Syma X5C - 1 for Devo 7e

More
31 Jan 2015 07:17 - 31 Jan 2015 07:48 #28281 by DroneBee
Replied by DroneBee on topic Syma X5C - 1 for Devo 7e
Is it possible to know what module is already installed on a 7e before buying it? I'm looking at this one from eBay and would like to control a Syma X5C-1 with it. It sounds like I might have to purchase an additional TX module as well?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Devo-7E-Transmitter-7-Channel-W-LCD-Display-Screen-for-Walkera-Super-CP-RC-/311149818746?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4871f9737a

(Thanks for all your help!)
Last edit: 31 Jan 2015 07:48 by DroneBee.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2015 10:08 #28282 by jjw_d7e
Replied by jjw_d7e on topic Syma X5C - 1 for Devo 7e
Hi DroneBee, I'm no expert as you have seen but the 7e on ebay looks like stock controller without the right module fitted. You will need to install a NRF24L01+ module and install the same software as I have just done. I have seen some stockists selling these 7e's with the modules pre-installed and I think it was Stateside stockist's as well but for the life of me I can't remember their name. My be a Google search will bring results.
I hope this helps.

More
31 Jan 2015 10:22 #28284 by jjw_d7e
AND YES! My Devo 7e now controls my Hubsan X4's L,C and D, My JJRC-H8C and best of all my Syma X5C-1.
Who's a happy bunny then?

Thanks again.
Jerry.
:) :) :) :)

More
31 Jan 2015 11:00 #28287 by Durete
Replied by Durete on topic Syma X5C - 1 for Devo 7e
Great! :)

More
02 Feb 2015 21:33 #28370 by DroneBee
That’s so great to hear, Jerry! My main consideration is improving the range of the X5C-1, so I went ahead and ordered a 7e and this 2.4G NRF24L01+PA+LNA Wireless Module . I’ll also install this cable and antenna .

Am I correct in thinking that the range modification that involves shorting a diode on the stock module will not directly affect any other installed modules? My take is I’ll be relying on the power amplifier on the NRF24L01+ module to improve the x5C-1 range, so the diode short mod won't have any effect. What’s your range with your setup, Jerry?

And thank you Durete - I so appreciate your input here and in other forums!

More
02 Feb 2015 21:58 #28371 by jjw_d7e
Hi DroneBee, I read about this range hack when I was researching the fitment of these modules and I belive this hack has no effect on the modules fitted by you. Your cable and antenna look fine but I have fitted an antenna with a higher gain. I'll post a picture of my set up if it helps. I've replaced the antenna I originally fitted.

Regarding range I haven't had an opportunity to try the Syma X5C-1out in the open yet due to adverse weather conditions but my JJRC-H8C which uses the same module flys alot better using the 7e where as when useing the stock controller it used to keep loosing the signal evan at quite close range.
As the eyesight isn't as good as it used to be I only fly these quads as far as I can still keep orientation but I would say I've had it a good 150mtrs away and still working fine.
I didn't do the range hack on my 7e as I have nothing to fly that uses it's stock transmitter.
Attachments:

More
03 Feb 2015 04:47 #28374 by DroneBee
Thanks so much! Great looking setup you have there. Very interesting antenna. I thought the 10dB gain came at a cost of directionality, but the links I've turned up for similar looking antennas still claim they are omnidirectional. Once I have the RP-SMA connected to the NRF24L01+ module I should be able to experiment with some different antennas. Thanks again for the very clear photo (and neat captions!). Mine should arrive in 1 - 2 weeks.

All best,
Ariel

More
03 Feb 2015 14:32 - 03 Feb 2015 14:36 #28380 by aMax
Replied by aMax on topic Syma X5C - 1 for Devo 7e
I have two of these dualband antennas, but they seem to have no more than 2dBi gain on the 2.4 Ghz band. Maybe only 6dBi for 5,8 Ghz.

Testet with a wlan router and a usb wlan stick and there was no gain at 2.4 Ghz.

Edit:
Would be nice to hear the opposite.

Devo7e, TaranisQ X7, R9M , 4in1 MM, Futaba FC18plusV3.2 & DFT/FLD-02
Last edit: 03 Feb 2015 14:36 by aMax.

More
03 Feb 2015 15:13 - 03 Feb 2015 15:14 #28382 by jjw_d7e
The only reason I fitted the duel band antenna in the first place was because it was recommended by someone who had modded their 7e using this type of antenna and as I didn't know any better I did too. I later thought why do I need a duel band antenna when I'm only using 2.4ghz so I changed it to the other one shown in my picture. I've not had a chance to try the new one yet at range due to, wind, rain, hail, sleet and snow, but hopefully I will soon.
:)
Last edit: 03 Feb 2015 15:14 by jjw_d7e.

More
08 Feb 2015 18:34 #28461 by DroneBee
I've got Deviation installed (woo!) and will try to solder the NRF24L01+ module on this afternoon. There was some discussion of a new wiring protocol for the A7105 module, so three questions:

1) Is this tutorial still the best way to install the NRF24L01+ module for the X5C-1?
2) No need to worry about shielding for the NRF24L01+ module?
3) Then install hexfet's most recent .dfu to bind and control the X5C-1?

Thanks!

More
08 Feb 2015 18:59 - 24 May 2015 12:19 #28462 by Durete

DroneBee wrote: I've got Deviation installed (woo!) and will try to solder the NRF24L01+ module on this afternoon. There was some discussion of a new wiring protocol for the A7105 module, so three questions:

1) Is this tutorial still the best way to install the NRF24L01+ module for the X5C-1?
2) No need to worry about shielding for the NRF24L01+ module?
3) Then install hexfet's most recent .dfu to bind and control the X5C-1?

Thanks!

1) Yes, the tutorial from Daryoon is very good. He has very good quality photos.
Only one recommendation. Better bridge Pins 2-3 (VCC-CE) into the nRf24L01 module than solder 2 cables.
2) Yes, you don't need to shield the nrf24l01 module, but better install at the upper side of the Devo TX. I attached a photo of my 7E with nRf24L01 and A7105 modules installed. As you can see the better option is at the upper side of the TX.

3) Yes, these is the latest build with X5C-1 protocol, and Hexfet found how to Randomize the TX address, so at this moment is the best option. Don't need to worry if more than one guy are flying X5C protocol with Devo transmitters.
I tested these build 2 hours ago with my X11C without any problem flying about 1 hour.
Attachments:
Last edit: 24 May 2015 12:19 by Durete.

More
12 Feb 2015 08:04 - 12 Feb 2015 08:49 #28587 by DroneBee
OK got the module soldered on and the deviation-devo7e-v4.0.1-23f37a6 build installed. I started to configure a model to use the proper protocol, but I can't figure out how to bind to the X5C-1.

Edit: got it to bind by deleting all numbers in the Fixed ID menu. It binds! Should I now assign a Fixed ID? Will it auto-bind?

Also, flight seems unstable. When I calibrate the sticks, do I also have to calibrate the left-right direction as well? On the stock transmitter, calibrating the gyro is accomplished by holding both sticks down and to the right. Is the procedure the same with Deviation? Will try more troubleshooting in the morning.

If anyone has a model template for the X5C-1 to share I would be very grateful!
Last edit: 12 Feb 2015 08:49 by DroneBee. Reason: Successfully binded

More
12 Feb 2015 08:59 #28588 by Durete
Please, check the second post from this thread :pinch:

My model file for the X11C should work for your X5C-1.

More
12 Feb 2015 14:07 #28594 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Syma X5C - 1 for Devo 7e

DroneBee wrote: Edit: got it to bind by deleting all numbers in the Fixed ID menu. It binds! Should I now assign a Fixed ID? Will it auto-bind?

Also, flight seems unstable. When I calibrate the sticks, do I also have to calibrate the left-right direction as well? On the stock transmitter, calibrating the gyro is accomplished by holding both sticks down and to the right. Is the procedure the same with Deviation? Will try more troubleshooting in the morning.

These models re-bind every time you power them on. The fixed ID doesn't really matter.

Gyro calibration happens every time you power them on. That's why they have to be motionless for several seconds after turning on. Accelerometer calibration by holding both sticks bottom right works the same with Deviation. The quad must be both still and level for acc calibration. Make sure the scale is set high enough that the quad recognizes the lower-right stick positions.

More
12 Feb 2015 14:20 #28596 by jjw_d7e
My X5C binds straight away and I can calibrate it the same as on the stock controller.
I took it for it's first proper outdoor flight yesterday and she flew great, flips, camara and control all good.
As far as range is concerned I checked on Google Earth when I got home and I got it 115meters away before the eyesight started to blur but I reckon it could go further. That'll do for me.

Attachments:

More
12 Feb 2015 17:30 #28601 by DroneBee
:foreheadslap: indeed! Thanks, folks. :oops:

OK Durete's X11 model.ini file installed and everything looks pretty great except I can't get the camera buttons to work. Is that because I installed the latest build from here instead of the one in the thread here ?

The range is amazing!! I usually test by walking the quad down the block, and I quickly reached the end of the block. I've never reached the end of the block. :-)

More
12 Feb 2015 17:50 - 12 Feb 2015 17:51 #28602 by hexfet
Replied by hexfet on topic Syma X5C - 1 for Devo 7e

DroneBee wrote: Is that because I installed the latest build from here instead of the one in the thread here ?

Yes, that's correct. I plan to update devationtx tonight so the feature will be in the nightlies after tomorrow.

Be aware that the channels for camera control will change (from 7/8 to 6/7) so model files will need to be updated when moving to the deviatontx build. The rate control channel will be removed - use mixers to adjust rates.
Last edit: 12 Feb 2015 17:51 by hexfet.

More
13 Feb 2015 06:48 #28625 by DroneBee
Just wanted to report back - everything is working great just in time for a trip this weekend. I could not be happier. I look forward to learning more about mixing and how the channel assignments work. I'm just so impressed with the community's work here. Thanks again.

More
15 Feb 2015 16:06 - 15 Feb 2015 16:08 #28728 by Durete
After latest changes at SymaX protocol (remove the rates channel to reduce protocol size), the channels for Picture/video change from 7/8 to 6/7.
Now we need to simulate rates with the Devo Mixer.

Here is my Model file for Syma X11C and valid also for Syma X5C-1 with latest protocol changes.

Hold1 - Flip Mode On.
FMod0 - Low rates (50% scale AIL/ELE with 35% Expo)
Fmod1 - High rates (100% scale AIL/ELE with 15% Expo)

Throttle Trim UP - Take Picture
Throttle Trim DOWN - Start/Stop Video

File Attachment:

File Name: SymaX11C.zip
File Size:1 KB

This Model file is valid when use a DeviationTX build from 2-14-15 or later.
Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Feb 2015 16:08 by Durete.

More
24 Feb 2015 23:48 - 24 Feb 2015 23:50 #29083 by DroneBee
My Syma X5C-1 has been working great with my Devo 7e, but today it dropped out of the sky after 30 sec of flying. I thought it was a bad quad battery so I swapped battery, but the same thing happened again. The quadcopter flew but didn't quite feel as responsive as it normally does, and then slowly lost power before losing all altitude. After crashing, the camera stopped working and was disconnected. I removed the camera, binded the quad again, and it seemed to fly fine for a minute or so before I brought it down for further troubleshooting.

My thought was a bad battery, but testing both batteries showed 4.2v and 4.0v. The voltage indicator on the transmitter indicates 5.25v. I use NiMH batteries that have been in the TX for about a week with about an hour's worth of flight time on them.

I'm worried that maybe my soldering job with the module is no good... Wondering if anyone here has encountered a problem like this before. Makes me glad I didn't have a more expensive quad in the air.

Attachments:
Last edit: 24 Feb 2015 23:50 by DroneBee.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds