Kyosho Mini-z & DSM 2 FOR RC CARS PROTOCOL REQUEST

More
28 Feb 2014 07:14 #20949 by shaoul
Aloha all

I already control my TRAXXAS 1/16 via my DEVO 10 with an Orange RX air DSM 2 ,but i wish i could control my Mini-z with my DEVO 10 too.

For this i would need either a mini-z protocol sended or a a DSM 2 " Ground " ( DSMR i think ) Protocol , Besause we now can find dsm 2 board for mini-z .

Thanks for help guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Feb 2014 17:09 #20980 by victzh
Make a detailed photo of Mini-z receiver insides, put it somewhere and put a link here so that we can evaluate feasibility of it. Don't put the photo here, only link - this forum downscales images so that they not very useful for analysis.

More
01 Mar 2014 20:30 #21043 by Fixy
Hi

I'm interested in Kyosho/KO Propo too for dNano (which uses same tx/rx as Mini-Z) so I'll try and help as I can.
I have found a hack of a KO Propo Mini-Z module into a FlySky radio with alot of pictures which should help here: wiki.hb9tuh.org/index.php/FlySkyGT3B
You can see the module uses a CYRF6936.
If needed I can try to take some pictures of the dNano pcb but I have a poor quality camera.
Hope this helps.

More
02 Mar 2014 10:00 #21070 by Fixy
I had to open the Dnano this morning so I took pictures as best as I could.
www.flickr.com/photos/63811379@N07/12874537483/
www.flickr.com/photos/63811379@N07/12874876484/
Left chip is a CYRF6936, right chip is a PIC16F690.

More
04 Mar 2014 10:06 #21164 by victzh
Yea, the only problem is that it is very expensive (for a person who's not into Kyosho cars). So you need to find a person capable of reverse engineering it and having interest in this kind of models.

More
04 Mar 2014 12:16 #21171 by Fixy
Yes the cheap Tx is like 80€ and the receiver is on the same pcb as the ESC so that's about another 80€ may be 70 for a dnano. I guess the best way is to find someone able to lend some hardware.
Still I find strange that there's not more interest in "surface protocol" simply to have an all-in-one radio.

Anyway I've looked around a bit more and found a guy building a module so I guess he had to analyze the protocol at some point... Here's a video

More
04 Mar 2014 15:02 #21179 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Kyosho Mini-z & DSM 2 FOR RC CARS PROTOCOL REQUEST
I don't know the guy, but his video seems to show him hooking his board to the Tx module, so he is probably just emulating the sticks, and may not have done any protocol work.

The dNano stuff looks quite expensive. The Syncro is much cheaper, but my guess is that it is not compatible. Most car folks use a trigger-grip transmitter these days, don't they? I'm not sure there is a lot of interest in using a Deviation transmitter for cars (though I have used mine with my Redcat)

As victzh says, we could probably support this easily enough, but it requires someone interested in doing some hacking. Generally it is much easier to hack the Tx than the Rx. Assuming it looks similar, they'd need to solder 4 wires onto that PIC chip and hook it up to a logic analyzer.

If someone ever does, we can help them capture the needed data to start work on the protocol.

More
04 Mar 2014 18:44 #21193 by victzh
I am not too happy with my trigger-grip controller - they have strange firmware which is not easy to configure. I'd prefer Deviation ;-).

More
05 Mar 2014 06:22 #21221 by Fixy
Yes, Kyosho is very expensive mostly because they're pretty much alone on their 1/27 - 1/43 market and dictate whatever price they want.
As for helping I can't do much as my electronic and coding skills are very basic at best.
May be someone can compile some links to tutorials/informations to point people willing to learn/help. For example here, What logic analyzer would I need? How hard is it to operate? How much does it cost? Some very basic questions... I guess many peoples are willing to help but don't know how or even where to start.

About car controller, stick-radio are still well used for crawler and drift cars. Recently enough KO Propo released an hybrid trigger-grip radio with a stick instead of the wheel, seems like there's still some interest in sticks. To me it's more the "universal controller" side of thing who's very appealing like universal module you're working on.

On the technical side of thing it looks like spektrum surface/marine dsm2/dsmr, kyosho ASF and ko propo SS won't need any electronic hacking, only coding. I believe spektrum is the cheapest and may be the most popular out of those three systems to get if you want to play around with surface protocols a DX2E with rx is 60$ new, so i guess you can find very cheap used one.

More
07 Mar 2014 00:17 #21315 by shaoul
Excellents inputs guys , thanks for your interest with it and participating to making it a reality .

A TX to rule them all !

Have a good day everybody

More
21 Jul 2014 17:58 #24734 by a178235
I have a Redcat Earthquake 8E with a DSM-2C transmitter and wanted to know if Deviation will bind to it. I tried DSM2, but it didn't bind.

More
21 Jul 2014 20:26 #24738 by Fixy
I don't think so. I'm not sure if your radio is "spektrum DSM" but anyway spektrum surface protocols are different from air ones and Deviation only has air protocol for spektrum. May be one day if spektrum surface protocols are hacked.

More
21 Jul 2014 20:44 #24739 by a178235
OK. I was hoping it would as PhracturedBlue stated "I'm not sure there is a lot of interest in using a Deviation transmitter for cars (though I have used mine with my Redcat)"

More
21 Jul 2014 22:26 - 21 Jul 2014 23:44 #24742 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Kyosho Mini-z & DSM 2 FOR RC CARS PROTOCOL REQUEST
See here:
www.deviationtx.com/forum/3-feedback-que...gies-supported#24743

Please don't post the same question in multiple threads in the future.
Last edit: 21 Jul 2014 23:44 by PhracturedBlue.

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds