Serial out for LRS boxes

More
29 Jan 2019 01:17 - 29 Jan 2019 01:17 #72598 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
You'll need the nightly for SBUS. Also jitter in PPM is reduced in the nightly..

When an internal radio is active the green LED is on.

Please post a scan of any documentation you receive with the Wolfbox. Haven't been able to find anything that describes exactly the meaning jumper settings. Seems like it controls some built-in hardware that has to be modded into most other modules for serial input and telemetry.

The link you posted is the site of some firmware called UltimateLRS. Banggood says the Wolfbox comes loaded with openlrsng. Which do you plan to use?

Are you planning to use telemetry? The information I found indicates the hardware only supports telemetry if PPM is used for control. Maybe the Wolfbox is different. Banggood just links to the opernlrsng site for Wolfbox documentation, but didn't find anything there specific to Wolfbox. And if you use UltimateLRS an Teensy board must be programmed and installed in the Wolfbox.

So if you flash the nightly SBUS should work fine, with the proper jumper setting and firmware configuration on the Wolfbox. If you want telemetry we'll have to do some experimenting. The opernlrsng configurator software has four telemetry settings: No, Yes, Frsky, and SmartPort. Need to look at the code to see the differences.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 01:17 by hexfet.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2019 01:54 - 31 Jan 2019 02:08 #72600 by Rjx
Replied by Rjx on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Ok. On my transmitter I have saved model setups/model icon.. How do I save this (and re-upload)? Before I do any flashing.
=========
Regarding the wolfbox, this is what I currently know (from goggling *Lots* info from past 2 days).

With hardware wolfbox, its an RFM23BP module controlled by an atmega328(arduino bootloader) w/c takes ppm(and sbus?) If its configured to be a Tx... OR spews out PPM(or sbus) along with 1khz(?)pwm->>RC filter for analog rssi.max 3v3. This also depends HOW it is configured. It has a PC app(GUI) for configuring parameters.

I have not installed the ULRS configurator yet.so I dont know what configs are there. Will do that when my UHF arrives.

With the wolfbox also, atmega is i think(?) 3v3 (underpowerd)powered with I think 16MHz xtal. The RFM module is also 3v3 powered. Its marketed as 1watt, but according to measurements, its RF output is only around 400mW.because of 3v3 power. Max it could take safely is 5v to 5v5. Dont believe the datasheet saying a max of 6v.

Wolfbox is a clone(of orangerx , I think?) .

Wolfbox also comes stock flashed with EDIT: NOT openlrsng(!) W/c development of firmware was halted around 2015
flashable with openlrsng or ultimatelrs fw.

What he told me, since im also having a hard time where/how to start, was to Fresh start on "ULRS mini"... And now I finally understood how hardware is setup. Arduino+RF module. He owns the site ive mentioned earlier.

My wolfbox is due to arrive 2 weeks from now. And I have also ordered a few pcs of the RFM modules as well.. For a diy approach. Wish I had done this , before ordering the wolfbox combo.

Actually I have two radios to play with. The T8SGv2+ & flysky i6(fw modded). PPM for i6 and PPM(or possibly SBUS with rssi) for T8SG.

I hope this is clear now. I cant comment any further.no hardware to check atm.

Oh and before I forget, the Orange lrs and perhaps the wolfbox, needs to be flashed with 3v3 FTDI(well it would survive a 5v) but the RF module wont. Its data lines are not 5v tolerant.

Please check ULRS mini. There is reference schematic there and lots of info.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2019 02:08 by Rjx.

More
29 Jan 2019 04:04 #72604 by hexfet
The ULRS mini page has a lot of good information. Some of the design implementations show their schematics. It seems none of them have hardware options for using SBUS or telemetry on the JR connector. When you can run the configurator we can see if there's an options for SBUS control. On the website s.port telemetry is on the future features list, but can't tell when it was last updated. The ULRS code is not open source so can't check directly.

The openlsrng github project page had activity last year so doesn't seem completely dead.

More
29 Jan 2019 15:36 #72611 by NotFastEnuf
Replied by NotFastEnuf on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Any advice specific to the Devo 8 to consider? I am about to dive in. What mcu pin am I targeting? Sorry for asking the question instead of looking in the code.

I'm gonna have to design/print myself a module bay to hack into the back of my transmitter. I'd like to switch between r9 and crsf modules.

More
29 Jan 2019 17:08 #72613 by hexfet
It's probably easier to pick up the signals from the trainer port. The devo8 mcu pin assignments are here if you'd rather solder to the chip.

A bit of wiring and a jumper or switch is needed to easily change between R9M and Crossfire modules if you plan to use CRSF protocol. For CRSF the Devo TX and RX connections need to be shorted together and connected to the CRSF pin (bottom JR pin) on the Crossfire module. For PXX the TX signal goes to the top JR pin (PPM/PXX) and the RX signal is connected to the bottom JR pin (s.port).

Due to the devo8 hardware, when using a serial protocol all voice playback will be turned off.

More
29 Jan 2019 17:23 - 29 Jan 2019 17:37 #72614 by NotFastEnuf
Good point thank you. So a makeshift half duplex sort of thing for crossfire. I've often wondered why their receiver connection to the fc doesn't also utilize the half duplex that's built in to the protocol and requires a separate Rx and tx connection. Seems a little backwards. They could have kept separate Rx and tx on their modules at no inconvenience to any user but saved us a wire when wiring up a receiver. Or it's possible my limited knowledge of these things is the problem and I should keep my mouth shut . Haha Anyway, enough rant... I have a radio to open up! Thanks hexfet
Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 17:37 by NotFastEnuf.

More
29 Jan 2019 23:55 #72619 by Rjx
Hexfet

Indeed I see some jitters in the JRbay, PPM stream viewed from my scope.

Now I need to flash a nightly build. After I see some tutorials how-to

More
05 Feb 2019 03:08 #72719 by NotFastEnuf
Well I finally got my feet wet with crossfire. For now I'm just just running it off of a mono trainer cable as my interest is more heavily in adding a crsf protocol to the Silverware flight controller firmware. So far so good, everything seems to be working as expected. Only one bug that I see is on the telemetry page, when the tx module is in 250mw ... It is reporting gibberish. 25mw and 100mw report readable values.

The tbs agent software still leaves much to be desired as far as configurability of the micro tx module. Getting into Lua scripts for more functionality here may be the perfect time to explore some smart audio capabilities.

Gonna jump into PXX next.

More
06 Feb 2019 01:09 #72726 by hexfet
I'm not able to duplicate this issue. Telemetry looks fine at all power levels.

I'm testing with the full-size crossfire module - is that what you have? I've tested with firmwares 2.41 and 2.88.

There is no 250mW power setting that I could find for any frequency - did you mean 25mW? If not what are the other configuration settings when you see the 250mW power setting available?

More
06 Feb 2019 02:21 - 06 Feb 2019 02:42 #72727 by NotFastEnuf
Sorry I should have added more details. I'm testing with the micro tx module which does 250mw, 100mw, and 25mw. I am also using a Devo 8. Maybe that's the problem - the micro tx module has a power setting that the full size does not have. As far as settings, in the agent configurator I can set my power output to stay on any one of these 3 values or use the dynamic power setting which will automatically change them based on packet loss telemetry or corrupted packets that the crc tossses out or whatever. Would a data capture with my power set on 250mw help... Or how can I be of service to correct the issue?

I should also include I am testing with 2.88 tbs version. For whatever reason I can not test any earlier versions as it seems the micro tx module once updated to 2.88 can not downgrade a receiver using either it's button sequence away from the agent or the agent software gui. The module will flash to earlier versions fine but receiver downgrade updates fail and bind is lost. Updating the module back to 2.88 immediately restores bind. So every Rx I have is stuck on 2.88. I've tried on multiple receivers. Maybe the experience is different on a tango or taranis.
Last edit: 06 Feb 2019 02:42 by NotFastEnuf.

More
06 Feb 2019 04:36 #72728 by hexfet
Yes, a data capture would be great. The format is serial async 8N1 at 400000bps. Either FTDI or logic analyzer is fine.

The document I have says the power level is indicated by a telemetry value 0-6, corresponding to 0, 10, 25, 100, 500mW, 1W, 2W. Maybe they tacked 250mW on the end which would grab a random value for display. Is it only the power level telemetry that's wrong, or other fields as well?

Made a test build (f156a82) just in case this wild guess is correct. Please give it a try.

More
07 Feb 2019 05:24 #72745 by NotFastEnuf
Getting called out of town unexpectedly and wont be returning till Sunday so I do not have a chance to do a data capture until then ... but I was able to flash your test build real quick tonight. The 250mw setting is reporting properly for this build. All other values appear correctly as well but I am only able to comment on the native values returned by the receiver. I have not added any telemetry functionality to my crossfire silverware protocol yet and my only receiver is still on a breadboard. :)

Would the log still be helpful? Are you curious to see the actual value being sent back during 250mw operation or are you happy with your solution in the test build? I do not mind recording one when I return.

More
08 Feb 2019 03:03 #72804 by hexfet
That's good news. Yes a capture would still be interesting to see if there are any other differences. No hurry as I'm also traveling the next 7 days.

More
21 Feb 2019 00:26 #72942 by Pepe
Replied by Pepe on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Any news about setting up the crossfire rx with the v2 plus?

More
21 Feb 2019 16:45 #72956 by hexfet
It's reached the top of my list, but no code yet. Looking at options for best way to add the feature. It's interesting because the configuration options come from the device being configured. I'll post updates in the CRSF thread.

More
22 Feb 2019 19:23 #72969 by NotFastEnuf
Hexfet, sorry I have not had a chance to take that data capture. I promise to get to it soon. I just noticed in your test build I flashed that transmit power output levels for the devo 8 build were stuck on 150mw. I know this build wasn't intended as a daily driver and this has nothing to do with serial out - but I thought I would mention it in case you were not aware. I have only been using this particular transmitter to connect to different breadboards/dev boards for testing stuff so I had not noticed until now

More
22 Feb 2019 19:59 #72970 by hexfet
Thanks, that problem is not in the current build. There's also a PR for the 250mW support that's awaiting another approval before merge.

More
25 Feb 2019 00:55 - 25 Feb 2019 01:01 #73004 by NotFastEnuf
Not sure the best way to post a data capture here so I just stuck it in my google drive. If you prefer I could just take a screenshot if you clue me in on which bit of the signal to zoom in on.

drive.google.com/file/d/1FWzpPHGyPMJLwPD...-DG/view?usp=sharing

This capture was taken between the Devo and the TX module. I noticed 12th block from the end was always a 7... but I have not gotten in deep enough in my studies to know what position to look at.
Last edit: 25 Feb 2019 01:01 by NotFastEnuf.

More
02 Mar 2019 08:25 - 02 Mar 2019 20:19 #73115 by Rjx
Guys

Have a question

Bug?

Just recently updated my T8SG v2plus (to fix the ppm jitter problems) to

t8sg_v2_plus-v5.0.0-cd5f95c

And restored all settings from previous.

When I check max output power, its only 100mW(from the previous 150mW)!

What gives? Was this intentional? Or something I did wrong in restoring some files?

Sorry. Barking on the wrong tree here. Anyways, hows it going with sbus/sumd output?

I have OLRSng/wolfbox here. Ive set it to output sbus instead of PPM. Im not sure though how id set it up to accept sumd/sbus for input. Im on the latest fw 3.9.0.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2019 20:19 by Rjx.

More
02 Mar 2019 20:44 #73127 by Fernandez
Replied by Fernandez on topic Serial out for LRS boxes
Sbus output in deviation should work

Time to create page: 0.076 seconds