I just need a little help getting started - PLEASE

More
20 Nov 2012 14:54 #3027 by Rain4LA
Thanks so much for developing this tool. I just have no idea how to use it. I'm a total newb, so forgive me - but I'm loving these helicopters. Could you please tell me where to drop these preset .ini files to have them set up for different models? I need to know the procedure, because manually inputting these settings is wayyyy too confusimg right now. I'm looking for beginner settings on several CP models.

Thank you so much in advance for any help!

Todd

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Nov 2012 15:03 #3028 by FDR
You should rename the downloaded model.ini file according to the model slot you want it to be in. For example if you want it to be the third model, then it should be named "model3.ini".
Then copy it to the "models" directory, overwriting the existing one.

That's it...

More
20 Nov 2012 15:06 #3029 by Rain4LA
But I thought I wasn't supposed to copy over the models directory. What you're saying makes total sense now. Should I just copy over the blank models directory from Deviation, since I don't have one at all?

More
20 Nov 2012 15:23 #3030 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic I just need a little help getting started - PLEASE
Think of the files as slots. Once you have a config in the model (settings in the file) you don't want to copy over those settings.
When you first start up you need to have "blank" slots. Those are the files. You can tell by the size. A blank slot is 1k while a slot (file) with config in it will be at least 4k in size.

So if you want to download an ini file, put it in a slot that you know is empty. (as FDR said rename it.)

AFTER you have config files, you don't want to copy over those files, with the blanks that come in the devo-FS (for file system) zip file. If you do, you will be replacing a 4k file with config in it with one that is 1k is "blank".

Easy thing to do is make a backup model folder right in the devo, and just use windows explorer to copy your good config ini files into the backup folder. Then if you ever need to, you can just copy them back.

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.

More
20 Nov 2012 15:24 #3032 by FDR
Do you mean you don't have a "models" directory, or is it just empty?
Anyway, it is an incomplete installation then.
After inthalling the firmware's dfu file and formatted the USB drive (if you went that route, not the dfu filesystem upgrade), then you should copy the contents of the filesystem directory to the root of the newly formatted USB drive. It means 5 directories and the tx.ini file. That way your "models" directory will contain 30 empty model.ini files, plus the default.
If you haven't configured any models yet, then you can overwrite any of them (except perhaps the default).

More
20 Nov 2012 15:46 #3036 by Rain4LA
Thanks very much for your help guys. I installed everything correctly, but read that I wasn't supposed to copy over the models directory from the file system. In my case, it didn't matter because my Devo 8s is new and had only one model - which was set generically. Anyway, I copied the models directory over through USB just now,and dropped in the settings for a Nano cpX & viola! I have a model programmed in there like magic! I'm super psyched and you guys are incredibly helpful Thank you so much.

Todd

More
20 Nov 2012 15:55 #3038 by FDR
You shouldn't overwrite it with the future upgrades, otherwise you will loose you model configs. It is wise to always make a backup of them every time you make significant changes...

More
20 Nov 2012 18:09 #3047 by Rain4LA
I understand. Thank you, and in the future, I'll make a back-up. But in the meantime, is there a trick to binding a Nano cpx? Do I need a bind key to erase the old code? I can get the blades to move with either stick, but they won't spin - and the blue light flashes slowly. Never a constant.
Again, thanks for your help and patience.
(btw, I bought my Nano new as a BNF and don't remember seeing any kind of bind key)

More
20 Nov 2012 18:59 - 20 Nov 2012 19:05 #3049 by Hexperience
Replied by Hexperience on topic I just need a little help getting started - PLEASE
There is no bind plug/key needed. The Ncpx will go into bind mode (flashing fast) if it doesn't see a signal.

To bind, plug in the battery and when it's flashing fast, you can press the bind button in the Devo8. (Tap the model to get to model config, then go right one page. You'll see the protocol etc, at the bottom is the bind id and button.

Two things, though, you have to make sure the heli is still and somewhat level or it wont want to bind, and make sure your throttle is all the way down.

Once bound, make sure all your switches are set so that you are not in throttle hold.

Good luck

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't.
Attachments:
Last edit: 20 Nov 2012 19:05 by Hexperience.

More
20 Nov 2012 19:10 #3053 by rototophe

Hexperience wrote: There is no bind plug/key needed. The Ncpx will go into bind mode (flashing fast) if it doesn't see a signal.

To bind, plug in the battery and when it's flashing fast, you can press the bind button in the Devo8. (Tap the model to get to model config, then go right one page. You'll see the protocol etc, at the bottom is the bind id and button.

Two things, though, you have to make sure the heli is still and somewhat level or it wont want to bind, and make sure your throttle is all the way down.

Once bound, make sure all your switches are set so that you are not in throttle hold.

Good luck

You'd probably want to move the rudder stick full right during the binding sequence as well so the Nano knows it's being bound to a computer radio...

More
20 Nov 2012 19:39 #3057 by Rain4LA
Okay cool. I'm almost home, so I'll try that. Just one more thing - do I need to erase the code that is in there before I bind?

More
20 Nov 2012 19:44 #3058 by Rain4LA
Holy crap! It freakin' worked!

COOLEST. THING. EVER.

Thank you, thank you and thank you!

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds