is
Stick movement : control surface movement
ELE up-> elevator and aileron channels both go up.
ELE down -> elevator and aileron channels both go down.
AIL right -> AIL channel goes up, ELE channel goes down.
AIL left -> ELE channels goes up, AIL channels goes down

In this instance, once setup, what would happen if I were to apply BOTH right AIL and up ELE at the same time, what would that translate to as far as the control surfaces?

More
05 May 2015 13:25 - 05 May 2015 13:25 #32100 by mwm
I don't have a funky mixed fixed wing craft either - just a single 4-channel fixed wing, so my opinion on what should happen is probably no better than yours.

But the "high five" test should still work. If you're not familiar with it, it's a ground equipment test mnemonic for fixed wing. Stand behind the plane and hold your Tx over it. Each stick movement - ailerons & rudder left & right, and elevator backward - causes a "high five" like motion, with the stick and an aircraft control surface moving towards each other.

So aileron stick left means the left alerion goes up, and you've got the rest of them right as well.

If you move them both, you get both sets of movements. Cyclic down left (in mode 2, anyway) could leave the left elevon where it is, and the right one goes up twice as much.

This video might help. There are lots of videos on doing such things with OpenTX (the Taranis firmware) and Er9x and a few others. Those are similar enough to to DeviationTx that translating them to it is straightforward.

Last edit: 05 May 2015 13:25 by mwm.

More
05 May 2015 14:16 #32106 by Cereal_Killer
Ok I've got something put together! I think it's right but I've gotta head to work and stop playing, I'm gonna put the brick back in the wing tonight and [hopefully] try it out.

I do have a strange little quirk with the elevator servo when switching dual rates (actually 3 rates, 40, 65 and 80) the servo moves slightly when on the middle rate, I dont see anything in the code causing that, any ideas what to stop that?

I'm uploading a video now (I'll edit it in in a sec) but I was hoping you could verify whether I had it working correct, especially when applying both ELE and AIL, I'm not sure if it's doing what it should be. Note the little ELE servo "tick" in mid-rate is also shown in the video.

Will be a couple more minutes till video is live.

More
06 May 2015 04:48 #32164 by mwm
Looks right to me. That going to the corners leaves the other side stable just means that you're mixing the two controls in in equal amounts. I have no idea whether or not that's the right thing to do.

Assuming you're using two mixers with an add mux on the second one, the only reason I can think of for the middle rate to jump is that you're not really at zero when the sticks are centered. Possibly one of the four mixes is paying attention to trim and the others aren't, and the trim isn't zero? One of the cyclics needs calibration? Hard to say.

Oh! Seeing the brick called to mind that the V911 has 3-axis stabilization to such an extent that it's been called "over-stabilized". Possibly that's causing problems? Similarly, I have to wonder how that's going to affect your flight characteristics once you have the thing in the air.

More
07 May 2015 07:47 #32200 by Cereal_Killer
For a better visualization of how it works here's a short video of the V911 brick installed in the body. Motor / prop should be here by next week so I can get it in the air!

More
07 May 2015 14:21 - 07 May 2015 14:26 #32210 by Cereal_Killer

mwm wrote: 0Assuming you're using two mixers with an add mux on the second one, the only reason I can think of for the middle rate to jump is that you're not really at zero when the sticks are centered. Possibly one of the four mixes is paying attention to trim and the others aren't, and the trim isn't zero? One of the cyclics needs calibration? Hard to say.

Oh! Seeing the brick called to mind that the V911 has 3-axis stabilization to such an extent that it's been called "over-stabilized". Possibly that's causing problems? Similarly, I have to wonder how that's going to affect your flight characteristics once you have the thing in the air.

I found the problem making it so the middle switch position moved the AIL servo, I accidentally had an offset programmed for that switch position. As far as the stabilization, it only effects the tail motor, main stabilization is ONLY done mechanically (via the fly bar), the gyro just controls the yaw and since I dont have anything on ch4 on the wing I wont have an issue, if I did want to use a second motor on the M1 output (the output to the tail motor) I could physically break the gyro and that would disable all on-board stabilization. Have a look at this thread for some ideas of how to use these little $8 bricks in 3ch planes!

Last edit: 07 May 2015 14:26 by Cereal_Killer.

More
07 Apr 2018 17:39 #68542 by han04
Replied by han04 on topic Need an elevon mizer for a V911
this tmplate work for jumper t8sg ?

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds