Strange behavior with Blade mQX (rebind?)

• rbe2012
  • rbe2012's Avatar Topic Author
  • So much to do, so little time...
More
04 Dec 2012 08:00 #3613 by rbe2012
I don't know if this is a common problem or if I did something wrong so I would like to get a confirmation:
I have updated deviation to 2.0 (models and icons saved, dfu installed, fs copied, models and icons restored). With my mQX (uses DSM2) I have seen that sometimes a rebind is necessary.
The mQX has a security feature (?): it shuts down all motors when a overload appears. This can happen if one ore more rotors are blocked (esp. when lipo is not fully loaded). With deviation 1.2 I can pull throttle down and fly again.
With 2.0 in most cases (maybe 3 of 4) I have do rebind the mQX. The mQX has a LED which is normally constantly lighted. This is the case also when I run into this problem - all seems ok but the mQX doesn't show any reaction.
With rebinding I had only one time success with simply pressing the bind button. In the other cases I had to re-initialize the flight mode (X or +) with moving rudder left or right at binding, sometimes more than once.
What I saw is that when pressing bind the LED goes off for a short time. If the time is less than a second (maybe a half) rebinding is not successful, when it goes off for about 2 seconds everything is fine.
I did not test other helis / quads in the evening. I hope I can do this today. I have a Nano CP X which should have the same security feature.
For further interest my modelXX.ini is attached.
I really like to know if someone else has observed such a behavior.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Dec 2012 14:06 #3618 by PhracturedBlue
Replied by PhracturedBlue on topic Strange behavior with Blade mQX (rebind?)
There were several changes to the DSM2 protocol for Deviation 2.0, but I am unsure of anything that would change this specific behavior. How does a real Spektrum Tx work? Does reducing the throttle reset it?
One thing that did change is that in the old Deviation, 100% was equal to 150% in the Spektrum Tx, whereas now it is 100%. so when the throttle is off, it used to send '150%' and now sends '100%' and maybe that isn't low enough to trigger the reset. updating the scale value to 150 on the throttle limit would give you the old behavior possibly.

More
04 Dec 2012 14:33 - 04 Dec 2012 14:33 #3620 by vlad_vy
Replied by vlad_vy on topic Strange behavior with Blade mQX (rebind?)
I have not such problem with my mQX and Deviation 2.0. All working fine. After mQX shuts down all motors when a overload appears, I can pull throttle down for several seconds and fly again.
Last edit: 04 Dec 2012 14:33 by vlad_vy.

• rbe2012
More
04 Dec 2012 15:02 #3621 by rbe2012
Replied by rbe2012 on topic Strange behavior with Blade mQX (rebind?)
Thanks for your answers. I will try later. I can imagine that scaling could be the reason - this was one of the walls I ran against when configuring a model file for my Nano CP X.

• rbe2012
More
04 Dec 2012 19:59 #3629 by rbe2012
Ok, checked further. Waiting longer for the mQX to sattle down has no effect at all.
When I scale throttle to 180% and set the margins step by step until +/-180, then I can rebind the mQX if the throttle value is below -165%. Same happened when I added -65% to throttle with gear as switch.
I can not rebind if throttle is higher than -165%. This is true for all kinds of binding (normal or changing X/+-config).
And I really have to rebind every time I produced overload (except a very short one where one or two rotors still move).
This is clearly new in 2.0, never seen something similar with 1.1.2.

I tested my Nano CPx. With 1.1.2 I had a throttle curve straight 1:1 with 62% scaled - because the heli reacts when throttle reaches -60% and does not get faster if throttle comes over 60%.
With 2.0 I have do take the scaling away (set to 100%). Now the motor starts at about -91%. I had to scale aile/elev by the same value (formerly 70%, now 100%) to have a similar reaction.

Next test is with Spektrum DX4e. I have never flown the mQX with it, but we'll see...

• rbe2012
More
04 Dec 2012 20:09 #3630 by rbe2012
Teh DX4e is a kind of toy-like compared to the Devo8, but it works. And it seems to be more reliable - I was not able ro reproduce the fault. Pulling throttle down and flying again, no problems, no rebind.

So - binding with the Devo8 works with some workaround. But the neccessity to do this is quite tedious.

More
05 Dec 2012 06:01 #3649 by vlad_vy
For mQX: try set hrottle scale=100%, then bind mQX, disconnect flight battery, set maximum throttle, connect flight battery, after binding lower throttle to minimum. Maybe it helps.

• rbe2012
More
05 Dec 2012 20:43 #3679 by rbe2012
Hi vlad_vy,
you resolved my problem.
I think it was associated with the new servo ways in 2.0 and after learning the new throttle way the mQX worked fine every time the motor overloaded... LED goes off for a very short time when overload occurs, but I did not have to rebind (tried at least 25 times, with shutting off the mQX and the TX in any combination).
Thank you very much. I was afraid that I would have to go back to 1.1.2 and do more testing.
I have not found the procedure you described in the manual. Are there perhaps some more tricks?
And what about the published DSM model configs here in the forum. Do you think that they have to be revised?

More
06 Dec 2012 04:07 #3690 by vlad_vy
I've already revised my DSM2 configs in the forum.

I don't know other tricks for mQX, but trick with throttle calibration is very common for many ESCs, it works almost for every Blade/E-Flite UM model.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds