RC Logger OneLink Protocol

More
19 Jan 2014 01:21 #18656 by EArHog
RC Logger OneLink Protocol was created by EArHog
I just receive the RC Logger Xtreme RTF brushless motor quad and a OneLink add-on module for my Devo/Deviation 7E transmitter. I am currently flying the Xtreme with the stock transmitter. I intend to eventually use my own radio. I need some help (a lot of help) setting up my 7E to work with the Xtreme.

I am happy to forego Beginner Mode, due to limitations with the 7E (not enough switches and buttons). It wouldn't break my heart if I don't have access to the auto-flip acrobatic feature. I just want to use my radio for cruisin' and sport flying. But whatever features that the 7E can accommodate, that would be great.

The Xtreme owner's manual includes some detailed instructions for setting up the Spektrum DX6i with OneLink. However, I am not savy enough to use that guidance as a template for setting up my radio.

There are obviously other radios besides Spektrum dx6i that people will want to use with the Xtreme. Can we use a discussion thread to help those folks get their radios set up, too?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2014 08:55 #18667 by robca
Replied by robca on topic RC Logger OneLink Protocol
If you have the OneLink (which takes the PPM output from a radio Tx and uses it to control a separate radio sending commands to the built-in Extreme receiver), all you have to do is choose PPM as a protocol in your model setup and connect the PPM output of your 7E to the OneLink input (and set up your model configuration)

It would be great if someone could reverse engineer the Extreme protocol and allow Deviation to control the quad without the OneLink or a PPM receiver. But, for your setup, you do not need a new protocol

You just need a model.ini with the right settings. I don't have an Extreme (yet), so can't help, but I suggest you ask in the Model Configs section

More
19 Jan 2014 09:44 #18668 by SeByDocKy
Replied by SeByDocKy on topic RC Logger OneLink Protocol

robca wrote: If you have the OneLink (which takes the PPM output from a radio Tx and uses it to control a separate radio sending commands to the built-in Extreme receiver), all you have to do is choose PPM as a protocol in your model setup and connect the PPM output of your 7E to the OneLink input (and set up your model configuration)

It would be great if someone could reverse engineer the Extreme protocol and allow Deviation to control the quad without the OneLink or a PPM receiver. But, for your setup, you do not need a new protocol

You just need a model.ini with the right settings. I don't have an Extreme (yet), so can't help, but I suggest you ask in the Model Configs section

To reverse engineer, we have to know if the RF chips used by the onelink is one of the 4 supported by deviationX. If onelink owner can open the module and make photo of the RF ....

More
19 Jan 2014 14:28 #18677 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic RC Logger OneLink Protocol

SeByDocKy wrote: To reverse engineer, we have to know if the RF chips used by the onelink is one of the 4 supported by deviationX. If onelink owner can open the module and make photo of the RF ....

We could probably learn the same thing y looking at the rx board which is usually easier to get to

More
19 Jan 2014 17:26 #18698 by EArHog
Replied by EArHog on topic RC Logger OneLink Protocol

robca wrote: If you have the OneLink (which takes the PPM output from a radio Tx and uses it to control a separate radio sending commands to the built-in Extreme receiver), all you have to do is choose PPM as a protocol in your model setup and connect the PPM output of your 7E to the OneLink input (and set up your model configuration)

Thanks Rob. You're exactly right - I should ask about a model config. in the other forum.

It would be very cool not to have the OneLink hanging off the back of my radio. But my more immediate desire is just to get it flying using my radio. :)

More
19 Jan 2014 20:32 - 19 Jan 2014 20:37 #18714 by robca

PhracturedBlue wrote:

SeByDocKy wrote: To reverse engineer, we have to know if the RF chips used by the onelink is one of the 4 supported by deviationX. If onelink owner can open the module and make photo of the RF ....

We could probably learn the same thing y looking at the rx board which is usually easier to get to

I asked on the Extreme forum on RC Groups, and someone kindly posted a picture static.rcgroups.net/forums/attachments/3...0034-22-IMG_0127.jpg

unfortunately it looks as if the markings have been removed from all chips (it's not the picture: there is really nothing visible on the chips, according to the person who took the picture)

As soon as I receive mine (still at least 6 weeks away), I'll be happy to look into this further (and capture data, if you help point me in the right direction... i'm assuming a cheap Saleae USB logic analyzer is needed, right? if so, I might as well go ahead and order one :)).
Last edit: 19 Jan 2014 20:37 by robca.

More
19 Jan 2014 21:16 #18719 by SeByDocKy

robca wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote:

As soon as I receive mine (still at least 6 weeks away), I'll be happy to look into this further (and capture data, if you help point me in the right direction... i'm assuming a cheap Saleae USB logic analyzer is needed, right? if so, I might as well go ahead and order one :)).

Yes a saleae is required

More
20 Jan 2014 03:02 #18735 by EArHog

robca wrote: unfortunately it looks as if the markings have been removed from all chips (it's not the picture: there is really nothing visible on the chips, according to the person who took the picture)

Did you see the pic of the FC that I posted (#4215)? I think I see text on the chips where I saw none of the pic that jtravel posted.

More
20 Jan 2014 07:43 #18762 by robca
Thanks for doing it!

Here's the link: www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27241372&postcount=4215

yes, that's a much better picture. unfortunately it looks as if the rx is under the black blob (the other two chips seem to far from what I think it's the antenna, and one of them is an ARM processor, probably the main processor for the board)

More
20 Jan 2014 07:55 #18763 by victzh
Replied by victzh on topic RC Logger OneLink Protocol
I have a couple of TX SPI dumps, kindly provided by one of members of this forum. Judging by a brief look at it and the value of quartz on the TX (26MHz) it is CC2500.

