Devo 12

More
30 Jan 2013 07:12 #5767 by thloh85
Replied by thloh85 on topic Devo 12
Thanks PB for making this happen so quickly!!! I cannot wait to end my working day and go home to play with this awesome firmware :D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2013 07:44 #5768 by Eriskio
Replied by Eriskio on topic Devo 12
:woohoo: :silly: :)
PB, only a word: FANTASTIC! SPECTACULAR JOB!

It is always possible to save models on PC before firmware upgrade to be able to restoring them, isn't?
Some work indeed, but this way it is always possible test new firmware without losing models, I think.

More
30 Jan 2013 13:41 #5785 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Devo 12
I think the Walkera DFuSe tool only allows downloading one model at a time. I don't think it allows downloading the configuration at all.
You can use the STM DFuSE tool to download the entire SPI Flash image (and then restore it the same way), but youneed to be careful not to use it for 'upgrading' the firmware, since it will not work for that. I don't think this is generally a workable solution.

There are 2 alternatives:
1) I can write my own DFuSE upgrade tool. I've been thinking about that for a while now. It would:
* give a solution to Windows, Mac, and Linux folks
* prevent the accidental 'upload' that corrupts your DFU
* prevent installing a firmware for the wrong Tx
* Allow easy backup/restor of the config/models

2) We could have Deviation preserve the space used by Walkera's config/model files. This is what we do fro the Devo 8/10. But the Devo12 and 7e have a smaller flash chip, and this will eat into the space available for icons and models if I do it on the Devo12.

More
30 Jan 2013 14:02 #5790 by Eriskio

PhracturedBlue wrote: 2) We could have Deviation preserve the space used by Walkera's config/model files. This is what we do fro the Devo 8/10. But the Devo12 and 7e have a smaller flash chip, and this will eat into the space available for icons and models if I do it on the Devo12.

Actually (and IMHO) I think it is not necessary to be able to "store" all configurations in memory (both walkera and deviation versions".
I think the problem could be limited just the time to migrate from one software to another, move all parameters, check they work correctly or for debug purposes.
From a RC pilot point of view it has no sense to go back and forth from a software to another, except for debugging and behaviours comparison.
I mean (and I think) that the migration should be some sort of "definitive" thing (if anything is working as expected :) ).
So, I vote for the first solution! :lol: Even if it an further effort for you... and we all will have to say "thanks" to you in some way... :whistle:

More
30 Jan 2013 14:22 #5792 by PhracturedBlue
I am aware of which is the 'best' option, and they aren't mutually exclusive.

The Walkera configuration takes up 61 * 4096 = 250kB of a 2MB flash chip I believe. That is 60 models + the config data.
In Deviaton, the current usage is 380kB for the base system (since the media is not part of the filesystem, and is by far the largest part). If we were to preserve the walkera config, that would leave us ~1.5MB for icons. The current icons are 96x96 and take up 18kb (20kb on disk). So you can get ~70 model icons onto Deviation with 100 model files. Of course we may go to a larger icon size for the Devo12 eventually which would reduce that. Not preserving the Walkera model/config would enable another 10 or so model icons.

So likely I will go to (2) before release. It makes it easier for folks to try Deviation, see if they like it, and then go back if they don't. Just common courtesy. At the moment it doesn't actually limit us significantly.

More
30 Jan 2013 19:29 - 31 Jan 2013 13:17 #5811 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Devo 12
In another thread we previously discussed the benefits of a PC based Support interface for Deviation. Most of us have more than one Tx, and such a PC based tool could be very helpful for making backups, transferring models to different TX units, etc:

My wish list for such a USB / PC support application:

1) Model - Upload
2) Model - Download
3) Model - New Model from template
4) Model - Edit (existing model)
5) Model - Copy (duplicate existing model)
6) Model - Compare (to another model)
7) Model - Archive (to PC disk)
8.) Upgrade - Uploading Deviation Firmware, dfu files and file system
9) etc

Edit: Of course they will all be running Deviation firmware!
Last edit: 31 Jan 2013 13:17 by RandMental.

More
31 Jan 2013 05:23 #5822 by Ustas69
Replied by Ustas69 on topic Devo 12
As end user I can confirm that 60 models is more than enough. I think the second solution is better.

More
31 Jan 2013 12:34 #5838 by Sid3ways
Replied by Sid3ways on topic Devo 12
60 models is WAY more than enough, hell even 30 models and all of the functionality would make me happy. :)

More
31 Jan 2013 14:30 #5839 by Babay
Replied by Babay on topic Devo 12

PhracturedBlue wrote: 1) I can write my own DFuSE upgrade tool. I've been thinking about that for a while now. It would:

I agree on the first solution, because for Linux still does not have a normal tool to update the firmware. I have use a virtual machine just for this.

More
31 Jan 2013 14:35 #5840 by Eriskio

Babay wrote:

PhracturedBlue wrote: 1) I can write my own DFuSE upgrade tool. I've been thinking about that for a while now. It would:

I agree on the first solution, because for Linux still does not have a normal tool to update the firmware. I have use a virtual machine just for this.

Ya, actually the big difference than makes the first solution preferable is not (limited to) the number of models you could store in memory but the others concept PB exposed (and Babay quoted): portability, safety, ease of use.

More
31 Jan 2013 16:44 #5847 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Devo 12
I'd love to see this PC software include the emulator core. That way we could load firmwares into it just like eepe.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
31 Jan 2013 17:46 #5853 by PhracturedBlue
that isn't likely to happen. An arm emulator is a huge effort. The current emulator system should be close enough for virtually everyone's needs.
The 'emulator' is actually just a different target (like devo6, devo8, devo10) that builds against fltk. So it isn't really na emulator at all, but is a native build for the PC. As such, it isn't possible to load a firmware into it.

More
31 Jan 2013 17:53 #5854 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic Devo 12
I see. Either way, we have the emulator and it could be "tied in" to PC software to edit or test model configs.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
01 Feb 2013 05:15 #5872 by Ustas69
Replied by Ustas69 on topic Devo 12
Buy www.ebay.com/itm/New-1PCS-SST25VF032B-25...&hash=item4d0740c6dc and solder. And we have 4MB spi flash.

More
01 Feb 2013 05:25 #5873 by PhracturedBlue
I found some wear leveling code I'm going to try out. If it works as I hope, it will provide ~17MB of filesystem space with no need to load the library dfu.

More
01 Feb 2013 05:54 #5875 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Devo 12

FDR wrote: Cool!
What's next? F7 or F4? ;)

I think it has not sence at all. Devo F7 has not graphical interface, it looks like text subtitles on video display.

More
01 Feb 2013 10:40 - 01 Feb 2013 10:46 #5880 by RandMental
Replied by RandMental on topic Devo 12, now what is next

What is next?

I believe once we have this version stable and released, including code to make full use of the Devo12 larger screen) we should look at a few enhancements to Deviation environment applicable to all TX versions:

1) Formal support for PPM output and Simulators like Phoenix, Realview, etc
2) Support for a Trainer function betweeen two Deviation TX's
3) PC based support environment.
4) ....

PB, any thoughs on this and where you want to take this?

(EDIT: I know we have PPM support, but PB still needs to sign it off)
Last edit: 01 Feb 2013 10:46 by RandMental.

More
01 Feb 2013 15:35 #5883 by Wene001
Replied by Wene001 on topic Devo 12
The Image om my Deviation sticker
Attachments:

More
01 Feb 2013 15:43 #5884 by FDR
Replied by FDR on topic Devo 12
So, you've just upsized it and cleaned a bit, haven't you? ;)

More
02 Feb 2013 21:40 #5925 by PhracturedBlue
I've just committd the following fixes:
* Properly calculate battery voltage
* Add a low-pass filter to handle ADC noise. I'm almost positive this noise is due to bad route paths on the Devo12 circuit board, so there's nothing else to do about it
* Add PPM output of trainer port

Time to create page: 0.071 seconds