Devo 12

More
05 Jan 2013 11:21 - 05 Jan 2013 11:23 #4690 by domcars0
Replied by domcars0 on topic Devo 12

rangebound wrote: Well I wont be switching to Devo12 until PB includes a port of Doom and MAME embedded in the FW ;) :P :woohoo:

That should be about 3 days work for a man of your talents PB :pinch: :whistle: :silly:

What 3 days ? Do you think PB is a newbie ? This will work this afternoon , for sure :woohoo: (3 days is the days he needed to port deviation on a Devo7e!)
@PB : Please... could you also port "Sim's 3" or "Myst" on my Devo 10 :S

Devo 10 (+7e) owner. It's mine, please don't touch it with your big fingers :angry:
Last edit: 05 Jan 2013 11:23 by domcars0.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2013 13:58 - 05 Jan 2013 13:58 #4696 by Sid3ways
Replied by Sid3ways on topic Didn't even turn it on?
How do you have the will to not even power it on and play with it??? :P

Hopefully it is an easy port when you get around to doing it!

Cheers,
Andy
Last edit: 05 Jan 2013 13:58 by Sid3ways.

More
05 Jan 2013 17:33 #4703 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Didn't even turn it on?
You underestimate the number of tasks (and other hobbies / responsibilities) I have going on at any one time. The Devo12 has been out of its box just long enough for me to take a single picture.

As I've stated before, a proper Devo12 implementation will be quite an undertaking since the larger screen will require redesigning virtually every configuration page.

My hope is to do a crude port which uses the devo8 interface (scaled to the devo12 screen) as a quick&dirty 1st implementation so that we can at least have something to start with.

I certainly won't start until I'm done with the Devo7e work though.

More
05 Jan 2013 20:44 #4711 by RugWarrior
Replied by RugWarrior on topic Devo 12
They are a bit hyped at the moment... I think it is great that you spend time on such a great project among all your other tasks! Do not hurry! Take your time for the Devo 7E port. After the initial support some of us can be better supoort you as most of us are not that advanced like you. And there are more 7E users than 12S i think..?!

I am happy to see the project growing :)

And that more and more are joining it B)

More
11 Jan 2013 17:33 #4929 by Sid3ways
Replied by Sid3ways on topic Devo 12
Yes I would have to agree. I don't see any reason to rush it, a quick Devo8 port to it to start would be a great option to start. :) I'll be checking in and will provide any assistance if I can.

More
11 Jan 2013 19:01 - 11 Jan 2013 19:02 #4930 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Devo 12
I wonder how different the boot loader is? If I were to simply try to flash the 8s firmware to the 12s what would happen? I'm sure the video drivers need to be reworked, but what else would cause it to fail?

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Last edit: 11 Jan 2013 19:02 by Hexperience.

More
12 Jan 2013 14:02 #4942 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo 12
Don't do the latter.
While I haven't checked it yet, the memory layout may be different on the devo12. If it is, you could corrupt your bootloader and have something which requires a SWD debugger to fix. That is the worst case scenario.
The best case scenario is that everything works but you can't see anything on the screeen.

More
20 Jan 2013 00:41 - 20 Jan 2013 00:43 #5222 by PhracturedBlue
Now that the Devo7e code is merged, I've started looking at the Devo12.
Interestingly, they used a 2MB SPI flash (probably for model and configuration files) and a 2nd 16MB parallel-flash (probably for the images). The devo8/10 have a 4MB SPI flash, and the Devo7e has a 2MB SPI flash. You might say 'Cool 16MB + 2MB is way bigger than 4MB'. However, there is a problem. the 16MB ROM has 128kB page sizes whereas the SPI flash has 4kB page sizes. This means you need to erase 128kB at a time on the big flash chip. Additionally, while there is a 2MB SDRAM, it is dedicated to the display and I don't think is accessible by the MCU. That leaves us with 64kB of RAM for use. That makes building a filesystem quite challenging, since you can't easily store more than 1 file per page unless you have the ability to copy the contents of a flash page to memory, modify and write it back out.

So we might end up with the Devo12 only supporting a usb filesystem for the models, and not for the rest of the system.

Additionally, the Graphics driver they used is not very popular, so I haven't yet found an example library for it (well, epson provides one, but it isn't useful to me). That means writing my own, which will slow things down a little.

On the plus side, this thing is very cool. It is really well built (much better than any of the other Walkera Tx), and weighs less than my Devo10 despite being much bigger.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2013 00:43 by PhracturedBlue.

More
20 Jan 2013 02:02 #5223 by Hexperience
No hurry.... Mine wont be here for a least another week ;)

PB.... You are a technomaniac.. Keep up the great work.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
21 Jan 2013 07:05 #5294 by PhracturedBlue
A bit more Devo12 info:
I've mapped out a bunch of the pins, though by no means all of them. One annoyance is that the Trainer port is not attached to the UART, so getting a debug terminal is harder.
Still, I can power on/off the Tx, and read/write from the SPI flash, so that is a good beginning.

More
21 Jan 2013 10:20 #5301 by Sid3ways
Replied by Sid3ways on topic Devo 12
That is great news PB that you are starting development on the 12. I will keep my ear to this thread to watch the progress you can make.

Once again I thank you for the work you put in on this project!

More
21 Jan 2013 13:45 #5305 by thloh85
Replied by thloh85 on topic Devo 12
Thanks PB for bringing such a great firmware to all Devo TX!!! :D

More
25 Jan 2013 04:47 #5493 by PhracturedBlue
Well, after a bunch of banging my head against the wall, I finally figured out how to get the display working. So that is one more big item checked off.

I am going to limit the screen to 320x240x16 initially so that we can reuse the Devo8 GUI, but I am able to write to the entire 480x272 screen in 24bit color right now.

I still need to learn how to interface with the parallel-ROM, and figure out how I want to use it.

I also need to check if the touch sensor works the same way it does on the Devo8.

After that it is mostly a matter of figuring out all the buttons and switches, and then we should have a Devo8 port working on this beast.

While they did not use the same pins for the PPM and UART, they were nice enough to put pin-headers on the UART pins on the circuit board, so hooking up a debug terminal was easy after all.

More
25 Jan 2013 21:14 #5520 by Hexperience
Ok! Times up!! My Devo12 is in... I don't have it in my hands yet, it's waiting at home... damn this working for a living stuff. ;)

PB, as usual, thanks for your work... I was going to say hard work, but I know you are having fun with it. :)

Cheers!

More
27 Jan 2013 06:39 #5556 by PhracturedBlue
Well, I'm getting really close I hope.
I have all analog inputs working
I have all switches working
I have all buttons working
I have the SPI and Parallel ROMS working

I have not yet tested the touch sensor, but it is the same one used on the devo8, so I assume it'll just work.
I have not yet figured out how sound works on this Tx.
I have not yet tested USB, though I assume that will just-work too

All the work I am doing now is just hardware enabling. Once I've got all the hardware functional and documented, I then start working on the actual transmitter code.

One thing I found is that to support the Devo12 properly, I need to rename the dual-rate switches in all transmitters. All switches will be one-hot instead of binary. that means that 'AIL DR' becomes 'AIL DR0' and 'AIL DR1' (or in the case of the Devo12 AIL DR0, AIL DR1, AIL DR2)
However, I am not yet sure how to make this change backwards compatible with all existing model files.

I also learned how to detect charging and 'powered by outlet' conditions. I think I can do it on the Devo8 too, though mine is too modified and no longer detects these conditions.

More
27 Jan 2013 11:59 #5562 by Hexperience
Great work as always PB.

From what you have seen of it so far, do you think that it will be possible to flash back to the original firmware if we need/want to? Or does it look like a one time shot?

Can't wait to try it out.

Cheers!!

More
27 Jan 2013 12:39 #5563 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo 12

PhracturedBlue wrote: One thing I found is that to support the Devo12 properly, I need to rename the dual-rate switches in all transmitters. All switches will be one-hot instead of binary. that means that 'AIL DR' becomes 'AIL DR0' and 'AIL DR1' (or in the case of the Devo12 AIL DR0, AIL DR1, AIL DR2)
However, I am not yet sure how to make this change backwards compatible with all existing model files.

It's easy. All the previous dr key value is equivalent of the new dr1...

• rbe2012
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
27 Jan 2013 12:45 #5564 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Devo 12
Yes - concerning the value. But what about model.ini? They will be incompatible or we need a mechanism to understand both notifications in every tx model.

More
27 Jan 2013 12:51 - 27 Jan 2013 12:59 #5567 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Devo 12
AIL DR = AIL DR1
!AIL DR = AIL DR0

We can read and parse from ini file 'old' or 'new' value and then save to ini file only 'new' value.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2013 12:59 by vlad_vy.

More
27 Jan 2013 13:31 #5568 by PhracturedBlue
Flashing back to the original firmware is fine, I've done it several times.
You will loose all settings and models though, unlike the devo6/8/10

Time to create page: 0.066 seconds