Can this thread be moved to Protocol Development?

More
20 Jan 2014 19:25 #18795 by EArHog

victzh wrote: Can this thread be moved to Protocol Development?

I've not started a thread before, so I was most unsure about where I should start. Sorry about that.

More
20 Jan 2014 19:26 #18796 by EArHog

robca wrote: Thanks for doing it!

Here's the link: www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=27241372&postcount=4215

yes, that's a much better picture. unfortunately it looks as if the rx is under the black blob (the other two chips seem to far from what I think it's the antenna, and one of them is an ARM processor, probably the main processor for the board)

Just let me know if there's anything I can do to assist. :)

More
24 Jan 2014 21:12 #19044 by victzh
I found that there is micro quad with 2.4GHz radio (as opposed to 915MHz one of RC EYE One) - it's RC EYE One S. It is more affordable than Extreme, so when some of discount shops have it in stock I plan to buy one and reverse it's protocol. I hope that the protocol is the same as the Extreme's, so it probably would help.

More
24 Jan 2014 21:54 - 26 Jan 2014 01:05 #19050 by EArHog

victzh wrote: I found that there is micro quad with 2.4GHz radio (as opposed to 915MHz one of RC EYE One) - it's RC EYE One S. It is more affordable than Extreme, so when some of discount shops have it in stock I plan to buy one and reverse it's protocol. I hope that the protocol is the same as the Extreme's, so it probably would help.

I confirmed w/ RCL that the Tx for the Xtreme can be used to fly the One S, and I understand that it's backwards forward compatible.
Last edit: 26 Jan 2014 01:05 by EArHog.

More
24 Jan 2014 22:56 #19053 by victzh
Great. Then I'll wait for it to be available and affordable (DHL from RC Logger is not an option).

More
07 Feb 2014 01:02 #19955 by goebish
Replied by goebish on topic RC Logger OneLink Protocol
I had a (quick) look at the dump too, but I can only see clock, enable and one data line, looks like MISO or MOSI is missing, except if the CC2500 can be used in 3 wires mode, like the A7105 ? Or maybe it's not a CC2500 ...

More
07 Feb 2014 07:02 #19961 by victzh
From what I have it is very hard to tell - the clock is inverted and chip select is active high (if it's chip select). As I did not solder it myself and did not run logic analyzer I can not ensure that the connection is good etc. As soon as I have the hardware and can analyze it myself I will know better.

More
13 Feb 2014 07:11 - 13 Feb 2014 07:11 #20225 by robca
One of the RC Logger folks just posted on RC Groups that the Extreme uses an EM9209 transceiver www.emmicroelectronic.com/Products.asp?IdProduct=311

The bad news is that it's currently only available as a die (COB - chip on board), not as a packaged SMD component (and that explains the picture with the black blob)... Wikipedia explanation at the end of this post

The good news is that there seems to be someone making a module: wenku.baidu.com/view/70e602a2d4d8d15abf234e02.html . That would make it very easy... the company making it is www.c-max.com.hk/en/technology/rfcomm/2_4g_trans_ic , but they do not have the datasheet on their website

How hard it will be to get one, that's the question...

Passing on, hoping more can be found...

(Also, one of the key Rc Logger people is considering releasing protocol info under NDA, after Victzh asked)

COB: Chip-On-Board; a bare silicon chip, that is usually an integrated circuit, is supplied without a package (usually a lead frame overmolded with epoxy) and is attached, often with epoxy, directly to a circuit board. The chip is then wire bonded and protected from mechanical damage and contamination by an epoxy "glob-top".
Last edit: 13 Feb 2014 07:11 by robca.

More
13 Feb 2014 07:20 #20227 by SeByDocKy

robca wrote: One of the RC Logger folks just posted on RC Groups that the Extreme uses an EM9209 transceiver www.emmicroelectronic.com/Products.asp?IdProduct=311

The bad news is that it's currently only available as a die (COB - chip on board), not as a packaged SMD component (and that explains the picture with the black blob)... Wikipedia explanation at the end of this post

The good news is that there seems to be someone making a module: wenku.baidu.com/view/70e602a2d4d8d15abf234e02.html . That would make it very easy... the company making it is www.c-max.com.hk/en/technology/rfcomm/2_4g_trans_ic , but they do not have the datasheet on their website

How hard it will be to get one, that's the question...

Passing on, hoping more can be found...

(Also, one of the key Rc Logger people is considering releasing protocol info under NDA, after Victzh asked)

COB: Chip-On-Board; a bare silicon chip, that is usually an integrated circuit, is supplied without a package (usually a lead frame overmolded with epoxy) and is attached, often with epoxy, directly to a circuit board. The chip is then wire bonded and protected from mechanical damage and contamination by an epoxy "glob-top".

Yes just read this news ... Basically, this RF chip is using GFSK modulation, so maybe via nRF24L01, it would be possible to emulate this protocol ? (If speed communication are compatible) ?

More
13 Feb 2014 14:25 - 13 Feb 2014 14:25 #20231 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic RC Logger OneLink Protocol
Looks like it is FSK, not GFSK (the difference being the Gaussian Filter). I think the A7105 is more likely to be able to talk to this. It has very fine-grain control within its operating range. If they use the lowest rate (1.5kBps) then we're likely out of luck with that approach.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2014 14:25 by PhracturedBlue.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds